: Intermittent transmission issue.

InfrareV
03-19-11, 12:11 PM
Here's the issue I'm dealing with, that I've been unable to get my dealership to diagnose. Last time in they claimed it was normal behavior due to the cold weather, even though they also claim they were unable to reproduce it. They gave me a "Manual Transmission Operating Characteristics" handout and asked me to read the "Cold Operation" section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-ZvzeZhmo

RADEoN
03-19-11, 06:11 PM
what happens if you're trying to put it into gear and you pick up slightly off your clutch? it seems like the internals of the transmission are just stopping where you're having trouble.

i'd assume blipping the throttle or pumping the clutch, or like i said, letting off the clutch an inch or two would let you go right into gear. pretty sure people bitch about this issue all the time.

InfrareV
03-19-11, 07:13 PM
what happens if you're trying to put it into gear and you pick up slightly off your clutch? it seems like the internals of the transmission are just stopping where you're having trouble.

i'd assume blipping the throttle or pumping the clutch, or like i said, letting off the clutch an inch or two would let you go right into gear. pretty sure people bitch about this issue all the time.

You're right in that I think, these are somewhat common issues. My problem is I can't get the dealer to admit there is an issue, seems like people are having success with fluid changes but I haven't been able to get my dealer to do that or anything else for that matter.

kawaman
03-19-11, 07:39 PM
it is a normal behavior; you have to be moving in order to engage all the gears, tries the same thing when you are moving at 1 mph and post the result.

JustinC
03-19-11, 11:16 PM
I used to have trouble with first gear while stopped sometimes. Cleaned out the clutch hydraulic fluid a few times and never have an issue anymore.

perfect
03-20-11, 10:52 AM
x3 on needing to get the car moving in order to engage 1st or reverse. Sometimes I get locked out of reverse or I pop out before I can really get going. Sometimes 1st is just plain difficult to get into. Momentarily take your foot off of the clutch and then reengage the clutch and it usually works again.

kevm14
03-20-11, 11:35 AM
Another trick is to shift to 2nd then 1st usually works. There are things that exacerbate this condition, but the basic condition is standard behavior with the T56.

ELES6CTS
03-20-11, 06:37 PM
My car has done this since day 1. Can't explain why, but I usually back the clutch out slow and it will slide into gear then. Or, I blip the throttle and it will roll into gear. I don't know what the cause is of this, but I've just gotten used to driving it that way.

mstrjon32
03-20-11, 06:58 PM
All manuals have quirks, it doesn't look that abnormal to me. I still put the V into 4th before I put it into R just because I'm so used to driving my other vehicle which doesn't have a synchronizer on R.

EdmundGTP
03-21-11, 02:30 PM
Pretty typical. Just need to get a feel for the gearbox. One thing I've found that's helped me get into R from a dead stop is releasing the parking brake and not having my foot on the brake pedal while trying to shift into R. As already said, even a super slight roll will help; the car doesn't even have to move more than a couple inches. Shifting in and out of 1st a couple of times (releasing the clutch each time the shifter is in N) can also work in a pinch. I'd say 80% of the time I have to employ one of the above tricks to get into R and the other 20% of the time, all of the planets must be aligned just perfectly or something and it just slips right in.

Jab31169
03-21-11, 04:26 PM
Mine does the same thing sometimes. Usually I just go into 2nd then or 1st and then into reverse. Same with first, I've gotten into a habit of going into second and then to first to start from a dead stop.

50 4Ever
03-21-11, 05:34 PM
I have no problems what so ever shifting into any gears with my '07. My '05 however was a different story, it was very hard to get into reverse and sometimes 1st. Took it to the dealer and they noticed that when the engine was off there was no problem shifting into reverse. But when they started the engine they couldn't shift into reverse. They had the transmission out of the car 3 times, replaced the bent syncro's, replaced the clutch and slave, and spent some time on the phone with GM. It turned out to be that the flywheel was 10 thousandths of an inch too deep. This caused the internals of the transmission to rotate when the clutch was depressed.

Try to shift into reverse before starting the engine. If that works shift back to 1st, start the engine then try reverse again. If it won't go into reverse your flywheel might be a hair off.

Also I noticed that when I was parked on the level and slowly shifted into 1st, without the brakes on, the car moved ever so slightly.

Once they replaced the flywheel I never had another shifting problem.

Hope you get it solved....

EdmundGTP
03-23-11, 01:59 PM
Interesting..

Bueller
02-17-12, 06:25 PM
My car does this but not all the time. I'm in Florida so it's not the temp. Today it wouldn't go into reverse at all or any gear. There was a little bit of feedback coming from the clutch pedal almost like it was grainy. It was ok once I got moving but still didn't want to go into gear. I recently replaced trans fluid with mobile 1 dex3 and did a clutch bleed. This was 2 weeks ago and it was doing this before and appeared fixed. It hasn't done it since until today? 56K Miles original clutch.

Thanks in advance.

darkman
02-17-12, 06:38 PM
The inability to engage any gear is usually caused by clutch drag, which bleeding the hydraulics often remedies. Here is the checklist in the Service Manual for clutch drag:
1. Pedal blocked from full travel.
2. Too much travel between pedal and clutch master cylinder or worn pedalbushings.
3. Clutch pedal mounting loose.
4. Linkage at pedal worn or damaged.
5. Clutch master cylinder is seized or binding.
6. Air in clutch hydraulic system.
7. Clutch actuator (slave) cylinder seized or binding.
8. Clutch master cylinder leaking internally.
9. Damaged clutch assembly components. This includes damaged clutch disc, hub,splines, bent clutch disc, bent drive straps, broken or warped pressure plate.[I did not find any thickness specs for the clutch disc.]
10. Excessive side loading on the release bearing.
11. Faulty pilot bearing.
12. Transmission input shaft splines are worn or damaged.
13. Tight or contaminated clutch disc splines.
14. Flywheel housing, engine block to clutch housing, or transmission frontcase excessively misaligned.
15. Grease or oil contamination on the clutch disc facing.
16. Loose, broken, or faulty motor mounts.

Bueller
02-17-12, 07:29 PM
thanks.

Where can I get a service manual?

darkman
02-17-12, 07:50 PM
Helm Inc. sells them.

Bueller
02-18-12, 04:27 PM
Ouch $135