: Payback period GM Protection Plan

billdaman
03-16-11, 12:23 PM
Wondering if I can get a nice sample of the true value received by purchasing a GMPP extended warranty for my 06 DTS with 33K. Many members have commented on this plan "paying for itself" So I would like to collect some data on this. This has to be helpful to anyone facing the decision to purchase one of these contracts. If there is enough information provided I will run a summary of the payback period and post it.

So can you provide the:

Year of DTS
Mileage when purchased
Amount paid
# months / Miles covered by contract
Estimated or true total cost of actual repairs performed during the period the warranty is in effect
# months until cost to purchase warranty recovered

Superjim
03-16-11, 03:41 PM
I bought the GMPP MAJOR GUARD with $100 dollar deductible for my 2006 at 49,900 miles on Christmas eve of 2008.
I paid $2,300 for the GMPP.
It is good till Christmas Eve of 2011 or 104,900 miles...whichever comes first.
It now has 95,000 miles on it.

Since then I have had the front strut bearings replaced...
the automatic headlight sensor in the top of the dash replaced...
the steering rack replaced...
the engine half case seal leak fixed...
the rear valve cover leak fixed...
the right front tire pressure sensor replaced...
the ballast in the right front headlight was replaced
the entire NAV system was replaced...
and a few other things that I can't think of right now.

I kinda figured it up a while back and GMPP has paid out at least $8,000 for work done to it since I got the GMPP.

I think I came out way ahead on it.
But keep in mind... I am super picky about my car...I don't let anything slide.
If something is wrong, I want it fixed and fixed RIGHT.

Neither The half case leak or the valve cover leak had "EVER" dropped a drop of oil on my garage floor.
But there was a small seep at each place... so I had it fixed.

Same thing with the automatic headlight sensor in the dash...
It still worked, but it turned the lights on before they needed to be and waited too long in the morning to turn them off to suit me... so I had it fixed.

The steering rack was replaced because you could feel a tiny CATCH in the steering wheel when you moved it back and forth about 10 degrees from center position.

I try to maintain my vehicles so that they are as close to 100 percent reliable as possible.
I take a lot of long road trips and I do not want to have any car trouble when I am traveling.
A few weeks ago I had the coolant changed and the transmission fluid changed...just because. :)

Texas Jim

Lev Blekher
03-17-11, 04:17 AM
For what was the nav replaced? I'm the same neurotic way with my vehicles. Right now I'm getting some minor issues smoothed out at the dealer. I looked for a DeVille that already came with the warranty specifically, because that's the best way to get the value.

Superjim
03-17-11, 07:49 AM
For what was the nav replaced? I'm the same neurotic way with my vehicles. Right now I'm getting some minor issues smoothed out at the dealer. I looked for a DeVille that already came with the warranty specifically, because that's the best way to get the value.

Nav was replaced because it would sometimes... not often... about every two or three months...just RESET itself while you were driving down the road.

It would TURN ITSELF OFF and then BACK ON and reboot...like you had just turned the ignition on.

Jim

Mark58
03-18-11, 08:12 PM
2007 Performance had 15500 miles
Now I have 21500 miles on it
Paid about $3000.00 for 5 yrs and 60,000 miles
so far new steering wheel ( heater only worked on one side)
2 tire pressure monitors
Rear window ( defrost problems) needs replaced again
and I hope they make money on mine,,LOL don't want too many issues.