: Best way to black out front grill?

qictrk
03-21-11, 01:19 AM
I want to black out the front grill, except for logo, and not sure which way to go about it. Do you take out grill or just tape and spray?
Also, do you need a primer on the plastic? Cecil.............:sadeyes:

musclesbmf
03-21-11, 11:08 AM
I taped mine and did not remove it. I would recommend some adhesive promoter prior to spraying the paint.

Mark

elphil
03-21-11, 01:07 PM
Had mine done through my dealer before I picked the Wagon up. Don't ask how much, I'm embarrassed to say. The body shop chemically treated the grill to take the chrome off before painting. I had it painted the body color, Thunder Grey.
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/elphil_photo/IMG_0077.jpg?t=1300726884

King335i
03-21-11, 02:19 PM
My body work guy removed the front bumper and removed the grilles to paint them both in 'Rallye Black'.

readyact
03-21-11, 02:27 PM
A year ago I had mine painted by a professional shop. I told my dealer what I wanted to do and they gave me the name of a secondary paint shop they use for their certified cars. The paint shop did an extraordinary job and was just as happy with the results as I am. When they called to tell me my car was ready to be picked up the shop guy was like your car is bad ass now. My V is black and now the grill matches perfectly with the rest of the car.

Caddy Wagon
03-21-11, 03:09 PM
Has anybody seen a red V with the centers of the grills painted body color?

DoingOK
03-21-11, 03:41 PM
Sorry if it is a dumb question (still waiting to pick up my V).....but does the front bumper have to be removed to be able to remove both upper and lower grill pieces? I def' want my grills painted. Thanks in advance.
:thumbsup:

e6t
03-21-11, 03:47 PM
Has anybody seen a red V with the centers of the grills painted body color?

Yeeaaaaaah... No.

fasterthanrays
03-22-11, 04:06 PM
How does the Cadillac logo mount to the grill.

1-2-N-V
03-22-11, 04:40 PM
Had mine done by paint shop. Charged me a boat load i think it was like $400 and did the grill, the air scoops and the rear fascia that was gray. they sand blasted the chrome but it is still chippin like a bitch. i gotta touch it up all the time

DoingOK
03-22-11, 04:49 PM
Curious if the grills can handle the temps used during the powdercoating process.

qictrk
03-22-11, 04:52 PM
I think this one is done. Thanks Tony. Cecil..........

connore
03-22-11, 08:13 PM
doesnt seem like anyone has answered the OP. I would also like to know the best products to use for painting the grill. might need a new thread

The Tony Show
03-22-11, 08:26 PM
No, this one's just fine now that I've cleaned out the garbage posts. Carry on.

JimmyH
03-22-11, 08:26 PM
I have had good results with Krylon Fusion paint. It is meant for plastic, with no primer or prep. 10000 miles of Chicagoland weather and traffic, and not even a chip. Of course, it's a Chevy. Not sure I would do a Cadillac.

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/jan11/bowtie1.jpg

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/jan11/bowtie2.jpg

JimmyH
03-22-11, 08:27 PM
sorry, Tony. you beat me. reopened.

qictrk
03-23-11, 12:55 PM
I've decided to remove the grills and paint them myself. I will post pictures when its done, if the rains ever let up. Thanks to all for the input. Cecil..........

shade
03-23-11, 03:30 PM
How does the grill come out?

Domsz06
03-23-11, 04:02 PM
How does the Cadillac logo mount to the grill.

It's part of the grill. You can take it off, but then the back just looks like what you took off minus the color

Curious if the grills can handle the temps used during the powdercoating process.

Someone, I think Ross L was going to try that but he has not reported back in.

doesnt seem like anyone has answered the OP. I would also like to know the best products to use for painting the grill. might need a new thread

I had a body shop paint it with a custom color. He prepped it like your supposed to but I'm still getting chips. He paints for speed TV so I know he knows what he is doing. The rest of the chrome he painted is flawless.

Domsz06
03-23-11, 04:03 PM

remove the front bumper then it's like 6 screws and a dozen metal clips

qictrk
03-23-11, 04:35 PM

I have all the service manuals and its going to take some time, but time I have a lot of. Unless............
well you know.

shade
03-23-11, 04:46 PM
So is the concensus that normal black paint you can buy from the store always chips?

Domsz06
03-23-11, 07:00 PM
I have all the service manuals and its going to take some time, but time I have a lot of. Unless............
well you know.

um... it's really not hard guys. there are two bolts on top in the engine bay, some plastic clips, then you go under the car, remove the front wheels, get to the other bolt behind the wheel well, pull the plastic rivits/pins out of the bottom and it comes out. then the grills are held on with 6 screws and some metal clips.

Not hard when you start looking at it. It takes about 30 minutes after you know how to do it.

Domsz06
03-23-11, 07:01 PM
So is the concensus that normal black paint you can buy from the store always chips?

It's not the paint that chips. it's how you prep your surface. Chrome is hard to paint since it doesn't allow the paint to stick very well. You have to prep the surface very well and then the paint will stay.

thebigjimsho
03-23-11, 07:18 PM
I have had good results with Krylon Fusion paint. It is meant for plastic, with no primer or prep. 10000 miles of Chicagoland weather and traffic, and not even a chip. Of course, it's a Chevy. Not sure I would do a Cadillac.

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/jan11/bowtie1.jpg

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/jan11/bowtie2.jpg
I've been wanting to try the Krylon Fusion paint for months but after talking to Jimmeh, I bought some. If anyone else hasn't tried it yet, I should hopefully have it done in a week or two...

JimmyH
03-24-11, 02:36 PM
It's not the paint that chips. it's how you prep your surface. Chrome is hard to paint since it doesn't allow the paint to stick very well. You have to prep the surface very well and then the paint will stay.

:yeah:

you can paint metal, plastic, and over paint. you are not supposed to paint over chrome. you need to strip it first. all the restoration shows on TV say that.

shade
03-24-11, 03:19 PM
How do you strip the chrome off of these grills other than sand blasting?

JimmyH
03-24-11, 04:21 PM
are you guys talking about the chrome that borders the "mesh"? There is really no other good way. you could use a sanding block. chrome plastic is not tough like chromed metal. I would not do it on the car though.

Domsz06
03-25-11, 08:13 AM
How do you strip the chrome off of these grills other than sand blasting?

chemical etching.

shade
03-25-11, 01:17 PM
Chemical etching
Is that something that can be done at home or a professional shop has to do it?

GMX322V S/C
03-26-11, 06:40 PM
I asked a local high-end body shop owner about this and he said the process is probably similar to what you'd have to do to prep it to be chromed in the first place, read: expensive to do correctly. He thinks the typical technique or etchant used for metal prep would have to be modified to avoid violating the integrity of the plastic.

Has anyone heard differently?

Ketzer
03-27-11, 10:15 AM
OK, I'll dip in here.
You have to remove the front nose. It is not difficult, most fasteners are readily apparent. You do not have to be a jet mechanic. Probably the toughest part is dealing with the brake duct tubes and the headlight washer nozzle hoses on re-install.

The grills clip in from the back, it will be obvious when you get the nose off. They are two-piece, the grill and a surround trim piece. The emblem can be removed but sits on a based shaped just like it that you cannot remove.

My method was to buy a small DIY sandblaster from Northern tool and buy the correct blasting media for plastic. Following the tips of the media provider for air pressure, I blasted all the chrome parts to rough up the chrome (be VEEERY gentle, you are only trying to rough up the surface, NOT eat all evidence of chrome away). I used a rattle can adhesion promoter and automotive base/clear paint.

It WILL NOT withstand your wife driving behind a gravel truck for 10 miles. Sorry. But it IS just as durable as any other painted surface on your car.

Jeff-

FFBOS
03-27-11, 10:23 AM
For those of you who did it at a body shop....what was the average cost?

CTSV4now
03-27-11, 11:00 AM
Isn't there a black chrome grill available as an accessory thru gm?

thebigjimsho
03-27-11, 12:00 PM
Isn't there a black chrome grill available as an accessory thru gm?
Yes, or will be soon...

thebigjimsho
03-27-11, 12:01 PM
OK, I'll dip in here.
You have to remove the front nose. It is not difficult, most fasteners are readily apparent. You do not have to be a jet mechanic. Probably the toughest part is dealing with the brake duct tubes and the headlight washer nozzle hoses on re-install.

The grills clip in from the back, it will be obvious when you get the nose off. They are two-piece, the grill and a surround trim piece. The emblem can be removed but sits on a based shaped just like it that you cannot remove.

My method was to buy a small DIY sandblaster from Northern tool and buy the correct blasting media for plastic. Following the tips of the media provider for air pressure, I blasted all the chrome parts to rough up the chrome (be VEEERY gentle, you are only trying to rough up the surface, NOT eat all evidence of chrome away). I used a rattle can adhesion promoter and automotive base/clear paint.

It WILL NOT withstand your wife driving behind a gravel truck for 10 miles. Sorry. But it IS just as durable as any other painted surface on your car.

Jeff-What about with paint that bonds to plastic?

JimmyH
03-27-11, 04:50 PM
my bowtie was crusted with salt three times this winter. and that didn't have any effect on it. i never followed any gravel trucks though http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/biggrin.gif

Ketzer
03-27-11, 08:47 PM
What about with paint that bonds to plastic?

Sure Jim, if they have the color you want. Black is easy, I did mine to match the wheels though (charcoal metallic) so there was no ready made rattle can for me. You also wouldn't have to use base/clear, a simple single stage enamel would work just as well I'd guess.
The adhesion promoter I used is a product specifically for helping regular paint bond to plastic.

Temptone1
01-09-13, 07:27 AM
Best way ? Aftermarket blocked out grill probably less labor and cheaper in the long run..I bought a CTS-V cheaper than the cost of painting it and it was less than $100. Now I have two extra OEM CTS grills to sell..One black, one silver/gray.Or use as extras if needed.

thebigjimsho
01-09-13, 10:09 AM
Plasti-dip.

BigDog001
01-10-13, 07:49 AM
I want to black out the front grill, except for logo, and not sure which way to go about it. Do you take out grill or just tape and spray?
Also, do you need a primer on the plastic? Cecil.............:sadeyes:

Check out Race Mesh Grilles -- expensive but I love mine.

http://racemeshgrilles.com/

Xaqtly
01-10-13, 01:00 PM
Couple cans of plastidip and a couple rolls of painters tape for 20 bucks and you get this:

http://www.xaqtly.com/ctsv/redip1.jpg

And that won't hurt your paint, and it's removable. And it's more flexible than paint so it won't crack.

Mike02z
01-10-13, 08:18 PM
I used Plasti-Dip.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2011%20CTS-V/9082012/Extra.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2011%20CTS-V/9082012/CTS-V-8-mod090812.jpg

Dasteufelhund
06-13-14, 11:17 PM
If you spray adhesion promoter/plastidip without removing the nose, will the spray cause any problems if they get into the radiator?

Trapspeed
06-14-14, 12:00 AM
If you spray adhesion promoter/plastidip without removing the nose, will the spray cause any problems if they get into the radiator?

Jam some old newspaper back there. No sweat.

Dasteufelhund
06-14-14, 07:25 PM
I guess the next question is how the hell do I get it to open enough space so I can stuff some in...

Many thanks,

Xaqtly
06-15-14, 12:26 PM
I dropped folded newspaper back there, there was enough room to drop it in when it was folded. Attached painters tape to each piece so I could pull it out again afterward. It worked well enough to protect everything in there.

fkingfocused
06-21-14, 01:24 AM
Yup get a roll of masking paper. it worked great. I kept it mostly one continuous piece or occasionally would tape together as well.

cgperry
06-22-14, 10:57 PM
I tried Xaqtly's advice but I couldn't get the newspaper trick to work, so I used a couple of kitchen trash bags taped together to get the width I wanted with better flexibility/maneuverability. First remove the front trim cowl by unscrewing the thumb fasteners and then lifting it out. You have to pull the rubber water seals away from the sides a little but they're just pressure-fit. Then I removed two bolts from each side - one in the upper corner of the front fascia and one holding the black steel bracket to the car frame. This lets you pull the whole front fascia out a couple of inches, which helps get things past the radiators. See picture number one below with arrows. Be gentle - if you're too aggressive you can risk cracking the paint on the fascia.

Then I started working the trash bags in. It helped to have a couple of tools (in the second picture). One is a telescoping magnet for getting dropped screws. In this case it was just a nice long, thin poker. The other is one of those spring-loaded grabbers for getting loose parts. I could reach through the grill and grab the plastic bags with the prongs and then work them down where I needed them to be.

The third picture is when I was all done. I used the peel-and-stick masking from Lowe's that has the painter's tape already integrated to the plastic drop cloth. Trust me - the overspray with plasti-dip is more than a lot of the web videos lead you to believe. This stuff cut my cleanup a lot. Also have a very sharp razor/Exacto knife around for trimming the painter's tape around the crest/logo if you're not blacking out everything. The plasti-dip peels easily from separations between surfaces (like body to emblems), but it's a little trickier around things like the crest/logo so it helps to be able to encourage the separation by scoring with the razor. Clean the razor often with rubbing alcohol as you do the masking since the painter's tape gums it up and makes it harder to work with the blade.

Other minor tips - clean the grill thoroughly before starting and make sure it is DRY. I used rubbing alcohol to clean and it worked well. I waited about 15 minutes between coats on the grill and 30 minutes final drying time. I had tried longer time between coats on the emblems (30 min), but that made the end more difficult as the longer the dip has to harden the harder it is to peel off the excess and get a nice clean break. Make sure when you're spraying the grills that you get up UNDER the top edge of the lower grill. I was weak on that part the first time and it made it nearly impossible to peel off the excess. Had to go back and spray that area a lot more heavily.

Last piece of advice is to be gentle pulling the plastic bags out when done. The radiators have a lot of sharp edges to snag on and you want to work the bags past them gently. Good luck! Results are worth it!

cgperry
06-22-14, 11:13 PM
Few more pics if it helps. First coat should be very light - just enough to get some surface grip for the next coat.

Once all the masking is removed (4-5 coats total, then 30 min final dry), you should have about an inch border of Plasti-Dip on the painted surface around the grill.

Just grab an edge, roll it a little to get a grippable piece, and peel slowly away, pulling as perpendicular as possible to the line you're trying to separate. It should form a little "peel" like the picture that you can continue all the way around the border. The little bit of leftover like you see in the photo on the lower right corner will just rub off easily with a microfiber towel.

gaduser
06-25-14, 07:13 PM
Lots of good advise above.

I removed both grills, cleaned them with hot soapy water, dried them, lightly sand blasted them, primed, and then sprayed on three coats of hardened acrylic enamel. I had the paint mixed to match the wheels of my Black Diamond Coupe. That was over a year ago and the finish still looks great. I did mask the Cadillac Emblem, but painted the wreath.

I used that paint because it supposedly has good chip resistance.

Good luck.

gad