: Do you have 20" Chrome Wheel Issues?

Marc NY
03-16-11, 07:00 AM
My chrome front two rims have started peeling or flaking off. At first glance It looks as though they might have been damaged by my local car wash over the winter months.

After closer look I can see a small ding on the outside spoke areas where the chrome is just now starting to peel or flake off. It doesn't look like any signs of curb rash, but more like the wheels might have bounced off a car wash rail.

Does anyone else have this issue or any thoughts on this topic?

I wonder how much new rims are going to cost me. :crybaby:

chiefmjk
03-16-11, 02:26 PM
New rim will run about $675.00. I had curb rub. :ripped:

Marc NY
03-17-11, 06:08 AM
$620.00 List + tax x 2 :suspense:

RedBeauty
03-17-11, 07:22 AM
Marc,

I had 2 very slight brown blemishes on my drivers rear 20 inch chrome wheel. I tried to remove them to no avail so I showed it to my Service Advise who to my surprise just ordered me a new wheel without question. I mention this because perhaps there was a defect in yours that caused the issue. Before buying a new wheels mention it.

I assume you’re the same Marc on the SSR forum. I also have a SSR but have never posted here till now.

Dave

Razorecko
03-17-11, 09:05 AM
I have the same issue. Hasn't even been one full year. One winter in chicago and all four wheels are starting to show 'bubble's on the corners and started discoloring. I'll have to talk to the service advisor about this. It's unacceptable for a new vehicle.

sube5186
03-17-11, 10:43 AM
I think the early production chrome tech wheels were sub par. Two of mine developed cracks in the small section where the stem is. A third one had what looked like a crack developing on one of its spokes. The forth one had chrome peeling on one of the edges. The cracks developed over time. The other defects were likely there from day one and I just didn't notice them. I purposely waited a year before I said anything, hoping the production quality had improved. Showed the defects to my service dept. and they replaced all four wheels with no charge. Of course this includes computer spin balancing too, since my original tires had to be remounted on them. So far, so good. No problems with any of them.

Moral of this story? Anything other than damage caused by user error (scraping the curb, car wash, etc.) should justify a replacement. If your dealer balks at the idea, the problem is with the dealer.

Sube

Marc NY
03-17-11, 11:36 AM
Marc,

I had 2 very slight brown blemishes on my drivers rear 20 inch chrome wheel. I tried to remove them to no avail so I showed it to my Service Advise who to my surprise just ordered me a new wheel without question. I mention this because perhaps there was a defect in yours that caused the issue. Before buying a new wheels mention it.

I assume you’re the same Marc on the SSR forum. I also have a SSR but have never posted here till now.

DaveHI RedBeauty, yes that is me on the SSR Forum. :)

I think the early production chrome tech wheels were sub par. Two of mine developed cracks in the small section where the stem is. A third one had what looked like a crack developing on one of its spokes. The forth one had chrome peeling on one of the edges. The cracks developed over time. The other defects were likely there from day one and I just didn't notice them. I purposely waited a year before I said anything, hoping the production quality had improved. Showed the defects to my service dept. and they replaced all four wheels with no charge. Of course this includes computer spin balancing too, since my original tires had to be remounted on them. So far, so good. No problems with any of them.

Moral of this story? Anything other than damage caused by user error (scraping the curb, car wash, etc.) should justify a replacement. If your dealer balks at the idea, the problem is with the dealer.

SubeIf it was caused by the car wash I hope that will own up to paying for two new ones. :ill: