: High ownership costs. Unreliability. Bad fuel mileage. Pick your poison.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-11, 07:41 PM
I was thinking about this when I was out driving to get lunch today, of the three biggest negative aspects to owning a car, what's the one you'll put up with to have a car you've always wanted?

For me, it's gotta be a car that gets bad fuel mileage. I'd rather be at the gas station frequently than at the repair shop frequently, and I'd rather pay big gas bills than make big car payments or insurance payments. Most of the cars I really like are "pigs", but the lot of them are fairly reliable and easy to own. And atleast you can budget away the money for fuel, because it's something you'll always need to buy and you can track the costs very easily. I've owned cars that had ridiculously high ownership costs and were fairly unreliable, and I hated to keep going to the dealer to spend atleast $200 on repairs anytime I went, and many repairs were in the $500-$1200 range. I couldn't budget for repairs, because you never knew what was gonna break next and what it would cost.

That's me, how about you? What's your $.02?

Jesda
03-20-11, 07:43 PM
I'll tolerate almost anything but blandness.

ThumperPup
03-20-11, 07:46 PM
got to have some style to it
its got to be big its got to have a smooth ride got to have power and not talking 150 hp lol
got to be able to put my 20s on it in the summer time
got to be able to say hey i spent 13k on this car in reparis lol ok maybe not that lol

but its just got to be nice with options

drewsdeville
03-20-11, 08:17 PM
Isn't this sort of an oxymoron? Unreliability and high fuel consumption contribute to high ownership costs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-11, 08:22 PM
I figured you'd say that.

To me a high ownership cost means a car that's expensive to buy into and expensive to insure. However, you can have a car that's expensive to buy and expensive to insure, yet still good on gas and reliable. A great example is a C5 or C6 Corvette. They'll get 25-29 mpg on the highway, upper teens around town, are pretty reliable but will eat you out of the house in terms of car payments and insurance payments.

orconn
03-20-11, 09:08 PM
For me a car has to have really outstanding style and the design and mechanical integrity to live up to the image it conveys. This why I loved the Alfa Romeo 164, that turned our to be the best car I have ever owned. This also why I have owned or leased a succession of Jaguar XJ's for business cars; they were beautiful to look at and ride in, rode and performed well and I didn't keep them long enough to have to put up with the brands reliability foibles.

Mercedes, while having some attractive models over the years, just never met my criteria of comfort (damn hard seats) and a "fun to drive" dynamic. BMW were more fun to drive, but the makes reliability was not very good, certainly not good enough to make up for the spartan accoutrement's and noise of the engine trying to keep up with American driving conditions (recently they have been much better in both areas, but they also have been pretty damn ugly in the last three renditions!).

To be honest, the only Cadillacs that have appealed to me have been series I, IV, V Sevilles. The Eldos of yore were very good looking but just didn't measure up in the driving dynamic area (to put it mildly) and the build quality was disgusting for a car purporting to be a "luxury" commodity.

So I ques in choosing Jags for my daily transportation needs for most of my life, I have to say that reliability and gas mileage are not paramount for me when choosing a car!

ThumperPup
03-20-11, 09:09 PM
Oh ok in that case
id say a C6 Corevette if i lost 100 pound atleast
or a Mercedes S500 Probably go with a 99 last model of the big body or was it 2000 i think 99
maybe a Lexus Late model LS
at the rate i have been shuvling money into the Seville it comes out to around alot
i could get a really great car for 800 a month at what i have put into this in he last 22 months lol shoot id even spend 1000 a month it would be right on the edge but that would be a 1000 a month for car payment and insurance togehtere only way

Submariner409
03-20-11, 09:51 PM
orconn, How about a nice P400 Miura or 1964 3.0L GTO to tinker with ???? Most of the late American stuff has all the charisma of a grackle turd. A modernized rehash of an old rehash. "OMG !!!! It's a Hemi !!!!!" .........and, so..........

EChas3
03-20-11, 10:05 PM
People have lots of reasons for buying a particular car that have nothing to do with transportation. Human beings are not necessarily rational, but we do rationalize; explaining away any and all reasons why we shouldn't have what we want.

I think that's good. Life should have a fun side. Most of us work hard to provide for our needs and those of our families and often subordinate our personal desires. If I want a particular car and can have it without hurting anybody, why should anything else matter?

To me a car is not just transportation. It's the ultimate toy; fun to drive and to lavish spare time. It's a statement of success. The best ones are good friends, protecting us from hardships. Transportation? Yes, but a lot more, too. I have no complaints; if you do, it's time to trade!

Playdrv4me
03-20-11, 10:36 PM
I would definitely take poor fuel economy over surprise repair costs. That said, when they finally decided to take back the first problematic 'lade we had (that gold one), I noticed that the dealership's high line Mercedes/Acura/Jaguar/Porsche lot had a 2002 Merc CL500 with just 28K completely local miles. Despite that car having very likely the scariest repair costs and worse reliability of any Merc product in the last 15 years, it was also SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the replacement 'lade. Unfortunately, someone else got to it first. That's one of the few times I would have put up with a CL Class.

billc83
03-20-11, 11:06 PM
Fuel economy, easy. Gas prices won't keep your car in the shop for days on end.

orconn
03-21-11, 12:32 AM
orconn, How about a nice P400 Miura or 1964 3.0L GTO to tinker with ???? Most of the late American stuff has all the charisma of a grackle turd. A modernized rehash of an old rehash. "OMG !!!! It's a Hemi !!!!!" .........and, so..........

You got that right! To be honest that's why I kept, and enjoyed, Series I Jaguar E-type for over twenty years. Those great cars of the sixties required more than just an ability to pay to be driven well. When you finally mastered the driving of an early sixties Ferrari or mid-sixties Lambo or Maser you knew you had joined a special club. The all synchro manual trans of the later sixties made things easier but were still a far cry from the super slick 6 speeds of today. Today about all the talent that is required is decent reflexes and a quick wallet!

Bro-Ham
03-21-11, 02:15 PM
I've owned 5 old Rolls-Royces (1980-91), and a Bentley (1989), and those cars pretty much epitomize high ownership costs, unreliability, and bad fuel mileage. :) I should say, a couple of them were surprisingly reliable, but most of them certainly kept me on my toes. I averaged 11 mpg on all of them - whether driven city or highway - and there was no such thing as anywhere near reasonable ownership costs. With all that said, I enjoyed every minute of each of those cars! At this moment I don't think I'd have the patience to own another RR but, like everything in life, is subject to change. :)

orconn
03-21-11, 03:00 PM
For me the only Rolls that would make the cost of ownership worthwhile would be a Silver Cloud or one of the coachbuilt bodied ones of the early sixties. However, I would never want one as a daily driver; too much baggage goes along with driving a Rolls! Being that conspicuous all the time is just not my thing! I would always have to have some kind of a "stealth" vehicle for daily use.

Bro-Ham
03-21-11, 04:27 PM
For me the only Rolls that would make the cost of ownership worthwhile would be a Silver Cloud or one of the coachbuilt bodied ones of the early sixties. However, I would never want one as a daily driver; too much baggage goes along with driving a Rolls! Being that conspicuous all the time is just not my thing! I would always have to have some kind of a "stealth" vehicle for daily use.

Oh Orr, RR's are fun. :) If you don't try you'll never know. :)

orconn
03-21-11, 04:41 PM
Oh Orr, RR's are fun. :) If you don't try you'll never know. :)

I don't doubt for a minute that owning a Rolls would be fun! It's just that it would be rather lonely fun. I have known many families where a Rolls was a transportation option, and in each case, unprompted by me, the wife or kids admitted to not wanting to ride in the thing. They always felt they had to dress up and really didn't like everyone staring at them. Even in my own serious attempt at owning one (well not a Rolls but a Bentley S2) was a flop. I took my new bride out for a test drive on the roads around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, as I got out of the driver's seat to let her in to drive the car or herself, she said "I'm not going to drive this thing!" I knew from that point forward if I wanted a Rolls it would be a lonely experience! Fortunately she was very happy with the Jag XJ6 we got instead.

Bro-Ham
03-21-11, 05:03 PM
I don't doubt for a minute that owning a Rolls would be fun! It's just that it would be rather lonely fun. I have known many families where a Rolls was a transportation option, and in each case, unprompted by me, the wife or kids admitted to not wanting to ride in the thing. They always felt they had to dress up and really didn't like everyone staring at them. Even in my own serious attempt at owning one (well not a Rolls but a Bentley S2) was a flop. I took my new bride out for a test drive on the roads around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, as I got out of the driver's seat to let her in to drive the car or herself, she said "I'm not going to drive this thing!" I knew from that point forward if I wanted a Rolls it would be a lonely experience! Fortunately she was very happy with the Jag XJ6 we got instead.

I'd get a new wife! :)

orconn
03-21-11, 05:53 PM
I'd get a new wife! :)

Thought about it! But, gee, she was beautiful, intelligent, well educated and capable of earning an income equal to the yield of good sized bond portfolio! Wife stayed, Rolls aspirations went. We all have to make sacrifices in life!