: Cut rear springs

Somefun
03-18-11, 09:09 PM
Has anyone cut the rear springs in the v? I would like my car level instead of the rear higher that the from and I was thinking of trimming the rear springs like half a coil....Any thoughts?:cookoo:

areuv
03-18-11, 09:32 PM
Has anyone cut the rear springs in the v? I would like my car level instead of the rear higher that the from and I was thinking of trimming the rear springs like half a coil....Any thoughts?:cookoo:

I say go for it, I have done it on many of my previous cars, on the v i just put the D3's in, one suggestion though start with a quarter link and go from there, you can always cut them again but if you cut to much off to start you're kinda screwed, also remember that it takes a little time/driving for them to settle in place and to their actual ride height, good luck

Somefun
03-18-11, 09:51 PM
What do you mean quarter link? Cut a quarter off the first coil?

areuv
03-18-11, 10:44 PM

Instead of starting out by cutting half a coil as you mentioned above cut a quarter of the link, reinstall, see if you like the ride height and if you want it to drop down some more take the spring back out and cut another quarter off, that way you can get it to the ride height you want, I once cut off a full link from a car and it sat to low after, so now I cut a quarter at a time till i get the desired height, it's a little more time consuming but this way you won't cut off to much and have the car sit lower than you wanted

baabootoo
03-19-11, 12:11 AM
I just did it this weekend and love it! I started with a full bottom coil, but after installing my trailer hitch, full-sized spare, and a solid anti-sway bar weight, it was a tad too low. I wanted the top of the tire even with the fender lip. I did take a highway trip home for a couple hundered miles w/o issue though. I ended up doing a half bottom coil on each side, until I get my summer tires on, and all the weight inside. It only takes 30? minutes too. You jack up the car, pull the wheel, pull the bottom shock bolt, push down, and pry out from the top. Once cut, you don't even have to pry much any more either. Make sure to use a high-speed cutting wheel, with a thin wheel so as not to overheat the springs at all.

PhxTriode
03-19-11, 12:31 AM
I just did it this weekend and love it! I started with a full bottom coil, but after installing my trailer hitch, full-sized spare, and a solid anti-sway bar weight, it was a tad too low. I wanted the top of the tire even with the fender lip. I did take a highway trip home for a couple hundered miles w/o issue though. I ended up doing a half bottom coil on each side, until I get my summer tires on, and all the weight inside. It only takes 30? minutes too. You jack up the car, pull the wheel, pull the bottom shock bolt, push down, and pry out from the top. Once cut, you don't even have to pry much any more either. Make sure to use a high-speed cutting wheel, with a thin wheel so as not to overheat the springs at all.

I have to admit when I first started reading this I thought you were joking. But glad to see it worked for you

baabootoo
03-19-11, 01:11 AM
I've done this on a few cars, with great results.

DrumStix
03-19-11, 07:09 AM
You may still want to change the height rods.

Somefun
03-19-11, 10:39 AM
I just want to drop it about 3/4" in the rear. I like the front hight but the back is higher and it drives me nuts.

baabootoo
03-19-11, 01:08 PM
Yeah, that's what got me also. Since it's so easy to do, start at 1/4 lower coil cut off and drive it for a while.

wfo
03-19-11, 01:14 PM
You may still want to change the height rods.

Good advice...most definetely.

baabootoo
03-19-11, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah, I also had some adjustable ride height rods ready, but never noticed a thing. I just left the stock ones on.

chopmeat
03-19-11, 02:43 PM
If you cut too much, they don't go in right, because that little end of the spring is curled up to fit tight on it's spot.
Also, if you try to cut them "even" when you turn them to get them back in snug, then you measure each side of the car from ground to fender they may be way off.
I did it may times and I wouldn't do it again.
I have the D3 springs and it's looks awesome.

thebigjimsho
03-19-11, 04:08 PM
Don't cut. Adjust the top mount.

Somefun
03-19-11, 04:35 PM
Well I cut a 1/4 coil off. It lowered the car about a 1/4". I'm going to drive it for a week the relook at it. I can notice the diff just looking at it. I really like it so far. Drove it and all is fine. If it comes down another 1/4" would be great....

Caddy Wagon
03-19-11, 10:49 PM
Great to hear. Let's see some pics.

Somefun
03-22-11, 06:32 PM
I cut my rear springs over the weekend and at first I cut a 1/4 off the bottom coil then drove it and went back and did another 1/4" for a total of a half coil. It looks good but I think I would should have done a little less than a half coil. But now at speed I think she feels different maybe not as planted? I'm thinking I may have taken out some spring rate because of cutting out the half a coil. It could be in my head but I don't think so. I'm thinking of going Ebac's or the three-D but I have the sedan and not sure how much the 3D's lower it. I will say I lowered the rear about 1/2" to 3/4" and that's huge and inch is big anymore than that and I'm not interested.

PhxTriode
03-22-11, 06:42 PM
I cut my rear springs over the weekend and at first I cut a 1/4 off the bottom coil then drove it and went back and did another 1/4" for a total of a half coil. It looks good but I think I would should have done a little less than a half coil. But now at speed I think she feels different maybe not as planted? I'm thinking I may have taken out some spring rate because of cutting out the half a coil. It could be in my head but I don't think so. I'm thinking of going Ebac's or the three-D but I have the sedan and not sure how much the 3D's lower it. I will say I lowered the rear about 1/2" to 3/4" and that's huge and inch is big anymore than that and I'm not interested.

Just put the D3 comp springs on. Comps are .75 front and 1" rear 50% stiffer at full compression. Car was getting the tierod recall done so I said F'it. I am waiting to pick it up.

The sports springs are .75" fron and 1.25" rear 30% stiffer at full compression.

Somefun
03-22-11, 06:57 PM
any one hae pics f te two diff set ups? I think the sport would be my choice but I don't want the rear lower than the front...is that the case?

baabootoo
03-23-11, 12:14 AM
Are the comp springs progressive rate as well? What about the Eibach ones? You know, they have real close coils on top and wides spaced ones below.

Somefun
03-23-11, 06:30 AM
Are the comp springs progressive rate as well? What about the Eibach ones? You know, they have real close coils on top and wides spaced ones below.

I looked on the 3D site and it says they are....I'm thinking I'm going that route also. I don't want it too stiff but the sport drop is too much for me.

Cub Cadet
03-23-11, 03:22 PM
Don't cut. Adjust the top mount.

Do you have instructions for this? I want to lower just the back a bit and really do not want to cut the coil. I would rather do what you are saying.

Somefun
03-23-11, 07:53 PM
Well I'm pretty sure I changed to spring rates by cutting them so DON'T do it. If your they type of guy that has to have things right at any cost cutting them is not the way to go. I just ordered a set of 3D competition springs from Cliff Paschal "Paschal Performance". I have to tell you this guy is great...Doing business with him is like doing business the old way...Treats you with respect and his service is top notch for sure. I highly recommend them....

PhxTriode
03-23-11, 08:10 PM
Comp springs

They are stiffer for sure, but lane changes and braking (car stays flat and doesn't plow) are much improved

Somefun
03-23-11, 08:16 PM
Nice shots te car looks great man!!

baabootoo
03-24-11, 12:15 AM
You didn't change the spring rate, you only changed the preload. The spring rate is built into it when made. It reduces the initial load needed to make them move. In other words, wjere it might have taken 1000# to make them move, and now it only takes 700#. If you didn't change the ride height rods, those would have moved and sensed a lot heavier load too. It sensed a load that would have made them move 1" of travel. I like mine just fine and have no problems with them either.

thebigjimsho
03-24-11, 08:32 AM
Do you have instructions for this? I want to lower just the back a bit and really do not want to cut the coil. I would rather do what you are saying.
It's a very popular mod for the V1 guys who wanted to go lower than the crop of aftermarket springs allowed. Go to those forums and search for the MIGHTYMOUSE mod. I'm not sure about the differences in the top mount between V1 and V2, but it's pretty simple and is reversible. Unlike the caveman way of cutting springs...

thebigjimsho
03-24-11, 08:35 AM
Here is the thread...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-appearance/162651-my-nivomat-lowering-solution.html

thebigjimsho
03-24-11, 09:19 AM
Here is the thread...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-appearance/162651-my-nivomat-lowering-solution.html
And this is what I want to see about doing for the fronts...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/44315-lowerd-v-today.html

Thus, with adjusting the top mount for the rears and using a lathe to lower the snap ring location, we may be able to lower the V on stock springs without needing to cut the springs and keep the suspension stock. And reversible. The only question would be the height rods...