: Wait 4 me half CAI vs. full system

Somefun
03-17-11, 08:57 PM
Guys I have a wait 4 me half cold air intake with the bottom of the air box cut out...I was thinking of buying an (I think it's called Airad) Do you guys think there is much of a gain from what I have? I'm not really seeing it...What do you think?

e6t
03-17-11, 10:05 PM
My car pops wheelies because of my airaid.

aj660
03-17-11, 11:16 PM
Guys I have a wait 4 me half cold air intake with the bottom of the air box cut out...I was thinking of buying an (I think it's called Airad) Do you guys think there is much of a gain from what I have? I'm not really seeing it...What do you think?

If you replace the stock filter with a K&N air filter, then it will be virtually the same; that's the exact set-up I have on my car.

I actually had the Airaid and I pulled it off. I didn't like the s/c whine; however, if you prefer the loud s/c whine, then you might want to go with the full CIA.

PhxTriode
03-17-11, 11:38 PM
How much boost are you running? if you are at 13+ without headers or 11+ with get a full length CAI.

I have owned several (not wait4me) including the brand you mentioned and I picked up power with a full length CAI. New Era which is what I currently have because it is one piece and it works very well, nice and flat MAF curve. I know people have had good results with the Wait4Me as well. One of the fastest on the forum "cbloveday" (I think 730ish at the wheels) runs a wait4me with no issue.

Somefun
03-18-11, 05:38 AM
How much boost are you running? if you are at 13+ without headers or 11+ with get a full length CAI.

I have owned several (not wait4me) including the brand you mentioned and I picked up power with a full length CAI. New Era which is what I currently have because it is one piece and it works very well, nice and flat MAF curve. I know people have had good results with the Wait4Me as well. One of the fastest on the forum "cbloveday" (I think 730ish at the wheels) runs a wait4me with no issue.

I have all your same options but the injectors and I really do needto get a set of them also...I just wasn't sure a full system would be much diff for the money?

DrumStix
03-18-11, 06:25 AM
I finally ordered the New Era and will be doing a comparo between it and the Lingenfelter one w4m sells. I'll let you know.

Somefun
03-18-11, 07:25 AM
Nice where did you buy it? and if you don't mind me asking how much was it?

DrumStix
03-18-11, 08:17 AM
Right from their site. PM me as I don't know if I can post it, but google on that CAI and it will probably come up. It's $379. Very nice looking single piece unit with a huge filter. We shall see how hte MAF reacts and how she flows but the two I've heard of out there are strong.

wait4me
03-18-11, 08:39 AM
Mine is not from lingenfelter. :) I make them here. The second half of the kit can be bought from me for 200 dollars. If you want the full second half. I have them in stock ready to ship. I just made up a ton of mass air meter sections so they will ship instantly.

Domsz06
03-18-11, 08:41 AM

can you send me a pic of what the new era looks like in your car? I have seen it online, but was curious about on the car...

Thanks D!!! ;)

Razorecko
03-18-11, 09:52 AM
I have both and am currently running the W4me cai. They are almost the same except for a few differences I mentioned in another thread such as weight, pcv 'nipple' placement, & finish. I have a long green filter that is about 14in in length and I had it on the new era and it was right behind my open fog light/duct mod and I felt it was going to get blasted with debris. The w4m is a little shorter so with the green filter in place you can just see the bottom of the filter from the fog opening so its not getting pounded by debris. I have it wrapped in an afe water resistant " sock " This for me has proven to be the best combination. And I've tried a few !

Domsz06
03-18-11, 10:05 AM
I have both and am currently running the W4me cai. They are almost the same except for a few differences I mentioned in another thread such as weight, pcv 'nipple' placement, & finish. I have a long green filter that is about 14in in length and I had it on the new era and it was right behind my open fog light/duct mod and I felt it was going to get blasted with debris. The w4m is a little shorter so with the green filter in place you can just see the bottom of the filter from the fog opening so its not getting pounded by debris. I have it wrapped in an afe water resistant " sock " This for me has proven to be the best combination. And I've tried a few !

let me know if you wanna part with the new era one ;)

Gary Wells
03-18-11, 10:41 AM
Some pics sure would be nice if for no other reason just to get my blood going.
So far I have to say (FWIW & IMHO) that I like the looks of jesse's the best other than I think that the piping would look best in satin black. Curtis's looks very nice and pristine the last pic that I saw but I think that he keeps his motor compartment pretty clean. No pics, no soup

musclesbmf
03-18-11, 12:50 PM
I ordered a New Era unit as well at PhxTriode suggestion. I look forward to trying it out as I like the location of the MAF sensor.

Mark

wait4me
03-18-11, 12:56 PM
Remember when you buy the full cold air replacements, you have to get the maf curve put into the software for it to be safe. Even with my full kit. You are greatly changing the flow thru the meter element so it will report different amounts of air.. The better flowing, larger diameter the tubing, the more it would be lean without tuning. Also depends on where the maf is put into the pipe and the clocking.

PhxTriode
03-18-11, 01:10 PM
Remember when you buy the full cold air replacements, you have to get the maf curve put into the software for it to be safe. Even with my full kit. You are greatly changing the flow thru the meter element so it will report different amounts of air.. The better flowing, larger diameter the tubing, the more it would be lean without tuning. Also depends on where the maf is put into the pipe and the clocking.

Very good point Jesse, thanks for bringing it to light. Also if anyone doesn't have the ability to tune their car or have someone close, Jesse has his handheld tunes specific to his unit.

PhxTriode
03-18-11, 01:14 PM
I have all your same options but the injectors and I really do needto get a set of them also...I just wasn't sure a full system would be much diff for the money?

I think it was very worth it, can't go wrong with either one as long as it is tuned as Jesse stated.

PhxTriode
03-18-11, 01:16 PM
can you send me a pic of what the new era looks like in your car? I have seen it online, but was curious about on the car...

Thanks D!!! ;)

give me a few and will post one.

Somefun
03-18-11, 08:49 PM
Does the wait 4me set up have a block off plates to keep the engine compartment heat away from the air cleaner?

PhxTriode
03-18-11, 10:19 PM
no it doesn't but neither does the New Era. Im gonna fix that next weekend though. I huess it is the plus side of trying somemany out Hybid design :-)

PhxTriode
03-18-11, 10:24 PM
Here is a poor photo of the new era

JOEYCTS-V
03-19-11, 12:07 AM
So you guys are saying it's unsafe to run a wait4me CAI without a tune?

PhxTriode
03-19-11, 12:14 AM
It will be lean. The New Era was 15% lean in the curve from stock

Somefun
03-19-11, 10:52 AM
I have the Wait4me half system and the air box bottom cut out and then tuned it so I think I would be fine...

Wannago
03-19-11, 11:05 AM
It will be lean. The New Era was 15% lean in the curve from stock

Hate to sound dumb, but just to be perfectly clear.....ANY CAI (I have an Airaid that I have yet to install), will run your car lean unless the car gets tuned? So instead of a being simple $300 mod which lets the engine breathe better and lets out the S/C whine, a CAI is actually a ~$700 mod?

Nice...I have read lots of threads on here about the different CAIs, and never saw this mentioned before....another dumb question, but doesn't the stock computer adjust for the increased airflow?

Tks

JOEYCTS-V
03-19-11, 11:14 AM
Wannago, I also thought the computer will adjust accordingly since the the only modification is the airbox. I don't know if these cars are different but I know on every car I had only installing a CAI will not harm anything. I'm going to the track tomorrow with a stock V with wait4me full cold air. Should I be worried?!

Wannago
03-19-11, 12:17 PM
Wannago, I also thought the computer will adjust accordingly since the the only modification is the airbox. I don't know if these cars are different but I know on every car I had only installing a CAI will not harm anything. I'm going to the track tomorrow with a stock V with wait4me full cold air. Should I be worried?!

Before I orderd my Airaid, I called my local dealership and spoke with the Service Manager to make sure he wouldn't give me any grief (warranty-wise) if I installed a CAI on my V. He said that "generally", he has no issues with CAIs and has used them himself, but that he has seen some vehicles with a build up of oil on the MAF (generally caused by the owner applying too much oil to the filter) which contributed to other issues, and in these cases, there were warranty issues (I think he talked about this oil build-up causing problems with the tranny's shift points resulting in tranny problems?). I ordered the Airaid specifically because they offer the SynthaMax, non-oil filter, so there would be no way for him to try to cite a build up of oil on my MAF from the filter. Ne never said anything about a CAI causing the engine to run too lean though.

Now I'm confused...I was going to install the CAI today, but now I don't know whether I should or not.

There are plenty of CAIs that are sold every day and installed in all kinds of vehicles, and I'm pretty sure the majority of the users don't get their vehicles custom tuned as well. Conversely, if our car's computers can't adjust for the "lean-ness" that a CAI causes, then obviously if I were to just use the stock airbox and filter, and were one of those owners who never changed the filter and let it get progressively dirty, then my car would eventually start running rich because the V's computer is too dumb to recognize and adjust?

On this same vein, I am in Calgary with an elevation of 3549'. If I were to make the drive to Vancouver (sea level), would my car's A/F ratio also be out of whack when I got there, as the engine would be getting much more air down at sea level than it would up here at altitude. I'm no expert, but I thought that all these sensors / computers were designed to address these issues. Would like to hear more from our in-house experts on this though.

??

6speeder
03-19-11, 01:49 PM
IF a CAI only changes the air box area, and not where the MAF sensor lives, it shouldn't greatly change the A/F. However, on the CTSV a CAI can change the airflow in the MAF area and it can cause your A/F to change.

wannago: The change in altitude won't change your A/F. The MAF calculates the MASS of the air going into the engine so it will add the correct amount of fuel.

PhxTriode
03-19-11, 05:33 PM
Hate to sound dumb, but just to be perfectly clear.....ANY CAI (I have an Airaid that I have yet to install), will run your car lean unless the car gets tuned? So instead of a being simple $300 mod which lets the engine breathe better and lets out the S/C whine, a CAI is actually a ~$700 mod?

Nice...I have read lots of threads on here about the different CAIs, and never saw this mentioned before....another dumb question, but doesn't the stock computer adjust for the increased airflow?

Tks

Put a pulley on and make the tune work for you... lol

PhxTriode
03-19-11, 05:48 PM

The ECM only has the ability to sense AFR at lower RPM's/loads through the stock (narrow band) O2's outside of those rpm/loads we tell the ECM we want more fuel (outside of the O2's range). The stock O2's can only sense a narrow variance from Stoich (14.68 AFR if not altered). When you go into pwoer enrichment the narrow band (stock) O2's are dead and ignored. So for basic cruise you are right short term and long term fuel trims will compensate within their effective range. When you are WOTthe ECM is calculating fuel from what your MAF is telling it the amount of air mass is. When tuning a tuner comparing the actual AFR vs commanded AFR to see the error, this error% is then applied to the air mass the MAF calibration says it thinks it has. This is done until the error% is typically +0%/-3%. Then there is GMVE which is an entirely different beast.

Hope this helps

BTW Tuners use Wideband O2's to get very accurate AFR reading especially outside of the stock narrow band O2's limits.

shade
03-19-11, 07:22 PM
PhxTriode is right - I put the new era on and we saw the car was looking for more fuel especially at the lower rpm's. These CAI's just let so much more air in its fantastic.

Cowan480
05-13-11, 12:08 AM
Performance wise, what is the best CAI to go with the 9.55, injectors, heat exchanger and tune?? I am still waiting a jesse to get back to me on my quote.

PremierJosh
05-13-11, 07:50 PM
I had a modded box on my last V but will be going with a new era on this one.