: new for 2012

ocg
03-17-11, 03:00 PM
Anybody hear what's going to be new for 2012.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-11, 03:01 PM
Still too early. Changes are usually announced in April or May.

ocg
03-17-11, 03:04 PM
Anyone know whats going to be new for 2012

CTSV4now
03-17-11, 03:04 PM
With the new ZL1 Camaro coming out in 2012, we may get more power in the LSA since the ZL1 shares that engine. Pure speculation.

Also the 2012 GT500 is rumored to have over 600HP and competes with the ZL1.

EDIT: 2013 GT500

e6t
03-17-11, 03:14 PM
seven-speed DCT dual clutch transmission with three different shift speeds and a fully automatic mode.

oh wait... thats the new M5. My bad.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-11, 03:23 PM
The new M5 is also going to cost an arm and a leg at over $100K. I am happy with my primative CTS-V.

wfo
03-17-11, 03:48 PM
Optional 20" forged wheel package, like the Camaro offering and maybe crossed drilled brakes, taking a lead from the AMG series...Euro style only in terms of a bit lower in stance too.

e6t
03-17-11, 05:24 PM
The new M5 is also going to cost an arm and a leg at over $100K. I am happy with my primative CTS-V.

im willing to bet one will be able to be had for under 90... but youre right, the auto tranny in the caddy is primitive.

Caddyscat
03-17-11, 05:49 PM
Yeah, their going to re-name the thunder gray "evo green metallic", oh wait, they already did. There will probably be no significant changes, maybe they'll offer a different color wood trim or red calipers.

JimmyH
03-17-11, 06:17 PM
... but youre right, the auto tranny in the caddy is primitive.

until you need to fix it

mrl859
03-17-11, 06:24 PM
With the new ZL1 Camaro coming out in 2012, we may get more power in the LSA since the ZL1 shares that engine. Pure speculation.

Also the 2012 GT500 is rumored to have over 600HP and competes with the ZL1.The 2012 GT500s are already on the street and the HP hasn't changed. Maybe 2013 or 2014.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-11, 08:16 PM
The 2012 GT500s are already on the street and the HP hasn't changed. Maybe 2013 or 2014.

They are? 2012 Mustangs out in March of 2011? Damn, Ford keeps pushing up their model years. 2011 must be the shortest model year of the Mustang, EVER!

JimmyH
03-17-11, 08:35 PM
I have already seen two 2012 Dodge Chargers in the wild.

elphil
03-17-11, 09:29 PM
I wonder how much CTS content comes from Japan and if production will be effected.

JimmyH
03-17-11, 11:33 PM
i doubt it. I think Japan has lost more manufacturing to China than we have.

mrl859
03-18-11, 12:09 AM
For sale and or delivered or just test vehicles?

mrl859
03-18-11, 12:10 AM
They've been doing that for a few years with the Mustangs. They debut around March 1st.

cts-vv
03-18-11, 04:37 AM
New performance PKG for cts-v ... they will call it CTS-Vs lool ... 609 Hp ,,, Tune + pully ...

you can upgrade your V by only 5000 $ and keep the gurante on ,,,

thats my dream to kick the ass of New M5 :(

JimmyH
03-18-11, 03:36 PM
The new M5 will be faster. I am sure in 2013 or 14, or whenever the 3rd gen bows, the CTS-V will be faster. And repeat until political pressure makes BMW and Cadillac stop producing 5mpg, 1200 hp road rockets.

JimmyH
03-18-11, 03:37 PM
GM has already confirmed the C7 will have a 5.5 liter 440 hp V8. Since all GM V8s seem to evolve from the Corvette, make of that what you will.

Caddy Wagon
03-18-11, 03:39 PM
Lower C.I., maybe even a V6 with a turbo(s). :cookoo:

JimmyH
03-18-11, 03:45 PM
Strong rumours (if there is such a thing) point to a mid-engine C8 with a twin turbo V6, maybe even supercharged and turbocharged V6.

But they already confirmed the C7 is really a C6.5.

Tuna
03-18-11, 05:18 PM
I wonder how much CTS content comes from Japan and if production will be effected.

Lots of electronic parts come from Japan and nearly all Nav systems.
So, the Japanese issues could affect CTS production and spare parts inventories soon.

JimmyH
03-18-11, 05:36 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/224876-toyota-nissan-honda-japanese-assembly-lines.html

CTSV4now
03-18-11, 05:40 PM
New performance PKG for cts-v ... they will call it CTS-Vs lool ... 609 Hp ,,, Tune + pully ...

you can upgrade your V by only 5000 $ and keep the gurante on ,,,

thats my dream to kick the ass of New M5 :(

Lets just drop in the LS9 and have the CTS-Z option

JimmyH
03-18-11, 05:44 PM
with its lower profile, you wouldn't need the domed hood anymore.

RLJ676
03-18-11, 06:37 PM
GM has already confirmed the C7 will have a 5.5 liter 440 hp V8. Since all GM V8s seem to evolve from the Corvette, make of that what you will.

Could you site a source of where this was "confirmed by GM?"

JimmyH
03-18-11, 07:39 PM
Well ok, they have not made it official, but the source comes from within GM. And considering looming cafe, it makes perfect sense. They have confirmed they are developing the 5.5 liter though.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2010/06/28/motor-trend-c7-corvette-to-debut-with-new-5-5l-440-hp-v8-powerplant/

SecretWeapon
03-18-11, 08:36 PM
Launch control like they have on the Vette.

BeagleBrains
03-21-11, 11:32 AM
New Cadillac stuff:
http://cadillacenthusiastmagazine.com/cadillac-magazine/2011/02/08/rumormill-470-hp-2014-cadillac-ats-v/

wfo
03-21-11, 12:17 PM
Push button would very do-able and bring the ingnition into the modern world.

mrl859
03-21-11, 04:29 PM
Push button would very do-able and bring the ingnition into the modern world.You mean like the SRX?

GM-4-LIFE
03-21-11, 04:42 PM
Push button would very do-able and bring the ingnition into the modern world.

I don't think we will see push button ignition on the CTS until the next generation, if at all. It would be nice to have in all GM vehicles. Don't know why GM hasn't done it already.

garfin
03-21-11, 06:58 PM
Something that may not be too far removed from reality for 2012, could be the addition of the PTM from the ZR1.
This would be a most welcome addition to the V! I only suggest this because Shaun Bailey, who is with Road and Track (Associate Engineering Editor) has discovered during R&T's recent photo shoot of the car that the new Camaro ZL1, which was unveiled to the public in Chicago, is equipped with this feature. No official acknowledgment from GM on this, but I do know that all the details of the ZL1's equipment have not been made public...

Here are a couple of Shaun's pics that indicate the car is equipped thus:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/tests/draft-content/chevrolet-camaro-zl1/gallery/chevrolet_camaro_zl1_photo_13/2375447-1-eng-US/rt-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-013_gallery_image_large.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/tests/draft-content/chevrolet-camaro-zl1/gallery/chevrolet_camaro_zl1_photo_14/2375462-1-eng-US/rt-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-014_gallery_image_large.jpg

According to Shawn, R&T was not permitted to test this aspect of the car, but managed to start it up - and the telltale readings in the dash indicate a working PTM.

Here is Shaun's explanation of the pics and what PTM does from what he posted on Camaro5:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2981359&postcount=1

Note that PTM was enabled up to a setting of 5 in the second photo. The system was activated just as we thought. Traction control to comp mode and then the +/- buttons to adjust. Although this was a running car we were not permitted to drive it in such a way as to test any of these functions. It is believed that these systems are in development and their complete functionality will be revealed towards the end of the year, but nobody at GM has confirmed this. I think they'd be foolish not to include it though.

Having experienced a Corvette ZR1 with and without PTM, I sincerely hope that PTM is included at the launch of the ZL1.

I have a feeling most people don't understand what PTM can do. In it's most aggressive setting on the ZR1 it disables stability and conventional traction control. Looking at the cars yaw rate, steering input and throttle application it will determine the maximum amount of HP the rear wheels can accept and try to not let you exceed that with only engine management. In a perfect world the system will provide the maximum acceleration out of a corner with your foot to the floor. As you unwind the steering wheel the system will feed in more power. HOWEVER, if something's not perfect...like cold tires, slippery spot on the road... the system will allow you to slide off into the weeds. It's like the traction control systems used on race cars. It's there to help you go faster, not hinder you. And it's pretty stinking cool to lay into the throttle of a ZR1 Corvette and hear it sputter and pop angrily as you hit the apex of a corner. The sounds it makes as it modulates torque output through the corner exit are pure racing car. As you unwind the wheel onto the straight it lets the engine go completely and it feels as if Ron Fellows just showed you how to drive.

Not sure if I would want it on my car if it was to be made available, as I kinda like having as much control over the car as I possibly can... but I guess one can't argue with the benefits for a track application!

In any event, it sure looks like Chevy is pretty serious about the ZL1 if in fact the final decision is made to offer PTM on it.

Best regards,

Elie

GM-4-LIFE
03-21-11, 08:54 PM
I agree, but most importantly if you buy a $70K+ car, you should be able to enjoy all the luxuries and all the high tech gizmos. The more features the car has, the better and more appealing it is to a potential buyer.

Nutz
03-21-11, 10:22 PM
I would like to see a Johnny O'Connell package V Coupe with carbon fiber rotors with gold calipers (seasoned look), upgraded suspension by Pfadt (like he did for Corvette), and a Katech heads and cam package. Autographed dash. One color scheme choice only, satin black lower half with silver top half (hood, roof, and trunk lid).

BeagleBrains
03-22-11, 05:57 PM
Lets just drop in the LS9 and have the CTS-Z option
This is a most logical idea and should titilate GM/Cadillac manufacturing by controlling cost with the use of an existing drive train!

GM-4-LIFE
03-22-11, 08:57 PM
When the new M5 debuts, GM should just drop in a closer variation of the LS9 and be done with it. The CTS-V is great, but it needs to weigh a bit less and have about 600 HP or maybe even more to show up ze Germans.

JimmyH
03-22-11, 10:56 PM
make the CTS-V 3200 lbs, and 500 hp will be enough. and it will be a scream to drive

RafCon
03-23-11, 12:56 AM
I don't think we will see push button ignition on the CTS until the next generation, if at all. It would be nice to have in all GM vehicles. Don't know why GM hasn't done it already.

At the V series academy, one of the people there said that they surveyed owners and prospective buyers and the majority wanted a turnable ignition switch as opposed to a push button. Talked about ACC mode and familiarity with turning the switch versus pushing a button.

mrl859
03-23-11, 01:48 AM
At the V series academy, one of the people there said that they surveyed owners and prospective buyers and the majority wanted a turnable ignition switch as opposed to a push button. Talked about ACC mode and familiarity with turning the switch versus pushing a button.

The weakest link theory?

Here's one for 2012:make the MyLink work with the CTS-V Coupe!

UWISHU1
03-23-11, 04:06 AM
When the new M5 debuts, GM should just drop in a closer variation of the LS9 and be done with it. The CTS-V is great, but it needs to weigh a bit less and have about 600 HP or maybe even more to show up ze Germans.
This ^^^

Captivating via tapatalk

JimmyH
03-23-11, 01:45 PM

they both suck. give me an old school key. keyless ignition ftmfl.

Jon
03-23-11, 02:11 PM
Push button start is just a fad. What's the difference between the simulated key and the push button? It's the same shit. One you push, the other one you turn. The V is a driver's car, a simulated key is more authentic. If that sort of thing matters to you, you're looking at the wrong car.

garfin
03-23-11, 02:34 PM
My father's '49 Chevy had a button on the dash that you had to push in order to start the car. That was considered a huge step forward as the '48s had a button on the floor beside the clutch that you had to step on in order to start the car... and then when the buttton on the dash was eliminated in favor of just having to put the key in the ignition and turning it to "Start", that was then thought of as a big deal!
I guess what goes around, comes around! LOL!

Best regards,

Elie

Umrswimr
03-23-11, 03:25 PM
Honestly?

The easy changes are the ones more likey to make a mid-model refresh. Things like a competition suspension package might be possible. Drop the ride height, lighter, add PTM, etc.

The muffler butterflies from the Corvette should be an easy (and necessary) addition.

Diff cooler option.

For the next gen, I'd definately like to see a weight reduction. This car simply weighs too much.

JimmyH
03-23-11, 03:32 PM
google around. third gen CTS is supposed to be "lightest car in class".

GM-4-LIFE
03-23-11, 08:41 PM
3rd gen V probably won't be.

ocg
03-23-11, 09:43 PM
maybe 20 inch wheels

BeagleBrains
03-24-11, 11:48 AM
Push button start is just a fad. What's the difference between the simulated key and the push button? It's the same shit. One you push, the other one you turn. The V is a driver's car, a simulated key is more authentic. If that sort of thing matters to you, you're looking at the wrong car.
I find that the Two-Position Switch facilitates arming the DIC Driver Preference logic to move the Seat, Steering Wheel, BlueTooth, etc. appropriate to the entering #1 or #2 Driver physical demands. How would a Push-Button Switch support place the Driver into the correct proximity for depressing the Clutch for start of the Manual Shift vehicle?
Possibly, the DIC Logic would set up positions and then be followed by the Engine Start initiated by depressing the Clutch. Simple enough. What is the sequence for DIC Logic and Engine Start for the V Automatic?
My '52 Hudson Hornet positioned the Engine Starter Switch beneath the Gas Pedal.

mrl859
03-24-11, 04:32 PM
I find that the Two-Position Switch facilitates arming the DIC Driver Preference logic to move the Seat, Steering Wheel, BlueTooth, etc. appropriate to the entering #1 or #2 Driver physical demands. How would a Push-Button Switch support place the Driver into the correct proximity for depressing the Clutch for start of the Manual Shift vehicle?
Possibly, the DIC Logic would set up positions and then be followed by the Engine Start initiated by depressing the Clutch. Simple enough. What is the sequence for DIC Logic and Engine Start for the V Automatic?
My '52 Hudson Hornet positioned the Engine Starter Switch beneath the Gas Pedal.The push button start has the same two positions dependent upon if your foot is on the brake when depressing the button.

JimmyH
03-24-11, 05:23 PM
3rd gen V probably won't be.

I suspect it probably will. together with the rumours of a lightweight third gen CTS, it won't need as powerful an engine. No matter what happens with CAFE, supercars will always sell. They will just get more and more expensive. And production will be artificially limited.

Maxniman
03-24-11, 06:17 PM
'Push button start is just a fad. What's the difference between the simulated key and the push button? It's the same shit. One you push, the other one you turn. The V is a driver's car, a simulated key is more authentic. If that sort of thing matters to you, you're looking at the wrong car.'

the vette is a drivers car and it has push button

JimmyH
03-24-11, 07:30 PM

does that mean we are supposed to approve?

elevated
04-05-11, 12:41 AM
When do they usually announce changes upcoming? Is it a special event day in April or May?

GM-4-LIFE
04-05-11, 01:34 AM
It will be announced officially in April or May and you can't miss it. Someone will post it on the forum.

baabootoo
04-05-11, 02:23 AM
I just heard that they will drop the engine size big time too. Just like all the others are doing.......... :(

mrl859
04-05-11, 02:32 AM
I just heard that they will drop the engine size big time too. Just like all the others are doing.......... :(

How reliable do you feel your source is?

mrl859
04-05-11, 02:35 AM
I predict the MyLink in the 2012 CTS. It is GM's version of the Ford Sync system which is light decades ahead of the cumbersome, archaic, non-intuitive system in the CTS now.

Jon
04-05-11, 08:08 PM
'

Yeah, we've got a '09 Z06 and the push button is the dumbest thing on the whole car.

Cowan480
04-05-11, 09:01 PM
Also the 2012 GT500 is rumored to have over 600HP and competes with the ZL1.

EDIT: 2013 GT500

BUT ITS A FREAKIN FORD. We are drivin caddy's!! Plus we have 4 doors. :-)

mrl859
04-05-11, 09:05 PM
Yeah, we've got a '09 Z06 and the push button is the dumbest thing on the whole car.And I feel that the pushbutton start on my 2011 SRX is one of the coolest things on it. I guess there's a butt for every seat.

ocg
04-06-11, 10:29 AM
In my M3(keyless) you just get in and push the button,thats cool. In my 458 ferrari you have to put the key in turn it and then push the button. thats dumb.

SuperBeast
04-06-11, 11:44 AM
Funny, i heard the 2012's were getting 7.1L LSX engines bored out to 4.125 with callie forged dragon slayer cranks with Callies fored ibeam's. wiseco blower pistonsarp main crank studs, race bearings for the rods, all in a 434 forged short block???
I also heard that they were going to forgo their fragile heads and use LS7 cnc heads with titanium valves with 3/8 pushrod ls 7 for the rocker arms...u know the regular stuff like a c5r timming chain, larger camshaft and i heard they were going to upgrade lifters to ls9!

probably go with a stronger pulley set up to account for any belt slip!

JimmyH
04-06-11, 02:55 PM
you guys are funny. they are not going to change the engine midcycle. I know they did it on the V1, but that was a transparent change.

and they are NOT going to add pushbutton start midcycle either. That would require a retooled dashboard, and they are not going to do it.

Jon
04-06-11, 07:26 PM
you guys are funny. they are not going to change the engine midcycle. I know they did it on the V1, but that was a transparent change.

and they are NOT going to add pushbutton start midcycle either. That would require a retooled dashboard, and they are not going to do it.

I don't see them doing a push button start midcycle, but it's doable. Cruze is getting push button for 2012. Then again, push button is available on Cruze in India already

JimmyH
04-06-11, 07:31 PM
If it's getting it midcycle, then it's already molded into the dash. they hold off features all the time for a midcycle refresh. I don't recall there being a logical place for it the 2nd gen cts dash.

CTSV4now
04-06-11, 07:37 PM
BUT ITS A FREAKIN FORD. We are drivin caddy's!! Plus we have 4 doors. :-)

My point was just that if ZL1 is given a bump up in power, then MAYBE the Caddy would also get that power bump since they share the same engine.

JimmyH
04-06-11, 07:49 PM
Chevy says "6.2L V8 expected to have at least 550hp." IIRC, they said the same exact thing about the 09 CTS-V. It's pretty well accepted that the LSA in the ZL1 is going to be identical to the one in the V. So don't expect any bumps in power.

elevated
04-06-11, 07:56 PM
I know I read somewhere, that when the CTS does get a refresh, it was to include a freshed up interior. I remember it mentioning 2013 or so though, and not 2012.

I am wondering if the CTS sedan, would get the door handles of the new Coupe. That would be a nice update for the sedan.