: DTS maintenance advice wanted!

Maunus
03-22-11, 08:37 AM
Good morning everyone! I have a 2008 DTS with 28,000 miles. i want it to last forever! on advice i am changing radiator fluid today and trans fluid and filter in one week. i keep up on oil changes with synthetic oil.

any advice to take great care of it?

1. when might I change the engine air filter?
2. power steering fluid?
3. brake fluid?
anything else?
thanks!

Bob

Superjim
03-22-11, 09:40 AM
Good morning everyone! I have a 2008 DTS with 28,000 miles. i want it to last forever! on advice i am changing radiator fluid today and trans fluid and filter in one week. i keep up on oil changes with synthetic oil.

any advice to take great care of it?

1. when might I change the engine air filter?
2. power steering fluid?
3. brake fluid?
anything else?
thanks!

Bob

I believe the manual says to change the coolant every 5 years or 100,000 miles.. and transmission fluid every 5 years or 150,000 miles...whichever comes first.
I had my coolant and transmission fluid changed a few weeks ago... but I have 95,000 miles on my 2006.

You can open the airbox under the hood and "LOOK" at the air filter.
Change it whenever it starts getting dirty.
The manual says to change it every 50,000 miles... but I change mine more often than that, probably every 25, 000 miles or so.

Texas Jim

Maunus
03-22-11, 10:06 AM
thank you texas jim!
that gives me a place to start. i figure if i do them early, so much the better. i would rather spend $100 on radiator fluid to have a $40,000 car last forever!!

I got an oil analysis and that looked good. it is fun to learn about all this stuff.
how is your 2006 DTS doing?

best,

bob

Superjim
03-22-11, 12:22 PM
thank you texas jim!
that gives me a place to start. i figure if i do them early, so much the better. i would rather spend $100 on radiator fluid to have a $40,000 car last forever!!

I got an oil analysis and that looked good. it is fun to learn about all this stuff.
how is your 2006 DTS doing?

best,

bob

Hey Bob,
Welcome to the site..
My '06 is doing great.
We are planning a couple of long road trips for this summer.
Nothing like a nice long road trip in your Cadillac. :cool2:

If you don't have owners manuals for your '07, I have the manuals for the '06 in PDF format that I can email to you if you want them. '06 and '07 are almost identical.

Jim

Maunus
03-23-11, 07:18 AM
thank you Jim! i changed the coolant, using proper Dex cool yesterday at 28,000 miles and 3 years. will do trans. fluid next week. for the price of $85 for the radiator fluid, i think it is worth it to save 40,000 dollar car! will check air filter too.

good luck with your 2006 DTS!

snow here again tonight!

bob

Lev Blekher
03-23-11, 09:39 PM
Is it really necessary to change brake fluid, power steering, and transmission fluid in these cars?
On my other car I have never done steering, and only did brake fluid because I had a wheel cylinder go bad and did trans fluid and filter because I opened it up to fix a leak (at 150k miles). Also, I might do radiator fluid on the Cadillac, but if the name-brand stuff is rated for 100k miles, then shouldn’t the OEM coolant be as well?

I'm thinking of using the arm and hammer cabin air filter http://www.framadvantage.com/products/cabin_air_filters.html. (The Stratus does not even have this filter lol). This would be the first time I would use an aftermarket part ever.

Lev Blekher
03-23-11, 10:09 PM
I just looked in the manual. It says severe use requires trans fluid to be changed every 50k miles or 5 years, and at 150k for normal use. My driving is a mix, since I drive my new car like it's stolen on the boulevard, but treat it gently most of the time. I'll keep that in mind when deciding this.

Superjim
03-23-11, 10:36 PM
I just looked in the manual. It says severe use requires trans fluid to be changed every 50k miles or 5 years, and at 150k for normal use. My driving is a mix, since I drive my new car like it's stolen on the boulevard, but treat it gently most of the time. I'll keep that in mind when deciding this.

I drive mine pretty hard...compared to most Cadillac drivers.
Long road trips at high speed. Sometimes hours at a time at 100 mph.
Frequent Wide Open Throttle getting onto the freeway.

My car has 95,000 miles on it, and it only costs me $200 to have the coolant and transmission fluid changed the last time I had it in for service.

I figured at that price... why not go ahead and get er done. :)

Jim

z06bigbird
03-24-11, 01:20 AM
Don't forget to lub muffler bearing.

Lev Blekher
03-25-11, 04:46 AM
Wow Jim nice. I do WOT all the time, but stay below 80.

Superjim
03-25-11, 08:08 AM
Wow Jim nice. I do WOT all the time, but stay below 80.

I do a lot of driving in the Western half of the US... and it isn't unusual to be able to run around 100 mph all day... "IF" you want to.
Sometimes, if I'm are just going from point "A" to point "B" I just want to "GET THERE"... :) :)

Some of the speed limits out west are as high as 80 MPH. :)
It just starts RUNNING GOOD when you pass 80..

Texas Jim

383 LT1 SS
03-25-11, 08:19 AM

Texas Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim-

I couldn't agree more. These cars handle speed very well especially the 1SE's. On high speed I can feel the car plant real nice to the road. Just a great road car.

383 LT1 SS

Superjim
03-25-11, 08:38 AM

Texas Jim

Jim-

I couldn't agree more. These cars handle speed very well especially the 1SE's. On high speed I can feel the car plant real nice to the road.
Just a great road car.

383 LT1 SS[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.
I love the way it drives on the highway.

Texas Jim