: Stant InStant Fill Cap

baabootoo
03-19-11, 01:34 PM
While doing my weekly check for V parts on Summit's website, I found that Stant makes a gas tank cap that stays in place. It has a self-sealing opening so you no longer have to take the cap off and let it dangle! Kind of like with NASCAR. I know there have been codes with a loose cap, but I ordered it anyway to give it a try. It also says it's scanner safe. If it works, it will be a time saver.

cbloveday
03-19-11, 02:12 PM
Interesting. Let me know if it throws a code. It says it is OBDII compliant but unless it forms a seal, it may trigger a code. I was under the impression that the system must be under pressure. Also do you have link to the specific part number. I looked quickly and did not see one that is specifically for the cadillac cts-v.

MReiland
03-19-11, 02:39 PM
I think Ford uses a similar cap on many of their vehicles that is Emissions Compatible

http://www.insideline.com/ford/ford-killing-off-the-gas-cap.html

baabootoo
03-30-11, 12:49 AM
I just got my third tankful, and no codes or problems yet. It's even better because our tanks don't have that inner flap either. Just like at the racetrack!

cbloveday
03-30-11, 04:41 AM
Great find!
Which part number is associated with our vehicles?

CTSV4now
03-30-11, 10:09 AM
I have timed myself now and it only takes 2.6 seconds to remove the cap and another 3 seconds to grab the cap and screw it back on. Are you guys in that much of a hurry?

OldRoadDawg
03-30-11, 10:11 AM
Great find!
Which part number is associated with our vehicles?

I think this is the one........

Fill Cap (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNN-41004/Application/?query=Make%7CCADILLAC%7CModel%7CCTS%7CYear%7C2009 %7CEngine+Size%7C6.2L%2f376)
(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNN-41004/Application/?query=Make%7CCADILLAC%7CModel%7CCTS%7CYear%7C2009 %7CEngine+Size%7C6.2L%2f376)

baabootoo
03-30-11, 02:48 PM
Yep, that's it; 41004. It isn't the time really, it's the pain of that cap flopping around and twisting the cord. Have you timed yourself in -28F weather yet? It made me so mad on my Pontiac I pulled it off one day at a gas station. That cord stretched to about a foot, and snapped off. It puctured my skin slightly through gloves! this time, I gently removed it from the back.

CTSV4now
03-30-11, 02:53 PM
Okay, my times are biased since I don't get that much cold weather in Houston.

Titaniumseeker
03-31-11, 06:45 PM
You guys do know that the gas cap can rest on the gas door so that it does not hang and dangle, right? That is what the indentation on the inner gas door is for.

cbloveday
03-31-11, 07:26 PM
I am aware of that.

mrl859
03-31-11, 09:41 PM
Does anyone make a locking gas cap?

09V
03-31-11, 10:12 PM
I know this may be overthinking things, but with everyday use and frequent inclement weather wouldn't you be concerned with moisture getting into the tank. It seems like the vapor in the tank is what keeps the valve closed presumably forming an air tight seal???? However, if I don't get the car washed real frequently I can notice a lot of dirt and crap in/on and around the cap that could wind up in your tank as well. Just a thought... or 4.

baabootoo
03-31-11, 11:20 PM
Not much will get in this thing. The flapper is very tight and sealed well. If it were loose, I'd get an SES light, right?

Nutz
04-01-11, 01:01 AM
what is the weight difference between this and the stock cap?:histeric:

Playdrv4me
04-01-11, 03:07 AM
WHOA! You guys hoard all the good stuff! I am totally gettin' one of these. The Escalade's cap holder on the fuel door is a joke. Piece of shit falls off all the time, potentially scratching the black paint.

mrl859
04-01-11, 03:15 PM
My 2010 GT500 had a capless system from the factory which worked perfectly. However, the fuel door, like ours, did not lock with a remote release. Being paranoid, as I am, one of the first things I did was buy a Ford locking gas "cap" for that vehicle to ensure no sugar, sand, lizards, aliens, etc. would somehow wind up in my fuel tank. That's why I'm trying to find a manufacturer of a locking gas cap for the V and my 2011 SRX. BTW, just because I'm paranoid does NOT mean that they're not out to get me!