: ///M5 or cts-v...

mainly
03-21-11, 08:13 PM
hey guys. anyone whos driven, or owned both care to share which one you prefer ? im gonna buy one or the other in a couple months, but still on the fence. they both seem so awesome!!!
:stirpot:

DUCPILOT
03-21-11, 08:32 PM
I owned an 06 M5 and just recently purchased a 09 cts-v. My M was an SMG and my V is a 6spd. The 6spd on the M was an after thought, only produced after all the purist complained and really didn't workout so well. Hard to put into words, you really need to drive one to see what I mean. If your looking to mod I think the V is a no brainer. The only two ways to get any real added power from the BMW is to supercharge, and that is extremely expensive to do. The v10 in the M is an awesome motor, but I can't see myself ever getting back into an e60 M5. Even after only have driven the V for just a short while. If I was gonna by a used m5 I would definitely go for a e39. Allthough the new M5 looks like it's gonna be sick. Sorry for the completely disorganized reply, got severe ADD:)

DUCPILOT
03-21-11, 08:34 PM
Oh, the other way is nitrous.:bouncy:

GM-4-LIFE
03-21-11, 08:50 PM
CTS-V all the way! You will be glad you did! The M5 is just way overpriced and way over-rated!

DUCPILOT
03-21-11, 08:51 PM
BTW, as far as I'm concerned an SMG in a m5 lasts exactly 40k miles.

GM-4-LIFE
03-21-11, 08:55 PM
BTW, as far as I'm concerned an SMG in a m5 lasts exactly 40k miles.

The SMG my brother had in his 2006 M6 lasted no more than 15K miles and he had nothing but electrical and drivetrain issues with his car. He got rid of it after about a year and a half and never looked back.

DUCPILOT
03-21-11, 09:19 PM
Yeah, when you shift a m5 at redline it is an extremely violent act to witness. Makes you wonder how they could last more than a week.

TheSpungos
03-22-11, 12:35 AM
The M5 is just way overpriced and way over-rated!

No offense, but have you ever driven an E60 M5? You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who's ever owned/driven one to say it's "over-rated" - until the V2 CTS-V's came out there wasn't another sport sedan made that could touch the M5.

OP - you're in the same boat I was. I've driven both, and have a colleague who's owned his '06 M5 since he ordered it. Both are spectacular cars, you really can't go wrong. And it would take an expert driver on a track to really extract the slight performance edge the V has. What it came down for me was that for the same money I could buy a nearly new (<700 miles) 2010 CTS-V, I was looking at a 2008 M5 (if it was a CPO car) or maybe a 2009. But it was going to have at least 20k miles on it. From a performance standpoint the SMG transmission is light-years ahead of the auto in the CTS-V, however the Caddy's auto is much better at being an auto - especially commuting in rush hour. If you want a stick, Caddy wins hand's down - whoever said the stick in the M5 was an afterthought is absolutely right - that car was designed for the SMG and it shows when you drive it.

I still love the M5. It has maybe one of the best engines ever put in a road car. But they are expensive to own and can be very expensive to repair. Clutches on the SMG are good for at most 50k miles, most last less than that, and you're looking at close to $5k for replacement. So no matter which one you buy you can add $5k to the cost because that's mininimum what you'll put into it if you keep it more than a couple years. The E60 body style is starting to look a little long in the tooth too.

For me, it came down to the biggest value for the money which the V won by a mile. I got a 2 year newer car, with vastly better navagation/electronics, and way more warranty for the same price as buying a 3 year old M5.

It's a great decision to have - they're both spectacular cars.

thatcoder
03-22-11, 12:50 AM
definitely the M5

RafCon
03-22-11, 02:25 AM
I owned a 2000 e39 M5 (alpine white with black/red interior) and loved it. The power under the hood with the computer engaged was extremely governed though but if you turned things off, the car was definitely a beast. It did have its share of gremlins though (dash lights went out, replaced entire dash; sometimes it wouldn't start, etc...). Also, at one point, had to replace some gaskets on the drivetrain and when all was said and done, spent thousands on what seemed like simple repairs. I also had to pay a higher hourly labor cost at the dealership for their M techs.

All that said, the car was beautiful, but not very reliable. I have only had my V for about a month but I love this thing and just took it out today for a ride around the block... Haven't felt like driving a car around the block in years for no reason than to get behind the wheel... No regrets here.

mainly
03-22-11, 05:45 AM
No offense, but have you ever driven an E60 M5? You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who's ever owned/driven one to say it's "over-rated" - until the V2 CTS-V's came out there wasn't another sport sedan made that could touch the M5.

OP - you're in the same boat I was. I've driven both, and have a colleague who's owned his '06 M5 since he ordered it. Both are spectacular cars, you really can't go wrong. And it would take an expert driver on a track to really extract the slight performance edge the V has. What it came down for me was that for the same money I could buy a nearly new (<700 miles) 2010 CTS-V, I was looking at a 2008 M5 (if it was a CPO car) or maybe a 2009. But it was going to have at least 20k miles on it. From a performance standpoint the SMG transmission is light-years ahead of the auto in the CTS-V, however the Caddy's auto is much better at being an auto - especially commuting in rush hour. If you want a stick, Caddy wins hand's down - whoever said the stick in the M5 was an afterthought is absolutely right - that car was designed for the SMG and it shows when you drive it.

I still love the M5. It has maybe one of the best engines ever put in a road car. But they are expensive to own and can be very expensive to repair. Clutches on the SMG are good for at most 50k miles, most last less than that, and you're looking at close to $5k for replacement. So no matter which one you buy you can add $5k to the cost because that's mininimum what you'll put into it if you keep it more than a couple years. The E60 body style is starting to look a little long in the tooth too.

For me, it came down to the biggest value for the money which the V won by a mile. I got a 2 year newer car, with vastly better navagation/electronics, and way more warranty for the same price as buying a 3 year old M5.

It's a great decision to have - they're both spectacular cars.

thanks for the great response man, and all the responses

im looking at an 09 M5 if i go that way.

for the past couple of months ive had my heart set on the V.

then i noticed the M5.

i listened to some clips of the M5 V10 with the Eisenmann race exhaust. the sound was was something awe inspiring. it sounded like an F1 race car zooming by. never heard anything like it before. and the car im driving now has a pretty sweet exhaust...

the V looks so badass. the stance. especially the coupe.

but the more i look at the M5, it also looks badass in its own way. refined. and the interior of the M5 is in a completely different league from the V IMO (but i guess thats what the extra 30 G's get you). i kinda wish they went with a little less glitter inside the V

decisions ....

MReiland
03-22-11, 07:21 AM
What are you driving now, and what are you looking to spend?

Maybe the balance can be tipped in the V's favor. :lildevil:

cbloveday
03-22-11, 09:32 AM
I owned an 07 m6 heavily modded.
While I too loved the Eisenmann Race exhaust, I favor the V because it is much more economical to mod.

My mods to the m6 were:

2007 M6 Black Sapphire Metallic/Carbon Fibre TrimEisenmann Race Oval Tips
3M Clear Bra
RPI Scoops (Black)
K40 Calibre Radar w Bluetooth Remote & Defuser EX
Sprint Booster
Vorsteiner Carbon Fibre Front Spoiler
Dinan H Flow Air Mass Meter/Intake D763-0044
Dinan Cold Air Intakes D760-0021
Dinan 13% Pulley D560-0001
Dinan Stage 3 Software D903-51M3
Dinan H Flow Throttle Bodies D760-3800A
Dinan 3.91 LSD D773-0601A
Dinan CF Strut Brace D180-0007A
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension D190-6318

I'm telling you this cause, I went there and back.

For me, the V is more comfortable to drive.

Both vehicles are awesome cars though.

Good luck with your decision.

tinman
03-22-11, 10:26 AM
My son works on the M's and has extensive knowledge of BMW's. He strongly recommended that I stay away from the Bimmers. Basically, I want to keep my car a looong time, and after 50 k the Bimmers just start to discorporate. The electronic modules all talk to one another, and if one goes bad the whole chain shuts down.

I have belonged to the BMW CCA for a couple of years and read their fine publication "Roundel" (I wish Caddy had this type of magazine). The tech letters strongly complain of the "big ticket" items going out on newer BMW's, like trans, electronic modules, turbo coolers, etc. I love the BMW's, but I wouldn't get one because their quality/longevity has just gone downhill.

Tedboss1
03-22-11, 11:13 AM
Here are the Topgear tests of M5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwR1WH0rR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZVkdzXzFQ
Noticed the breakdowns?

tinman
03-22-11, 11:48 AM
Not many vehicles exhibit the kind of breakdowns I described within their first 10,000 miles of life. If you read my post, I was referring to 50k and up mileage vehicles.

mainly
03-23-11, 01:34 AM
Here are the Topgear tests of M5:

Noticed the breakdowns?

actually thats the review that made me want the M5!!! i guess we have different priorities...

in the first half of the video where he's whining and nitpicking about this and that, it seems to be just a technique so that it contrasts that much more with the amazing points he raves about on the car. the handling the speed, power, the sound...

i think it makes for good television...

the overall impression i got was that he thought it was an amazing car, he even compared it to the Ferrarri F430, which he said was about the best car he ever drove, so i think that was meant as a compliment...

mainly
03-23-11, 01:45 AM
What are you driving now, and what are you looking to spend?

Maybe the balance can be tipped in the V's favor. :lildevil:

right now im driving an 09 challenger R/T

heres a pic..

http://img25.imagevenue.com/loc158/th_31812_1_122_158lo.jpg (http://img25.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=31812_1_122_158lo.jpg)

corsa full exhaust
diabolsport predator tuner
K&N CAI
full Eibach suspension( front and rear anti roll bars, pro dampers, springs)
22" HRE 995R forged wheels (9.5" fr/10.5" rear)

(~ 410-420 hp)

not sure how much i could spend, as much as the bank will lend me??? lol...

i got about 17,5 into my challenger so hopefully ill get a good chunk of that back???

spend maybe 65-70 G's...

MReiland
03-23-11, 07:42 AM
right now im driving an 09 challenger R/T
spend maybe 65-70 G's...

So between the two you are looking at probably a 2009 M5 with fairly low miles OR....

2011 CTS-V with 0 miles
-Auto
-6 Speed Auto (Manual Less)
-Polished Wheels
-Ultraview
-Wood
-Suede
-Recaro Seats

w/Gas Guzzler and Destination MSRP $71,015.00

(I PM'd you the best price that you can expect which should tip the scales nicely)

Teutonaddict
03-23-11, 08:46 AM
So between the two you are looking at probably a 2009 M5 with fairly low miles OR....

2011 CTS-V with 0 miles

(I PM'd you the best price that you can expect which should tip the scales nicely)

I'll weigh in here as I was a 17-year new BMW owner before MReilland helped turn me into a Cadillac man! Added GM incentives pushed me over the fence when I bought in October 09.
I went from the E39 M5 and then E53 X53.8is into my current stable. I never considered buying the E60 M5 (although I got my deposit back after my dealer holding it for nearly four years in anticipation) for its lack of a manual tranny (and then the afterthought, reduced performance version). They are two different beasts, but you can get just as intoxicated by a V2 with aftermarket exhaust (I have B&B's). I ran SuperSprints and B&B's on my M5 and 540i/6. The easily modded factor is a big one for me. It's far easier and cheaper to tweak a V2 than an E60 M5. Longevity is another factor, as others have said. My Tremec 6-speeder feels bulletproof, and the clutch is stout, whereas I had the weak clutch warranteed on the M5 (E39, n/a 400HP). Every prior BMW I'd owned was a manual trans, and it's not like I was abusing the powertrain.

Either way you cannot lose, but there are a number of 'converts' on this board that aren't looking back!!
Good luck.

shchow
03-23-11, 01:33 PM
I had the E60 M5 for 3 years...
Although I have no hard data to support this, but it seems the early models had much more problems. Avoid MY 2006. I had 2008 and it was flawless. I had no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Comparing the M5 to the Caddy...
I really enjoyed the V10 and the SMG in the M5. It just "felt" like a more responsive car.
You get spoiled with the >8000 redline. You're able to hold a lower gear going into turns.
However, the suspension on the CTS-V is much better. The magnet suspension is quite remarkable.
And obviously, the objective numbers tell you that the power and handling in the Caddy is better.
As expected, the fit and finish is better in the Bimmer, but I prefer the interior of the Caddy, just my opinion.
Weighing the stong points of each car, the Caddy comes out on top, IMHO.

Each car will put a smile on your face and cause you to make excuses to go driving.
And in the end, that is all that matters.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the F10 M5...

tinman
03-23-11, 02:22 PM
I had the E60 M5 for 3 years...
Although I have no hard data to support this, but it seems the early models had much more problems. Avoid MY 2006. I had 2008 and it was flawless. I had no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Comparing the M5 to the Caddy...
I really enjoyed the V10 and the SMG in the M5. It just "felt" like a more responsive car.
You get spoiled with the >8000 redline. You're able to hold a lower gear going into turns.
However, the suspension on the CTS-V is much better. The magnet suspension is quite remarkable.
And obviously, the objective numbers tell you that the power and handling in the Caddy is better.
As expected, the fit and finish is better in the Bimmer, but I prefer the interior of the Caddy, just my opinion.
Weighing the stong points of each car, the Caddy comes out on top, IMHO.

Each car will put a smile on your face and cause you to make excuses to go driving.
And in the end, that is all that matters.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the F10 M5...

Smiles are good.

rednumbers
03-23-11, 08:48 PM
if you are looking for pure HP then the V is the best route to go. I just picked up my first american car this weekend and its a V sedan. I am pretty happy with the car but the germans just do it better. The fit and finish is second to none on german cars.

I have never had small issues with my german cars like the bluetooth, strange noises, use of operation, no rain sensors, ipod intergartion, little noises of rocks kicking up under the fender, parking sensors in the back but not in the front, the trunk does not always open even though all the doors are unlocked .

DOn't get me wrong the V is great car but its missing those fine touches that make a great car. A car with a lot HP doesn't make a car.

Plus, you can probably pick a used M5 pretty cheap these days. I saw one with 2008 with 41K miles for 40K. It had HRE wheels and some other mods also.

I leased my V and glad I did. I would not want this car after three years. I will most likely go back to a German car after.

Thats my 2 cents. In the end I think the Cadillac did a great job on the V. its probably the only American car I would buy

mainly
03-23-11, 09:20 PM
if you are looking for pure HP then the V is the best route to go. I just picked up my first american car this weekend and its a V sedan. I am pretty happy with the car but the germans just do it better. The fit and finish is second to none on german cars.

I have never had small issues with my german cars like the bluetooth, strange noises, use of operation, no rain sensors, ipod intergartion, little noises of rocks kicking up under the fender, parking sensors in the back but not in the front, the trunk does not always open even though all the doors are unlocked .

DOn't get me wrong the V is great car but its missing those fine touches that make a great car. A car with a lot HP doesn't make a car.

Plus, you can probably pick a used M5 pretty cheap these days. I saw one with 2008 with 41K miles for 40K. It had HRE wheels and some other mods also.

I leased my V and glad I did. I would not want this car after three years. I will most likely go back to a German car after.

Thats my 2 cents. In the end I think the Cadillac did a great job on the V. its probably the only American car I would buy

thanks man...

mainly
03-23-11, 09:21 PM

2011 CTS-V with 0 miles
-Auto
-Polished Wheels
-Ultraview
-Wood
-Suede
-Recaro Seats

hey thanks man, i tried pming you back but the forum wouldnt let me??? :ill::ill::ill:

but there may be a problem, im in canada, dont think i mentioned that.

isnt there something where you cant sell a new cadilllac to a canadian, (from US)?

I know up here the ctsv is like 80 G's!!! nuts!! thats why i was thinking a preowned 2010 or 11 if i went with the V

chad

whats a conquest vehicle?

Garymonnecka
03-23-11, 09:45 PM

Not really arguing with you but my A4 has a shitload of interior rattles I can't solve, stupid things under-engineered (glove box and arm rest hinges break all the time) and any time you pop the hood you can expect surprises that make a 30 minute job a 2 hour one. Not to mention the iPod integration blows so had compared to the V. I just expect more from a 50k$ car. The tranny feels weak, the seats suck and rip, etc.

Again, I'm not trying to argue, it's just that the grass is always greener on the other side, or maybe the V just isn't for you and you've gotten perfect german cars lol. There's one thing I know you know about German cars though, and that is if a car's going to be a pain in the ass, it never stops lol.

rednumbers
03-24-11, 12:43 AM
Audi's are a different story. They have gotten much better in the last couple years but Audi has always been following BMW and mb. My Audi had many problems and it is caused by most of the parts being made by vw. Beside problems there are features that European cars just have or do a better job of.

I love my new v but just wished it had those extra bells and whistles. It's been raining for last couple of weeks in California and I wish I had rain sensors. This is a feature you don't even think about until you need it and don't have it

cts-vv
03-24-11, 03:09 AM
If you want to crash any sedean from 0-165 mph ... go for cts-v ,,, even you will kill any M5 to that speed ..

Garymonnecka
03-24-11, 10:20 AM
Audi's are a different story. They have gotten much better in the last couple years but Audi has always been following BMW and mb. My Audi had many problems and it is caused by most of the parts being made by vw. Beside problems there are features that European cars just have or do a better job of.

I love my new v but just wished it had those extra bells and whistles. It's been raining for last couple of weeks in California and I wish I had rain sensors. This is a feature you don't even think about until you need it and don't have it

I believe the rain sensors were deleted because the manufacturer went out of business, like the heated washer fluid. Just if that makes you feel better lol.

My point was that any car has it's quirks and German cars aren't perfect.

MReiland
03-24-11, 11:33 AM
hey thanks man, i tried pming you back but the forum wouldnt let me??? :ill::ill::ill:

but there may be a problem, im in canada, dont think i mentioned that.

isnt there something where you cant sell a new cadilllac to a canadian, (from US)?

I know up here the ctsv is like 80 G's!!! nuts!! thats why i was thinking a preowned 2010 or 11 if i went with the V

chad

whats a conquest vehicle?

You should check with your dealer to see if they accept Preferred Pricing Codes or Employee Pricing codes? Conquest is the same as a competitve vehicle.

rednumbers
03-24-11, 09:55 PM
I am with you, nothing is perfect and I have had my share of problems with my german cars. I guess most of the stuff I am talking about isn't really about problems with a car but quality, features etc.

You can't go wrong with either car. I would study both cars and do a comparison on features. Both cars are fast. I did not do the research on the V before I bought. I got consumed by the speed with the test drive.

I believe the rain sensors were deleted because the manufacturer went out of business, like the heated washer fluid. Just if that makes you feel better lol.

My point was that any car has it's quirks and German cars aren't perfect.

mainly
03-24-11, 11:42 PM
I am with you, nothing is perfect and I have had my share of problems with my german cars. I guess most of the stuff I am talking about isn't really about problems with a car but quality, features etc.

You can't go wrong with either car. I would study both cars and do a comparison on features. Both cars are fast. I did not do the research on the V before I bought. I got consumed by the speed with the test drive.

i doubt if im gonna be able to test drive a ctsv and an M5 before i decide, im in canada, they dont really like letting you test drive new vehicles .... well unless youve basicly already made up youre mind that youre buying it, then they might let you.

Chubbilicious420
03-25-11, 12:06 AM
Depends on budget. I picked up a well optioned 11 550xi for my wife with the 4.4L tt. This motor is an underated animal. I have had an 87 T type and still have a modded 86 GN, and this car screams for mods. Go Dinan and a CPU upgrade gets you in the 600 HP club with AWD. An added bonus of an xi is that you have hydraulic steering, not the numb electric assist RWD cars are plauged with. The couple we travel with love cars. My buddies wife got a stealth grey 05 V after driving mine. He wrecked it and she upgraded to an 08 6 spd V10 M5. The car is a f***ing animal, but it sucks ass when it drizzles, leave it home if snow is expected. I would go twin turbo xi with dinan upgrade for an everday driver, and second it would be a toss up between a black diamond WAGON or M5, wagon would win for me!!!!
BTW my wife 8 spd twin snail V8 gets 23 to 26 mpg @ 75 to 80 mph. The 5 series is the ultimate highway criuser I have ever driven, beats out the couple new mercedes E550 4MATICS I have drove. If you want a raw sports car go V or M5, but a Dinan tuned or stock 550xi would surprise you 0 to 60.

translux
04-03-11, 01:19 AM
My 2 cents
I have had three M5's -an E39, two E60's all purchased new.

The fit and finish-
Quality of of the interior and comfort of the comfort seats in the BMW is far superior.

Best sedan chassis ever?
Behind the wheel the V is just amazing. Its one of the most planted cars I have ever driven and I have driven a lot of cars.
On roads that would upset the M5 -especially broken pavement or an off camber turn with some bumps - the V is completely unfazed.
The ride comfort and handling ability just does not exists in any other car.

Performance
The low end torque-more at idle than the M5 at its peak-is addictive and expensive. Unfortunately tires don't grow on trees.
But its a small price to pay for so much fun.
I have a manual that IMHO is the perfect match for this car.

Modes-
For the price of 10hp ECU tune for the M5 you can easily get another 100hp out of the V.
Heck for the cost of M5 headers you get a fully built motor!
I'm all for paying for quality but it really makes you feel like a tool for getting taken by the euro tuners all these years.

After nearly a year including a Chicago winter I'm still in love.
In fact I can't wait to get the summer rubber on and head to the road course to spank some poor Porsche drivers.
Now if I could just connect with Jesse life would be great ;)

GARBAJ
04-03-11, 08:36 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP, yet my comparison will be between the current V and the M5 to be unveiled at the Frankfurt auto show later this year. I seriously doubt that we'll be talking about the trans issues with the new one... It should be a crazy car... I'd bet that the sunroof won't leak...

translux
04-03-11, 12:23 PM
This one...
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2012-bmw-m5.jpg

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2012-bmw-m5-2.jpg

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2012-bmw-m5-5.jpg

IGotId
04-03-11, 01:03 PM
that looks sweet!

RLJ676
04-03-11, 03:24 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP, yet my comparison will be between the current V and the M5 to be unveiled at the Frankfurt auto show later this year. I seriously doubt that we'll be talking about the trans issues with the new one... It should be a crazy car... I'd bet that the sunroof won't leak...

Except for the price difference between the two you could pay to buy a second regular CTS to turn into an aquarium full of water anyways..... While the performance comparison makes total sense between the 2, as the M grows in cost as it's rumored to next gen it really isn't apples to apples. You can do a lot of modding to the V to make into anything you want for less than that new M will cost.

As noted, the German cars are far from glitch free, and I wouldn't expect a first year model to be beyond a leak or something worse.;)

EuroTrash
04-03-11, 04:59 PM

2011 CTS-V with 0 miles
-Auto
-Polished Wheels
-Ultraview
-Wood
-Suede
-Recaro Seats

Any way you can pm me the same for a diamond edition wagon loaded with no sunroof?

GARBAJ
04-03-11, 09:24 PM
Except for the price difference between the two you could pay to buy a second regular CTS to turn into an aquarium full of water anyways..... While the performance comparison makes total sense between the 2, as the M grows in cost as it's rumored to next gen it really isn't apples to apples. You can do a lot of modding to the V to make into anything you want for less than that new M will cost.

As noted, the German cars are far from glitch free, and I wouldn't expect a first year model to be beyond a leak or something worse.;)

Hey, I love the V, or I would not be on the board; and yes, the price difference will be large. Regardless, I will wait to compare head to head, as I usually keep my cars a good long time. The one thing that is not up for debate at all is the transmission comparison... You are not going to take that bait are you? Don't make it too easy for me...

RLJ676
04-03-11, 10:04 PM
Hey, I love the V, or I would not be on the board; and yes, the price difference will be large. Regardless, I will wait to compare head to head, as I usually keep my cars a good long time. The one thing that is not up for debate at all is the transmission comparison... You are not going to take that bait are you? Don't make it too easy for me...

That one has an excellent 6sp manual and the other does not?

Southern Buckeye
04-03-11, 11:24 PM
I had a similiar dilemma prior to buying my V. However, my other consideration was the E63 AMG. I finally decided on the Cadi after driving the MB in the morning, having lunch, then driving the V in the afternoon. In the end, my decision was entirely subjective. It wasn't about horsepower, torque, 0-60, or goodness forbid, opinions gathered on a forum! Though the guys here will give good advice. Again, in the end, it's about how you "feel" in the car. Assuming you have the coin for either, that is what should drive your decision. As long as you trust your instincts- your decision will be the right one for you. I will tell you this- it feels damn good to be back in a American car. That might not be a important consideration for you nor does it need be. Establish the priorities that make your purchase special to you then stick to your guns and pull the trigger.

Having said that, I just watched Aerosmith and Carry Underwood perform on the country music awards- feeling especially patriotic- buy the V and don't look back! Seriously, the car will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it- isn't that what a purchase like this is all about? Good luck man.

translux
04-04-11, 02:36 AM
I will certainly take a look at the new M5, but I have some concerns.
1. It's going to be big and heavy, it's built on the 7 series chassis, my guess is it will feel this way. No matter what you do with the chassis it's tough to over come physics.
2. It no longer has a special engine. This has always been the hallmark of M cars. I think this speaks volumes about how watered down and mis guided the M program has become. M suv- need I say more.
3. I don't like DTC-it reminds me of one of those CVT transmissions that was popular in the late eighties. Sure power is delivered smoothly and with nearly a hint of gear change but I personally find it boring soulless. The SMG was perfect, matted to the frenetic V10 it really felt like a race car when pushed hard.
4. It will have a ton of cool technology that will be a giant pain in the ass. I called my 06 M5 the double pusher as just about any functions required two presses of the button for anything to happen.
5. It's going to be expensive certainly well north of $100k my guess is with options buck thirty. It's also going to expensive and risky to mod. I hydro locked e39 in a flash flood and a new engine replacement was $35k -with exchange! I'm sure the F10 motor will be a $40-50k replacement. This certainly gives me pause when thinking about mods.

All that being said I will certainly take one for a spin.
Who knows by the end of 2012 when the M5 finally gets here maybe we will have a blue devil CTS-V.
Now that would be something ;)

MReiland
04-04-11, 08:55 AM
Any way you can pm me the same for a diamond edition wagon loaded with no sunroof?
Yep!

tinman
04-04-11, 04:05 PM
Autoweek article on the new M5.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110404/CARNEWS/110409967