: 11 srx with black raven ext, paint chips like crazy!....

caddydaddy2005
03-19-11, 03:40 PM
ok guys i got my car a month, i live in ny, we had a terrible winter, the roads are horrible. but the amount of paint chips im taking are unreaaaal...now i know black, your gonna see it all...but i mean come on...i feel like every time i drive im getting a chip!...and im very cautious, and been on very clean good roads for the most part... anyone else suffering from this?...or had black raven with similar issues?
could the paint be a bad paint job ...to soft or somthing to that effect....you should be able to drive and not get chips every 2 seconds....ive had diamond white, gray, mocha...nothing like this!

thanks guys.

Marc NY
03-19-11, 03:56 PM
I can't speak for your paint condition but you might have to chalk it up to a really bad winter! I too also live in NY and it seems like to me that the winter road debris caused a lot more small stones chip damage this year.

I had heard that some highway departments were using more sand mixed in with their salt to help save on the costs of salt. That too could have caused more damage than normal.

doctormstein1
03-19-11, 04:41 PM
I can appreciate what you are saying but it might be just bad luck. So far no problems with mine on Long Island. I would be kind of upset if it happened to me also.

Ponyman
03-19-11, 04:57 PM
Do you have the factory mud shields? If not, you can get them for around $80. They fit perfectly, looks good on the vehicle, and help prevent some of the splash from the tires.

TheCaptain
03-19-11, 05:42 PM
Factory mud flaps and a clear 3M (or equivalent) bra works wonders!

caddydaddy2005
03-19-11, 05:51 PM
i have the molded flaps, i mean dont get me wrong, the chips are not HORRIFIC but there there...and i know there there and its pissing me off...lol....im going to look into the bra.

smiley47
03-19-11, 07:52 PM
Factory mud flaps and a clear 3M (or equivalent) bra works wonders!

+1 on the 3M clear bra. No matter where you live there are chips and debris but especially where sand and salt is used. Some of those grains of sand can be pretty big.
The key is to put it on as soon as you get the vehicle, before it gets damaged.

tc2010
03-20-11, 12:13 AM
I have a black '10 and noticed damage to the front from stone chips and bug innerts....The Vette has a similar malady, also due to it's plastic nose...
...When it's bad enough, I'll repaint an get the 3M covering.......:duh:

cvettr/cts-v
03-20-11, 12:53 AM
3m clear bra or equivalent is worth way more than its cost in my opinion. My mom got a 2011 srx awd performance on Monday and we had the 3m clearbra installed Wednesday. She was so impressed she had more spots done like door edges, headlights and fog lights, and inside door handle cups to protect from rings / fingernail scratches. Get yours touched up and get it protected if you can. You'll be glad in the long run if you do.

Black SRX Perf
03-21-11, 10:25 AM
I have a black '10. Same problem. A few chips appeared within the first month.

wag 42
03-21-11, 10:47 AM
The real issue is from automobile manufacturers switching to water based paints. The water based paints are not as durable as the paints of the past. I read about this all of the time on newer cars.

TheCaptain
03-21-11, 11:46 AM
Yea, you should see my buddy's Rustang. Wow, with no bra on the front the poor front end is orange and black -specked! And its only 5 years old!

coolbeans
03-24-11, 01:32 AM
You are not alone!! I have noticed a few on the wife's SRX, she remembers me telling her about 3m, she realizes it may be a good thing to do.

stevec5375
03-24-11, 09:37 AM
3m clear bra or equivalent is worth way more than its cost in my opinion. My mom got a 2011 srx awd performance on Monday and we had the 3m clearbra installed Wednesday. She was so impressed she had more spots done like door edges, headlights and fog lights, and inside door handle cups to protect from rings / fingernail scratches. Get yours touched up and get it protected if you can. You'll be glad in the long run if you do.

What color is it? I hope it's not white. I've seen some white cars with those plastic coats on them that has yellowed with time and it ain't pretty. Perhaps they have improved on them and they no longer do that. :)

sube5186
03-24-11, 07:40 PM
What color is it? I hope it's not white. I've seen some white cars with those plastic coats on them that has yellowed with time and it ain't pretty. Perhaps they have improved on them and they no longer do that. :)

The new stuff is guaranteed not to yellow and it can be removed if so desired. You have to find a shop that installs this on a regular basis, as it can be tricky to neatly (without creases) apply. You can also find the kits on eBay. Just make sure it's made by 3M. I don't know how the other brands hold up.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Solutions/For_the_Consumer/

Sube

Ballard
03-29-11, 01:19 AM
I have the 3m bra and you can barley see it on the vehicle. My SRX is black ,I put the 3m on the front bumper,part of the hood the door edges,the top rear bumper for the hatch, and even got a few extra pieces to put on the interior of the door entries. Top notch product....we will see how it holds up. Ballard