: God Bless America - stud kits to ship from new USA location

97EldoCoupe
03-18-11, 06:32 PM
After a week of nothing but frustrations with UPS Canada (and this has gone on a long time), customers getting billed customs fees and insanely expensive ship costs, I decided to take advice from my Attorney/Engineer (he's a smart man) in New York.

My Manitoba shop is 11 miles from Pembina, North Dakota. Pembina has a place where I can leave packages for UPS and also there is a post office there too.

I'm leaning toward USPS Priority Parcel Mail- I will send a few packages out this way and I will monitor cost and ship times.

I have a new mailing address:

Northstar Performance
P.O. Box 108
Pembina, North Dakota

To be in a business where 90%+ of my business is American, residing in Canada makes things difficult. This new shipping/mailing location is the first step into the USA for Northstar Performance.

I am trying to make everything better and easier for my customers, including speeding up ship times and eliminating surprise customs charges. I will see if I can lower the costs for express/overnight shipping. It's all one step at a time but I am here to serve my customers and I hope the shipping nightmares are done. This means either myself or an employee will be making daily trips across the US border. It's going to be a PITA, but nothing compared to dealing with UPS Canada and having them lose stud kits all the time (and charge me an arm and a leg to do so!).

The website will be updated soon with my new mailing address and I'll try to check my mail every time a shipment is made, or at least every week.

I knew this new location would have its advantages. The proximity to a 24 hour US border crossing is definitely one of them....

97EldoCoupe
03-18-11, 06:37 PM
Oh..... and I guess I'm going to have to start dealing with Chris Heath at Rippy......

Chris if you catch this- can you ship to P.O. Boxes? I just paid $84.00 for a rear main seal about 30 minutes ago here in Altona, so you may be getting orders from me for 50 at a time......

vincentm
03-18-11, 06:42 PM
Sweet

00 Deville
03-18-11, 07:07 PM
Jake, Shipping out of the US is a very smart move... BTW, Chris's signature line says that he will be out of the office until Monday.

ternstes
03-18-11, 07:18 PM
Great news, Jake! I just ordered a stud kit for the 97 sts I am doing on the 16th. Does this change apply to my order? I can be a guinea pig for USPS shipping if needed.

97EldoCoupe
03-18-11, 07:27 PM
Thanks 00 Deville -

And Ternstes - PM me real quick with your order info you are likely to be one of the USPS customers.....

Speedygman
03-18-11, 07:29 PM
GREAT for the NorthStar folks and TERRFIC for NorthStar Performance, this is a very good thing. I just received my notice from UPS for my studs like Jake warned me about. O well life is good. $38.80 Charges from UPS for sending back and forth across the board two times before leaving Detroit/ Go figure.

92Deville
03-18-11, 08:49 PM
If I decide to tackle my HG job, I will definately be placing an order for the studs too. If you are going to go through all the work to do the job, do it once and do it right! Jake, you are the savior of northstars.

maeng9981
03-18-11, 08:52 PM
I am happy to see you make things better for us; I got a bill from UPS right after I removed my engine haha what a surprise.

By the way, thank you Jake for updating your website with instructions.

JoeTahoe
03-19-11, 12:00 AM
you are the man!!!!

ThumperPup
03-19-11, 12:32 AM
This is Great news Jake
Small step for Man Kind Giant step for Northstar Performance
your the man

97EldoCoupe
03-19-11, 12:59 AM
It's those surprise customs charges that I hate too- I can't take the hit for them because it's the US government charging that, and if I do, the profits fall to the point where it's not worth selling the kits-

I believe for now I have the customs charges taken care of again, I know what caused that, the rise of the Canadian dollar sent the kits declared value above the "low value shipment" status......

I have a lot more to discuss but becoming a U.S. citizen and having a shop in both countries is becoming very tempting. I'm not doing that until I'm completely financially stable though. Made it through the roughest waters, I see clear sailing ahead even if the odd heavy wave does hit-. Tomorrow at 7am I have a new employee coming for a 9 hour shift. If he works the way I think he will, I see a lot of work getting done quickly and carefully (as it needs to be). Just the other night I invited him and his wife over for dinner. After dinner, we went out to the shop and built a new table for the stud kit assembly line. I had all the measurements ready and I kid you not, it took us no longer than 20 minutes to have a 4x8 table constructed out of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood. He did all the marking, I did the cutting, He held the legs while I screwed them together. Efficient team work. That's what it's all about! That's what every company needs to get the job done....

Photo of a table constructed in 20 minutes.....

http://www.northstarperformance.com/photos1/photo.jpg

97EldoCoupe
03-19-11, 01:03 AM
http://www.northstarperformance.com/photos1/USPS.jpg

97EldoCoupe
03-19-11, 01:10 AM
For anyone who thinks that I am in the middle of nowhere, while that may be entirely true, here's a photo of downtown Winnipeg (a little bit North of me, the capital of Manitoba):

http://www.northstarperformance.com/photos1/winnipeg.jpg

Took this the other day from the driver's seat of my 2010 Sierra. I was on the way to pick up some parts for the stud kits. Yeah, time to replace that windshield, already.

Speedygman
03-19-11, 03:04 AM
It's those surprise customs charges that I hate too- I can't take the hit for them because it's the US government charging that, and if I do, the profits fall to the point where it's not worth selling the kits-

I believe for now I have the customs charges taken care of again, I know what caused that, the rise of the Canadian dollar sent the kits declared value above the "low value shipment" status......

I have a lot more to discuss but becoming a U.S. citizen and having a shop in both countries is becoming very tempting. I'm not doing that until I'm completely financially stable though. Made it through the roughest waters, I see clear sailing ahead even if the odd heavy wave does hit-. Tomorrow at 7am I have a new employee coming for a 9 hour shift. If he works the way I think he will, I see a lot of work getting done quickly and carefully (as it needs to be). Just the other night I invited him and his wife over for dinner. After dinner, we went out to the shop and built a new table for the stud kit assembly line. I had all the measurements ready and I kid you not, it took us no longer than 20 minutes to have a 4x8 table constructed out of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood. He did all the marking, I did the cutting, He held the legs while I screwed them together. Efficient team work. That's what it's all about! That's what every company needs to get the job done....

Photo of a table constructed in 20 minutes.....

http://www.northstarperformance.com/photos1/photo.jpg
Now you need to start making tables and start selling them? HA HA

JoeTahoe
03-19-11, 12:03 PM
been to both winnipeg and pembina winnipeg is a pretty good size city, pembina on the other hand is very small. Its been 11yrs since so pembina might have changed. Picked up a MCI coach at the Pembina factory and got a factory tour at Winnipeg. They start the coach in Winnipeg and finish it in Pembina for the Buy America label.

Submariner409
03-19-11, 01:22 PM
:sneaky: ...........I hope that table itself is studded - wouldn't want any premature fastener failures...............:hide:

ThumperPup
03-19-11, 01:58 PM
Now you need to start making tables and start selling them? HA HA

he can put me in line for a table also i need to find a good size one for my train set i want lol

97EldoCoupe
03-20-11, 01:02 AM
Not enough money in building tables for me to consider a career change Grady, lol :D

Sub- 3.5" deck screws. Forget nails, I don't want these coming apart any time soon or wobbly legs. I'll probably add a shelf in the bottom as well that will even add more strength and storage space. Studs? :D :thumbsup: a studded table... hmmmm......

Thumper- you're into model train sets? Build me one that goes around in my shop delivering parts to various locations.... a CNC controlled train / parts delivery system... post some pics of your train sets in the lounge someday and send me a PM with the link-

ThumperPup
03-20-11, 01:24 AM
Thumper- you're into model train sets? Build me one that goes around in my shop delivering parts to various locations.... a CNC controlled train / parts delivery system... post some pics of your train sets in the lounge someday and send me a PM with the link-

I don't Have a train set now they where one of the things that got left in a fire accident at least thats what my brother said

but i want a new train set probably going to get one in the near future sometime
i love model train sets R/C cars and Boats are awesome i been fascinated with them since i was young
im going to start to build a new train set this summer i think after the caddy gets all the last options to it and all that i want doen

then i can put some serious money into my set
i love old lionel i had G-Scale full 21 car train set i loved that think
but gone now but i want another one

ha you want to be like Arthur in the movie Arthur where he was filthy rich and his train brought everything to him lol

dkozloski
03-20-11, 01:51 AM
Jake, check with an outfit in Winnipeg named Aerotech Herman-Nelson International. They sell parts and service for aircraft utility heaters to customers in the U S and do their shipping through Pembina. I'm betting they could give some good tips on shipping to the U S to a fellow Canuck. Their Phone number is (204) 633-1999. I'm sure that they have some customs tricks up their sleeve because a lot of the stuff they sell is parts that originated in the states.

CADILLACSAM
03-20-11, 02:45 AM
I rememba my lionel train sets, Man those were the days. My pops would take me to this place called train world & i would go crazy!

ThumperPup
03-20-11, 10:57 AM
Every time we would go to NY to visit Family we stayed at the Ritz Central park or the Marriott Grand Marque
I would wake up each morning for the usualy 3 day stay and be like come on lets go to FAO Schwarz i knew it as the toy store but thats what i learned it to be as i was getting older
OMG when i walked in there so many levels
i would have a new Car / caboos/ or track to add to my Trains
something but dad couldnt get out of there without something
and OMG i wanted the Piano floor from the movie BIg so bad lol but that was not going to happen lol

00 Deville
03-21-11, 01:25 PM
Jake, I just ordered a stud kit for my 2000 N* a couple of minutes ago if you need any more guinea pigs for the new shipping method.

97EldoCoupe
03-22-11, 12:49 AM
Thank you DKoz for the tip I will do that tomorrow- good advice! :thumbsup:

I shipped out 10 kits this afternoon from Grand Forks, ND via UPS. Overnight shipping from there is $117 as opposed to $180. That's an improvement. Ran too late to make it work from the post office. It's an hour to Grand Forks, not bad, and fuel in the USA believe it or not is cheap compared to here in Canada. And I stopped at Acme Tools while I was there and had a look around they had the drill bits I needed to complete one of my new tools for the stud kit manufacturing line.

I am so glad to have access to my lathe once again. That machine is like third hand sometimes- so handy and so nice to have when you need it. I'm spending some time building that new manufacturing line but at the same time, a bit of time spent now in preparing for mass production, will be time saved in a few days so I can get more work done on the cars. I'm training my new employee as well and he's doing great. This guy knows how to work and pay attention to detail (and not waste time). Anything that improves accuracy, quality, and production speed all at the same time, is well worth the means and effort.

Below is an arbor I made about an hour ago for manufacturing parts of the stud kits. This will keep the lathe chuck from wearing out and allow repeat production of parts with more accuracy and exact length within .001 every time.

http://www.northstarperformance.com/photos1/mw1.JPG

00Deville - I believe yours will go out USPS tomorrow- I have to go over my shipping list and see how many I can get out tomorrow, I want to stay on top of things and with all of this new tooling and production line, it should all help. Finally- getting settled into this new shop. 48x84 feet of floor space sure is nice to have again. It's still only around 40 degrees fahrenheit and the shop is unheated but I can live with this until the end of summer/fall. Then comes the spray foam insulation and heating system.....

97EldoCoupe
03-22-11, 12:53 AM
Mind you it gets very hot in southern Manitoba in the summer. 90 degrees is not uncommon. The dreams of A/C in the shop aren't going to happen either, oh well.... I'll try to save some of this snow for later :)

Submariner409
03-22-11, 03:42 PM
Jake - shop heating - look into a hot air furnace which burns used engine and transmission oil.

The boat shop that does some of my wood work uses one and it's warm and economical.

dkozloski
03-22-11, 04:11 PM
Having a waste oil burner is just like having another part time job. It's like wiping your rear end with a hoop; there's no end to it. After running some oil through it you have to clean the ashes out of it but the stuff is contaminated with heavy metals so not only will it kill you, you'll have your local environmental guys all over your ass. Then tthe damn thing will have plugged filters. Then there's a slug of water. Then you can't keep it ignited. If you want heat the worst way just get a waste oil burner and that's just what you'll have; heat the worst way.
Been there. Done that.

JoeTahoe
03-22-11, 05:28 PM
We have a Black Gold waste oil furnace at work 200,000btu I beleive Energy Logic makes it now. We installed it on 10/98 it has 7,500hrs on it now. We use around 800 galons of oil a year. I can tell you this unit has been perfect since day one. We clean the ash out of it every preseason. The nozzle and oil filter have only been changed once since new.

97EldoCoupe
03-22-11, 05:40 PM
I've considered that option for heat, and if I could produce enough from my own shop I think I would look into it some more- but I get so busy with everything I just want a thermostat on the wall and a bill in the mail. (Well I'd love to skip the bill but that comes with life)-

It would be nice to put some of this waste oil to use though. If the systems worked that good as JoeTahoe mentions I'd start adding oil changes to my list of shop services just so I could feed the damn thing in the winter-

I just found a crack in a customer's engine block. There goes my evening.....

RippyPartsDept
03-22-11, 05:52 PM
our shop is heated by waste oil... we get the heaters serviced (maybe) once a year... rarely touch them besides that...

dkozloski
03-22-11, 06:08 PM
It makes a hell of a difference where your waste oil is coming from. If you're lucky enough to be getting transmission and hydraulic oil changes it works okay. We were burning the results of recip aircraft oil changes that contained lead from aviation gasoline and a lot of other combustion products as well as diesel truck drainings. Every 500 gallons burnt the thing had to be torn down and the ash cleaned out using certified vacuums. The tank would have enough solids in the bottom that somebody would have to bail it out and clean the filters. It would seldom empty the 500 gallon supply tank without trouble of some kind. It was unreliable enough that we considered it more valuable as a way to get rid of used oil rather than a heating device to be depended upon and it makes a hell of a mess. The main source of heat was two boilers that burned about 30 gallons of heating oil per hour. The waste oil heater was barely noticeable in the big scheme of things.

The guy that sold the thing to the company said that the secret was to run all the waste oil through some kind of centrifugal separator/filter. By the time we figured in the cost of that operation it was cheaper to haul the oil to the local waste disposal site and pay them to get rid of it.

Everybody I talked to in the local area that was using one to get rid of their own waste oil had a similar story to tell. No one brand seemed to be better than another as they were all basically the same thing. They'e a gun fired furnace using an oil burner with a preheating system and a heated nozzle that also used compressed air injection to promote atomization.

Submariner409
03-22-11, 07:50 PM
Dave, the waste oil furnace down at Thompson's boat yard is the cat's meow. Yes, he does clean the firebox and change the nozzle and filter annually. BUT he burns exclusively the gamut of multigrade engine oils mixed with a generous helping of ATF like DEXRON-III. He has a 500 gallon outdoor tank with a heater coil on the supply line and has actually lowered his annual heating bills by over 70% - we dump our oils there, and for him it's a hell of a sight cheaper than paying for propane.

dkozloski
03-22-11, 08:22 PM
Dave, the waste oil furnace down at Thompson's boat yard is the cat's meow. Yes, he does clean the firebox and change the nozzle and filter annually. BUT he burns exclusively the gamut of multigrade engine oils mixed with a generous helping of ATF like DEXRON-III. He has a 500 gallon outdoor tank with a heater coil on the supply line and has actually lowered his annual heating bills by over 70% - we dump our oils there, and for him it's a hell of a sight cheaper than paying for propane.

We had a 500 gallon open topped square tank that was more or less a day/week tank and truck loads of mystery barrels that appeared from time to tims as well as a 1000 gallon tank on a trailer that we made rounds with to collect used oil from various shops and maintenance facilities. It was very easy for one employee to waste days fooling around with the operation and he was usually mad about being stuck with the dirty job. I suppose having carefully controlled conditions would be one thing but in our universe it was almost more trouble than it was worth.

There's a world of difference betwen burning a few gallons of oil a day to take the chill off a moderate sized shop in the mid-Atlantic states and trying to heat a 40,000 sq.ft. aircraft hanger in -50F weather. The waste oil burner ran 24/7 as long as there was some waste oil around to feed it and took a week to burn 500 gallons of oil. It didn't even have a thermostat on it; just an on off switch. Meanwhile we were going through thousands of gallons of heating oil as well with the big boilers.

97EldoCoupe
03-22-11, 10:04 PM
Well Sub, Joe, if the furnaces work pretty good then I think I may invest in one for winter. A combination between that and solar heating (I'm in the sunniest place in Canada believe it or not) should reduce heating bills quite a bit. There are a LOT of farmers around here and I'll bet that I could get the waste oil cheap or free. Talk about nice neighbors too, a half mile away I have a neighbor that lent me a tractor with a PTO driven snowblower for the whole winter. No charge.

When I got back here in MB approx 2 wks ago this was the winter surprise I got: (link contains photos of insane amounts of snow)

http://www.northstarperformance.com/snow

Oddly enough there wasn't that much snow around here but there's trees all around my yard. All the high winds blew the snow in, and the snow got stuck here. Lets just say that's about a 7 foot tall snow drift in front of the shop. That antenna on my roof is the wireless high speed internet connection. I sure love the peace and quiet, and freedom. I can work 24/7 and nobody will complain about the noise of high speed air tools or impacts- 10 minutes to Altona, 10 minutes to Pembina ND, an hour to Grand Forks or Winnipeg. I sure live close to work though- too close almost :P

Next winter if I leave here for whatever reason, I'm going to make sure someone will be keeping my driveway clear.

dkozloski
03-22-11, 10:39 PM
Whatever kind of waste oil heater you get, make sure you don't have to be standing on a ladder to service it. The one thing you won't need is to be freezing your ass off and getting owl's feet on a ladder rung at the same time.

Speedygman
03-22-11, 11:25 PM
Oddly enough there wasn't that much snow around here but there's trees all around my yard. All the high winds blew the snow in, and the snow got stuck here. Lets just say that's about a 7 foot tall snow drift in front of the shop. That antenna on my roof is the wireless high speed internet connection. I sure love the peace and quiet, and freedom. I can work 24/7 and nobody will complain about the noise of high speed air tools or impacts- 10 minutes to Altona, 10 minutes to Pembina ND, an hour to Grand Forks or Winnipeg. I sure live close to work though- too close almost :P

Next winter if I leave here for whatever reason, I'm going to make sure someone will be keeping my driveway clear.

Jake you can always come to Georgia in the winter and Canada the rest of the time.

JoeTahoe
03-23-11, 12:36 AM
I know the old Clean Burn units were alot of work to keep running. We asked around and the Black Gold was highly recomended. We get oil from everybody. We burn Syn. ATF, used 15w40, pag oil, hyd oil, gear oil, 10w,30w,40w. We are a motor coach fleet shop. When we get drop offs we always check for water or antifreeze. http://www.energylogic.com/products/waste-oil-heaters/systems/200000-btu-waste-oil-furnace

97EldoCoupe
03-23-11, 01:29 AM
http://www.energylogic.com/products/waste-oil-heaters/features

I plan on having my shop here spray foamed - the best possible insulation, ever. I think I could get away on sunny days almost completely with solar panels, at night and cloudy days running solely off of waste oil. My home is heated with an electric forced air furnace (costly, sort of, but nothing is as efficient as electric heat- no waste or exhaust) and I don't plan on changing that. As long as electricity stays around 6.5 cents/kWh, I'll be happy - but I don't plan on heating a 4,032 sq. ft. shop with electricity.

Submariner409
03-23-11, 10:46 AM
6.5 cents/kWh !!!!! Whoa !!!!! This winter it's been running 15.4 here - that's total bill - taxes and all - divided by kWh.

dkozloski
03-23-11, 11:24 AM
Make sure they spray a fire proofing coating and a vapor barrier coating over spray foam insulation in a shop. The fire hazard is extreme with urethane foam and the vapor barrier will keep it from raining inside the building in the spring as the frost that has accumulated over the winter in the insulation melts.

97EldoCoupe
03-23-11, 11:34 AM
Thanks Dkoz - I didn't know such a thing existed. I have planned for sheet steel siding on the inside at least 10 feet up, if I can afford it, the whole shop inside will be steel- so would i still need a fire proof coating?
You're the expert when it comes to the cold living in AK so I'll take your advice on the vapor barrier.

Sub, yeah - Manitoba has cheap electric rates. The electric company is owned by the province/government- unlike Ontario where my old shop was hitting 13-14 cents / kWh..... no better place to set up a machine shop than here, for that reason....

I still have planned for a huge wind turbine someday on the back corner.....

dkozloski
03-23-11, 03:57 PM
There were a couple of local shops in steel buildings that were insulated with spray foam. One caught fire and a couple of guys were trapped in it and burned up because it burned like gasoline. The fire code was changed to require fireproof coating on everything including the ceiling.

The local newspaper was in a building with a steel roof sprayed inside with urethane with a fire coating but no vapor barrier. All winter the foam would absorb moisture and it would freeze right at the frost line. Come spring it all melted and it rained for about a week until it all melted. A vapor proof coating was sprayed over it and cured the problem.

Urethane foam is open cell foam and it breathes.

ewb4arch
03-24-11, 06:16 PM
Urethane foam is open cell foam and it breathes.

There's a closed cell version as well. The closed cell version acts as a vapor barrier.

I can't put my hands on the exact company/specifications right now, but could find it later if you're interested.

RippyPartsDept
03-24-11, 06:49 PM
http://coldclimatehome.com/

A relative of mine runs that site.

It's pretty amateur right now (the site, that is, not their work) ... they just recently got the site up off the ground - and their expertise isn't websites - they were focused on their first Deep Energy Retrofit last year

check it out if your interested in the concepts of conservation and efficiency

miwise
03-29-11, 09:06 AM
Now if u could just get a shop in the us. Pref Midwest. :)

97EldoCoupe
03-29-11, 07:10 PM
There's a lot of plans in the works right now for the USA. This is going to take a lot of hard work and careful planning. The stud kit sales are funding the future plans for a USA shop, and so is the Canadian repair operations. All sales are helping these plans/dreams come true.

Of course I'm doing this for profit but also to help Caddy owners get their cars fixed right, the first time around. I see too many Caddys get ruined and wrecked b/c of simple repairs gone wrong. I think there is a good solution for this.