: Any specific hints to cleaning this engine?

neuronbob
03-20-11, 06:42 AM
I am planning my spring detail. After two winters with the car, I am finally going to tackle cleaning the engine. Other than obviously covering electrical components/plugs, are there any tips I need to follow for cleaning this specific engine? I'm sure some of you detail nuts have cleaned your engine already, but this is the first time I've ever contemplated it. Thanks!

Caddyscat
03-20-11, 08:03 PM
I just mix up some simple green, hit some dirty spots with various brushes, and rinse. Use various rags to dry. The connectors are made with rubber/silicone grommets for watertightness. I never cared for that shiny greasy crap dealers spray all over the engine and hoses on used cars.

neuronbob
03-20-11, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. That honestly sounds a little better than hosing the engine off, which is what I've read that some people do.

I guess not too many of you guys are detail geeks. :) I just want to keep my daily driver in tiptop shape.

Blakester
03-20-11, 11:23 PM
simple green in a spritzer,spray here and there with a little care, rinse litely, wpe and buff.

baabootoo
03-21-11, 01:07 AM
Like they said, rinse, don't power blast.

neuronbob
03-21-11, 03:09 PM
Thanks again guys. I peeked at the engine over the weekend and though things are packed in there pretty tightly, I should be able to get the job done.

Cars and Coffee in Cleveland starts in two months and I want to be show-ready.

Torxila
03-21-11, 04:02 PM
Simple Green like the others have said, however I have used my Karcher power washer on all my car engines and compartments. If you have a power washer, set it to LOW PRESSURE and you'll be good.

I also use my shop vac (on reverse mode) to help blow dry places my fat hands can't get with a soft cloth.

Don't use any of that gooey (Dealer) shiny Sh!t to finish the hoses or plastic pieces.

Send us pics after your detail, OK
George

Tuna
03-21-11, 05:15 PM
I'm a Simple Green fan also. I use a rag or brush with SG and then rinse with low pressure water. Afterward, I use my air compresser with the output set to 40 psi and blow dry it. Then I finish it off with C-Magic Interior & Underhood Protectant http://www.cmagicwax.com/products/protectant.html

Looks great.

Torxila
03-21-11, 05:26 PM
Tuna,

Do you dilute (like instuctions say) it even more for the matt finish or is it fine right out of the bottle?

Have you been using this product for a while?

Thanks,
George

Tuna
03-22-11, 12:45 PM
Tuna,

Do you dilute (like instuctions say) it even more for the matt finish or is it fine right out of the bottle?

Have you been using this product for a while?

Thanks,
George

So far, I'm using it straight out of the bottle. The finish not shiny but 'clean' looking.

I've been using C-Magic products for about 3 years now. I met the owner in Ft. Worth at the Lone Star Classic Corvette show and he basically handed me a couple of different bottles of his stuff to try at the show. I told him I'd give his stuff a year and if I liked it, I'd stay with it. Guess you could say I like it.
I use almost all of this products now.