: Serpentine Belt

ahahnu
03-19-11, 02:40 PM
Any one have one of these go or need replacement? Yesterday when I started my car in the morning I noticed a small chrip from what sounded like the belt. Today It was a hell of a lot louder and continued while I was driving almost the whole way to work. With 121,000+ I think it's due. It has been showing signs of wear.

Has anyone replaced one of these before or had one replaced? Curious of how hard it is to do or how expensive to have someone do it. I'm sure I'll be able to get the old one off, but knowing me once it's off I won't be able to get the new one back on.

All replies are appreciated.

rand49er
03-19-11, 04:20 PM
Maggie guys know this very well. Belts cost just shy of $30 and take maybe five minutes to put on.

First, if you don't have the diagram of how the belt wraps around all the accessories, draw yourself an LS6 frontal view with the pulleys showing how the belt goes on them. I didn't do it pre-Maggie, but we use a 15 mm socket on a ratchet (breaker bar gives more leverage) on the idler pulley which allows you to slip the old belt off. (I'm assuming you'd use a 15 mm, too.) Using a new belt, you first wrap it around all the accessories' drive pulleys and lastly, after you've put tension on the idler pulley with the ratchet, you slip the belt onto it and release the idler pulley until the belt becomes taut. You'll find that you have to slip the socket through the belt first before you do that last step.

If you pay someone more than twenty bucks to do this for you, I want to know, because I'll personally come there and request to do the job ... I could use the cash.

ahahnu
03-19-11, 04:48 PM
Thank you for the write up. Is the idler pulley the first one towards the left when you look at the engine from the front? I can wait to do it at Vday and pay you $21 to have you do it in the parking lot of the hotel....

ahahnu
03-20-11, 09:43 AM
Yeah so when I started up the V after work yesterday I got the low coolant screen on the navi. So of course there was a small puddle under the car. I have to assume that was what was causing the screeching of the belt. This sucks. Gonna cost more then $20. I've had the radiator and water pump replaced a few years ago and I think it's the pump again from where the puddle was. I'm really disappointed.

rand49er
03-20-11, 07:24 PM
... I'm really disappointed.I should say! I know you've got a bunch of miles on your car, but two water pumps within just a few years is unusual, IMHO.

Well, you can look at this way: You saved fifty bucks ... thirty bucks for a new belt and the twenty bucks you were gonna pay me to put it on. :hide:

ahahnu
03-25-11, 05:23 PM
Finally go to get the V diagnosed today. Needs a new water pump for sure. Then tack on $285 in misc hoses and belt(s). I could ignore the extras but I figure why not? 122,000 running purr good (until now) so it could use the misc updates while it's all apart.

Thanks Luke for your help as always.

Rnady I look forward to meeting you and wrenching in the hotel parking lot. How much do you charge per hour to do all this? j/k

rand49er
03-25-11, 11:57 PM
... Rnady I look forward to meeting you and wrenching in the hotel parking lot. How much do you charge per hour to do all this? j/kAt my age, time is priceless.