: Anybody hear of this or have this problem?

GAGS-V2
03-23-11, 12:37 AM
New coupe owner here. So far, I love the car but I have an issue that I thought was the steering (tires, fluid, etc). When you pull into a parking spot (either a hard right or left) turn, it feels like the tires in front are skidding. My first post here was about that and some responded that I had cold tires. Well, I live in So/Cal and it's not THAT cold out. It bugged me enough that I had a Cadillac tech. drive and look at it today. His thoughts are that it's coming from the rear end! Anybody else have this?

Caddy Wagon
03-23-11, 02:30 AM
...His thoughts are that it's coming from the rear end!...

I suppose if the rear end were locked so that both rear wheels were being driven at the same time, you would get a "push" affect and the front end would feel like it's skidding.

Mystical_Ice
03-23-11, 02:44 AM
Noticed the same issue in my sedan yesterday, pulling into a tight spot. I'm pretty sure it's just the tires...

if you find anything out different, please post here!

GMX322V S/C
03-23-11, 04:01 AM
The suspension geometry is set up such that the front tires describe different arcs that diverge as you steer further and further away from center. This, along with the weight of the car, the width of the tires, and the tires' composition, cause the crabbing you're hearing/feeling at full lock. Many drivers also experience it in reverse, especially on cold and/or damp mornings.

This is distinctly different than "the rear-end noise" issue. In this case, the limited-slip makes noise (which you can sometimes feel in the cabin), typically during the first turn on a cold morning. There are many reports (including my own) where changing the differential fluid eliminates the problem.

GAGS-V2
03-23-11, 11:53 AM
The suspension geometry is set up such that the front tires describe different arcs that diverge as you steer further and further away from center. This, along with the weight of the car, the width of the tires, and the tires' composition, cause the crabbing you're hearing/feeling at full lock. Many drivers also experience it in reverse, especially on cold and/or damp mornings.

This is distinctly different than "the rear-end noise" issue. In this case, the limited-slip makes noise (which you can sometimes feel in the cabin), typically during the first turn on a cold morning. There are many reports (including my own) where changing the differential fluid eliminates the problem.

Thanks, I have felt it in reverse too. However, I have had many cars (some with different aspect tires front and rear too) and have NEVER had this rough of an experience. Even the service manager said something was not right. He said he was going to get Cadillac involved and that there were three things that may happen. 1) It's in a "break in" period and may go away. 2) Cadillac may change the differential fluid. or 3) Cadillac may change the entire rear end. Believe me, it's that noticable. The car rocks enough that passengers have asked me whats that rocking motion. I just tell them it's the 556 wanting loose!

cdog533
03-23-11, 12:50 PM
Dude, this is 100% normal.

You turn tight and it goes BANG BANG BANG or pop-pop-pop as the tires fight against the pavement. It kind of hops. This is normal.

I think these run-flat tires might be part of the issue as well. Super stiff sidewalls.

DO NOT LET THE DEALERSHIP TOUCH IT! Any tech/service mgr. that thinks it's the differential OR doesn't have enough sense to come onto forums and research it is probably a bad one... But you might want them to change the diff fluid, as the factory usually is low. And it would be free!

Just avoid turning real sharp at 1 mph. There is no fix aside from selling the car and buying a Camry.

cdog533
03-23-11, 01:04 PM
See thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/187058-front-wheels-binding-full-lock.html

TheSpungos
03-23-11, 01:19 PM
Many drivers also experience it in reverse, especially on cold and/or damp mornings.

Yep - happens to me every morning when I back out of the driveway right now. When I back out of my parking space at work, no crabbing. Parking space at work is in a heated garage, so the tires are warm. The PS2's really aren't designed for cold weather. As long as it's just at slow speeds, you're fine - it's normal.

GAGS-V2
03-23-11, 07:27 PM
See thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/187058-front-wheels-binding-full-lock.html

Thanks for the link. I think mine may be worse than what is being said here. Most are talking about when it's cold or smooth surfaces. Mine does it ALL the TIME when moving slow and turning (not even full turns). Also I live in So/Cal and while it's been cool here (mid 60's) it's not been that cold. I never had this with the 05 V and it's run flat tires.

GM-4-LIFE
03-23-11, 07:46 PM

You turn tight and it goes BANG BANG BANG or pop-pop-pop as the tires fight against the pavement. It kind of hops. This is normal.

I think these run-flat tires might be part of the issue as well. Super stiff sidewalls.

DO NOT LET THE DEALERSHIP TOUCH IT! Any tech/service mgr. that thinks it's the differential OR doesn't have enough sense to come onto forums and research it is probably a bad one... But you might want them to change the diff fluid, as the factory usually is low. And it would be free!

Just avoid turning real sharp at 1 mph. There is no fix aside from selling the car and buying a Camry.

Our cars don't have run-flats? We have Michelin Pilot PS2 tires that are a NON-RUN FLAT tire.

This condition is normal. It was very present on my 2007 STS-V and was deemed to be 100% normal.

tedcmiller
03-23-11, 07:50 PM
The 2009 CTS-V and later (how much later I don't know) don't have run-flat tires (I wish they did). The 2004-2007 CTS-V series did have run-flats, but the 2009-2010 CTS-V and later don't. Unless GM has changed tire sizes for the 2011 CTS-V and switched to run-flats, the 2011 CTS-V doesn't either. Michelin Pilot Sport 2, except for the rear tire (285/35ZR19), don't come in a Zero Pressure (ZP), as Michelin calls it, (or run-flat) version. The front tire (255/40ZR19 PS2) is not available in a ZP version. Unless I am wrong, none of the 2009 and later CTS-Vs have run-flats. They all use the non-run-flat version of the Michelin PS2.

Ziggerman
03-24-11, 08:28 AM
I have not had the "crabbing" since I switched to Hankooks.

Tuna
03-24-11, 09:32 AM
My V1 did the same thing and I've noticed it with my V2 on cold morning backing out of the drive.
Some tires slip a little more than others and do not cause the "pop". The Michelin tires are pretty grippy and do not want to let go of the road.

cdog533
03-24-11, 10:52 AM
LOL... Sorry guys. My bad. My brain is mixed up some days.

Our cars cars DO NOT have run flats... but I first had this same condition in a Jeep SRT8 and and I blamed the run-flats and their stiff sidewalls. That's what I was thinking of. My V1's tires may have done it too...

At any rate, the hop is common and our car isn't the only one.

cdog533
03-24-11, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the link. I think mine may be worse than what is being said here. Most are talking about when it's cold or smooth surfaces. Mine does it ALL the TIME when moving slow and turning (not even full turns). Also I live in So/Cal and while it's been cool here (mid 60's) it's not been that cold. I never had this with the 05 V and it's run flat tires.

Hmmm.. That does sound like a different issue.

Maybe the factory left your diff mostly dry. Perhaps the dealer was right.

tedcmiller
03-24-11, 01:41 PM
I had two V1s (2004 and 2005) with two different kind of run-flats (Goodyear and Bridgestone) and never experienced any of the pecularities described, so I don't think the problem has anything to do with run-flats. This is especially true since the V2s normally don't have run-flats. I have a 2009 CTS-V and have experienced the problem described during cold weather but only when backing up. If the original starter of this thread is still having problems in Southern CA this time of year, I would suspect some problem other than tires.

GAGS-V2
03-24-11, 04:34 PM

DUDE: This is NOT 100% normal! I have NEVER had a car with this problem. My 05 V (with true run flats) NEVER had this problem. This car DOES NOT HAVE run flats!

My service manager is very cool indeed (so far), he is quite concerned about this problem and is working with Cadillac and me. So far, he has come up with a list of things to try. First, drive it a bit more and see if it "breaks in" and goes away or gets better (he doubts that). 2) change out the front tires. 3) change out the rear tires. 4) replace the entire rear diff. I'll keep you all posted.