: Name the Emission Tube for 1990 4.5

Cristofo
03-21-11, 06:14 PM
Hi Guys, I'm having a hard time locating this molded emission hose to buy. I also have no idea what the name of it is...Its located under the intake housing in the rear engine compartment near the firewall (close in proximity to the master cylinder). I think it goes to the rear valve cover? The mechanic gave me the hose and said I should replace it because the flared end is ripped.

In the following album, the picture is labeled "emission hose"

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/cristofo/

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

the recluse
03-21-11, 08:43 PM
Good luck, as they don't make it anymore to my knowledge.

Cristofo
03-21-11, 08:50 PM
Crap, I didnt think so...

Cristofo
03-21-11, 08:55 PM
The tear was minor, so I used crazy glue...good as new!

Cristofo
04-26-11, 01:43 PM
Ok so my crazy glue didnt last and the hose barely holds to the valve cover...Can i replace this with a breather filter that I can stick in the valve cover hole? Since I cant buy a new hose and I dont want to look through junk yards will this be ok? I will cap the hole in the airbox where the hose connected before.

drewsdeville
04-26-11, 04:53 PM
Ok so my crazy glue didnt last and the hose barely holds to the valve cover...Can i replace this with a breather filter that I can stick in the valve cover hole? Since I cant buy a new hose and I dont want to look through junk yards will this be ok? I will cap the hole in the airbox where the hose connected before.

Yes, that will work fine.

the recluse
04-26-11, 04:56 PM
The hose is part of the PCV system and is the "draft" portion of said system; a breather filter won't let it do what it was intended to. As for mine, I just wrapped in black electrical tape after I cleaned the crap out and off of it with lacquer thinner. Once done you can hardly tell it was even wrapped.

Just my .02

Sevillian273
04-26-11, 06:19 PM
The hose is part of the PCV system and is the "draft" portion of said system; a breather filter won't let it do what it was intended to.

How do you figure? That hose is only connected to the air box so the PCV can draw clean air from behind the main air filter just like the engine does. This is simpler and cheaper for GM to implement rather that manufacturing a separate part. Connecting a breather filter to that rocker cover accomplishes the same thing.

the recluse
04-26-11, 10:26 PM
How do you figure? That hose is only connected to the air box so the PCV can draw clean air from behind the main air filter just like the engine does. This is simpler and cheaper for GM to implement rather that manufacturing a separate part. Connecting a breather filter to that rocker cover accomplishes the same thing.

A yes, my thinking was flawed as i was thinking of the system in reverse. To the OP, forget what I said previously; my constituents were correct.

Sorry for the misinformation :hide:

Cristofo
04-29-11, 01:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Just for fun I decided to see if I could by a new rubber grommet and repair my hose...I cut the end off the hose that connects to the valve cover, then used the new grommet and glued it together. So far so good...If I'm still having issues I'm going to use the breather filter instead. Thanks for you help!