: My clutch shudder is back.

e6t
03-16-11, 09:47 PM
I shit you not.

500 miles after replacement, it is shuddering right along just like it did when i first got the car. The day I got the car back I could feel it ever so slightly, but I thought it was a phantom shudder or maybe I was looking too hard at it. It has gotten progressively worse as the days have passed until today, I realized that it is at the point of my first frustration... I was creeping along in a parking lot at a slight uphill angle in traffic slipping the clutch just little to move but not fully take off and JHDG JHGDG DJHDJ HDGJD DHGDJ HGD JHDJ HD.

According to the dealer when they replaced the clutch, they replaced everything "but the flywheel" which they buffed or whatever the hell they do to them.

I wouldnt be so mad if I didnt baby the hell out of this car. If I abused it in anyway, Id think it was my fault. I drive 24 miles a day with a two year old in a car seat in the back that I deliver to a location 1 city block from my garage. I am very rarely in the car without a child.

ALL of the squeaks and rattles they "fixed" are back as well, but I had just planned to live with those.

I havent called the dealer yet because Im crazy mad... :banghead:

Someone hold me.

hulksdaddy
03-16-11, 10:04 PM
Dayum! I've heard of gremlins, but maybe you ARE the gremlin!:duck:

e6t
03-16-11, 10:06 PM
Who you tellin.

Mike 09 V
03-17-11, 02:43 PM
Flywheel. Tell them to take it out and machine or replace it.

thatcoder
03-17-11, 03:13 PM
How far down do you push your clutch when shifting?

e6t
03-17-11, 03:13 PM
Flywheel. Tell them to take it out and machine or replace it.

that has to be what it is. could it be warped or flawed in some way that causes that? it cant be because i dont drive the car hard, right?

JimmyH
03-17-11, 05:12 PM
shudder or chatter? You can chatter the flywheel and pressure plate very easily. I know. i have done it to every car I have owned. It's from engaging the clutch too abruptly. It's just the way I drive.

e6t
03-17-11, 06:21 PM
shudder. there is nothing abrupt about the way i drive.

JimmyH
03-17-11, 07:01 PM
you don't have to drive fast to slap the clutch. on the contrary, the less aggressively you engage the clutch, the less likely you are to slip it, and the more likely you are to slap it. mine only showed itself when the car was extremely cold though.

wetcoast
03-17-11, 09:21 PM
Mine's shuddering too. I'm gonna take it in

cdog533
03-18-11, 11:49 AM
Some shudder is normal. Perhaps add more throttle when engaging the clutch.

You can also do a quick and dirty 'resurface' yourself by revving it to 4 grand, and slipping it for a while (til you smell clutch). Doing this on an uphill grade is easy.

Mine has shuddery days and not so shuddery days. Taking off from idle it can be tough to get it perfectly smooth. More thottle and more slip usually help.

wetcoast
03-18-11, 12:02 PM
Some shudder is normal. Perhaps add more throttle when engaging the clutch.

You can also do a quick and dirty 'resurface' yourself by revving it to 4 grand, and slipping it for a while (til you smell clutch). Doing this on an uphill grade is easy.

Mine has shuddery days and not so shuddery days. Taking off from idle it can be tough to get it perfectly smooth. More thottle and more slip usually help.

You know what. I noticed that I could tame down the shudder by slipping the clutch. It seems like an awful waste of clutch material though.

JimmyH
03-18-11, 02:02 PM

Old school racers call that "burnishing". I did it years ago on one of my cars and it did help a little. That car had ~120lb-ft. Not sure if I would try it on a car with 500+.

JimmyH
03-18-11, 02:03 PM
You know what. I noticed that I could tame down the shudder by slipping the clutch. It seems like an awful waste of clutch material though.

What's a new clutch? $1000? Helluva lot cheaper than a new tranny after you shudder the gears to death.

cdog533
03-18-11, 02:15 PM
I mean at an uphill angle, you are going to need A LOT of slip and a LOT of throttle to keep the car from shuddering. Less pliant clutches (like for cars with 556 hp) are unfortunately a little harder to modulate than the clutch on other cars (like my buddy's Boxster).

With the A/C on, I think it's worse. The idle is pretty low from the get go.

To summarize: DIG in the throttle and get some GOOD slip, you need to use the slip.

JimmyH
03-18-11, 02:17 PM
I am not saying it wouldn't work. I am saying I wouldn't want to try it anymore with modern cars.