: Best options for cross drilled/slotted V Rotors???

INSANE V
03-18-11, 09:34 AM
Looking around online I havent found many options for cross drilled/slotted brake rotors for the 09+ V. Typically you will find hundreds of options on Ebay but I only noticed one company selling them for the rear only. Was hoping to buy a set for all 4 corners with pads for a reasonable price...maybe a grand or less?

wfo
03-18-11, 04:46 PM
Me too...I'm listening.

DoingOK
03-18-11, 04:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Pics%202/THISGONBGUD.gif

jzchen
03-19-11, 10:45 AM
D3/ALCON makes a set. Gotta add an extra 0 to the end of your budget ("a grand") though... But maybe they're on sale...

JFJr
03-19-11, 11:07 AM
The reason why the V2 didn't come with cross-drilled or slotted rotors is excessive pad wear.

NROTIK
03-19-11, 11:10 AM
Good luck. no options yet. Have no idea why brembo doesn't make a matching rear set to the fronts they are currently offering!!!

jzchen
03-21-11, 02:32 AM
Sorry, didn't read the original post carefully. You just want replacement rotors. I saw rear Powerslot rotors on Tirerack. Wonder why no front?...

Silver -V-
03-21-11, 12:03 PM
Sorry, didn't read the original post carefully. You just want replacement rotors. I saw rear Powerslot rotors on Tirerack. Wonder why no front?...

The rear rotors are also used on other vehicles. The front rotors have been exclusive to the Cadillac V series so far. The rumor is that the new ZL1 Camaro will also get our front rotors. When this happens, we should begin to see more options available from 3rd party manufacturers.

Chris__B
03-21-11, 01:06 PM
So how about some people comment on what they would like to see in upgraded 'V rotors? I'm involved in a project that could benefit from owner input. Thanks!

Chris

jzchen
03-21-11, 03:18 PM
Silver -V- Thanks for clarifying!
Chris- CCM like on a ZR1.

Chris__B
03-21-11, 03:42 PM
Chris- CCM like on a ZR1.
Can do! But it would be a full 3-D weave, not the three laminated sections like on the ZR-1. The solid CCM material is much more user friendly and can be ground if ever oxidized. The ZR-1 discs are throw-aways once oxidation sets in.

That'll be about $17k per car as long as there are enough deposits down to start the run, which is at least 10. Are you #1?

Chris

Silver -V-
03-21-11, 04:59 PM
So how about some people comment on what they would like to see in upgraded 'V rotors? I'm involved in a project that could benefit from owner input. Thanks!

Chris

2 piece rotors with replace-able rings. Preferably with some form of gas venting and costing around $650/set. They will need to keep up with the heat from a tight road course and a heavy car. Am I dreaming?

Chris__B
03-21-11, 10:05 PM
2 piece rotors with replace-able rings. Preferably with some form of gas venting and costing around $650/set. They will need to keep up with the heat from a tight road course and a heavy car. Am I dreaming?
Can they be made? Yes. Can they be made of the appropriate material callout, heat treatment, finishing technique, etc., to live under such a heavy, high-horsepower car for track use? Yes, but probably for about $1100/pr retail. The first pair will cost more due to the aluminum hat (+$450 maybe?), but after that it would be rings only.

Sorry, but that is just the cost of making good, high-quality iron these days. I have extensive experience with a very similar Brembo system (Nissan R35 GT-R) and can say all issues were solved with the appropriate choice in materials. Those guys went from 1-2 track days before cracking the OE discs to 6-12+, depending on the particular track, pad choice and driver. The same can be done for the CTS-V, but not for $650.

Chris

Mystical_Ice
03-21-11, 11:04 PM
Can they be made? Yes. Can they be made of the appropriate material callout, heat treatment, finishing technique, etc., to live under such a heavy, high-horsepower car for track use? Yes, but probably for about $1100/pr retail. The first pair will cost more due to the aluminum hat (+$450 maybe?), but after that it would be rings only.

That doesn't make sense... on my 05 V i had crossdrilled and slotted rotors for several years, and never had a problem with pad wear. Granted i never tracked my car, but i dont' see the 09V being that much different when it comes to pad wear... the GenI V had smaller rotors and was lighter. The new V has larger rotors and is heavier. I wouldn't think it would be too big a difference.

Rotorworks offered EXCELLENT rotors - have been very impressed with them. But of course they don't offer any rotors for the new generation Vs =(

Chris__B
03-22-11, 01:39 AM
That doesn't make sense... on my 05 V i had crossdrilled and slotted rotors for several years, and never had a problem with pad wear. Granted i never tracked my car, but i dont' see the 09V being that much different when it comes to pad wear... the GenI V had smaller rotors and was lighter. The new V has larger rotors and is heavier. I wouldn't think it would be too big a difference.

Rotorworks offered EXCELLENT rotors - have been very impressed with them. But of course they don't offer any rotors for the new generation Vs =(
The current 'V has front rotors that are in a different class than the last 'V -- 2-piece dual-cast versus 1-piece (BIG difference). To make an upgraded rotor withstand the usage that some will put them through takes one of the better racing iron compositions. This was the lesson learned very well on the GT-R, with its nearly identical Brembo system and the same type of soft, high-carbon iron rotors. That type of iron helps with noise reduction, but it makes a poor track part. In my experience, you won't see the lower tech or copy-cat companies tackle applications like this as it requires actual engineering and specific metallurgical experience, or they would risk it becoming a very expensive experiment with unpredictable results.

It's great you've had a good experience with the rotors you mention, but I do know where they get their blanks (regular, low-cost Chinese and Taiwanese stuff) and the machining patterns shown on their web site are far from optimized for pad and rotor life. They are the typical eBay-type seller that has a wholesale brake parts account and a milling machine, but no real engineering.

An upgrade for regular street use can be solved easily by procuring OE blanks and machining them (if done properly!). But the cost of doing that might likely approach a true, dedicated solution. I'll check on that tomorrow, time permitting.

Anyone interested in a matching 2-piece rear rotor upgrade, if possible?

Chris

Mystical_Ice
03-22-11, 02:10 AM
I guess that's the difference - you're talking for high performance, track use. I've never taken my car to the track and don't really ever plan to, so for me, for several years, the 'cheap' drilled/slotted rotors have been great.

Chris__B
03-22-11, 03:37 AM
I guess that's the difference - you're talking for high performance, track use. I've never taken my car to the track and don't really ever plan to, so for me, for several years, the 'cheap' drilled/slotted rotors have been great.
Yes, exactly. On the 1st Gen V, that option was available. I could be wrong, but I don't see that happening any time soon on the 2nd Gen.

Chris

INSANE V
03-22-11, 04:18 AM
If anyone comes across an option to have our stock front rotors drilled/slotted by a private party company I would definately be interested. Since nobody sells them yet it may spark interest in a group buy if offered with decent turn around time...

Silver -V-
03-22-11, 11:17 AM
Chris_B -

Have you had a chance to look at the Brembo Track rotor? It is a 2 piece, but they won't sell rings for replacements. Will yours differ much, and how? I need a set of Rotors for HPDE events soon. I can get by with the current rotors for only a couple more events.

Chris__B
03-22-11, 04:06 PM
Chris_B -

Have you had a chance to look at the Brembo Track rotor? It is a 2 piece, but they won't sell rings for replacements. Will yours differ much, and how? I need a set of Rotors for HPDE events soon. I can get by with the current rotors for only a couple more events.
Yes, I have. They are pretty nice units that come in plain face only, at least at the current time. I'm told the lead time right now is 3-4 months, and list price is $1295/pair for complete assemblies only, just as you say.

I have identified a perfect option to go to, which is a significantly better iron composition, the type that was used in NASCAR until just a few years ago when a newer (and even more expensive) version was released. If we do something, we will attempt to keep it down around that same pricing, but it will be a difficult task with the better iron and either J-Hook or slotted patterns. They would also require a small caliper spacer as they are slightly larger in diameter (380mm vs. 370mm). However, the more demand, the greater leverage with manufacturing.

Chris

dtwalkerfl
03-22-11, 05:53 PM
What is the skinny on these?:
http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/Premium-Dimpled-and-Slotted-Brake-Rotors.php

Chris__B
03-22-11, 07:03 PM
What is the skinny on these?:
http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/Premium-Dimpled-and-Slotted-Brake-Rotors.php
Just cheap Centric (Chinese or Taiwanese) blanks, which are not even available yet. Beyond that, no comment.

Chris