: Trunk popping open when opening the door...

shchow
03-19-11, 07:49 PM
I find that when I open my trunk to put something in there and close it, when I go to open my door, the trunk pops back open again.
This happens only after I open and close the trunk.
Fairly reproducible.
I'm not terribly bothered by it.
Just curious if anyone else has the same problem...

dry sump
03-19-11, 08:48 PM
Me too, samething?

hulksdaddy
03-19-11, 11:05 PM
Hmmm, didn't get that option. What was the RPO?:duck:

RapidRob
03-19-11, 11:28 PM
Last time I had weird stuff like that happening, I was carrying my fob around in a pocket that had other stuff like another vehicle fob and keys in it, etc. Finally assigned the Caddy fob to it's own personal, (clutter-free), pocket, and all gremlins disappeared. Just sayin .....

Rob

shchow
03-19-11, 11:47 PM
Hmmm, didn't get that option. What was the RPO?:duck:

LOL,
I may have accidentally checked that box by mistake.
I believe it's a "no cost" option...

BeagleBrains
03-20-11, 01:39 PM
I have the same experience. However, after shopping and safely 'securing' my expensive purchases in the Trunk, we usually stop for dinner at a Restaurant. Upon return to the car, Ah Ha! The trunk is raised, OPEN.
So far, all of my valuable purchases, expensive Air Compressor, etc. remain in tact. Sincere thank you to the honest people.
More fun is had as I carry a large load of Groceries up our split level stairs and hear the Security System activation of the continuous Horn Honking.
I have arrived at a similar conclusion; the Cadi V Key Fob reposed with others in my pocket is probably activated upon egress from the car. I remain blind as I pass by the raised Trunk Lid. :annoyed:
Rearranging my Key Fob carrying habits.:yup:

tedcmiller
03-20-11, 02:01 PM
I too have had numerous bogus key operations (open trunk, alarm, etc.) all of which are obviously due to buttons on the remote being pushed while in my pocket. It should be noted that, unlike some other cars, the trunk on the 2009 and later CTS-V does not open noticeably (only enough to disingage the lock), so unless you see the message in the DIC or physically check it when out of the car, you are very unlikely to know that it is unlocked. I keep the remote in a pocket by itself with other keys in a key case and it still happens, Solution? Don't carry the remote on your person or be more careful.

LFTW8S
03-20-11, 02:12 PM
I find that when I open my trunk to put something in there and close it, when I go to open my door, the trunk pops back open again.
This happens only after I open and close the trunk.
Fairly reproducible.
I'm not terribly bothered by it.
Just curious if anyone else has the same problem...

Same happens to me. Open trunk...close trunk...grab drivers door handle...TRUNK RE-OPENS. Weird and does not make sense. Also, PITA to get out and close it after getting in the car. Has to have a fix.

shchow
03-20-11, 02:25 PM
I too have had numerous bogus key operations (open trunk, alarm, etc.) all of which are obviously due to buttons on the remote being pushed while in my pocket. It should be noted that, unlike some other cars, the trunk on the 2009 and later CTS-V does not open noticeably (only enough to disingage the lock), so unless you see the message in the DIC or physically check it when out of the car, you are very unlikely to know that it is unlocked. I keep the remote in a pocket by itself with other keys in a key case and it still happens, Solution? Don't carry the remote on your person or be more careful.

You are absolutely correct about the trunk only unlocking and not swing wide open. Sometimes the only way I know the trunk is opened is the warning in my instrument cluster.
I thought about the Key Fob issue. But what does not make sense is that the trunk would re-open only when the door is opened.
You would think that if it was truly the Key Fob, the trunk would open randomly and should not be triggered by anything in particular...

Not knowing how the Key Fob actually works, I would imagine that there is an unique wireless "fingerprint" for each car/fob.
What I don't know is whether the doors and trunk each have their own distinct signal, or the car itself has one common "fingerprint".
If the doors and trunk have their own distinct identifier, then maybe the wavelength (?) may be close enough that opening one might trigger the other.
What seems more likely is that the car as a whole has a single "fingerprint", and when activating the door, there is probably some sort of power surge that triggers the trunk lock mechanism as well.

God, I'm such a fricken dweeb...

BeagleBrains
03-21-11, 10:28 AM
When approaching within a few feet of the car, the Key Fob establishes a radio frequency sync link as a permissive for your programmed door unlock/lock, personalized seat and steering wheel positioning, etc.
The manual Lock/Unlock, Trunk Open and Security Alarm function at a greater distance.
Door handle execution affecting TRUNK OPEN does not ring any bells for me! :crying:
My job of 33 years required me to evaluate peculiar electonic signals (successfully) but does not awaken my intuition here.
Possibly a Sync Door OPEN status confirmation signal back to the Key Fob thus activating programming erroneously within the Key Fob to open the TRUNK.:cookoo:

Mike 09 V
03-21-11, 12:41 PM
Could be some wiring harness problem with the door since the trunk unlock button is in the door, and opening it seems to have something to do with the problem. Probably not though.

wfo
03-21-11, 01:08 PM
I get it on occassion, (four times in about 3 months) so not with any consitency.

When I open trunk at the driver's door, then go back close the trunk and then touch the key pad on drivers door again to get in.

e6t
03-21-11, 01:14 PM
if my car kicked me in the nuts when i walked up to it, i would not be surprised.

tedcmiller
03-21-11, 02:23 PM
Any of the buttons on a FOB operate at a much greater distance (at least 30 ft.) than the automatic door unlock does. This is because the receivers for the automatic function are good for only about one meter (approx 39 in.). The receiver for the in-car operations is located in the center console. This is why the owner's manual tells you to place the FOB in the special pocket in the console when the battery is weak. This is as close to that receiver as you can get without removing it from the console.

Each FOB has a unique numeric code that it transmits to the car when a button is pushed. This is why new FOBs must be programmed. When this code is recognized, the requested function is performed. It has nothing to do with close frequencies or anything like that.

One poster referred to the "key pad on the drivers door"..."to get in." I am familiar only with the three-button keypad on the inside of the driver's door, which can only be reached if you are already in or by reaching through the open driver's window.

BeagleBrains
03-21-11, 05:01 PM
Take a breath. '.. ...referred to the "key pad on the drivers door"..."to get in."
Speaking in broad terms, the TRUNK OPEN button is positioned where the person who is most likely to operate it will be the Driver.
Most often, the only person in the car (first entering; last egressing) will be the Driver. Predominantly operated controls wil be in proximity to the DRIVER.
The first mechanism to fail is the Driver's door Window operator and controls since it experiences the most frequent manipulation.
Sir. I have read the Owners Manual - thoroughly. I agree with you and the Design Engineers, in that I want the Automatic Door UNLOCK to function when I am in very close proximity to the car, ensuring my personal safety whereby a stranger will not gain access to my car before me. KEY FOB button functions are appreciated at a greater distance to light my way and signal actions.
I programmed the DIC so that only the Driver-side door will auto UNLOCK with special consideration to my wife's safety, should she be driving alone; no stranger can enter the Passenger side door unannounced.

IBNR
03-21-11, 07:27 PM
I do this every day on my way to and from work: Approach car with fob in front pants pocket. Open trunk (usually by touching the pressure button between the license plate lights without hitting any button on the fob). Drop in briefcase. Close trunk. Open driver's door (by pulling on the door handle and not by pushing any button on the fob). Get in, start up, drive off. Not once in the hundreds of times I've done this have I ever experienced the trunk (or any other portal) unlocking or opening again. I'd say that if you've eliminated all sources of unintentional pocket-contents actuation of the fob buttons and this is still happening to you, then you have an electrical gremlin worthy of dealer attention under warranty. What people are describing here is very clearly not supposed to happen.

fast32vsts
04-23-11, 01:06 AM
has any one found a dealer that knows what the problem is. Just got my car back today after several modules being replaced and a key fob re-learn. My trunk still pops open. My dealer also called Cadillac and Cadillac says they have only herd of 2 CTS cars that have ever had the problem. I think mine is number 2. Thanks

lawfive
04-25-11, 04:58 PM
Mine does the same thing. Just verified that, as with others here, it only happens if I first open and close the trunk, then open the driver's door.

Big Pappy
04-27-11, 10:37 AM
x3 mine too. open trunk with button by the plate, close trunk, open door- Pop, trunk re-opens. I replicated this with the fob in my hand- it is NOT accidental activation. If after opening the trunk, I manually lock the car with the FOB and then manually unlock with the FOB, then it doesn't happen. It really makes me nuts.

lawfive
05-24-11, 02:15 PM
Still happening. I have verified that it is not being caused by accidentally pressing a button on the keyfob. My scenario is:

Car set to autolock
Manually open trunk, either with driver's door button or with pad on trunk handle
Close the trunk
Open the driver door
Trunk pops open

I haven't taken the time to change things up and investigate further, i.e. does it happen with autolock enabled if I manually unlock the door with the fob; does it happen with autolock disabled, does it happen if a different door is opened, etc.

I suspect that Cadillac has only heard of this happening on two CTS-Vs because the other owners haven't reported it, or their dealers haven't called it in. Feels like a software bug to me.

lawfive
05-24-11, 02:24 PM
I just tried a bunch of times and couldn't reproduce the problem. Very frustrating, especially since I included what I believe was the exact sequence of actions I used last night after work before I found myself driving home with the "Trunk open" warning on in the DIC.

SleepTight
05-24-11, 09:23 PM
Happens to me as well occasionally. I do not think it is key fob related as the only time it happens is after I have opened and closed the trunk. If I was was accidentally hitting the trunk unlock button on the key fob it would happen in other situations.

JimmyH
05-24-11, 09:39 PM
I just tried a bunch of times and couldn't reproduce the problem. Very frustrating, especially since I included what I believe was the exact sequence of actions I used last night after work before I found myself driving home with the "Trunk open" warning on in the DIC.

IIRC, your trunk was always open.

buddyg
05-25-11, 12:26 PM
Has happened to me but doesn't happen every time.

lawfive
06-29-11, 08:29 PM
Still trying to figure out whether this is a software glitch or something else. When you open a door on a locked V2, a signal is sent to unlock the other doors. Is it possible that some of us have a simple wiring problem that intermittently allows this signal to be transferred to the wire that runs to the trunk lock via induction?

osubeaver
07-19-11, 10:48 PM
Mine does it too. I took my car in for it's first service and the clicky front wheel thing. I wasn't even going to say anything about the trunk popping open when I open the door sometimes, since it is hard to replicate to say the least. Out of habit now I watch the trunk when I grab the door handle. It happens at the precise instant the door unlocks so I know it's not a key fob button being inadvertently pressed. I have never accidently locked, unlocked, honked the horn, or opened the trunk only. It only happens after I open then close the trunk, then grab the door handle.

And it just happened to do it when I was getting in the car to leave the dealer. The service writer said he'd go check with the techs or whoever to see if they recall seeing it. He came back and there has been one other car they've seen do this. They supposedly fixed it and are going to look up the history and see what they did to fix it. I'm going to call them next week, I'll report back. I told the service guy it wasn't a big deal and he said it is, since it's not supposed to do that LOL.

FWIW the other car owner only noticed it after it had been raining. I haven't noticed that pattern, but I also haven't been paying that close of attention with regard to when it does it.

shchow
07-19-11, 11:18 PM
Let us know if it gets fixed.
I still get this problem every so often...

lawfive
08-05-11, 01:16 AM
I asked my dealer's service department yesterday and it turns out that there's a service bulletin on this problem. In cars it happens to they replace what my tech called "the trunk switch." They ordered one for me and I'll let you know if it seems to fix the problem.

osubeaver
08-21-11, 05:55 PM
Good to know. It turns out the service manager I talked to was mistaken. When I checked back, the "fix" they tried on the other car didn't work. Mine hasn't been doing it so it's been out of sight, out of mind.

lawfive
09-10-11, 08:23 PM
Definitive fix, guys. As I mentioned in my previous post there was a bulletin saying that the trunk switch should be replaced, and my dealer ordered one for me. In between then and the time I took my car in a second bulletin came out saying that the trunk switch wasn't the problem and that the car needed to be reprogrammed. As my sedan is bone stock, I let them do that. And it worked. Full stop.

BeagleBrains
09-11-11, 02:38 PM
Drove my Corvette exclusively for three days. Arrived home after participating as Corvette Club parade car at a local High School. Backed into the Garage. Walked around to pass my CTS V Coupe and enter the house. Alass! The Coupe's trunk lid was OPEN!!!!!
Nothing CTS V latches touched; no entries; no intentional Key Fob actions associated with the Cadi. The only possibility was component interaction with the Fob while retained within my left front pocket. With this consideration in mind, why are the door lock features never free due to an inadvertent Key Fob unlock signal!
Having read here that GM stated that there are only two reports of Trunk openings with unknown cause, I will proceed to my local Cadillac Dealer to ensure that there is a third instance on their (GM's) records documenting this ghostly problem.:stirpot:

shchow
09-11-11, 02:53 PM
Definitive fix, guys. As I mentioned in my previous post there was a bulletin saying that the trunk switch should be replaced, and my dealer ordered one for me. In between then and the time I took my car in a second bulletin came out saying that the trunk switch wasn't the problem and that the car needed to be reprogrammed. As my sedan is bone stock, I let them do that. And it worked. Full stop.

That's great to know!
Will have to visit my local dealer...

John De Leo
09-12-11, 12:31 PM
I have had my 2011 CTS-V for 9 months now. It has happened to me about 4 times. I open the trunk. Close the trunk. Open the left rear door and the trunk opens. I keep the key fob by itself in my pocket with only one key and my Mobil/Exxon speed pass on the same ring. I am going to remove the key and speed pass from the fob as an experiment for the next couple months and see if it is me or the caddy.

TGH
12-29-11, 11:59 AM
My trunk unlocks like most have described. I found it intriguing, at first, trying to determine what was the cause. Is it as remote as a reaction with a cell phone, power lines or the compass heading of the car. Maybe it's temperature or humidity related. Or as simple as a coin, pocket lint or the pants material itself pressing the trunk release button on the fob. Perhaps it's my magnetic personality, NOPE! It's no longer intriguing, for sure, it's annoying and a bit embarrassing. Open trunk, put in stuff, close trunk, open door
CLOSE TRUNK AGAIN, go home.
Certain I would get the "LOOK" from the service writer while explaining the problem AND the car would not "perform" it's magic trick for the tech. I kept it quite and searched the web for the problem "trunk pops open" the first hit found your website forum. So, I'm not the only one having this problem!?

For the "definitive fix" where can I view the two bulletins LAWFIVE has mentioned. I would prefer to have all the information I can gather before visiting my dealer.

Thank you for having a great owners web site!

TGH
12-30-11, 05:26 PM
Took the CTS-V into the dealer today, explained the mysterious trunk unlocking issue. Although they were unable to reproduce the unlocking, they found a PI
#PIC5514B (which supersedes PIC5514A). It details the problem I and others have been having:

Taken from the letter I got from the dealer (Document ID: 2706517):
Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment that the decklid will unexpectedly pop open intermittenly. A typical scenerio may be thet the customer opens up the deck lid to put something in the trunk, then close the deck lid and move around to one of the front doors. While pulling on the door handle the deck lid releases.

Recomendation/Instructions:
Engineering has released a new calibration for the Remote Door Lock Reciever (RCDLR). Please update the RCDLR on any 2010 CTS built on March 23, 2010 or later, and all 2011 CTS's with an unwanted decklid opening with the latest software calibration available in the Service Programming System.

NOTE: This in not the same concern listed in PI0185A
So it is a "REAL" problem and it looks like they REALLY are addressing it!
Hoping this resolves the problem and aids others as well.

Regards,
TGH

Prof
01-30-12, 10:04 PM
OK...I have the reverse (kinda) issue.

My trunk lid does not recognize my fob...as of about a week ago. I presume the Remote Door Lock Receiver needs to be replaced??? It is only the trunk lid...is there a separate receiver for the trunk lid or is there only one receiver for the doors and the lid? Anyone know???

Thanks.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-31-12, 01:46 PM
Prof,
If you would send me your VIN number I can look into this for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Xaqtly
01-31-12, 04:33 PM
I looked through this thread and I have a question - is this only happening to sedans and coupes? Or is it also happening to wagons with the power lift gate? Or is it just sedans and not coupes? Odd problem.

stabie
01-31-12, 05:08 PM
I don't think it is just a caddy problem. I just saw a 750IL with the trunk wide open when I went into the grocery. It was still open when I came out.

Prof
02-02-12, 10:17 PM
Prof,
If you would send me your VIN number I can look into this for you.
Breanne

Breanne, I sent you a pm a couple of days ago...any info?

The alarm chimes are beginning to go off several times in a ten minute drive...getting pretty irritating.

I'll just take it to the dealer if I don't hear from you tomorrow.

CTS-Vluvr
02-19-12, 01:09 AM
I have a 2011 V with about 7k miles on it and this happens several times a month to me. The trunk will reopen at the exact moment that I pull on the drivers door handle. Not sure if it does it with other doors. I'm putting this on my list of issues that need to be tended to.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-20-12, 05:01 PM
@Prof, I just recently took over for Breanne on this forum and wanted to follow up with you regarding this post. Was a resolution reached? Please let me know, and feel free to send me a private message anytime (as was the case with Breanne).

@CTS-Vluvr, I'm sorry to hear this is occurring for you, too! If you'd like me to research this for you, you can always send me a PM and I can investigate further.

Best,

Katie

CTS-Vluvr
02-20-12, 05:14 PM
@Prof, I just recently took over for Breanne on this forum and wanted to follow up with you regarding this post. Was a resolution reached? Please let me know, and feel free to send me a private message anytime (as was the case with Breanne).

@CTS-Vluvr, I'm sorry to hear this is occurring for you, too! If you'd like me to research this for you, you can always send me a PM and I can investigate further.

Best,

Katie

You can research it if you like, though it seems like a solution has been found. I'm taking it in for service for a short list of issues and I'll have them address this one at that time. Thanks though!

Prof
02-20-12, 08:10 PM
Katie, thanks for your interest!

I went to Boucher Cadillac in Racine, WI...as usual they treated me like royalty, gave me a loaner with 11 miles on it, and found two problems...not associated with each other...a sticking button on my fob, and a failing sensor in the trunk latch...

What a pleasure to have a great service facility, and to boot, you are chasing my issue...I am a perfectly satisfied customer...

Thanks for the interest!