: '06 Performance P0240 Code Issue...

bluescat
03-17-11, 07:08 PM
I bought my '06 Performance in November after my '04 DHS was totaled (rear ended at 40mph by a young girl sending a text). I purchased the car from a salesman at a GM dealership, but it was his private vehicle and did not go through the dealer. The dealer did sell me an aftermarket warranty (Vehicle One) at $50 above cost, however.

After a couple weeks I had an SES light, and took it back to the dealer, who read a P0420 code. Their most experienced tech doubted the reading, so he reset the code to see if it would come back. It did not come back until last week, about two and a half months later. I noticed the SES light a week ago Saturday when I started it. Now, my wife (who doesn't look at lights) had the car the entire previous week, so the light could have been on for as much as a week, or just when I started it that morning. I made an appointment to take it into the local Caddy dealer (not where I bought it) this morning, and again, my wife has been driving the car all week. She met me at the dealer, and when I got in to drive it inside I noticed that the light was now out. She doesn't remember it going off.

I didn't leave the car, since they said that without an active code they could not accurately diagnose the problem quickly. If it had been an O2 sensor, the extended warranty would cover it, but if it were a cat, no luck. I'm also over 80,000 miles, so the emissions warranty is over.

I'll wait and see if it comes back, but does anyone have any ideas what coule be going on here? If the convertor was running below efficiency, as the code suggests, would it be likely for me to have the three clean starts required to reset the SES light?

Thanks!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-23-11, 04:00 PM
I bought my '06 Performance in November after my '04 DHS was totaled (rear ended at 40mph by a young girl sending a text). I purchased the car from a salesman at a GM dealership, but it was his private vehicle and did not go through the dealer. The dealer did sell me an aftermarket warranty (Vehicle One) at $50 above cost, however.

After a couple weeks I had an SES light, and took it back to the dealer, who read a P0420 code. Their most experienced tech doubted the reading, so he reset the code to see if it would come back. It did not come back until last week, about two and a half months later. I noticed the SES light a week ago Saturday when I started it. Now, my wife (who doesn't look at lights) had the car the entire previous week, so the light could have been on for as much as a week, or just when I started it that morning. I made an appointment to take it into the local Caddy dealer (not where I bought it) this morning, and again, my wife has been driving the car all week. She met me at the dealer, and when I got in to drive it inside I noticed that the light was now out. She doesn't remember it going off.

I didn't leave the car, since they said that without an active code they could not accurately diagnose the problem quickly. If it had been an O2 sensor, the extended warranty would cover it, but if it were a cat, no luck. I'm also over 80,000 miles, so the emissions warranty is over.

I'll wait and see if it comes back, but does anyone have any ideas what coule be going on here? If the convertor was running below efficiency, as the code suggests, would it be likely for me to have the three clean starts required to reset the SES light?

Thanks!

Hello,

I just wanted to check in and see if you were still having the concern with your SES light. Would you mind giving me an update?

Thanks,
Laura
Cadillac Customer Service

bluescat
03-24-11, 09:16 AM
Nope. The light is still off...