: Bill Shatner turns 80

Rolex
03-23-11, 10:55 AM
http://blogs.forbes.com/briancaulfield/2011/03/22/william-shatner-the-original-early-adopter-turns-80/

Cpt Kirk has become a later in life dot com millionaire because of priceline. I used to think the guy was a little obnoxious/over the top but over the past few years I began to like the guy. I think he learned to sell himself as "over the top" and has made a damn nice living for it.

So happpy B-day bill. :cheers: Here's to many more.

Stingroo
03-23-11, 11:04 AM
SHATNER'S OLD

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050610171733/familyguy/images/thumb/f/f3/Olliewilliams.gif/300px-Olliewilliams.gif

OffThaHorseCEO
03-23-11, 11:19 AM
The indef@gitable actor is best known for playing Captain James T. Kirk in the sixties television series “Star Trek.”

1. indef@gitable - Incapable of being or becoming ghey.
"Sorry dude, I'm inde***itable. Go find someone else to hit on."

i thought he meant indefatigable, thought it was a typo. guess not

johnny kannapo
03-23-11, 05:02 PM
A year older than Liz Taylor.

Submariner409
03-23-11, 06:02 PM
From '70 - '72 I was on shore duty in Hartford, CT. Lived in Middletown, down the CT River a ways. Between there and New Haven were several summer stock theaters. Ivoryton was a really neat, small theater for plays. Got lucky and caught Shatner in a comedy - don't even remember which one, but at half time curtain he invited the audience to a cocktail party on the lawn after the show. Actually met him and chatted - seemed like a nice guy.

Destroyer
03-24-11, 09:25 AM
That is a cool story Sub. I always liked Shatner but shouldn't we all be having this conversation after he dies? :hmm::lildevil:

Submariner409
03-24-11, 10:20 AM
That is a cool story Sub. I always liked Shatner but shouldn't we all be having this conversation after he dies? :hmm::lildevil:

Heck - He made 80: decent milestone for an actor - and he's still doing some work. Remember when the "entertainment news" was following his increasing tinnitus (ringing in the ears) ? He has a really bad case (mine isn't so wonderful, either) and underwent some sort of analysis to cope with it - he said it almost drove him mad for several years. For people who have tinnitus, it's a constant ringing, whistling "pink noise" set of tones in your ears that overlays everything you hear - it never goes away, 24/7/365. You learn to live with it or go crazy. There's no known cure. Comes from not wearing ear protection in areas of loud noise. One reason why, nowadays, you see everyone in loud noise environments wearing either plugs or Mickey Mouse ears (early Navy ear protector cups).

Rolex
03-24-11, 11:58 AM
I think B'shat is still holding up pretty well for being an octogenarian. I see people every day that are half his age and much less healthy.

Stingroo
03-24-11, 12:53 PM
I'd have never guessed he was 80, honestly.

Aron9000
03-25-11, 05:31 AM
I'd have never guessed he was 80, honestly.

Oh the wonders of plastic surgery, hair transplant, and hair dye. I need to catch up on my Shat, haven't watched any of his new show "Shit my dad says" or whatever its called. Supposed to be pretty good.

CIWS
03-27-11, 09:07 PM
Three of the original Star Trek actors are all within the same age. Shatner, Nimoy, and Nichols.

Jesda
03-28-11, 12:43 AM
He looks 65 on "Shit My Dad Says"

He looked 60 on Boston Legal

Stingroo
03-28-11, 01:00 AM
Exactly.

johnny kannapo
03-28-11, 01:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMoWt0wnlUw

HartfordGuy
03-28-11, 09:49 AM
True. He looks great for 80 yrs old.

Lately they have been running TJ Hooker reruns on TV. That hair piece he wore was terrible. One of the comedy shows of the time made fun of it with a parody commercial for a hair piece called the "Shatner Turbo 2000".

It was good to see Shatner in Boston legal. That was a great part for him.

ben.gators
02-02-14, 07:17 AM
It is time to bump this thread! :D

I am a big fan of NBC TV series The Blacklist, mostly because of James Spader. This TV series reminds me of Boston Legal, and my other favorite actor, William Shatner. I am watching Boston Legal again now. What a nice work. It is always entertaining and amusing although I have watched it couple of times before. Bill is now 83 and still counting! Live long and prosper!

Aron9000
02-02-14, 07:56 AM
It is time to bump this thread! :D

I am a big fan of NBC TV series The Blacklist, mostly because of James Spader. This TV series reminds me of Boston Legal, and my other favorite actor, William Shatner. I am watching Boston Legal again now. What a nice work. It is always entertaining and amusing although I have watched it couple of times before. Bill is now 83 and still counting! Live long and prosper!

Godspeed Bill Shatner. My Grandpa isn't much older at 88, yet age has put much more of a burden on this man, both physically and mentally.

Hoosier Daddy
02-02-14, 08:29 AM
I've never forgiven him for what he tried to do to Average Joe's Gym.

talismandave
02-02-14, 10:16 AM
http://s18.postimg.org/nhnaoemuh/144196d.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
imgur (http://postimage.org/)

orconn
02-02-14, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately I came to know Shatner back in the 1990's. I say unfortunately because he was one of the most nasty, narcissistic, worthless human beings I have ever met. He stabled his horse at the same facility where my and some folks who became friends along the way stabled theirs. Shatner was rude, obnoxious to everyone he came in contact with. Understand that the other people around the stables were far more successful than Bill Shatner and treated him in the friendly manner usually present among horse people. Somet9imes I would see him at horse show and at first nodded hello only to receive a scowl in return. This was before he made a fortune with his fortune doing ads for travel company, and he was just another second rate Hollywood actor picking up an occasional ad. It was also about this time his wife was found drowned in their swimming pool. Most people who knew him figured that he had killed her to avoid a costly (to him) divorce). L.A.P.D. thought so too but could develop enough evidence t indict him.

To my mind, William Shatner is a poster boy for evil guys succeed where the good ones come in last. And no, his stage persona was what you got when you knew him off stage.

Over the years I have known several people associated with the "Star Wars" TV show, Shatner was the only one I found to such a nasty SOB .... I really never heard a nice word on his behalf from any of his former cast members.

ben.gators
02-02-14, 11:12 PM
I am not very surprised to hear that he is actually a very narcissistic person. The characters he plays are normally very narcissistic characters, and he is very good at it. Denny Crane in Boston Legal is a very good example. But he is still a likable cocky person at least from my point of view, if that makes any sense.

It is interesting to know that in his actual life he owns horse. I knew that he is very comfortable around horses. For example, in his Roast at comedy central he showed up on a horse. In one of the episodes of Boston Legal, he was riding a horse and he was very good at it.

I know that orconn, you are not a nerd or a geek. But there are two shows; Star Trek, and Star Wars. Bill was in Star Trek, not in Star Wars. :p There was another guy in Star Trek, named George Takei. He and Bill have had some problems. IMO, Bill is at least a likable SOB, but George is not even a likable one! Do you have met him?

orconn
02-03-14, 12:04 AM
Actually Ben, I also happen to know George Takei and contrary to your opinion of him I found him to be a very likable guy. He lived in Larchmont Village one of the neighborhoods that make up what is generically known as the Hancock Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. George Takei was a good supporter of the Boy Scout Troop which my son belonged to and of which I was an Assistant Scout Master. George was always on hand both to support the Troop's annual pancake breakfast and to help out should we need him. He also was always ready to support any of the fund raising drives that the Troop undertook.

Very often an actors stage persona will be very different than the persons real life personality. I have known a several actresses that I have loved to watch on the screen but really didn't like on a personal basis. Jane Fonda is one and Emma Thompson is another. I knew Emma over about a year period and while I very much admired her acting I found her very insecure and hard to get along with on a social level. Another actress that I knew for a few years back in the mid nineties was Uma Thurmond, the roles I have seen her play on the screen were really not very attractive and the way she was made up made her look very hard and unattractive. However in person she was very pleasant to be with and a great beauty to boot!

My mistake, I do know the difference between "Star Trek" and "Star Wars.'" The wife of a very good friend of mine was in the "Star Trek" pilot (she had played Elvis Presley's love interest in the film "Girls, Girls, Girls"). A very good friend of our family's nephew, Howard Kazanjian, was the producer on the first "Star Wars." movie.
But you are right I really have not been into films for the last twenty years.

ben.gators
02-03-14, 12:36 AM
^
This is quite interesting! I do agree that the stage personality can be very different from the actual real life personality. This is true for almost any profession.I know professors and scientists who seem to be extremely dry and boring, but go to a bar or their home and they will change to be a comedian, a heavy drinker, a vulgar person, a charming person, you name it!

Aztec ETC ECS
02-03-14, 10:41 AM
My favorite Shatner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io&list=PLAE56948937DA150D

Aron9000
02-04-14, 03:45 AM
My favorite Shatner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io&list=PLAE56948937DA150D

Man he sure Shatted that up!!!

thebigjimsho
02-04-14, 10:24 AM
Speaking of Star Trek characters, William Frakes of TNG was simply one of the nicest people I had ever met.

As for insecure actresses, Famke Janssen was a shock to me. I drove for her and Julie Sweeney during the Boston Film Festival in the late 90s. Julie was as I had imagined, fairly quiet and shy but really sweet. But Famke was very shy to me. I was a fairly young guy at the time and I felt like I intimidated her. You watch her in GoldenEye and you couldn't imagine her ever being like that...

Hoosier Daddy
02-04-14, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately I came to know Shatner back in the 1990's. I say unfortunately because he was one of the most nasty, narcissistic, worthless human beings I have ever met.
You should hear what he says about you.

Aron9000
02-05-14, 04:02 AM
Speaking of Star Trek characters, William Frakes of TNG was simply one of the nicest people I had ever met.

As for insecure actresses, Famke Janssen was a shock to me. I drove for her and Julie Sweeney during the Boston Film Festival in the late 90s. Julie was as I had imagined, fairly quiet and shy but really sweet. But Famke was very shy to me. I was a fairly young guy at the time and I felt like I intimidated her. You watch her in GoldenEye and you couldn't imagine her ever being like that...

I've always gotten that impression about "Jonathan" Frakes, just being a really personable and genuine person. Now Famke Janssen, that suprises me, you'd think she'd be the life of the party. Must say if she's that reserved and quiet in person, it shows she's amazingly talented to pull off such a genuine, yet over the top but at the same time, IMO believable performance as Xiena Onnattop. I must say she is my favorite "Bond Girl", even though Bond never slept with her.

Jesda
02-05-14, 07:26 AM
LOL, I've also heard that Shatner was a dick.

thebigjimsho
02-06-14, 05:28 PM
I've always gotten that impression about "Jonathan" Frakes, just being a really personable and genuine person. Now Famke Janssen, that suprises me, you'd think she'd be the life of the party. Must say if she's that reserved and quiet in person, it shows she's amazingly talented to pull off such a genuine, yet over the top but at the same time, IMO believable performance as Xiena Onnattop. I must say she is my favorite "Bond Girl", even though Bond never slept with her.

Wow. Totally spaced on that one. Guess I had Shatner on the mind...

----------

And yeah, she was hot in GoldenEye...

orconn
02-06-14, 09:19 PM
Haven't driven too many motion pictures actresses, but have had the opportunity to see many au natural, as in when they have been training on their horses or just hanging out at the barn. In my experience some are really beautiful without all the make up, while others really cleanup well. That was always a joke between us when we would run into one another at some function when they were made up and dressed for an occasion. "Gee, you really clean up well!" She knew we knew her in a natural state and liked her as a person as she really was, so we always got a chuckle out of it.

thebigjimsho
02-07-14, 01:11 PM
Vanessa Williams. Most beautiful woman I've ever seen. And she was dressed down and looked to have minimal makeup.

orconn
02-07-14, 01:54 PM
^^^ I can definitely believe that, Uma Thurmond is another lady who needs no cosmetic embellishment. Cindy Crawford as well.

HR-cts
02-07-14, 02:23 PM
...and then we hear that Leonard Nimoy has some horrible lung disease.

http://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/leonard-nimoy-reveals-he-has-copd--warns-against-smoking-223318587.html

orconn
02-07-14, 03:08 PM
^^^ Holy moly, Nimoy is 82 years old, has had a long and successful career as an actor .... and also smoked and just as relevant to his COPD he lived most of his life in L.A. I know how debilitating COPD can be but apparently Nimoy's affliction was rather late, for which he can thank his lucky stars!