: RPMs drop slowly when throttle abruptly closed... Normal?

Aurora40
03-16-11, 04:28 PM
I've noticed this for a while now, but don't know if it is normal behavior. Compared to a car with a cable-operated throttle, when I accelerate hard in a gear, but then let off the gas, the RPMs are fairly slow to drop. I don't know if that's due to the electronic throttle, a very heavy flywheel, some intentional programming, or some flaw?

I mostly notice it when I hammer the gas in like 1st gear, but then shift to 3rd or 4th from there to cruise. The RPMs take longer to drop than seems normal, meaning you can't just go right to the higher gear (smoothly), you have to wait a second.

Is this normal behavior?

EdmundGTP
03-16-11, 05:16 PM
Seems to be pretty normal for a stock V. I know mine does that. Most likely a result of the the things you mentioned, electronic throttle control + bloated flywheel.

Jbawden
03-16-11, 08:11 PM
I think they all do it under appropriate conditions. I've always assumed it was more emissions related.

V6TA-MI
03-16-11, 08:34 PM
Newbe here, noticed the same thing. Far as I know, car is bone stock. Kinda anoying to me, would like to know if there are any solutions. Just passed one month of ownership.

Glenn

heavymetals
03-16-11, 10:33 PM
Raise your hands if you have the stock flywheel and punch it. :shhh:

D3l7a3ch0
03-17-11, 12:08 PM
how about an intermittent ZERO throttle response from blipping to downshift? i hate it

Twitch
03-17-11, 12:58 PM
Raise your hands if you have the stock flywheel and punch it. :shhh:
As of yesterday my hand will be down :yup:

Not sure about the OPs situation, but I do know if you put it in neutral and let it coast, RPMs will hang around 1500 till you get slow enough.
Just a guess, but it could possibly be built into the tune. With the heavy FW dropping from 4K to 800rpm it may be hard to get a good idle.

Tony

heavymetals
03-17-11, 02:18 PM
There is also a deceleration mode where the idle circuit will not engage until zero MPH is sensed.

D3l7a3ch0
03-18-11, 03:30 PM
So you're saying it has a purpose, and we don't notice it until we do something out of the ordinary like go from high RPMs under load, to neutral... but all other times, the RPM hold is smoother during shifts

kevm14
03-20-11, 09:40 AM
how about an intermittent ZERO throttle response from blipping to downshift? i hate it

YES. I have not been totally happy with the throttle response. One day I'll get around to some tuning and down the road from there, maybe an LS7 clutch/flywheel. Then I think I'll be happy. It's a shame, though - my 95 Z28 was absolutely pleasant and satisfying in the throttle response department. Most people say the C5 Z06 is good, too, though it has a dual mass flywheel...must be lighter than ours?

50 4Ever
03-20-11, 08:18 PM
I've noticed this for a while now, but don't know if it is normal behavior. Compared to a car with a cable-operated throttle, when I accelerate hard in a gear, but then let off the gas, the RPMs are fairly slow to drop. I don't know if that's due to the electronic throttle, a very heavy flywheel, some intentional programming, or some flaw?

I mostly notice it when I hammer the gas in like 1st gear, but then shift to 3rd or 4th from there to cruise. The RPMs take longer to drop than seems normal, meaning you can't just go right to the higher gear (smoothly), you have to wait a second.

Is this normal behavior?

Yes, it's called throttle follow-on and it is built into the tune. I am not sure if it can be gotten rid of by a tuner.

When I had my other V on the track several years ago, and did a blip and downshift, it seems like it took for ever for the RPM's to fall.

mstrjon32
03-20-11, 10:08 PM
I find the electronic throttle annoying...I'm used to coming off the gas and having the revs quickly drop, and even more annoyingly, I'm used to a more predictable response for blipping the throttle for a downshift. I guess in time I'll get used to the V, but at times I feel like I've blipped the throttle and nothing has happened.

lollygagger8
03-21-11, 12:59 PM
It's the dual mass turd. Get rid of it asap. Not only will a lighter fw rev faster, it decels MUCH faster. Once I changed out, it made a helluva difference.

See videos for difference.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqevSKUnDc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7JwlCZSTFI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL