: Picked up my new V today!!!

DDS rollin a CTS
03-20-11, 12:38 AM
First of all I want to say a great big THANKS!!! to Craig! Your honesty, fairness, and patience made this a very pleasant transaction for me despite the best efforts of the bank. ;) I LOVE the car and will do everything I can to take as good care of it as you did.

Second of all...Lafayette IN to Atlanta GA and back in almost exactly 19 hours is one heck of a trip!!! I stopped along the way at the Corvette museum in Bowling Green and snapped this pic with my phone:

Now a little about the car. Its an 07 with just under 30k miles when I picked it up, silver with grey interior, and moonroof delete. Overall it is very clean. I'm going to look into getting a few rock chips and a scratch fixed. Anyone have any recommendations on the types of places I should go to/avoid for paint work? I'm especially interested if you know of anywhere in the Lafayette or Indianapolis IN areas. Theres also a little curb rash on a couple of wheels so if anyone knows of where I should go to get that fixed that would be helpful as well. The car is in excellent mechanical condition and hopefully my noobness at driving a manual transmission didnt harm that too much on the way home. Which actually brings me to another topic...

More than once I've seen comments on here about the "slushyness" of the stock gearbox. Has anyone else had problems with missing 6 and going into 4 instead? I also started to go into 3 once when trying to downshift to 5. Would an aftermarket shifter make it any easier to go into the proper gear, or is this just sound like a matter of my inexperience?

I'll definately be doing a lot more reading around here to figure out what I want to do next with the car, but tomorrow will be taken up by me getting to know her a little better and getting a start on my "mod list". :thumbsup:

cvettr/cts-v
03-20-11, 01:15 AM
Congrats and yes a short shifter and weighted knob does wonders for the shifting.

Claimslngr
03-20-11, 10:15 AM
Welcome!

Shifter helps as does time. Save the money for a weighted knob and buy headers instead. You won't care then!

By the way, time to change your sig!

perfect
03-20-11, 11:50 AM
Another Purdue guy! Congrats!

(I'm an 07 alumnus).

I can't comment on where to get your paint work done in the area though. What are you studying?

DDS rollin a CTS
03-20-11, 12:36 PM
Another Purdue guy! Congrats!

(I'm an 07 alumnus).

I can't comment on where to get your paint work done in the area though. What are you studying?

Oh I'm not a Purdue student, I grew up in Lafayette and now I'm a Dentist here.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-20-11, 12:37 PM
Welcome!

Shifter helps as does time. Save the money for a weighted knob and buy headers instead. You won't care then!

By the way, time to change your sig!

Hmmm, headers you say? And actually a lot of whats listed in the sig is getting transferred over to the new car so I cant change it quite yet.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-20-11, 01:03 PM
Just thought of another question for you all. Whats up with the center armrest thingy? Why didnt they put a bigger one in with a cubby like in the v6 CTS's? And does anyone know if it would be possible to swap one of the cubby ones in? Its just too darn short and I constantly used that cubby in my old car so I want it back (the cubby not the car).

perfect
03-20-11, 02:40 PM
It is definitely possible to swap to the bigger armrest from the V6 CTS. Many people have done it, check the FAQ.

Even though you didn't go to Purdue, you're still a fan...right!?

rand49er
03-20-11, 03:02 PM
Call Luke for a CTS console cubby. Rather easy install, too.

Being a dentist, you definitely need to protect your hands and fingers, to find someone to do a shifter for you. PISNUOFF has a very economical solution. Luke (I think) still has UUC shifters for sale.

Oh, yeah, WELCOME!

DDS rollin a CTS
03-20-11, 03:34 PM
It is definitely possible to swap to the bigger armrest from the V6 CTS. Many people have done it, check the FAQ.

Even though you didn't go to Purdue, you're still a fan...right!?

I went to IU for dental school so I have dual allegances, but I'll still cheer for purdue if they're playing IU

MikeV
03-20-11, 05:14 PM
Congrats on the new ride. Stock shifter and knob are a POS and not worthy of this vehicle! Luckily there's a nice young gentleman on the forums here named PISNUOFF who modifies the stock shifters for us for a very nice price. And you can also call on your GM cousins from down under and procure a Holden/Commodore/GTO shift knob and boot that makes the modded shifter a dream. Also you should make sure to flush your clutch fluid (Ranger method is cake) because $100 says its either low, dirty or likely both right now. Finally run some Amsoil torque drive ATD or equivalent in your trans. Almost forgot, CS motor mounts are a must have. Takes all the clunk out of the drivetrain and another $100 says at least your drivers side is shot right now if they're still stock.

I've given you all the hints now go out there and search away. There are MANY threads on all of the above. Follow this advise and you will love driving your V. Don't and you'll curse it more often than not.

SSBA427430
03-20-11, 06:01 PM
Hey Bryan,

Thanks for all the kind words and it was a pleasure dealing with you as well. You really bought a wonderful car and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Thanks again.

Craig

Stepside
03-21-11, 12:04 AM
As far as your missed shifts . . that is you not putting any right side pressure on the shifter,
when you are going from 5th to 6th, or downshifting from 6th to 5th.
Every manual will go toward neutral-center when taking out of gear. You'll get the 'feel' of it quickly, though.
There is a lockout for reverse, so don't worry about it going in there.
:hmm:Gee, I never saw a DDS with greasy fingers . :shhh:. . lucky they wear gloves today.
Good Luck, have FUN.

KaMaSuTrA
03-21-11, 12:23 AM
Say...that's a nice spot to take pictures lol

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/38223_412470504271_647094271_4646799_2584951_n.jpg

Congrats on the new ride!

DDS rollin a CTS
03-21-11, 11:47 AM
As far as your missed shifts . . that is you not putting any right side pressure on the shifter,
when you are going from 5th to 6th, or downshifting from 6th to 5th.
Every manual will go toward neutral-center when taking out of gear. You'll get the 'feel' of it quickly, though.
There is a lockout for reverse, so don't worry about it going in there.
:hmm:Gee, I never saw a DDS with greasy fingers . :shhh:. . lucky they wear gloves today.
Good Luck, have FUN.

Yeah I got the shifting thing figured out now, no more problems since the drive home saturday.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-23-11, 11:29 AM
Decided to hardwire up my radar detector last night. It was a series of one failure after another. First I couldnt get the overhead light console off. I kept pulling harder and harder until it finally popped loose. Unfortunately those of you who have removed this panel know how short the wire is for the onstar microphone. Well my microphone is now wireless... Anyone know how involved it would be to rewire that? The end in the roof is too short to get ahold of and splice to, so I think I need to go back to wherever it splices into a harness somewhere. Why did they have to make it so damn short?! Anyways I brushed that off since I dont have onstar activated anyways and attempted to wire in my radar detector. For whatever reason the wire splicers that I used when I did this in my other car didnt make a good connection so I didnt get any power, so its back to radio shack tonight to see if I can find something else that might work. I sure hope swapping the rear bezel lights goes better than this!

shadybx7
03-23-11, 11:45 AM
please post pics of what the over head console looks like without a sunroof.. i have never seen one..
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/73658d1300591512-picked-up-my-new-v-today-photo4.jpg
whats going on with that side skirt loooks funny to me????

rlj5
03-23-11, 05:25 PM
Congrats on the beautiful new ride, & Welcome to the V world

DDS rollin a CTS
03-23-11, 08:29 PM
Success!!! Picked up a new set of wire taps and got the radar detector wired up. Also put on a couple of window stickers and swapped in the euro spec rear fogs. Me thinks its time for a beer. Getting ready for rain so pics maybe tomorrow.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-30-11, 03:29 PM
Feeling the burn...in the wallet that is! Just ordered a "PISSNUOFF short shifter", V2 suede shift knob, and regular cts-style center console. I know I promised before but this time I really will take pics after its all done.

jebfrank
03-31-11, 01:27 PM
Congrats on your new ride. On the painting advise, If you were wanting to drive down to Indy, I have had great luck using Lockhart Cadillac North. Their body shops does great work, however I would stay away from their service department!

DDS rollin a CTS
03-31-11, 01:43 PM
Congrats on your new ride. On the painting advise, If you were wanting to drive down to Indy, I have had great luck using Lockhart Cadillac North. Their body shops does great work, however I would stay away from their service department!

Lockhart Cadillac North is the one at Keystone and 56th street right? I actually went there for service back when I lived in indy. There was a service advisor named Rob who was really good to work with. Unfortunately he had to leave for medical reasons and I never found anyone else I liked as much. The only time i worked with the collision department it took a few tries to get a good paint match but they kept at it until it was right so I respect them for that. I got really worried when I moved back to Lafayette because the service department at the old Cadillac dealership here was...well i dont have anything nice to say about them. I havent been to the new dealership much so we'll see how they do.