Cadillac Owners Forum banner

new for 2012

8K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  elevated 
#1 ·
Anybody hear what's going to be new for 2012.

#11 ·
With the new ZL1 Camaro coming out in 2012, we may get more power in the LSA since the ZL1 shares that engine. Pure speculation.

Also the 2012 GT500 is rumored to have over 600HP and competes with the ZL1.
The 2012 GT500s are already on the street and the HP hasn't changed. Maybe 2013 or 2014.

#16 ·
For sale and or delivered or just test vehicles?

#17 ·
They've been doing that for a few years with the Mustangs. They debut around March 1st.

#32 ·
You mean like the SRX?

#34 ·
Something that may not be too far removed from reality for 2012, could be the addition of the PTM from the ZR1.
This would be a most welcome addition to the V! I only suggest this because Shaun Bailey, who is with Road and Track (Associate Engineering Editor) has discovered during R&T's recent photo shoot of the car that the new Camaro ZL1, which was unveiled to the public in Chicago, is equipped with this feature. No official acknowledgment from GM on this, but I do know that all the details of the ZL1's equipment have not been made public...

Here are a couple of Shaun's pics that indicate the car is equipped thus:

According to Shawn, R&T was not permitted to test this aspect of the car, but managed to start it up - and the telltale readings in the dash indicate a working PTM.

Here is Shaun's explanation of the pics and what PTM does from what he posted on Camaro5:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2981359&postcount=1

Shaun Bailey said:
Note that PTM was enabled up to a setting of 5 in the second photo. The system was activated just as we thought. Traction control to comp mode and then the +/- buttons to adjust. Although this was a running car we were not permitted to drive it in such a way as to test any of these functions. It is believed that these systems are in development and their complete functionality will be revealed towards the end of the year, but nobody at GM has confirmed this. I think they'd be foolish not to include it though.

Having experienced a Corvette ZR1 with and without PTM, I sincerely hope that PTM is included at the launch of the ZL1.

I have a feeling most people don't understand what PTM can do. In it's most aggressive setting on the ZR1 it disables stability and conventional traction control. Looking at the cars yaw rate, steering input and throttle application it will determine the maximum amount of HP the rear wheels can accept and try to not let you exceed that with only engine management. In a perfect world the system will provide the maximum acceleration out of a corner with your foot to the floor. As you unwind the steering wheel the system will feed in more power. HOWEVER, if something's not perfect...like cold tires, slippery spot on the road... the system will allow you to slide off into the weeds. It's like the traction control systems used on race cars. It's there to help you go faster, not hinder you. And it's pretty stinking cool to lay into the throttle of a ZR1 Corvette and hear it sputter and pop angrily as you hit the apex of a corner. The sounds it makes as it modulates torque output through the corner exit are pure racing car. As you unwind the wheel onto the straight it lets the engine go completely and it feels as if Ron Fellows just showed you how to drive.
Not sure if I would want it on my car if it was to be made available, as I kinda like having as much control over the car as I possibly can... but I guess one can't argue with the benefits for a track application!

In any event, it sure looks like Chevy is pretty serious about the ZL1 if in fact the final decision is made to offer PTM on it.

Best regards,

Elie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.