: Is the 2011 Smart Key the Same as 2010 or 2009??

Nukeldo
03-18-11, 06:24 PM
Long story short ... lost the transponder part of one of my smartkeys for my 2011 SRX Luxury ... still have the emergency key.

I have found "2011" replacements for $160 ... and 2009 and 2010s for much cheaper.

My question: Are all of the 5-button smartkeys the same? If not, is there a specific pat number I should be looking for? I have found the programming instructions so I just need to get the best price on the smartkey. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

By the way ... after 4 months at 3000 miles ... no problems to report on the vehicle ... and I love it!!

popspj
03-18-11, 06:41 PM
The transmitter p/n is 20984227 List is $168.42 at dealer and he sold it to me for 106. But I used to work there.
Took about 2 days to get it. DO you know how to program it cause the dealer will charge you $45.
Somehow you have to take the tray out of the console where the reader for programing is located. Let me know if you figure it out.

sube5186
03-18-11, 10:15 PM
Here it is for $69.99. This is brand new, from an eBay "store", not a private individual. Why pay the ridiculously overinflated dealer price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-2009-2010-08-09-CADILLAC-SRX-SMART-KEY-REMOTE-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483f98a0c1QQitemZ31030 4612545QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Sube

Nukeldo
03-21-11, 07:41 PM
Okay ... sorry. I'm still kind of confused. Will any transmitter that says "for 2008, 2009 or 2010 SRX with remote start" work with my 2011 Luxury SRX?

Also, I read about Fob 1 and Fob 2, like there are 2 different Fobs with separate p/n's? Is this true and if so, how can I tell which one I need to order, Fob 1 or Fob 2?

Thanks!

sube5186
03-21-11, 09:37 PM
Okay ... sorry. I'm still kind of confused. Will any transmitter that says "for 2008, 2009 or 2010 SRX with remote start" work with my 2011 Luxury SRX?

Also, I read about Fob 1 and Fob 2, like there are 2 different Fobs with separate p/n's? Is this true and if so, how can I tell which one I need to order, Fob 1 or Fob 2?

Thanks!

The remotes for the 2010 and 2011 models are identical. I can't speak on earlier model years, as they would be first gen SRXs.

The remotes are the same. They are only distinguished by which remote is tied to which seat, mirror and pedal memory settings.

"When the remote recall feature is
on, the seat, mirror and pedal
position, if available, will be stored
when the ignition is turned to OFF.
It is stored according to the RKE
transmitter used to start the vehicle."

Sube

Nukeldo
03-22-11, 06:26 AM
Thanks Sube ... that helps! I wonder how the vehicle knows which remote is which? Oh well, I have seen several 2010 transmitters that are much cheaper than the dealer ... will give it a shot.

cz9h3d
03-22-11, 08:59 AM
You say you still have the emergency key - the transponder portion didn't just fall off the key portion, did it? If so, I would definitely see about getting it replaced by your dealer via warranty. Some of the SRX keys seem to have lower retention - good for them to know about issues, and good for you to not spend your own money if you don't have to.

Smokin' SRX
03-22-11, 10:30 AM
'09 was a diff key fob remote. (had the #1 & 2 designation marked on them) My remote fell off also! Almost stranded me with the little steel key only. Won't start it with that little sucker! BEWARE.

See my thread for saga if interested.......

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/208208-lost-remote-nightmare.html

SS

sube5186
03-22-11, 03:13 PM
I wonder how the vehicle knows which remote is which?

Whichever remote is used to start the car is associated with the vehicle until you turn the car off and walk away. Come back and unlock the car with a different remote and now that remote is connected to the car.

Looks like more than a few folks could use the remote covers below, so I thought I'd post the link again.

http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...Keyless/Detail

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/196059-silicone-remote-covers.html

Sube

Smokin' SRX
03-22-11, 07:19 PM
I wound up taking my covers off, after Steve talked me into getting them. They covered the beautiful Caddy Shield and I like it so much. BUT he was right, they held the Remote to the keyring with a death-grip!

I then hid a spare key and fob in the car, (had to be programmed..........bought on ebay, cheap!)

Now Onstar can get me in, and my spare fob will start me up afterwards. (hide w/ battery removed to prevent warning beeps when leaving car)

I'm a security freak.... :-)

SS

Nukeldo
03-23-11, 05:00 AM
Excellent info .... thanks to all. I'll give the dealer a chance first to make it right ... poor retention between the transmitter and the emergency key. I also think I'll get one of the fob covers ... even though it'll cover up the cool caddy cover. And ... I also like the idea of hiding a transmitter without the key in the vehicle (with the battery removed, of course). That should permanently take care of any more lockout issues! Thanks to all!

Nukeldo
03-30-11, 07:55 PM
Finally got my new transmitter working ....

Nukeldo
03-30-11, 07:55 PM
Just to follow up...bought a new transmitter from http://www.autotransponder.com. It arrived very quickly ... cost $140. Programmed with instructions found from http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/DisplayAd.asp?id=1960. Worked perfectly .... just don't freak out after the initial programming ... unlocked and locked fine but car wouldn't start .... let it sit for 5 minutes and went back with the remote and the car started fine (didn't have the original remote with me at that time ... not sure if that had anything to do with it). Now ... to decide whether or not to get a spare to leave in the car for emergencies ... with the battery removed of course ... and whether or not to get a fob cover so it doesn't come apart again. Thanks for everyone's help!

CaddySpec25
04-02-11, 11:28 PM
I have a BRAND NEW SRX keyfob I would be willing to let go for $50 shipped.

Anyone interested, e-mail me at XLM297@Aol.com

letmecheck
04-13-12, 11:29 PM
I don't mean to resurrect a year old thread, but I am unable to program my extra transmitter using the instructions.

I too lost the remote due to an engineering failure (yeah it is stupid, all I can do is get in the car with that key - it would have been better if they provided an under-dash ignition switch for that key as well to drive) and my dealer pretty much told me I was SOL and they would replace it for $300. My wife and I even told him this was something so ridiculous and if he couldn't help me perhaps the dealer next door would (it's a Mercedes dealer). He didn't give a crap. And I am serious. F you Cadillac is all I am coming away with from this experience.....but anyways....

I bought two on eBay and I cannot get them programmed. I have tried everything short of ripping out the plastics to try and find an additional 'hidden' pocket for the transmitter since I can see the indentation for one.

Basically what happens is it says "Ready to Learn 3" and then goes dark after about 15 seconds. I've waited there for up to a minute with no messages. I eventually have to press the engine start/stop button for 10 seconds to exit the programming mode. I have tried flipping the smart (dumb) key upside down and all around, pressing the engine start/stop, pressing all the buttons on the fob, putting the emergency key inside the fob, replacing the battery........nothing.

Does it make a difference that I have the 'high security' key with the special groove cut down the center instead of the gold key that looks like a normal key, or should this work or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

sube5186
04-14-12, 12:08 AM
Please clarify. You have "two" new remotes? So you don't have any of the original remotes? The procedure to program remotes is different if there are no existing remotes. It's outlined on page 2-8 of your manual. Did you follow the instructions on that page?

Sube

allgm
04-14-12, 08:21 AM
Think they are different. I bought a fob on E Bay for my 2010 SRX. could not get it to work. Went to dealer $35.00 fee to reprogram. They could not get it to reprogram. Do not understand why dealer would not program it for you for a fee. Try a different dealer. I do no that there are two key designs. I bought a blank one on E Bay and had dealer cut it. Have it hid under car on frame in case I lock fob in car again.

letmecheck
04-15-12, 09:55 PM
I have one original working remote and one 'emergency key' only that has lost its partner. I can start and drive the car just fine with the original remote.
I did follow the instructions in the user manual, to add a second remote (actually was on 2-6).
I first bought one off eBay that actually had a laser-etched '2' on the bottom and a gold key insert that the seller SAID was for a 2011 SRX but that seems to be much different. It did not program, that was my first replacement remote.
I then found one that was identical to mine, has the silver squared off emergency key with the laser groove in it and when you open the unit, has the identical markings on the inside except for the date of manufacture. This one I also cannot get to program. I have done the following steps:

1.) Throw the good remote that works into the cupholder. I've even raised the little panel inside and placed the remote flush on the bottom of it.
2.) Put the original emergency key that was with the original remote in the door lock and unlocked it 5 times until the dash reads 'Ready for Remote 3'
3.) Placed the purchased fob buttons down inside the little transmitter pocket inside the center armrest floor.
3.) Pressed the ENGINE START/STOP button.

...nothing happens...

The display goes out after about 15 seconds or so, so there is no feedback but I know it is not learned. The car is still in program mode because grabbing the good remote and pressing buttons does nothing. I have to hold down the ENGINE START/STOP button to exit programming mode, and then my old remote works just fine again and I am back to where I was before I started the process. I can start back with step #1 and there are no changes.

I have replaced the battery in the purchased remote with a brand new CR2032. Could it be that the emergency key somehow tells the car that it is a different remote? Do I need a new emergency silly key cut that tells the car that it is #3?

the display

letmecheck
05-01-12, 10:48 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on this or am I stuck going to the dealer?

TheCaptain
05-01-12, 11:05 PM
You should put it in the key slot in the centre console. Not the cupholder. I bet it can't see the key. This is where my manual says to put keys you are programming.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/SRXKeyFobDead.png

letmecheck
05-02-12, 09:43 PM
That is where I placed the 'new' remote (one to be programmed). I put the one working remote in the cupholder. Should I swap the two?

Kmohler
05-05-12, 02:44 PM
I would sure like to see this thread completed because I have the same problem. Existing fobs in cupholder. Turn key in door 5 times. DIC says ready to program #3. Put new fob in recess in storage bin. Press start/stop button. Display goes blank. Wait. Finally, press stop/start button for 10 seconds to exit programming mode. Now there is no way to start the engine. Begin panic mode. Doors lock and unlock with original fobs, but no engine start. Panic mode now includes fret mode. After a few minutes all is forgiven. All old fobs work fine. New fob doesn't. Sure would like an answer.

Ken
2012 SRX Premium

letmecheck
05-17-12, 08:20 AM
Ended up taking my working key and eBay key to the dealer. They called me early AM and said "Where did you get this key? It almost blew out your key control module."

Even though it is the exact same part, even on the inside the chip and silkscreens on the unit were identical to my original remote, they were unable to program it.

So, I'm done farting around with used remotes -- I told the dealer to just get me a new one. $250 total. FOR A KEY. :bighead: