: Cam shaft code 99 deville ongoing project with hg repair

mennonitecadillac
03-21-11, 12:20 PM
I have a code for camshaft position sensor. I am trying to clear all codes to pass ny state safety inspection..I had engine apart and installed Studs and new head gaskets. I got project to 95% complete mark and took it to a local shop to get codes cleared and inspected..they replaced sensor and code came back right away...they think perhaps my timing/cam shaft sprocket is on wrong? and we will need to drop drive train to pull of cam cover and see what is happening. Is there a way to test wiring, connection ect. to sensor before I go to all the work of taking out drive train again?? thanks

Submariner409
03-21-11, 02:11 PM
Not good - but I'd start by tracing out the wiring harness and looking for an open or ground in the wiring.

You can get to the cam sprockets without dropping the entire drivetrain, but it is NO picnic, by a long shot.

EDIT: Yep, ^^^^, What is the CMP code ? You can get it yourself from the car's built-in code scanner/reader. Right in the driveway.

stoveguyy
03-21-11, 04:18 PM
car is running? what is code? am not up on cam codes. is there a code for getting an unexpected value AND a code for getting no input? i think if cam sensor is bad, computer than relies on crank position sensors to run. did shop give you any details on code, besides being a cam code?

mennonitecadillac
03-21-11, 05:05 PM
im planning on dropping drive train, just because it will be easiest way to reset timing and access sprockets ect. yes the car runs well (no problems that I can tell), it may perhaps use a little more fuel and have less power but thats a guess at best. No they didn't give me the code, the wire was tested and has single so this seems to be the next best step. They were not able to locate (magnet?) pin through sensor hole, while turning engine by hand. I re did timing 3 times,...this just doesn't seem believable because it looks like 4 sprockets and 4 shafts...should have been a,b,c,d ..well I will know soon enough..

bigtone
03-21-11, 08:23 PM
Everything that I have heard is that even if you are just one tooth off, the engine will run rough. In other words, it will be obvious. You can most likely confirm the timing is off with a compression check comparing one bank to another. If it runs smooth, I would suspect the wiring to the sensor. Also, you can check the timing and correct it if necessary with the engine in the car, unless you've dropped a few powertrains and are real good at it.

mennonitecadillac
03-21-11, 10:37 PM
engine runs very well and i have driven many miles (if it wasn't a legal issue i would probably let it go). The sketch is helpful, but a pic would be nice of all four sprockets...my question is...could the camshaft sensor sprocket (Right Exhaust) have been switched with one of the others? Is there a special pin/peg/magnet on that one to transmit to sensor? This is confusing me, perhaps it would pay to make double sure of wiring, and perhaps try yet another sensor (cheaper and easier) then pulling the Northstar!

Speedygman
03-21-11, 11:50 PM
engine runs very well and i have driven many miles (if it wasn't a legal issue i would probably let it go). The sketch is helpful, but a pic would be nice of all four sprockets...my question is...could the camshaft sensor sprocket (right exhaust) have been switched with one of the others? Is there a special pin/peg/magnet on that one to transmit to sensor? This is confusing me, perhaps it would pay to make double sure of wiring, and perhaps try yet another sensor (cheaper and easier) then pulling the north star!

YES it does matter which exhaust cam sprocket is located. The one for the right head needs the position pin in it. See photos and read warnings on second page.

Speedygman
03-21-11, 11:54 PM
Page two read the labels important because they are important. SORRY THE PICTURES ARE SUCH POOR QUALITY, ANYWAY YOU MUST USE THE CORRECT EXGUAST CAM SPROCKET ON THE RIGHT HEAD FOR THE POSITION SENSOR TO WORK. GET YOU A FACTORY MAINTAINCE MANUAL IT IS VERY USEFUL.

jimsbox
03-22-11, 03:11 AM
Here is a picture of cam drive pulleys with cyl 1 at TDC on my 2000 VIN Y engine

Hope this helps,

Jim

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/jimsbox/SDC10107.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/jimsbox/SDC10108.jpg

mennonitecadillac
03-22-11, 10:44 PM
thanks Jim...however there were some changes from my engine (99) to yours, and all four of my timing/cam sprockets look identical, like your LI, LE and RI. It seems as if there is no position pin. Yet this is really really hard for me to believe because of the time and perfection I took in timing re-assembly. I was hoping for a picture of a 99 or older right exhaust (RE). The shop told me they couldn't see/feel it through sensor hole...

Really its just 6 bolts that holds the power cradle in...not to bad eh? My friend my has a lift and I can give some attention to detail while i'm in there...will try and post a resolution to this when I find it out...p.s. these cars are stinkin fun to drive!

mennonitecadillac
03-22-11, 10:46 PM
speedygman thanks, I already have the fac shop manual...wouldn't recommend ever touching the hood release without them;)

jimsbox
03-23-11, 02:33 AM
Actually, I lied, this is the 2002 replacement engine (65000 miles) that I studded and replaced my 2000 engine (280000 miles & bad gasket) with. Purrs like a kitten and silent lightning for power.

jimsbox
03-23-11, 02:36 AM
Can you go by the locator pin on the cam shaft, mine are all at 12:00