: Just bought my first CTS V

Hockeyref
03-20-11, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone, I just purchased a (new to me) 2006 CTS-V. Flew across 4 provinces to pick it up, and drove it home. What a great car!! Been prowling on the forum for a month or so picking up pointers, so thanks for all the information out there. I purposely went with the '06 so as to avoid any differential issues. I am just wondering as to whether my clutches in the differential are ok - looking for your opinion (yes I did search through the forum first and found a few similar problems). I only have a "sometimes" grinding/rubbing noise that I only notice when turning at low speeds, seems to come from the rear. This does not happen when the car is cold though, which seems kind of strange. Any thoughts out there??

repenttokyo
03-20-11, 01:49 PM
congrats!

what level do you ref at?

kevm14
03-20-11, 02:06 PM
If it's the diff, a change of fluid may clear it up. If not, you could add a small amount of friction modifier (anti-chatter) which should fix it. Otherwise I'd argue something is broken.

Hockeyref
03-20-11, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the advice, pretty sure nothing is broken as I just drove it 2000 kilometers in 2 days. Think I will get the fluid changed and make sure they add friction modifier.

If it's the diff, a change of fluid may clear it up. If not, you could add a small amount of friction modifier (anti-chatter) which should fix it. Otherwise I'd argue something is broken.

Hockeyref
03-20-11, 02:13 PM
congrats!

what level do you ref at?

Thanks, really enjoying the car. Made it home last night and have 3 games to ref today. Level 3 ref so I do minor, high school, adult leagues, etc.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-20-11, 02:37 PM
Sounds like you and I ddi the same thing (going long distance to pick up the "perfect" car). I love mine and it sounds like you do to. Welcome!!!

rand49er
03-20-11, 02:51 PM
Welcome!

Go Wings!

tommy compton
03-20-11, 03:05 PM
Uh oh another Manitoban V, do you live in Winnipeg? Not many V's here, I had to get mine from California. Most importantly what color did you get?

Go wings???

Hockeyref
03-20-11, 07:06 PM
My car originally came from Arizona but had been in BC for the past 4 years. It's black - the color I wanted. I live south of Winnipeg.

Not a big wings fan, usually cheer for the Canadian teams.

Uh oh another Manitoban V, do you live in Winnipeg? Not many V's here, I had to get mine from California. Most importantly what color did you get?

Go wings???

tommy compton
03-20-11, 07:40 PM
I hit all the car shows in Winnipeg, usually quite a bit of interest in the V. If you're ever in the city on a Sunday I go to both the Regent and Grant car shows. Never seen another CTS-V at the shows, sometimes there are some XLR's one of them a V.
Or if ya ever need a hand wrenching on the V I've done quite abit on mine.

I've only seen 3 other V1's in Winnipeg a silver one (couldn't verify if it was a true V or not), I see a black one from time to time, must live somewhere around the south of st Vital area. Then another balck one that was flood damaged at an MPI auction, irrepairable, so I don't think we'll be seeing that on the road.

rand49er
03-20-11, 08:19 PM
I cheer for any original eight team as long as it isn't the Blackhawks and maybe the Bruins. Don't like the Rangers much either nor the Leafs. Habs are okay unless they're playing the Wings.

Hm-m ...

ahahnu
03-20-11, 11:20 PM
You should change out your fluid in the diff, use some additive and be sure to drive in a few tight figure eights to ensure it gets in the clutch packs.

I play in a few mens leagues and I'll keep my opinion to myself about the refs we deal with. One guy accused me of shooting the puck at him, he tossed me out of that game, but after that he would call anything in my favor. : )

cvettr/cts-v
03-21-11, 12:43 PM
congrats on the purchase you'll love it.

CI-V-IL
03-21-11, 01:34 PM
CANADA...

C...Eh...N...Eh...D...Eh...

Haha. Nice purchase! Welcome to the board.

JD03Cobra
03-21-11, 03:10 PM
Go wings???

Yep go Wings!

Congrats on the V...post up them pics!

Hockeyref
03-28-11, 07:12 AM
So I found out the previous owner had changed the diff fluid 7000 kms ago. Crawled underneath to check it, was actually overfilled a little bit so I could see the fluid was still clear and looked like new. Siphoned out a bit so I could add friction modifier, drove around a bit and then took a trip to the car show in the city the next day. The noise is gone!!

JazMiller
08-04-11, 11:38 PM
Hey Tommy - I'll have to stop in with my redline 05 (stock) at Regent sometime - it would be nice to see another V and meet a local owner. I'm in St. Boniface, and am new to the forums and V owners club. I might be interested in hearing about the work you've done on yours.

I looked around Winnipeg for quite a while before I found one for sale in June. Last summer I met a guy up in Bird's Hill Park area with a Titanium 05. He had a for-sale ad and a huge price tag on it last July, but this spring he decided not to sell it (can't blame him!). I've yet to see another redline in Winnipeg (but I have met a an 05 Redline 3.6 with a V-grill driver last weekend).

tommy compton
08-04-11, 11:58 PM
St vital here, congrats on the purchase. I've never seen a redline around either.
I still try to catch the car shows on Sundays, if ya ever see me definitely say hi.
I saw that silver V for sale since before I bought mine, think I even talked to him about it.