: How to read real mileage from your Caddy

nyikodem
03-23-11, 04:50 PM
Hi!

I have an used 2006 Cadillac sts V6.
I would like to know the real mileage, because I bought it from a used car dealer and you never know... AND my car givs me two interesting messages:

1. Disable intrusion sys
2. Service theft system
Suspicious...

Where can I read about mileage and ECU topics?
I think this kind of car should have 2-3 ECUs which could store mileage.
What kind of computer can be good for this operation (read out mileage) BOSCH KTS-650?????
Where can I find the connectors in my car?
How many ECUs are there in my car and where?

Sorry about lot of questions.

Thank you in advance for any info.
ps.:Sorry for my bad English.

Nyikodem
from Hungary

ddalder
03-24-11, 01:39 AM
The messages you describe are related to the vehicle theft deterrent system and won't have anything to do with possible tampering of your odometer. The number of "ECU's" (modules) in your car will be more than 20 but this number will vary depending on your options. The odometer value is stored in your instrument cluster. Swapping your cluster will not generate the messages you mention, but will change the number of miles/kilometers displayed.

z06bigbird
03-24-11, 02:28 AM
Carfax might show some mileage inconsistencies.

EChas3
03-24-11, 10:35 PM
Bottom line - If the GM VIN report showing lifetime dealer service doesn't look suspicious, the mileage is correct or you'll never be able to find anything different.

galaxy1000
04-17-11, 12:33 AM
Your mileage is stored in a few places. The ECM, bcm, and the odometer cluster to name a few. A knowledgeable tech with a the proper scanner can access the information thru the obd2 port.

ddalder
04-17-11, 12:44 AM
Your mileage is stored in a few places. The ECM, bcm, and the odometer cluster to name a few. A knowledgeable tech with a the proper scanner can access the information thru the obd2 port.
Where are you getting this information? I disagree. GM has published in the FSM where the odometer reading is stored in each vehicle. It can vary from vehicle to vehicle, but what you state doesn't make any sense. I've had my cluster replaced by a GM ESC and was programmed to the original value before being sent out to the dealership. None of my other modules were sent and programmed to match, nor do dealerships have the ability to set odometers. How would you keep multiple modules coordinated and ensure any accuracy? In my other late model GM vehicles, I've swapped a couple of BCM's, ECM's and clusters. In every case the odometer has followed the cluster.

dkozloski
04-17-11, 02:16 AM
Where are you getting this information? I disagree. GM has published in the FSM where the odometer reading is stored in each vehicle. It can vary from vehicle to vehicle, but what you state doesn't make any sense. I've had my cluster replaced by a GM ESC and was programmed to the original value before being sent out to the dealership. None of my other modules were sent and programmed to match, nor do dealerships not the ability to set odometers. How would you keep multiple modules coordinated and ensure any accuracy? In my other late model GM vehicles, I've swapped a couple of BCM's, ECM's and clusters. In every case the odometer has followed the cluster.

You're exactly right. Milage is stored and displayed in the instrument cluster and no place else.

EChas3
04-18-11, 10:35 PM
^^^ No reason to doubt the truth as stated. Therefore, any STS can have whatever mileage a dealer desires.

galaxy1000
04-18-11, 11:07 PM
Just going on my 30 years in the auto industry that includes running GM dealerships. This includes in depth conversations about what I stated with GM technicians and the fact that a number of people have been caught and convicted for odometer fraud by having the true mileage come out on the ECM.