: WTH, it just took me 20 minutes to fill my gas tank!!

brendajm
03-16-11, 04:37 PM
The pump kept shutting otf and I had to stand there and hold the nozzle the entire time.. Is there a recall for this? is this common? I have only put gas in once since I had it but that was just crazy, there is nowhere for the handle to rest while the gas is pumping, I am not standing out in the cold next winter doing that.. please tell me there is an easy fix for this..

ickday1
03-16-11, 04:53 PM
Get one of those G.E. Phase I atomic engines from
Japan. Understand they are having a melt down sale!

stevec5375
03-16-11, 05:08 PM
I have never had the problem you mention regarding having to hold the handle while doing a fill up. I have heard others on the forum mention it though. Perhaps a search would help?

c5 rv
03-16-11, 07:21 PM
This was also a problem with some 04-05 Lexus LS430s. Lexus eventually issued a TSB to correct the problem and late 2005s had a redesigned filler neck. Sometimes filling it on a slower setting will allow the tank to fill without interruption. The fix is still available from Lexus, but they no longer fix it for free. So, if GM does issue a fix, make sure you get it done while it's still free.

I wonder if the other GM vehicles on this platform are having the problem.

smiley47
03-16-11, 07:27 PM
I had that problem the first time or two that I filled the tank. The filller neck seems to have a slightly different angle than most cars. Then I tried changing the depth and the angle of the nozzle until I found the "sweet spot". Haven't had the problem since.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-16-11, 07:30 PM
yea you just gotta learn your car

sube5186
03-16-11, 07:36 PM
brendajm,

What state are you in? This problem only occurs with gas pumps in certain states. I can't give you a list of which states, but I know in PA I fill up at full speed with no interruptions. I've heard from others that CA is one of the states where this is a problem.

Sube

algiorda
03-16-11, 09:11 PM
I have heard people have this issue if they constantly TOP OFF their tanks. The charcoal vapor filter gets clogged and the problem gets worse.

TRMN8R1
03-17-11, 08:27 AM
Get one of those G.E. Phase I atomic engines from
Japan. Understand they are having a melt down sale!

Lesson in social sensitivity needed here.................

cvettr/cts-v
03-17-11, 08:44 AM
My mom had an olds bravada that was difficult at times to fill. Sometimes you needed to rotate the handle alittle and a few times had to put it in upside down to fill with out constantly shutting off but it was very intermittant. Hope her new srx does not do this but if so she'll know what to try to work around it.

PJ1520
03-17-11, 11:17 AM
Before I started looking at the vehicle for the source and solution to the problem, I'd switch pumps at the same station first, then try another station of the same brand, and then another brand if the problem persists.

When I have had this problem in the past, it wasn't the vehicle that was at fault. It was the gas station pump.

PJ

Marc NY
03-17-11, 11:47 AM
I had that problem the first time or two that I filled the tank. The filller neck seems to have a slightly different angle than most cars. Then I tried changing the depth and the angle of the nozzle until I found the "sweet spot". Haven't had the problem since.Same here... you need to find the sweet spot. Usually pulling it out a wee bit further does the trick!

brendajm
03-18-11, 06:38 AM
Sube, I live in Pa, but I filled up in Md on the way home from the Cadillace dealler in Belair. (a dealer I will never visit again) I will go to Kelley in Lancaster from now on.
I wont need gas again for a while so I will try it out again at at a pa gas station. Thanks everyone for your replies, I too will try different handle positions.

PJ1520
03-18-11, 10:01 AM
brendajm..........please let us know if this issue persists at your next fill up. I'd suggest you just stick the pump nozzle into the filler pipe like you normally would to see if the vehicle refuels at a normal pace now that you will be refueling somewhere else. If it still isn't working for you, then try the nozzle repositioning recommendations. This type of refueling problem happens to all of us occasionally, regardless of vehicle. For me it usually happens at the beginning of the refill and seems to correct itself after a couple of tries.

PJ.

sube5186
03-19-11, 12:04 PM
Sube, I live in Pa, but I filled up in Md on the way home from the Cadillace dealler in Belair. (a dealer I will never visit again) I will go to Kelley in Lancaster from now on.
I wont need gas again for a while so I will try it out again at at a pa gas station. Thanks everyone for your replies, I too will try different handle positions.

Brendajm,

I try to fill up at Turkey Hills, as they're on the Top Tier list. That's what the manual (page 8-43) recommends. I haven't had any problems yet, even the times I've went to stations other than TH. Let me know if you have problems in PA. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever filled up out of state. I've driven to other states and back, but always filled up in PA before I left.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Sube

whisler151
03-19-11, 08:07 PM
I feel your pain. That was so annoying.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/189212-pumping-gas.html

z06bigbird
06-24-11, 09:10 PM
g/f told me the same thing!!

mrl859
06-25-11, 11:02 PM
g/f told me the same thing!!Are we still talking about cars here? Cuz, ya' know, they got stuff you can take...................

mrl859
07-18-11, 10:20 AM
Any updates on the correction for this?

droldsmobile
08-23-11, 06:30 PM
I had the same thing happen on my C6 Corvette-it took at least 15 minutes to fill the tank-on-off-on-off....back to the dealer,they said they never heard of it.A month later the exact same thing happened on my Silverado pick up-back to the dealer-they blamed it on the gas pump-said I should buy gas somewhere else(it was 2 different gas stations 50 miles apart)Never happened again to either vehicle.....Go figure?????????

11RavenBlack
08-24-11, 02:56 PM
I've filled up in Eldersburg, Stevensville, Denton, Reisterstown and Ocean City (all in Maryland) and have had no problems whatsoever.

wag 42
08-25-11, 07:49 AM
I noticed the same thing when we took a recent trip to California. I had to hold the nozzle up, or it kept shutting off. It only happened in Cali, no where else...

mrl859
08-25-11, 10:42 AM
I noticed the same thing when we took a recent trip to California. I had to hold the nozzle up, or it kept shutting off. It only happened in Cali, no where else...Welcome to California!

99ssconv
09-17-11, 09:00 PM
There is a updated fuel fill pipe for early 2010's
other than that it is the vapor recovery problem at the filling station
next time it happens hold the gas nozzle completely upside down and fill your tank, my vette would do the same thing and holding the handle upside down would do the trick.

dctex99
09-18-11, 01:28 AM
I have found that different gas stations also vary the problem; you might try a different brand that might have a different pump and spout which might work with less problems!! My GTO is really finicky about this because the tank was put in the trunk for USA instead of underneath like it originally was in Australia!!