: My Girl Friend Drives an ACCENT AHHHH

JJhomer83
10-05-04, 12:21 AM
So,
Part of the reason i have been away is b/c I moved out. I moved out with my girlfriend. Life is good with her and we get along great. The down side is her car. She drives a 97 Hyundai Accent with 150k on the dail. I HATE THAT GO KART. I have to drive it to work every now and then to save on gas b/c its 50 miles round trip. Now the problem how to get rid of it and what to get her. Any suggestions...from the married folk. We are getting 2 new cars in about 6 months the first one is hers. We are spending tops 4,000 and she wants something small and good gas mileage but i need to be able to drive it without getting :rant2: pissed. The next car is mine. I am most likely going with the CTS or a GXP. So guys what are my choices and what if she wants something i hate. Is it worth the arguement with her or just make her happy. This is one of the first "big" choices We have to make. She already said that i can get what I want as long as she can park the car. She test drove all the cars. I wanted a used STS but she said it was a little too big. For her. But for her car she wants something compact.

Your opinions are much needed and appriciated.

Thanks in advance. This living together stuff is very new to me but its exciting too b/c we get along great.

Night Wolf
10-05-04, 12:39 AM
New I would say a Mazda3... those are very nice little cars...

for $4k...

does she want compact or mid-size?

compact, maybe a SunFire or Caviler? midsize, Grand Am's are very cool cars.... SE have 4banger with 5spd or auto (V6 is optional) and GT only have V6... V6 only gets auto though....

... I hate small cars... the smallest car I will ever owna nd drive (beisdes a Miata or some small weekend roadster) would be something midsize like my Olds... which, BTW is great on gas too... 21/32 all the time, 15 years old, 123k, 3800 V6....

maybe give us more detials... auto or manual? hatchback or coupe/sedan? car for spirited driving or just to get form point A to B cheapest as possible etc...

Stoneage_Caddy
10-05-04, 12:40 AM
thats a good news bad news deal isnt it ?

livin with a great girl but ...she drives an accent .....

You know those things are the automotive equivelent to a cheap christmas ornment ? not only do they fade out in 2 days but you step on it wrong youll be picking korean glass out of your feet for 3 weeks . Worst part is the fact they defy laws of gravity , if boath the ornament and a accent were flung out of a window the chritmas ball would hit the ground way before that korean car does .....even the ground wants nothing to do with those cars , the same object that accepts turds from your dog .....

Go with a CTS .... i hate front wheel drive ....

ShadowLvr400
10-05-04, 12:42 AM
Want a steady, reliable, solid little car? 97+ Chevy Malibu/Oldsmobile Cutlass. They're stout, and oddly fun to trash around.

Night Wolf
10-05-04, 12:56 AM
Well, if the most newest and coolest styling isn't your thing...

... I will 100% back up any Oldsmobile product... my Eighty Eight has been soo reliable and through so much stuff... the damn thing is just a great car, very fun to drive (pretty quick, and handles well for what it is)....

... honeslty, if you want a nice family sedan car.. check out the 90's oldsmobiel Eighty Eight... I personnlay REALLY like the restyle in '97 (nose is nice)

they are CHEAP too... you could opt for the rare LSS and get the super charger (same car as grand Prix GTP or Regal GS)

but a regular LS Eighty Eight will get you 3800 V6 (200hp) with 22/33mpg or so, mid-size car, luxury options... pw, pl, power seat, AC etc... I can just go on and on with the car... read reviews... the thing averages 95%+.... when I was reading reviews for 1989 Eighty Eights, the worst i could find was a 3/5 becuase the guy said he beat the hell out of it for a year and it finally died... he never changed the oil, over heat various times, got up to 60mph on ice and put the car sideways and hit a pole, and other stupid things... he said he hated the car, but coudln't see giving it anything less then what it deserved (a 3 out of 5 rating) becuse it was such a good car... then went to say he felt bad and wished he never did any of that :suspect:

But the heart of the 88 is the 3800 V6.... one of the best V6's ever made.. my father has it ('99 GTP.... fast) I have it... they are just a powerful, very low maintenace, never die, great on gas enigne.... people get 350k+ out of a 3800 car and the enigne is still fine... the Series II (starign in '96) is 200hp and 240ft lbs of torque.... low in the rev band too... it is a 90* V6 also... my 3800 is 165hp and 220 tq.. and still moves my car around very nice....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2492445711&category=6406&sspagename=WDVW

^ check that out... sweet car...

Again, it dosn't ahve the hip or wow factor... but that is a good thing.. the car blends in... blends in to a theif or the cops etc... In fact I like the Eighty Eight so much, that my next vehicle, if it isn't a Cadillac (or a truck) it is going to be a '97+ Eighty Eight (LSS...s/c)

Actually I made a mistake, the 88 is on the same platform as the Bonnieville... not the Grand Prix... nd the Bonnie SSEi's are ncie too...

... but defintly check out the Olds...

Pics of my Olds:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/367639/5

I havn't up dated that in a looong time, so alot of it is out of date... my Olds was the first gen FWD (witht he boxy styling.. which is kinda cool) then '91-'96 was 2nd gen... IMO the nose looked bad... but the side, back and interrior were basciallt the same even with the change in '97....

majax
10-05-04, 01:01 AM
Dare I say a early 90's Honda Accord :suspense:

Those Oldsmobiles dont seem to bad, hmm.

Ralph
10-05-04, 02:09 AM
Good luck with the living together gig. I've done that for 6 years now! I sure test drive before I purchase. :sneaky: Remember, it's all about "give and take" sometimes you gotta give of it can be HELL! :shhh:

What are her preferences? For Japanese I would recommend Honda Civic, but get the Vtek engine. The safety rating is better by 2 stars than the new Mazda 3. Heck, I'd even buy a SX 2.0 Dodge because I think you get a lot for the money, and comparable to Civic, and not to mention the most comfortable and supportive seats imaginable IMO.

Forget the Corolla if you are taller than 5' 8''. the steering wheel is too close to the dash and if you are at least 5' 11'' like me, you arms are fully extended and is uncomfortable. Depends how tall she is I suppose.

If you can afford it get the CTS.

p.s. talking to my Caddy dealer today and he told me that the Park Ave. Buick is history! They got too expensive and instead for the same price everyone bought a base Deville.

daacon
10-05-04, 02:20 AM
Toyota - Camry (nice) Corola (not as nice) ...with Oil peaking (and may go higher yet !!!) at $50.00 USD a barrel .....fuel economy make sense ......

Honda (accords - newer civics ) are bearable .....

I don' think you can beat the Japenese cars for gas mileage ....now if we are talking comfort and space (for those of us over 6' ..although I owned a Camry and have to admit ....there was room to spare) .....

My wife now dives a GMC (Ponitac Montana - not bad gas millage - but a 95 Liter tank !!!!!!! about 25 USD gallons) and I drive the 4.9 Litre gas (about 18 USD gallons) guzzler ...........

Ralph
10-05-04, 02:33 AM
Honda (accords - newer civics ) are bearable .....

She wants compact Daacon. Aren't Accords considered mid-size?

I would have an Accord over a Camry simply because it's a star better in side-impact safety. Plus Camrys are just so damn boring. Even the Nissan Altima is nicer and more exciting, but that's a mid-size too.

Yes, safety is one of my major purchasing factors but no one else seems to care but me.

luddyludwick
10-05-04, 02:51 AM
Ummm...you're going to hate me for this, but...

Check out the newer Hyundais...I can vouch for them being GREAT cars...or at least my midsize Sonata is. They are more refined now, will not rust out like the old ones, and have enough power. Plus, they are reliable (61,000 on mine with no problems other than new front rotors...covered under warranty.) The only problem is that I think the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is non-transferrable...only the original owner gets it.

I also like Mazdas...I think the Protege is a particularly good car. Plus, you avoid the everyones-got-one stigma of a Civic or Corolla!

Jesda
10-05-04, 03:47 AM
The 97-99 Malibu/Cutlass has a habit of eating brakes. A nasty habit. Otherwise solid cars. The Hyundai Sonata and Mazda Protege and Mazda 3 are also excellent. A used Miata would be a good deal too.

T_Dogg8
10-05-04, 08:51 AM
i don't really care for hondas, but accords and civics seem to last forever. plus they get decent gas mileage. and i don't think they look that bad.

daacon
10-05-04, 09:09 AM
She wants compact Daacon. Aren't Accords considered mid-size?I.

Sadly I think you are right ..."mid size" :bonkers: - buy a Mini - just watch out for large pebbles and small rodents :helpless:

juiceE
10-05-04, 01:39 PM
i want my girl to get a mini,(just moved in with her 2 months ago:banghead2:) i think id be fun to drive that lil ass go cart:bouncy: , after driving my fleet wood, two ends of car spectrum, but she doesnt like them, she's stuck on gettin a 300m which i think is a straight car too

Ralph
10-05-04, 03:47 PM
Sadly I think you are right ..."mid size" :bonkers: - buy a Mini - just watch out for large pebbles and small rodents :helpless:

Actually it might be a good idea for them to get an Accord, but with the 4 banger to save gas for the commute? At least with the Honda 4 you don't have a rubber timing belt to change, but with the V6 you do. I don't like to recommend rice but I'd rather drive American personally.

JJhomer83
10-05-04, 10:51 PM
maybe give us more detials... auto or manual? hatchback or coupe/sedan? car for spirited driving or just to get form point A to B cheapest as possible etc...

Well she does not want a manual unless its a steal and you just can't say no. She would preferably like to have 4 doors. Other than that she doesn't care she has to be able to drive it with ease. She told me she loves her car now but wants 4 doors, power windows, power door locks, and a sun roof would be nice. She understands getting 4 doors means a little bit bigger car.

About my eldo she doesn't mind driving it but around town on a regular basis she wants something smaller. She would prefer me to drive the luxary/larger car if she needs to drive but wants it for long trips.

Hope that helps you Night Wolf

Adam
10-05-04, 10:57 PM
Want a steady, reliable, solid little car? 97+ Chevy Malibu/Oldsmobile Cutlass. They're stout, and oddly fun to trash around.

im with ShadowLvr on this one. you could also try getting a Catera if you can find one in that price range. see she has a Catera and you can have a Catera Touring Sedan. it all works out!!!!

JJhomer83
10-05-04, 10:57 PM
The 97-99 Malibu/Cutlass has a habit of eating brakes. A nasty habit. Otherwise solid cars. The Hyundai Sonata and Mazda Protege and Mazda 3 are also excellent. A used Miata would be a good deal too.

I was thinking about a miata would be fun to drive but then i think it would wear off

Domestic or foreign doesn't mean anything to her basically under price range 4k

Stoneage_Caddy
10-06-04, 12:11 AM
Infiniti G20s are notriously relible (rated many times beatter than civic or corolla)

Only downside is the weak roof structure and its tendacy to oversteer (odd in a front drive car) , Oversteer condition has been noted in several automotive magzines durein 1991-1996 , was cured along with the roof isssue in 1999-02

Sandy
10-06-04, 12:57 AM
A 6 Cyl Buick Regal is tough to beat for economy, safety, comfort, quality and low insurance costs. That would be my choice. (And, it's American! :D )

Stoneage_Caddy
10-06-04, 01:00 AM
Yah , cant go wrong with a buick at all , if i was only allowed to have one american car and it had to last me my entire life ...itd be a Buick , there just great quaility cars ....

Ralph
10-06-04, 01:07 AM
Yah , cant go wrong with a buick at all , if i was only allowed to have one american car and it had to last me my entire life ...itd be a Buick , there just great quaility cars ....

The new Buick Allure in a nice looking car. Have you seen them yet?

This may seem harsh, but I would stay away from the older '97+ Malibus, Olds Cutlass, Olds Alero because all of these have ONE thing in common. Can anybody guess what it is? (something I mentioned already)

davesdeville
10-07-04, 01:35 AM
Let me guess, safety. I don't trust those star rating systems.

Ralph
10-07-04, 02:19 AM
Let me guess, safety. I don't trust those star rating systems.

Ding Ding, correct, and a whole star for side-impact on those cars. I don't know how the NHTSA gets those stars, but I still won't let my Fiance own one of them.

There must be some crappy reason for those ratings. You don't have to think about safety Dave, you drive a freaking Sherman tank!