: OnStar Dialing

Lev Blekher
03-21-11, 03:00 AM
I recently subscribed to the 6-month safe and sound free trial after entering in the blue button sweepstakes.

The other day for poops and giggles I pressed the phone button on the mirror even though I knew nothing would happen since I didn't buy minutes. I decided to randomly say the command "home" and prior to it attempting to dial, it confirmed my selection by saying that it was calling home, and the voice it sounded back was that of the previous owner stored on there. Just a tad creepy. Any way to erase all of these previous settings?

_ike_
03-21-11, 08:19 PM
I need to find out how to program the phone. I use it all the time but get tired of calling out each number. I'll look in my manual later. If I find out how to erase the presets I'll post it up.

HartfordGuy
03-22-11, 11:35 AM
Sorry for the delay guys. I had to find my Onstar book.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5260/5550427768_8ae639c487_o.jpg

To Delete any stored names from the system, just press the phone button on the rearview mirror, wait for the "Onstar ready" reply.

Say "Directory" to find out what names have been stored. Write them down.

Then say "Delete" and the system will ask you which names you want to delete.

Once you've cleared out any old commands, you can then make your own new ones.

I use my hands free and have my frequently called numbers stored.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5551845792_893e9330a0_o.jpg

Lev Blekher
03-22-11, 07:23 PM
Thanks so much! Did this come with owner's literature, because my packet is missing it. Downside of used cars. Can't wait to see how many numbers are stored from the first owner.

HartfordGuy
03-22-11, 08:44 PM
There was a separate packet in the glovebox with a 46 page Onstar book and CD.

Here is another page with some neat features included with the basic "Safe and Sound" package.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5551244113_f8146b4ee2_o.jpg

_ike_
03-22-11, 10:22 PM
I just found my card too. It was in an OnStar folder in the owners manual package, the folder has the books for OnStar as well as a CD Rom. Thanks for posting the pics. I was going to type out the commands for him.

I really miss the old car phones with the speaker phone and handset. I wish there was an optional handset for it so when I have people in the car I could use the handset. The OnStar phone works pretty well and in areas where my regular cell phone doesn't get a good signal, too bad they will no longer allow you to set up a monthly billed account for it.

HartfordGuy
03-23-11, 06:52 AM
I keep forgetting that we can get weather and traffic updates using it.

As for billing, I have the Onstar service billed monthly and buy the minutes in blocks of 100 minutes as needed. Too bad they no longer let you link your Verizon wireless account to the Onstar calling. Well, they do if you signed up years ago but they are not accepting new accounts that way anymore.

_ike_
03-23-11, 07:15 PM
Thanks. I'll check into the monthly billing for minutes.

Onstar equipped Mirrors will be sold at Best Buy for $299 starting soon so you can have it in any car. FYI

HartfordGuy
03-23-11, 08:01 PM
Thanks. I'll check into the monthly billing for minutes.

Onstar equipped Mirrors will be sold at Best Buy for $299 starting soon so you can have it in any car. FYI

Yeah, I saw the ads. I can't see them being a big seller. Newer cars have other features built into their mirrors. Auto dimming, compasses, airbag on/off indicators, etc.

Plus you 'll still need to take your car to a dealer to have it installed correctly and integrated to work with your cars power lock system, speaker system, air bag deployment etc.

Plus virtually every GM car made in the last 5-10 years is already Onstar ready. Lincoln tried to market a dealer installed system like Onstar called "Rescue" about 10 years ago. It bombed.

Lev Blekher
03-23-11, 08:43 PM
Those are indeed cool features for the Safe and Sound plan that I can try out during my trial. I have to be honest though with the same info available on cell phones, it's a hard case to pay for OnStar. I like what they do, but I can't see myself buying it. Plus my insurance pays for towing, stranded without gas, and lockout (which is really hard to do in modern cars) and for a lower rate.

_ike_
03-23-11, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I saw the ads. I can't see them being a big seller. Newer cars have other features built into their mirrors. Auto dimming, compasses, airbag on/off indicators, etc.

Plus you 'll still need to take your car to a dealer to have it installed correctly and integrated to work with your cars power lock system, speaker system, air bag deployment etc.

Plus virtually every GM car made in the last 5-10 years is already Onstar ready. Lincoln tried to market a dealer installed system like Onstar called "Rescue" about 10 years ago. It bombed.

What I saw said Best Buy would install it. I was wondering if it had a centrifugal type sensor in it to detect a crash, there were aftermarket airbags for a while that had this. Instead of electronics.

I will buy them for our other cars unless I learn something new that turns me off of it.

I like that OnStar has the phone and the other services. I know most high end cars have a service now but I don't think it has everything that OnStar does.

_ike_
03-23-11, 10:14 PM
Those are indeed cool features for the Safe and Sound plan that I can try out during my trial. I have to be honest though with the same info available on cell phones, it's a hard case to pay for OnStar. I like what they do, but I can't see myself buying it. Plus my insurance pays for towing, stranded without gas, and lockout (which is really hard to do in modern cars) and for a lower rate.

The reason I want it is that it will tell them where the car is. I was in a head on collision in '08 and called 911. I gave them the address of the home I was in front of and they had no idea where I was.

Superjim
03-23-11, 10:40 PM
I plan on always having OnStar in my vehicle.
I use it a good bit when traveling and it comes in real handy.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Lev Blekher
03-31-11, 01:17 AM
OnStar has great customer support. My connection took longer than usual so they diagnosed that the old number was not switched over to a local number for me when my trial began. Without me asking they extended the 6 month trial to 9 months, and they gave me some free minutes to use. I enjoyed the novelty of calling people from the car, and they told me I can do an unlimited plan for $10 a month. Now this is actually not bad at all, however with paying for my cell service I see no reason to buy this. Even with handsfree, I still found myself just as distracted as when on speakerphone. I can see someone who really travels frequently and makes many calls needing this. Although with bluetooth in the newer models I can't see buying this either.

Interesting fun fact: My dad worked at Ericsson when they developed bluetooth. Not that I'm biased though; I dislike their phones anyway.