: Disappointed - very disappointed

Gronk
03-16-11, 01:49 AM
I traded in my 2006 CTS for a new SRX. Boy was that a mistake! Really unhappy with the SRX. I live out west and the roads have hills and mountains. Every time a little hill comes up the transmission down-shifts and then up-shifts on the other side; up and down it goes for miles. It is better using the sport mode, but you shouldn't have to. It even drops clear down to 4th gear on some hills on the interstate, and revs up to 5000 grand to get going. It puts out the horsepower if you wind it way up, but it really lacks torque. It is too bad they didn't use the CTS motor in the first place! The vehicle ride is also very stiff and jaring, especially over tar strips. Have had memory holding problems also. I am not sure what I am going to do; thinking about a CTS wagon, but really unhappy with the local Cadillac dealer. Maybe the Lincoln version of the Ford Edge or a Lexus RX350.:(

PJ1520
03-16-11, 02:50 AM
Gronk.....didn't you test drive it before you bought? 2.8L Turbo or the 3.0L V6?

PJ

Gronk
03-16-11, 03:16 AM
It has the 3.0. Yes I drove it, but obviously not enough.

Ponyman
03-16-11, 11:10 AM
You know, that is what a test drive is for. Ten minute test drives that most peole do are really not enough. DRIVE the thing like you will when you own it. You really have nobody but yourself to blame for this. It isn't Cadillac's fault that the car doesn't do what you think it should. You should have been sure the car's performance and ride met YOUR expectations before you bought it.

PJ1520
03-16-11, 11:33 AM
Regardless, 5,000 rpm to hold a speed on an interstate upgrade doesn't sound right or normal, way too high. No?

PJ

TheCaptain
03-16-11, 01:40 PM
Ok, does nobody understand these overdrive transmissions? Yes, the 3.0L is light on the torque, but also look at these transmission ratios. These ratios are geared more for economy then torque too, so that doesn't exactly help the uphill downhill deal... but seriously...
---Trans Ratio
Fifth: 1.00
Sixth: 0.74

Great ratios for the highway, and a slight need for downshifting on hills. Now, unless you have a lovely big torque engine (usually inverse to economy) there is need to downshift! Even the Audi, Benz and Porches with 8 speeds, they need to downshift to climb hills too! The last two gears are usually always super overdrive meant for flat terrain and no passing. That's why a transmission has multiple gears!

If you want, i can see if i can find someone to install a two speed powerglide and you never have to worry about downshifting to go up and down hills!
You'll just have to worry about where your next gas stop is, and hope you don't have to go over 120 kmh. :yup:

(But yea, 224 lb ft of torque is slightly on the small side, especially for an SUV/Crossover.)

wag 42
03-16-11, 05:19 PM
I can appreciate your frustration. I live in a very "hilly" state. When my wife first saw the SRX (3.0) and test drove it, it was on a very flat area. I just rode in the back and thought it rode nicely. A few weeks later we went to a dealership that had both the 3.0 and the 2.8T. I drove the 2.8T and went up a good incline that was 35mph, and it held the gear nicely. Took the 3.0 on the same route, and it was like it was searching for the correct gear. I new at that point that we had to go for the 2.8T or something completely different. I really had hoped the 3.0 would cut it for us and I could save about $3800, unfortunately that didn't happen.

Best of luck...

c5 rv
03-16-11, 08:26 PM
If you consider a 2010 or later Lexus RX350, be sure you also take that for a long test drive. Some folks detect a sickness-inducing porpoising motion.

GMJim
03-16-11, 08:44 PM
I understand completely, and I have bitched about this continually. I appreciate Captains explanation, again.

My previous vehicle was a 2006 AWD V8 SRX.
It was almost impossible to get that vehicle to jump gears.
You could step down to pass at 80MPH, and all you would get was endless power.
No jump in gears.

The gear jumping is one thing I personally could not get past, along with a HVAC system that never worked right.
So, no more SRX for me.

Gronk
03-17-11, 02:05 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the info. I am glad I am not the only one with the problem with the 3.0. The SRX 3.0 has the same torque as my old Jeep
Wrangler has, but pushing twice the weight.

dctex99
03-17-11, 03:04 AM
Geared for "Economy"? So it must get 30MPG right....no wait...its no better than my 06 that gets 25.....just wearing out the engine and transmission earlier as it searches and searches.......so sad....hope my 2012 is ALOT better; I predict these lemon 2010's, and marginally better 2011 will nose dive in value..!!

Ponyman
03-17-11, 08:33 AM
So what are you complaining about dctex ? You don't even own one. Why don't you go back to the old forum and spread your hate and discontent there, and let the peole on this board who REALLY own them sort out the various gripes, comliments and other issues.

TRMN8R1
03-17-11, 09:32 AM
Gee, I like mine..............yes, a little short on torque, yes some tranny searching at times I would expect so, but not enough to NOT get in and enjoy it! Oh, and yes, I did test drive mine on my favorite route which combined all terrain conditions. The perfect vehicle doesn't exist, always a trade off IMHO. But, the ultimate driving experience I have in mine more than compensates...........

PJ1520
03-17-11, 01:19 PM
dctex..............GMJim did pretty well on his trade-in.

Second, let's not forget what the 2010 makeover did for the Second Generation SRX, including the two smaller engines which were selected for the Second Generation vehicle. Folks were unhappy with the First Generation fuel mileage even though it was as good or better than much of the competitive crossovers out there, and pretty good actually for a 4,250-4,450 pound vehicle.

Third, with the Second Generation SRX prices came down and sales vaulted. And the 2.8T was there for those who wanted or needed the extra horsepower and torque, albeit with a $3,800 price tag to get it. That was no different than the First Generation SRX owners trying to decide between the 3.6L V6 and the 4.6L Northstar V8.

Personally, with the Second Generation SRX I would rather make the $3,800 "mistake" by selecting the turbo and be whining about it's cost (to acquire and to run) rather than risk being dissatisfied with the base engine's performance. Personal preference, nothing more.

We have to live with our choices every time we turn the key in the ignition. At the end of the day, the additional cost just isn't worth it for most, and they are perfectly happy with the 3.0L as this forum's tone indicates. Granted, the base 3.0L is a tad light on power for some folks tastes or for some applications. But I think we have to agree that, by and large, the market has strongly embraced the SecondGen SRX in a way they did not embrace FirstGen SRX. And I own the FirstGen SRX.

Fourth.....there is no substitute for thoroughly test driving one's short list of vehicles before making a purchase, checking out features, comfort, and performance. For me that means my wife needs to be on board before we pull the trigger since both of us will be driving the vehicle for some time. A quick buy followed by dissatisfaction can be either a long-term disappointment if one chooses to keep the vehicle. Or one has to decide to eat the depreciation and trade for something else, perhaps an expensive proposition.

Personally, the RX350 does nothing for me. But there is not a lot there to dislike about the RX, the undisputed sales leader in this market niche five years running, and by a large margin. My personal preferences include appearance differentiation. You can spot an SRX in a sea of Crossovers and SUVs. That is why the RX got eliminated from my short list.......that, and it was down on power for my tastes.

I feel bad for Gronk and those who are unhappy with their choice of engines because their way out has a price tag I wouldn't want to take on. When I was young and in the market for my very first car, my father warned me about buying something as expensive as a car that I would be unhappy with day to day and over time.

PJ

Ponyman
03-17-11, 01:42 PM
Very well said PJ, and TRMN. I too an VERY happy with my SRX 3.0, and in no way consider it a lemon.

GMJim
03-17-11, 02:35 PM
GMJim did guuuuur-RATE!!! on his trade in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And that should be encouraging news to all Gen two owners.
SRX continues to be one of the best sellers for GM,
and will continue to hold their value.
The SRX is an awesome vehicle. It just wasn't the vehicle for me.

Ponyman
03-17-11, 04:05 PM
Ican't be all things for all people. Either test drive it and make sure it is what you want and expect, or bite the bullett and get rid of it if you are unhappy. Life is too short. What I don't understand is some new gen SRX wanna be, with the outdated model criticizing a vehicle that he doesn't even own. At least you owned it and decided that it wasn't exactly what you wanted. I am sure next year when it comes out with the 3.6, that the same people will be criticizing it for not having a V-8.

Smokin' SRX
03-18-11, 12:13 AM
Easy Ponyman. All are allowed to voice opinions here. Yes even from an earlier forum. I always read yours with interest. We don't have to agree w anyone to hear them out. We can spot disgruntledness and judge it's validity. I love my 2010 SRX as much as you do, but you know I wish it would have much better MPG than my V-8 '04 SRX had. (doesn't cause I always nail it) And I always said, it's power was barely adequate for it's weight (as TheCapt points out so well) Give dctex99 his say. GMJim's nice trade-in price counters his opinion of poor resale sufficiently I'm happy to say.

My related complaint is the roar caused by being in the 4-5,000 RPM range so often, to really move it. Yes, don't say it...........I know........ I hear your voice........I shoulda got the Turbo for my particular likes, and you're right, but am happy enough w/ the gas $$ I save using REG vs. Premium.

peace
SS

PS............ I'm with the majority here who wishes Caddy put the 3.6L in from day 1. Had an Enclave with it and it flew w/SAME mpg. No biggie, I went in eyes-wide-open. Wallet too! LOL

Ponyman
03-18-11, 08:37 AM
The 3.6 would be nice, I had it in my 08 CTS, and it is a good engine. That said the 10 and 11 SRX's are what they are, and if we don't like it then we have nobody but ourselves to blame for buying it and not test driving it enough to see if it really met our needs. Personally, I am VERY happy with my 10, and if they keep up the great styling, will probably trade it in about three years for a new one, as I did my 05 CTS for the 08. Yeah, DCtex has a right to his opion, but it would only be VALID is he actually owned the vehicle, instead of trashing it by proxy. I also have the right to point out that he is doing so. Is it a perfect car, no. But it must be pretty good with all the vehicles they have been selling, and the relatively few number of haters and bashers on this board.

PJ1520
03-18-11, 10:37 AM
A couple of questions back to OP, Gronk.........is this hilly terrain a daily drive or an occasional one which causes the 2 gear downshifts that annoy you? Second, are the hills that steep that require 5,000 rpm in the lower gear to overcome them?

Last night I was thinking of you while driving back home from New Hampshire on an interstate with a couple of pretty steep grades. Somehow 5,000 rpm to hold speed on an upgrade sounds excessive to me, even with the 3.0L V6. I wonder if your transmission is grabbing an unnecessarily low gear and holding it too long.

PJ

Gronk
03-19-11, 02:07 PM
PJ1520:

The one drive where the problem is the worst is a weekly one. If I set the cruise control between 68 to 70 as I progress up the hill, it will downshift to fifth and back to sixth on every little upgrade. But it seems to hunt for the right gear. Even after it drops into fifth will going up hill, it will shift back and forth between 5 & 6. There are a couple of very long steep upgrades toward the top of the pass. The transmission will drop down to forth gear, where the rpm will surge to around 5000, then settle to 4000. If I use the sport mode, I can control the shifting better and able to hold it in a particular gear for longer periods. However, even holding it in fifth, when it gets to those steep parts, it will force change to 4th, which is understandable. I guess I was spoiled with my CTS; on the same drive, the only time it dropped out of 6th, was on those last two steep parts. And it never hunted for the right gear. I should say that my wife likes the car very much, but she does not drive it as much as I do. Maybe I am over critical. I will take a look at the 2012 with the 3.6 when it comes out, it should be much better.

Ponyman
03-19-11, 05:00 PM
Depending on version of the 3.6 engine the SRX gets, it should do better. I belive the still have the 3.6 DI, and the plain 3.6with just VVT. Both are good engines, but I hope they put the DI engine in the SRx if they are going to the trouble to install a bigger engine.

b4z
03-19-11, 09:07 PM
I understand completely, and I have bitched about this continually. I appreciate Captains explanation, again.

My previous vehicle was a 2006 AWD V8 SRX.
It was almost impossible to get that vehicle to jump gears.
You could step down to pass at 80MPH, and all you would get was endless power.
No jump in gears.

The gear jumping is one thing I personally could not get past, along with a HVAC system that never worked right.
So, no more SRX for me.

It was either unlocking the torque converter or downshifting to a lower gear. you just didn't notice it unless you lookied at the tach.

PJ1520
03-20-11, 10:38 AM
Easy Ponyman. All are allowed to voice opinions here. Yes even from an earlier forum. I always read yours with interest. We don't have to agree w anyone to hear them out. We can spot disgruntledness and judge it's validity. I love my 2010 SRX as much as you do, but you know I wish it would have much better MPG than my V-8 '04 SRX had. (doesn't cause I always nail it) And I always said, it's power was barely adequate for it's weight (as TheCapt points out so well) Give dctex99 his say. GMJim's nice trade-in price counters his opinion of poor resale sufficiently I'm happy to say.

My related complaint is the roar caused by being in the 4-5,000 RPM range so often, to really move it. Yes, don't say it...........I know........ I hear your voice........I shoulda got the Turbo for my particular likes, and you're right, but am happy enough w/ the gas $$ I save using REG vs. Premium.

peace
SS

PS............ I'm with the majority here who wishes Caddy put the 3.6L in from day 1. Had an Enclave with it and it flew w/SAME mpg. No biggie, I went in eyes-wide-open. Wallet too! LOL

Smokin.......does that mean I can still post here? I already sent you my $100 membership fee and the check was cashed. ;)

I am in agreement with you.......the Second Generation SRX is flying off the lots, engine discussion or no. If I am not mistaken, I may have read somewhere that the GenII took the SRX from 4th or 5th in its niche market share to #2 behind the RX. If folks don't like the looks or the engines, why are so many folks voting with their checkbooks? Why? Because Cadillac is doing something right.

GM has a few V6s that top 300 horsepower with the torque to match. But if I were GM, I would make a 300+hp version an option.....to keep the base sticker price lower and within reach of a larger number of interested car buyers. My bet is that the base engine for 2012 will be closer to the base 3.6L V6 in the FirstGen SRX where there was no excessive discussion/concern about excessive downshifting......the torque was higher in the FirstGen's larger displacement V6, enough to mitigate some of the downshifting. And if my memory serves me correctly, the torque and horsepower (peaks) in the FirstGen SRX came in sooner, at lower rpm.

There is no substitute for cubic inches in a normally aspirated engine. The FirstGen SRX weighed in at 4,250 pounds, the same as the second generation SRX.

PJ

b4z
03-20-11, 12:03 PM
Smokin.......does that mean I can still post here? I already sent you my $100 membership fee and the check was cashed. ;)

I am in agreement with you.......the Second Generation SRX is flying off the lots, engine discussion or no. If I am not mistaken, I may have read somewhere that the GenII took the SRX from 4th or 5th in its niche market share to #2 behind the RX. If folks don't like the looks or the engines, why are so many folks voting with their checkbooks? Why? Because Cadillac is doing something right.

GM has a few V6s that top 300 horsepower with the torque to match. But if I were GM, I would make a 300+hp version an option.....to keep the base sticker price lower and within reach of a larger number of interested car buyers. My bet is that the base engine for 2012 will be closer to the base 3.6L V6 in the FirstGen SRX where there was no excessive discussion/concern about excessive downshifting......the torque was higher in the FirstGen's larger displacement V6, enough to mitigate some of the downshifting. And if my memory serves me correctly, the torque and horsepower (peaks) in the FirstGen SRX came in sooner, at lower rpm.

There is no substitute for cubic inches in a normally aspirated engine. The FirstGen SRX weighed in at 4,250 pounds, the same as the second generation SRX.

PJ

The 1st gen also had 3.73 gears and a .75 5th gear so it was geared shorter.
GM won't go backwards with the 3.6L and offer a non DI in a Cadillac.
I would expect that the 3.0L and 3.6L cost is almost identical to build. Same engine with larger psitons essentially.

22velocity
03-20-11, 12:10 PM
I have had my 2011 srx for about 6 weeks,it has the 3.0 litr. Previously I had been driving a 2008 Buick Lucerne with the 3.8 litre motor,what I notice the most is that when you are about to accelerate with the srx you really have to put your foot into it just to take off. The Buick was a lot more responsive very noticeably. My lease was up on the Buick so I was not in a position to wait for a 2012. A positive with the Cadillac is that it has AWD and living here in Wisconsin it is a big improvement over the traction control in the Buick. For $40 a month more, I feel I was able to step up to a little more luxury with the cadillac. Frank

Ponyman
03-20-11, 01:02 PM
Cadillac DID put the 3.6 non DI in the CTS in 08, because I had one. They may have put it in as the standard engine in later years also I am not sure. It is a good engine, but didn't have any more horsepower than the 3.0 DI, although it probably had more torque. PJ, your4 reasonable well thought discussions are always welcome. I too hope they continue to improgve the second gen SRX. We usually keep a vehicle about three years, and will probably buy another one if GM keeps the styling fresh, and continues to improve it.

Smokin' SRX
03-20-11, 07:31 PM
Ok.... the check just cleared! LOL I always enjoy the varied opines here. Some have more credibility than others, but all are entitled to an opinion/viewpoint. How boring would it be if everyone was like me and Ponyman??? LOL I've learned so much here.......... avoided so many mistakes, and yes, yes , I still here Ponyman shouting ...TEST DRIVE!! And I cannot argue with him there! Damn.

Good points PK. Anything w/ a bit more torque would eliminate some characteristic downshifting on the new 6,7, and 8 speed tyranny's out there. (Caddy only has 6 right now)

Just a POI, my '04 V-8, RSX w/heavy glass roof (4') and AWD weighed 4500 lbs! That's same as my '10, give or take a hundred lbs.
Got about 15% less MPG than new one. Also reg gas.

SS

mm9351
06-24-11, 03:25 PM
To all who are still experiencing transmission issues e.g. multiple downshifting, hesistation, esp. in passing situations, hunting for a lower gear; etc. Cadillac has come up with an update for reprogramming the transmission control module (TCM). All I can say is that it is a VAST improvement and could not be more pleased. Much smoother driveability in all situations. Downshifts are not two or three gears too low, it's just right all the time. Plenty of power now; RPMs don't spool up as before, so I'll probably see better mpg. Really a great match for the 3.0 engine. The update campaign is for the 2010-2011 SRX - TCM reflash, calibration update WCC 18275.

Jake2010
06-24-11, 04:22 PM
To all who are still experiencing transmission issues e.g. multiple downshifting, hesistation, esp. in passing situations, hunting for a lower gear; etc. Cadillac has come up with an update for reprogramming the transmission control module (TCM). All I can say is that it is a VAST improvement and could not be more pleased. Much smoother driveability in all situations. Downshifts are not two or three gears too low, it's just right all the time. Plenty of power now; RPMs don't spool up as before, so I'll probably see better mpg. Really a great match for the 3.0 engine. The update campaign is for the 2010-2011 SRX - TCM reflash, calibration update WCC 18275.

mm9351 - you are right on time with this post, here's why...

I got my 2010 SRX in for service today and my dealership was kind enough to give me a loaner, a 2011 SRX... Nice huh!
Here's the thing, I love the way the transmission shifts on the 2011, I noticed it immediately! The car just seems faster!
It's the same configuration as mine (engine/fwd) but it's so much smoother through the gears, especially when passing!

When I hit the gas on my 2010, I get that hesitation, then the engine revving at 6500 rpm's... I have to say, I don't like it!
I definitely want to bring this to my dealers attention, and get my TCM re-flashed.

mm - what was that WCC 18275 you mentioned? Will the dealer know what to do based on that number?

Thanks,
Jake

mm9351
06-24-11, 05:01 PM
Jake - thanks - actually that was the service code on my service paperwork. I didn't inquire more on that, however ask your service manager to check for TCM calibration updates, NOT a service bulletin. They also road test the car to confirm. PS. I took some hilly back roads and saw a remarkable improvement. That was where the original shifting issues were most revealing.

Good luck, glad I could help! Let us know how you make out...

sube5186
06-25-11, 12:34 AM
Cadillac has come up with an update for reprogramming the transmission control module (TCM). All I can say is that it is a VAST improvement and could not be more pleased.

Did they do this update in response to a specific complaint from you, or did they do this on their own in conjunction with some other repair?

Sube

mm9351
06-25-11, 09:16 AM
You may not believe this, but the update was performed AT MY REQUEST, after explaining in detail what I was experiencing (see earlier post). They don't push it on you, you have to ask. Yes, that sounds a bit odd, but I guess there's a group of owners who are completely satisfied with the shifting characteristics on their SRX, accepting this as normal. Truthfully, the service manager wasn't aware of the update until he seached the TCM calibration database. I also had the passenger roof rail airbag recall performed at the same time. The entire service, including tire rotation took about 1.5 hrs.

sube5186
06-25-11, 10:17 AM
Wait, I'm a little confused. According to the article at the below link (which no longer works), the 2011 SRX from the factory has "powertrain calibration enhancements to improve acceleration feel." So you're saying they did another software update since the 2011's release?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/216615-2011-srx-powertrain-calibration-enhancements.html

Sube

mm9351
06-25-11, 10:33 AM
Sube, the link worked for me, thanks. The software update was released after the 2011 model release, though I don't have a release date. I have the 2011 model, and from what I've read, the shifting characteristics were improved over the 2010's. But, this new update addresses specific downshifting issues, hesitation and smooths out the pattern especially in passing situations. I would ask your dealer for the new update and please report back.

sube5186
06-25-11, 10:54 AM
I was referring to the link within the link. Thanks! I plan to do just that. No gripes on this end with excessive down shifting, but I have noticed the hesitation when you initially hit the accelerator. I just thought this was a natural characteristic of the engine. I didn't know they had a software upgrade to address this. I'll get it done with the next scheduled maintenance. Thanks again.

Kuya
06-25-11, 11:59 AM
EDIT: wrong post to wrong area . . . sorry

Smokin' SRX
06-25-11, 12:18 PM
Tkx MM9351 . I go in Fri for oil/rotate/inspection. I will be asking for the WCC18275 you got. I would like the tranny to smooth out the shifting a bit and am willing to try after reading these posts! Will report.

SS

Kuya
06-25-11, 01:20 PM
Just called my local dealer . . . going to get in on Friday and they will look into this.

For me, the problem I have is that there is a half second delay when I hit the gas and then the car jumps. It is not instant, like every other vehicle I have driven. I just assumed this was "natural" to the SRX . . . but it has caused me some distress out on the highway merging into heavy moving traffic. LOTS can happen in that half second when you are dealing with 5:00 traffic on a super highway.

Certainly was something I can, in time, get used to and counter with driving skill . . . but if there is a FIX or update to help this, then I want it.

The dealer told me he had not "heard of this problem" with the SRX . . and I can't believe that to be true because . . . it seems very wide spread. Anyway, I figured I might as well look into it . . . while it is under factory warranty.

At least they can verify the issue does exist in my car . .

sube5186
06-25-11, 03:13 PM
The dealer told me he had not "heard of this problem" with the SRX . . and I can't believe that to be true because . . . it seems very wide spread.

I CAN believe that. Unless they've been getting a specific complaint, they don't know about it. They're not personally notified every time there's a new service bulletin and they don't look them up unless they have a reason to. It's been my experience that they are clueless to anything that happens outside of their dealership. They live in their own little world, and it does NOT include Internet forums. Just my personal experience. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't seen them.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
06-26-11, 12:07 PM
At least we have RIPPY, LUKE, and EWILL3rd , from Caddy parts/technicians to lean on! And they advertise here!! They may not be at the Service desk, but we are very grateful for them.

The 2010 Equinox/Terrain Forum to has a Corp GM Customer Service Rep as a member. We should too. Don't honestly know if she gets a lot done, (no offense Tricia!) but seems concerned and I think I will ask her to join us. WTH.......

SS

mrl859
06-26-11, 12:25 PM
I CAN believe that. Unless they've been getting a specific complaint, they don't know about it. They're not personally notified every time there's a new service bulletin and they don't look them up unless they have a reason to. It's been my experience that they are clueless to anything that happens outside of their dealership. They live in their own little world, and it does NOT include Internet forums. Just my personal experience. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't seen them.

SubeThat's not totally correct. While the dealer may not get a written copy of each technical service bulletin (TSB) like it used to be, the dealer has access to every TSB via the manufacturer's service website. TSBs are only to be performed, typically, as a solution to a customer's concern. Most manufacturers don't instruct dealers to arbitrarily perform all applicable TSBs to every vehicle. Also, almost all TSBs do not extend warranty and are not covered for life, like a recall would be. Additionally, I think you'd be surprised how many dealer personnel are car nuts and, as such, are on forums, like this one.

stevec5375
06-26-11, 12:38 PM
I would like clarification on something. Is the TCM calibration WCC18275 only for the 2011 model or is it also for the 2010 model?

sube5186
06-26-11, 12:46 PM
Is the TCM calibration WCC18275 only for the 2011 model or is it also for the 2010 model?

I believe it's for both. At least it should be. Same exact transmission and TCM in both models.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sube

mm9351
06-26-11, 02:24 PM
Hey, seems that there is so much interest here, I probably should have started a new thread! Originally, I had mentioned this issue to my dealer on two separate occasions. The first time I was turned away because the tech who normally performs that service was off (it was on a Saturday). They did not "offer" the update when I came in for other services; I needed to keep asking for it due to "erratic shifting patterns" (mostly during passing situations). BTW, I once had my TCM reflashed on another vehicle, so this was not new to me.

Note that this service was not covered under any technical service bulletin. It was discovered when my dealer did a search for calibration updates. While I am by no means a GM service technician, trying to decode WCC I am guessing that the "W" denotes warranty and "C" for calibration.

I am so pleased I had this service done; now power delivery is smooth throughout the band, no hesitation, and it seems to always be in the right gear.

Glad to get the word out to the SRX community. :cool:

RippyPartsDept
06-26-11, 02:52 PM
Smokin' ... FYI there is a cust. svc. person on here too... Elizabeth (currently) ... and she has her own sub-forum at the top of the main forum page above all the other forums

Smokin' SRX
06-26-11, 10:46 PM
Really? I don't recall seeing her. I must be missing her every time she posts? What sub-forum do you mean?

Thx for Heads -up!

SS

RippyPartsDept
06-27-11, 01:39 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-customer-care/

used to be another person, elizabeth recently took over for him (i think his name was jeff)

that's definitely the place to post if you want to get her attention, but she does often come into other threads and offer help

Smokin' SRX
06-27-11, 09:40 AM
Tks RIPPY! I looked and saw she almost never comes to the 2nd Generation SRX Forum and that is where I surf/post. I know you have a more global vision from your Dealership of course.

But now that I and others will know she's there (I found the sub-forum under "Cadillac Forum" box, after I scrolled down a little to Customer Service) maybe we can all better utilize her. I only saw 1 of our members talk to her, but from another Caddy Forum! Thought I was nuts.............well................

LOL

SS

RippyPartsDept
06-27-11, 11:20 AM
yeah she probably should come in this forum more... maybe a gentle nudge/request for her presence more often would help

i might point her at threads like this one where she might have been able to jump in and offer some help

... or just wait until the next time you think she could be of service and post in the cust svc forum (maybe with a link to the relevant thread in this forum)

Smokin' SRX
06-27-11, 06:31 PM
Should we start a new thread informing her presence?? You can do unless that is a conflict w/job. Then I will be happy to post. Other members don't know of her either, me thinks..... Might be beneficial to someone. Anyone?

SS

RippyPartsDept
06-27-11, 09:57 PM
no conflict for me... but why don't you go ahead and make that post... i do know that you're not the first person i've come across who doesn't know about this new internet presence that GM has taken in recent years

stevec5375
06-28-11, 10:10 AM
no conflict for me... but why don't you go ahead and make that post... i do know that you're not the first person i've come across who doesn't know about this new internet presence that GM has taken in recent years

Some presence. Have they been lurking in the shadows? I rarely ever saw anyone from GM posting on here to help customers with their issues.

stevec5375
06-28-11, 10:38 AM
I'm still not clear if this transmission calibration (WCC 18275) is for the 2010 model or not. Smokin' you're the only poster that I saw who said they were going to get this done (at your Friday oil change?). Did they do it for you? I'm asking because I want to approach my dealer about this and but they are always reluctant to do anything unless there is a specific customer complaint.

1. Is this for the 2010 model?
2. What is the actual complaint?

Smokin' SRX
06-28-11, 10:40 AM
Yes, don't expect miracles, but any extra sword is welcome in a duel. I try to see the glass 3/4 Full ! LOL

SS

RippyPartsDept
06-28-11, 12:22 PM
Some presence. Have they been lurking in the shadows? I rarely ever saw anyone from GM posting on here to help customers with their issues.

533 Posts since joining march 2010
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=105125&tab=aboutme#aboutme

just over 1.10 posts per day... you're at 1.54 posts per day... not much more active than they are...

i'm just sayin'

stevec5375
06-28-11, 01:18 PM
533 Posts since joining march 2010
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=105125&tab=aboutme#aboutme

just over 1.10 posts per day... you're at 1.54 posts per day... not much more active than they are...

i'm just sayin'

Yes, but I'm not getting paid for technical support and I'm only posting to this ONE forum.

RippyPartsDept
06-28-11, 01:56 PM
are you saying that you know what their job is? and that you can do it better?
(i don't know what Elizabeth's job entails beyond what i've seen her do here but i do know that it's not technical support)

i'm not quite sure what you're getting at

Ponyman
06-28-11, 02:04 PM
I suspect that she is monitoring several different forums for GM. Maybe not just Cadillac either. Let's face it, no matter how much she posted, or monitored, the only real way to get something done is face to face with your dealer, or regional rep. Don't worry Rippy, Steve seems to be a half empty kind of guy. I however am willing to give Gm some credit. It took them a little while, but they did step up and do what they should on my 08 CTS. My SRX has been flawless except for the dreaded chrome strip, but I am sure if problems were to develop my dealer would see that they and GM took care of them.

RippyPartsDept
06-28-11, 02:18 PM
I suspect that she is monitoring several different forums for GM. Maybe not just Cadillac either. Let's face it, no matter how much she posted, or monitored, the only real way to get something done is face to face with your dealer, or regional rep. Don't worry Rippy, Steve seems to be a half empty kind of guy. I however am willing to give Gm some credit. It took them a little while, but they did step up and do what they should on my 08 CTS. My SRX has been flawless except for the dreaded chrome strip, but I am sure if problems were to develop my dealer would see that they and GM took care of them.

well i've seen a few occasions where she does help move things along with the dealer (maybe she can get the regional rep involved where the dealer is reluctant, or just doesn't)

it seems that there's not really much she can do for people who just complain but where there's an issue with a dealer she can (at the very least) note the issue that would have just fallen on deaf ears before

i also have a feeling that this online presence GM has is partly about mitigating the complaints from people who lash out online without really trying to get anything fixed

to tell you the truth i don't really feel like i can speak on her behalf and if steve, or other people have questions for her as to what her directive is here those queries are best taken up directly with her directly in the Cadillac Customer Care (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-customer-care-representatives/) forum

Smokin' SRX
06-28-11, 06:54 PM
Easy. I didn't mean to start something nasty about jobs. I've already PM her and she is receptive to coming here for a look. WTH...... anyone may need a hand and she is willing to listen! I recco something RIPPY mentioned: Go to the GM Cust Service Forum and ask her to consider your problem, when it arises, and she may post on our Forum as I've seen her do on others. A few Caddy Forums at least. May help a particular problem/concern............

Let's give it a shot....

SS

Smokin' SRX
06-28-11, 07:02 PM
I'm still not clear if this transmission calibration (WCC 18275) is for the 2010 model or not. Smokin' you're the only poster that I saw who said they were going to get this done (at your Friday oil change?). Did they do it for you? I'm asking because I want to approach my dealer about this and but they are always reluctant to do anything unless there is a specific customer complaint.

1. Is this for the 2010 model?
2. What is the actual complaint?

Friday is coming...... and they said they'd do it. Will post!

Another poster recently posted he did it and loved it. (earlier this thread) The complaints are basically that it downshifts to slowly when nailing it, and is too eager to shift on hills constantly. I suffer the first one a bit, plus less than smooth shifts at times when accelerating.

Stay tuned..........
Here is that post:

"mm9351 says....

Drives 2011 SRX AWD LUXURY Re: Disappointed - very disappointed
To all who are still experiencing transmission issues e.g. multiple downshifting, hesistation, esp. in passing situations, hunting for a lower gear; etc. Cadillac has come up with an update for reprogramming the transmission control module (TCM). All I can say is that it is a VAST improvement and could not be more pleased. Much smoother driveability in all situations. Downshifts are not two or three gears too low, it's just right all the time. Plenty of power now; RPMs don't spool up as before, so I'll probably see better mpg. Really a great match for the 3.0 engine. The update campaign is for the 2010-2011 SRX - TCM reflash, calibration update WCC 18275. "

SS

dctex99
06-28-11, 08:21 PM
Hope it works,,,it is sad that 3 months before the 2012 with the better engine comes out, that the first two are FINALLY fixed.....saw an article on Yahoo saying always buy the 3rd year as they get the bugs out! I guess the main bug is trashed, and a new engine with similar MPG and more power is coming......finally I might feel secure about buying one!!!!!

Kuya
06-28-11, 11:25 PM
I too am having it done on Friday at 9:30 am from my local Dealer. Must say he was unaware of the issue or the update, but was super nice on the phone.

My SRX does not seem to have issues changing gears on hills but it has a teeny bit of a lag when you gun it. This can, at times make merging tricky. Already I have had a few close calls because I gunned it into traffic . . . assuming I would be up and running but the small delay then punch take off had my "vehicle space timing" off . .. a split second and things change dramatically on the road.

Hoping the Friday update resolves this.

Friday is coming...... and they said they'd do it. Will post!

Another poster recently posted he did it and loved it. (earlier this thread) The complaints are basically that it downshifts to slowly when nailing it, and is too eager to shift on hills constantly. I suffer the first one a bit, plus less than smooth shifts at times when accelerating.

Stay tuned..........
Here is that post:

"mm9351 says....

Drives 2011 SRX AWD LUXURY Re: Disappointed - very disappointed
To all who are still experiencing transmission issues e.g. multiple downshifting, hesistation, esp. in passing situations, hunting for a lower gear; etc. Cadillac has come up with an update for reprogramming the transmission control module (TCM). All I can say is that it is a VAST improvement and could not be more pleased. Much smoother driveability in all situations. Downshifts are not two or three gears too low, it's just right all the time. Plenty of power now; RPMs don't spool up as before, so I'll probably see better mpg. Really a great match for the 3.0 engine. The update campaign is for the 2010-2011 SRX - TCM reflash, calibration update WCC 18275. "

SS

Smokin' SRX
06-28-11, 11:43 PM
This may be another "Good Friday" !! (couldn't resist) Good luck Fri, KUYA! Let's see who gets done first! LOL

Good luck

SS

Kuya
07-01-11, 10:55 AM
So far... Not good news. I am here at Caddy dealership and I had printed out the update code to show them.

Their tech could not find any such update. :(

Here in the waiting room as they try to look more into this. Will update back soon.

Kuya
07-01-11, 01:18 PM
Got some updates done. Definitely see some improvement. I will come back later and list the updates. We stopped in the theater to check out Transformers 3D.

Smokin' SRX
07-01-11, 02:33 PM
Hi. My Dealer also seemed lost re: update upon arrival. I firmly told him to Google it (the WCC18275) and see it for himself on our Forum! (mm9351's post! ) He asked me to give him a while and as they did oil change and rotation, and he called someone at GM and voilą! They found it! Came in as....."Update for PCM/TCM Calibration Enhancement Code , warranty code S0361". Period.

All done and a 25-35% improvement in shift speed and smoothness, both up and down! Also it no longer gives a slight surge if rowing downward in Manual Mode , from the 2nd to 1st downshift. No wonder the 2011 guys are pleased with their shifts! (although this offered to 2011 owners too? mid-year enhancement??)

I highly recco, if enjoy spirited driving especially!

THX again to MM9351 for posting original data!!

SS

PS.... I have copied the Caddy Customer Service rep on this Forum (Elizabeth. ) She is looking into more info on this.

Kuya
07-01-11, 05:58 PM
Ok, Like Smokn . . . when I got to the Dealer they had not knowledge of this 2010-2011 SRX - TCM reflash, calibration update WCC 18275.

I arrived with a print out of parts of the forum in hand . . and they still had no idea. Tech did an initial search and could not find this update at all. I explained the issues I was looking to correct, and he told me to sit tight while they check it out.

Appeared to be a slow day & only a few cars in. I think we were there the longest at 2 hours and 15 minutes. When all was said and done, he explained that they did some updates that should impact the delayed power and gears that feel lost . . . issues. This is what they did:

Engine Control Module Reprogramming with SPS
Reflashed the ECM/TCM CLAIN CODE S03C1

Upgraded 12637158 to 12646099 (New Software to enhance the operation of the engine oil life monitor to more accurately identify the required oil change interval. Replaces 12642819 (CVN = 00003F52))

12637050 To 12645105 (New Calibration with diagnostic enhancements and driveability improvements.)

12637049 TO 12642539 (New Calibration with enhanced misfire detection on startup)

12637052 TO 12642542 (New Calibration with enhanced misfire detection on startup.)

12638589 TO 12644203 (New Calibration to address customer complaint of reduced engine power).

12638585 TO 12646228 (New Calibration to enhance the operation of the engine oil life monitor to more accurately identify the required oil change interval)

12633518 TO 12638953 (New Software for start of production)

12635413 TO 12640371 (Engine)

24252573 To 24256125 (Operating System)

24255936 TO 24260130 (Address long hesitation/delays in vehicle acceleration occurring when driver coats to around 10 mph and steps into an aggressive pedal)

24253988 TO 24253630 (System)

These are the updates that were done on my 2010 SRX today. Overall I see a great improvement. The car no longer feels like it totally skipped out when I need power. . there is no hesitation anymore. I did not notice nearly as much of the transmission feeling "lost" changing gears on hills, or anywhere else.

I am glad I got over there and inquired on this . . . thanks to everyone here.

RippyPartsDept
07-01-11, 06:16 PM
ok cool... now that we've got that out of the way, why don't you answer the question that's on all our minds:

how
was
http://awards.paramountpictures.com/transformers/images/transformers.jpg
? ? ? ?

Kuya
07-01-11, 06:39 PM
HAHAHA . . . It was two and a half ours of Graphical BLISS !!! Amazing graphics and well worth seeing . . . plot was OK . . but graphics are certainly the highlight of the show!!

ok cool... now that we've got that out of the way, why don't you answer the question that's on all our minds:

how
was
http://awards.paramountpictures.com/transformers/images/transformers.jpg
? ? ? ?

qball
07-01-11, 06:45 PM
My GCM Acadia did it...my new Toyota 4-runner does it. Our 2.8 SRX turbo does not! It is the nature of these OD transmissions coupled with heavy/high horsepower/low torque engines. With the exception of the 2.8 trubo SRX, the only way I've gotten around this annoying problem is to drive the automatic shift in manual mode.

mm9351
07-01-11, 09:44 PM
Glad to read the reviews are glowing over the TCM reflash!

One week later and my SRX drives amazing (not that it was ever "poor") - just a lot more driving enjoyment!

Surge and hesitation virtually non-existent. Power delivery is smooth and plentiful. Though I just turned 7500 miles, the car is behaving like a totally different animal.

I knew getting this update - and more importantly getting the word out - would be "big" news - good luck to all!

dctex99
07-02-11, 12:20 AM
dctex..............GMJim did pretty well on his trade-in.

Second, let's not forget what the 2010 makeover did for the Second Generation SRX, including the two smaller engines which were selected for the Second Generation vehicle. Folks were unhappy with the First Generation fuel mileage even though it was as good or better than much of the competitive crossovers out there, and pretty good actually for a 4,250-4,450 pound vehicle.

Third, with the Second Generation SRX prices came down and sales vaulted. And the 2.8T was there for those who wanted or needed the extra horsepower and torque, albeit with a $3,800 price tag to get it. That was no different than the First Generation SRX owners trying to decide between the 3.6L V6 and the 4.6L Northstar V8.

Personally, with the Second Generation SRX I would rather make the $3,800 "mistake" by selecting the turbo and be whining about it's cost (to acquire and to run) rather than risk being dissatisfied with the base engine's performance. Personal preference, nothing more.

We have to live with our choices every time we turn the key in the ignition. At the end of the day, the additional cost just isn't worth it for most, and they are perfectly happy with the 3.0L as this forum's tone indicates. Granted, the base 3.0L is a tad light on power for some folks tastes or for some applications. But I think we have to agree that, by and large, the market has strongly embraced the SecondGen SRX in a way they did not embrace FirstGen SRX. And I own the FirstGen SRX.

Fourth.....there is no substitute for thoroughly test driving one's short list of vehicles before making a purchase, checking out features, comfort, and performance. For me that means my wife needs to be on board before we pull the trigger since both of us will be driving the vehicle for some time. A quick buy followed by dissatisfaction can be either a long-term disappointment if one chooses to keep the vehicle. Or one has to decide to eat the depreciation and trade for something else, perhaps an expensive proposition.

Personally, the RX350 does nothing for me. But there is not a lot there to dislike about the RX, the undisputed sales leader in this market niche five years running, and by a large margin. My personal preferences include appearance differentiation. You can spot an SRX in a sea of Crossovers and SUVs. That is why the RX got eliminated from my short list.......that, and it was down on power for my tastes.

I feel bad for Gronk and those who are unhappy with their choice of engines because their way out has a price tag I wouldn't want to take on. When I was young and in the market for my very first car, my father warned me about buying something as expensive as a car that I would be unhappy with day to day and over time.

PJThe big hit comes after the 2012's come out and we see how superior they are..Good Luck...

Smokin' SRX
07-02-11, 12:37 AM
Glad to read the reviews are glowing over the TCM reflash!

One week later and my SRX drives amazing (not that it was ever "poor") - just a lot more driving enjoyment!

Surge and hesitation virtually non-existent. Power delivery is smooth and plentiful. Though I just turned 7500 miles, the car is behaving like a totally different animal.

I knew getting this update - and more importantly getting the word out - would be "big" news - good luck to all!

You should start a new thread, just on the tranny re-flash and some brief info gleaned from here! Yes?

SS

Ponyman
07-02-11, 09:17 AM
Despite what our expert, dctex, says, and he doesn't even own a new generation SRX. The 10's and 11's will hold thier value aftr the 2012 comes out. The vast majority of people don't care wht engine a car has, they just know they want something that looks good, and all the NEW generation SRx's have the SAMe look. These glass half empty guys on this forum amaze me.

stevec5375
07-02-11, 09:56 AM
Despite what our expert, dctex, says, and he doesn't even own a new generation SRX. The 10's and 11's will hold thier value aftr the 2012 comes out. The vast majority of people don't care wht engine a car has, they just know they want something that looks good, and all the NEW generation SRx's have the SAMe look. These glass half empty guys on this forum amaze me.

Glad you're amazed. Unfortunately, it just means that we'll have to continue reading more of your diatribes about glasses being half full or empty and the ad nauseum "life is short" line. If you don't like the posts that people make, my humble suggestion is keep it to yourself because it doesn't do any good to chastise someone like a parent.

Clearly your ego is very easily bruised when you perceive anything as critical or negative about a car YOU OWN. I'm sure it's safe to assume that if it was a car you hated, you would just chime in with your own negativity.

Do you ever post anything helpful or just your "opinions"?

Smokin' SRX
07-02-11, 10:52 AM
Guys, you're waisting your time. People will post what they will. Trust me , we all know what to ignore, what to appreciate, and what to chuckle at. 2 bright guys like you 2 have better things to do than verbally duel every week. I read all your opines and then decide what to embrace/ditch. You might want to do same with me. I don't mind! LOL

Funny, but if one of you guys saw the other guys SRX, pulled over on the road, you'd be the first guys to stop and try to help each other! Don't say No, cause we won't believe it!!

Have a Happy 4th! Wish you both a safe and happy with your friends and loved ones. Thanks to all you Service Members! Thank God we have a Country like this to celebrate.

SS

RippyPartsDept
07-02-11, 02:18 PM
http://m.friendfeed-media.com/ee6e5342ddc81c886e48cf13cdc243219677c0f9

Ponyman
07-03-11, 06:17 PM
Actually, since they make you so happy, Steve, I will keep posting just for your benefit. Looking back, I can say that my posts areat least as helpful as the drivel you post. That's not saying very much. So, Steve, happy 4th, and if you aren't smart enough to put me on ignore, then keep on reading. As for you, you are going back on my ignore list where you belong, and not being the computer genius that you are I don't know how you got off my ignore list, but I can remedy that right now. Every one else I hope you have a safe and happty 4th, and Rippy I turthfully can say that all of your help, and there has been a lot of it, is VERY appreciated. If I ever need anything I will contact you since one of my dealers few shortcomings is that their parts department charges full list price for everything.

stevec5375
07-03-11, 11:11 PM
Pony, (should have been JackAss) Thank Gawd I'm going back on your ignore list. At least that will be fewer ignorant retorts I have to read. The question is, will you be able to resist the clicking of the View Post link even though you are "ignoring" me. LOL! I rather doubt it since you learn so much from my observations about your poor social skills. And since you are so convinced that your posts are equal to my "drivel", perhaps we should start a poll on that. The only thing I see as drivel on my part is that I succumb to lowering myself to your level and bother to even respond to your childishness. So if you are indeed ignoring me, I can only hope that I don't have to read any more senseless posts from you. As they say: Hope springs eternal!

GMJim
07-04-11, 08:16 AM
:gg:

stevec5375
07-04-11, 09:01 AM
You know I recall a time when GMJim got all bent out of shape anytime someone criticized the SRX. Then he bailed on his (Imagine that!). Yet, he continues to hang out here and help stir the pot on posts. One has to wonder why?

Ponyman
07-04-11, 02:31 PM
For all you other folks, I apologize for making you read about mine and Steve's intense personal dislike for one another. That won't happen again, as I have him once more on ignore, and will be able to see that he is squeaking some kind of drivel, but not what about. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Rolex
07-04-11, 02:50 PM
Knock off the pissing match...pretty please. :rules:

Ponyman
07-04-11, 05:34 PM
You got it Rolex

Kuya
07-04-11, 11:27 PM
Quick update . . . and intent on changing the subject . .

Now, a few days after the system updates from the dealer, and a full weekend of driving (both on highway and off) I can officially say that I LOVE driving the SRX!!

The power is there every time I need it and whenever I need it. No hesitation, no lag, no confusion for the transmission trying to find where to belong on hills. It has made a tremendous driving improvement.

When driving on the highway this weekend, it was a snap to merge and pass . .

If anyone feels that they have that split second delay . . . I highly recommend you go in to the dealer and ask for the system updates.

You may want to bring the list of updates I posted, because when I went in with the original recommended system update code, my dealer had no clue.

Smokin' SRX
07-05-11, 01:29 AM
dittos KUYA! big diff!

SS

Ponyman
07-05-11, 11:28 AM
You guys are making me want to have the updates done on mine. My car seems fine, but maybe it could be better. I will print out the updates and try to get them done at my next oil change.

GMJim
07-07-11, 02:53 PM
You guys are making me want to by my SRX back.............................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GMJim
07-07-11, 03:11 PM
You know I recall a time when GMJim got all bent out of shape anytime someone criticized the SRX. Then he bailed on his (Imagine that!). Yet, he continues to hang out here and help stir the pot on posts. One has to wonder why?

Trouble Maker,
I still get bent out of shape. I stand up for my company I work for, don't you?
I didn't think so.
Yup, I bailed alright. Bailed right into an AWESOME Caddy Wagon!!!!! With A/C that actually works.
Imagine that!!!!

There are some who post here, and don't even own a Caddy. Direct your energy at them.
Unlike you, I have created friendships here. Where does it say you must own a SRX to post here?
It won't be long, so many will have you ignored, you will be posting to yourself.
I guess it time for another prescription of nice pills from Sal. I guess you didn't learn much from the last episode.

:gg:

PJ1520
07-07-11, 03:51 PM
Now that you guys have stoked my memory, did anyone ever come up with a fix for the GenII air conditioning problems that were the topic of conversation for some a few months ago?? Think it was confined to the 2010s.

PJ

RippyPartsDept
07-07-11, 04:47 PM
by the way, that A/C problem w/ the SRX is still causing problems
we're doing two today actually (the first two since we did a couple back when the vehicle first hit the showrooms)
gotta replace the condenser, accumulator/dryer, compressor, exp. valve, and add in some extra filter or something (that filter part is actually really hard to get right now - we've had to source it from other dealers)

PJ, i'm almost certain there is a bulletin/TSB on this

sube5186
07-07-11, 11:15 PM
by the way, that A/C problem w/ the SRX is still causing problems
we're doing two today actually (the first two since we did a couple back when the vehicle first hit the showrooms)
gotta replace the condenser, accumulator/dryer, compressor, exp. valve, and add in some extra filter or something (that filter part is actually really hard to get right now - we've had to source it from other dealers)

PJ, i'm almost certain there is a bulletin/TSB on this

What exactly are the symptoms of this A/C problem? Are they doing this fix across the board, or do you need to be experiencing problems first? Mine seems to be working normally right now. But I have really low mileage and I'm worried the A/C might bomb right after the warranty expires. Thanks!

Sube

GMJim
07-08-11, 08:34 AM
Sube, They came from the factory that way. Mine blew cool at best. Most of the time warm. Once in a great while, cold. Very frustrating to say the least. You don't have anything to worry about if it's
working properly, currently. Relax, and enjoy your ride.

Remember, don't let this forum freak you into problems you don't have.

Jim

sube5186
07-08-11, 10:44 AM
Sube, They came from the factory that way. Mine blew cool at best. Most of the time warm. Once in a great while, cold. Very frustrating to say the least. You don't have anything to worry about if it's
working properly, currently. Relax, and enjoy your ride.

Remember, don't let this forum freak you into problems you don't have.

Jim

Thanks Jim. That's kinda what I needed to hear. My primary concern was the problem Esquire had below. Were these bags not properly secured from the factory? Did they redesign them? Would you happen to know?

You're so right. I have to remind myself not to freak out over problems I DON'T have. Sometimes I find myself watching and waiting for things to go wrong. Those are the times I have to take a break from the forum and get back to enjoying my ride. :bouncy:

They have not said exactly. Originally I was told the the desiccant bag came apart and the desiccant ran through the system and screwed up the compressor and several other major components.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/198051-c-major-issue-service-tag.html

Sube

GMJim
07-08-11, 11:24 AM
Sube,
The prob Esquire was talking about still came from the factory, not an after the fact event.
Talking to HVAC Egineers, the desiccant bag would break, and would contaminate the entire system. That prob was rectified early on. Only a handful of vehicles were affected. I happened to be one of the unfortunate ones, and the dealership did not know what to do at the time to fix it right, thus one of the main reasons i'm chilln' in a wagon. I'm sorry, "bailed" to a wagon.

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 11:38 AM
yeah of the hundred or so SRX's we've sold i think 4 were initially affected and 2 more now that never noticed

the original accumulator/dryer is part of the condenser and the new style separates the two and adds the filter in case it happens again

sube5186
07-08-11, 12:57 PM
The original accumulator/dryer is part of the condenser and the new style separates the two and adds the filter in case it happens again

So, did the design change "during" the 2010 production, or did they not change this until the 2011 model?

Sube

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 01:05 PM
not sure, but the ones that have the problem show it pretty much right away

sube5186
07-08-11, 01:11 PM
OK, thanks for the info.

smiley47
07-08-11, 04:04 PM
Not to beat a dead horse but my SRX perks along cool enough to hang beef when it's 105* or hotter here in AZ. I keep the temperature settings at 72* year round and never need to touch them. My build date was 1-05-2010. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I did however have a cracked coolant reservoir a couple of weeks ago. Once they got the reservior exposed (it's behind and below the battery) it was no biggie. They over-nighted the new reservior and she was back in service by 1 PM the next day. One of very few issues after 24,000 miles.

Ponyman
07-08-11, 04:36 PM
It was 107 here in Southern Oklahoma yesterday, and my wife had no complaints. Guess we too are lucky. Usually on the few occasions we are in the car together, she is turning the temp on her side up, and I am turning mine down. It is great to have zone airconditioning.

GMJim
07-08-11, 05:28 PM
Now just imagine getting in your vehicle when it's 107, and the A/C blows warm at best no matter what setting you put it on.
By the time you reach your destination you are drenched. One from no A/C, and two, being
so blankity blankn' mad at your pride and joy.
Love your air. Air is good.

Kuya
07-10-11, 12:55 AM
Hey Smokin,

I am noticing one thing. Since my System Updates, my MPG has gone down a bit. Used to get 19 to 22 MPG on the average. Now, I am averaging about 17 - 20 MPG on the average.

To be honest, I would rather have the loss of MPG and have the power !! But some may prefer the extra few miles. Gas aint cheap these days!!

Are you noticing anything similar?

dittos KUYA! big diff!

SS

Smokin' SRX
07-10-11, 09:20 PM
I have too few miles so far to say, but I posted in this thread early on that when I did the same to my Buick Enclave I saw a approx 1-2 MPG loss. It simply revs more quickly when the tranny changes gears nicely! No bogs=less MPG. I fear you are correct but I know I am enjoying my better shifts and def contributing to the loss...

Shoof
07-14-11, 05:33 PM
Hey all, first time posting, and first time GM owner. Figured I would chime in on this topic...

When I got married, my wife inherited my car, went from a '01 Lexus GS to an '05 G35x, and then wanted a small SUV. In 2006 I got her a new BMW X3 3.0 lease. She loved the car. I liked it too, but mostly because it was a BMW, not because it was an X3. If she had one complaint about that car, it was that it drove heavy, but when you asked it to go, it would promptly comply. My wife gets attached to cars, so me to get her to jump into these cars wasn't such an easy feat.

2 years later, when the BMW lease was up, I got her an '08 Acura RDX. She still missed the BMW, but liked the fact that it felt light on it's feet (lighter than the BMW, and the turbo definitely made a difference). Her only complaint with that car was the (turbo) lag at initial throttle tip-in, but once the car was moving there was ample power everywhere.

Fast forward 3 years later, time for another car, and we were jumping around between a few options. The new X3 (way too expensive), the MB GLK350 (not the prettiest, but there was a great deal), and I mentioned an SRX. I'm in the car business, I'm an independent dealer and lease broker, so I deal with every make and model, and usually have the opportunity to drive many of these cars when delivering them to customers. I delivered an SRX to a customer in which I drove to them (from NY) to their home near Atlantic City, NJ. I loved the interior and the features offered. The power felt "OK", but then again I couldn't get a great feel for it because 99% of my drive was on the highway going 70-80mph, plus I don't beat on other people's cars. I kept it in the back of my head as a vehicle to consider, and here we are. The features were what made my wife consider the SRX more so than the next option, which was the GLK(the price was REALLY good, but I couldn't find exactly what she wanted, and she didn't like the way it looked so much).

A friend of mine has an SRX Performance (not sure if it was a '10 or '11), so I asked him if I can show it to her. I took her to his work so she can drive it. She elected not to. She just sat in the car and looked around a little. I told her to drive it, she said "it's ok". So I pursue the car, of course my sources don't have the color she wants, but he was able to trade for it, a Mocha Steel with Shale/Light Brownstone Luxury SRX AWD. I bring it home to her and we go driving around. No complaints so far. Once she started driving it more, that's where the complaints started. "I feel like I'm driving a minivan" was one, mostly because she's driving something a bit bigger than what she's used to. "Why does everything look like a Transformers logo?" was another. Her last complaint was how weak the engine felt. I would have to agree with her, though being that i'm more of a "driver", I can find ways to efficiently eek out the maximum power when needed so it's not as bad for me as it is for her. The car is refined, don't get me wrong. The engine is smooth and quiet, the transmission shifts seamlessly (I didn't notice any transmission hopping/jumping, my car probably has whatever software update you guys speak of), though the only thing I do notice about the transmission is how eager it is to get to the highest possible gear as quickly as possible, to maximize fuel efficiency. This is something I'm aware of and can understand, but for my wife is annoying to her.

In closing, for this crossover to be "perfect", I think it needs that 3.6 DI motor - BAD. I know that the '12 will have it, but we wanted to take advantage of a deal that probably won't be on the '12 when it's out, and she didn't want to extend her Acura lease any longer. I just hope she gets used to it and gets over it, because I won't hear the end of it from her...:crybaby:

stevec5375
07-14-11, 06:23 PM
What an interesting story. I took mine to the shop on Tuesday and one of my "requests" was the transmission "fix". I still don't have my car back yet and it's making me very nervous as to what kind of shape it will be in when it's returned to me. My dealership hasn't instilled me with confidence yet.

jbsharpe
07-14-11, 08:18 PM
Hate to say that my A/C is working just fine here in Portland, Oregon, but the high today was only 69 degrees. Supposed to get to 75 tomorrow. Sorry to those that are baking in the rest of the country. Haven't needed to use my butt cooler yet on my SRX as well...

Shoof
07-14-11, 08:31 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, the other day I jumped in the car, air conditioning set to "auto" mode, and it was blowing warm air, with the a/c compressor on. She started fiddling with the buttons until after about 2-3 mins, the compressor kicked in and started blowing cold air.

Normal?

Kuya
07-15-11, 11:49 AM
Not normal on mine. Air is ice cold and almost instant. Of course if I auto-start the car it tends to get cooler but not ice cold until the car actually starts to move. But once the car is rolling, it really is super cold and fast. I have my auto temp set at 65.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the other day I jumped in the car, air conditioning set to "auto" mode, and it was blowing warm air, with the a/c compressor on. She started fiddling with the buttons until after about 2-3 mins, the compressor kicked in and started blowing cold air.

Normal?

stevec5375
07-15-11, 02:34 PM
One of the things I have noticed about the A/C system in the SRX as compared to previous Japanese cars I've own is the way the thermostat works. In my previous Infinitis, I could set the thermostat at the temperature I wanted the system to maintain, such as 72. When I started the Infiniti, the air would blow very hard and get very cold to rapidly cool down the interior and then the fan would slow down to keep it that way. However, on the SRX, if I set it at 72, the starting fan speed is not the maximum fan speed and the only way I can get it is to either manually bump up the fan speed with the fan speed control, or set the temperature way down to 60-something. I even have the normal fan speed configured to be at high.

It seems that the SRX climate control is all out of whack to me. Why should I have to lower the temp in order to get the max fan speed for rapid cool off on extremely hot days (104 outside temp)?

RippyPartsDept
07-15-11, 03:29 PM
My 1999 Deville acts the way you describe the imports. Fan goes faster when the temp difference is greater and slows as the desired and actual temp get closer

Kuya
07-16-11, 12:05 AM
Maybe I am dreaming . . . I could be wrong because now that I am thinking about it, I am starting to doubt myself:

I thought that when my AC is set to AUTO . . and I start my SRX, it goes on high (on warm days) to cool the car down at the fastest rate possible to the set temperature of 68. As I drive . . the fan becomes slower and slower once the temperature levels off. I thought this was happening, but now I am wondering if it is all in my head lol.

I will have to check again tomorrow and see if this actually happens.

One of the things I have noticed about the A/C system in the SRX as compared to previous Japanese cars I've own is the way the thermostat works. In my previous Infinitis, I could set the thermostat at the temperature I wanted the system to maintain, such as 72. When I started the Infiniti, the air would blow very hard and get very cold to rapidly cool down the interior and then the fan would slow down to keep it that way. However, on the SRX, if I set it at 72, the starting fan speed is not the maximum fan speed and the only way I can get it is to either manually bump up the fan speed with the fan speed control, or set the temperature way down to 60-something. I even have the normal fan speed configured to be at high.

It seems that the SRX climate control is all out of whack to me. Why should I have to lower the temp in order to get the max fan speed for rapid cool off on extremely hot days (104 outside temp)?

stevec5375
07-16-11, 09:32 AM
Maybe I am dreaming . . . I could be wrong because now that I am thinking about it, I am starting to doubt myself:

I thought that when my AC is set to AUTO . . and I start my SRX, it goes on high (on warm days) to cool the car down at the fastest rate possible to the set temperature of 68. As I drive . . the fan becomes slower and slower once the temperature levels off. I thought this was happening, but now I am wondering if it is all in my head lol.

I will have to check again tomorrow and see if this actually happens.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that one should not have to set the temp at some very low number to get maximum cooling in a very hot car. If I set it at 72 I would expect it to act the same as someone setting it at 68. The only difference should be how long the fan runs on max until it slows down. Clearly it should reach 72 and slow down before it would reach 68 and do the same.

Try this: Make sure your on the Auto setting then lower the temp to 68. After the fan starts blow hard use the fan speed control and increase the speed. Could you increase it? Then that means that it was not automatically set at the highest speed.

Razorecko
07-16-11, 09:44 AM

Normal?

Had the same issue. Had to remote start the car to get it to blow cold. Was very pissed off because i had my 3 month old in the backseat and it was near 100f on the index. Gm is very lucky I got it to work. If issues keep ocurring i might try to convince the wife to trade in on a new 2012 jeep srt8 =)

inspectorudy
07-22-11, 06:16 PM
I have a 3.0 2011 SRX and very pleased with it. I sold my Porsche 930 turbo and have not regretted it for one minute. I have owned two turbo cars and will never own one again. The turbos are the weak link in the drive train and cost a fortune to replace. They do give you the torque that the 3.0 doesn't have but you will pay up front with the $3800 and you will pay again when the turbo craps out. The only thing that will save it is to let it cool down after a hot drive BEFORE you shut the engine down. They make engine oil circulators to continue the oil circulation after the engine has been shut down to keep the turbo oil from "Cooking" and becoming sludge. I hope you that have the turbo enjoy it but take care to get a long life from it.

RippyPartsDept
07-22-11, 06:26 PM
Isn't that what 'turbo timers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer)' are for?

inkostea
07-22-11, 08:46 PM
Hi- I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I leased my 2011 FWD Luxury Collection vehicle in December. Noticed the gulps and thought it was me that had to adapt. Then I recently stumbled on this forum and thread and first went in for a recall and asked to look at the TCM notes. They fixed the side air bag (recall) but didn't do anything about the TCM. Then, of course its 100 degrees here in NYC and the air doesn't work. I scheduled an appointment and this time came armed with copied info from this thread. Got the car back a little while ago and , wala, no gulps better response. So, again. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I hope to contribute to this board often (even though I'm no mechanic).

PS--The air is better but still sucks. No way it's 62 degrees. And, the back, where my daughter sits, hardly blows when I have it on auto full blast. Get this: The service rep said it was low on freon. A BRAND
NEW CADDY. unbelievable.

GMJim
07-22-11, 11:43 PM
The service rep said it was low on freon.

Don't settle for that. That is what I was told. Mine sucked at best.
It's far beyound freon.

mrl859
07-24-11, 10:02 AM
Isn't that what 'turbo timers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer)' are for?Or just letting it idle for a minute or two after a high boost run? Under normal driving conditions, the turbo should not get hot enough to worry about and oil coking in the turbo should be a non issue.

RippyPartsDept
07-24-11, 08:46 PM
'should' being the operative word there...

mrl859
07-26-11, 10:34 PM
Considering Cadillac warrants it for five years and 100k without any type of turbo timer, I personally think it's much ado about nothing. I've owned turbo cars for a combined total of 24 years. I never added any device to cool down the turbo. If I had just run hot laps at Willow Springs, I let it idle for a few minutes. During normal day to day driving, that wasn't necessary. I think the single most important factor is ONLY run full synthetic oil. I had installed a drain plug/temperature sending unit in the oil pan of my SVO. Running in 100 degree weather, the oil temperature in the bottom of the pan would achieve 240 degrees after three laps at Willow. Same conditions with Mobil 1, it never got above 210, no matter how many laps I ran. Turbo timers, IMO, are for 18 year olds to feel like Racer X.

TheCaptain
07-27-11, 12:31 AM
Yea, this 3.0L could use a pinch more torque below 2000 RPM. But it hauls once you get going! And gets great economy too! :D And the brakes are beefy enough to slow you down good!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/SRX%20Mods/Moosomin-20110716-00141.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/SRX%20Mods/Moosomin-20110716-00142.jpg

Smokin' SRX
07-27-11, 10:07 AM
Damn Capt, you are living good in Canada! LOL

The SRX looks so capable in front of those babies! Enjoy.

SS

TheCaptain
07-27-11, 01:42 PM
Thanks Smokin! The SRX is very capable of towing these units, just with a bit more tip in on the throttle. :D

GMJim
07-27-11, 02:51 PM
Enjoy Captain. Don't the lake freeze the first of August up dare?

TheCaptain
07-27-11, 04:09 PM
Aww c'mon Jim, you're killing me!:rofl: ...But then, maybe that's why i'm headed to Vegas for two weeks at the beginning of August! :D

Gronk
08-20-11, 02:31 PM
Here we go again!!!! I took my 2010 SRX into my dealer for routine service and asked them to flash the TCM as per the recent posts here. After the service manager pulled up the VIN on my car, he stated that that update was not listed as a "to do item". They then stated they would not do the update, even though I provided them with copies of the info from this forum. I guess I will have to try some other GM dealers. Oh Well!

Where is our GM adviser when I need her?

RippyPartsDept
08-20-11, 03:01 PM
what you need to do is contact your service dept with concerns regarding the shifting of the transmission

if you convey the correct key words to them they will find the TSB and think that they have actually done the hard work of figuring this one out
(meanwhile you can smile happily knowing you did all the groundwork on this one, but let them feel like they did it all)

if you just come in and say 'hey i want this update done' they're not going to do it
you have to have a concern that gets them to pull up the TSB based on the words you are using to describe the problem
they will search the TSB database and if you use the correct words/phrase it will come up

Here's the only TSB i could find that ends up with a transmission reprogram

Some customers may comment on a hesitation or sag when the vehicle is coasting at approximately 16 km/h (10 mph) with no throttle input and then the throttle is applied past 50% TPS.
PI#0238B

it doesn't sound like exactly what you're talking about but it does end up getting a TCM reprogramming

stevec5375
08-20-11, 03:55 PM
Here we go again!!!! I took my 2010 SRX into my dealer for routine service and asked them to flash the TCM as per the recent posts here. After the service manager pulled up the VIN on my car, he stated that that update was not listed as a "to do item". They then stated they would not do the update, even though I provided them with copies of the info from this forum. I guess I will have to try some other GM dealers. Oh Well!

Where is our GM adviser when I need her?

How strange. You have a weird service dept. I went in with printouts from this forum showing what was done for other people and mine was done without question. One of the things that Rippy points out is they may need a reason to fix it for warranty purposes to satisfy GM. That why I also complained to them that my transmission was switching gears wildly on mild inclines when the cruise control was engaged. And that it bogged down something awful when I was going up very steep upgrades before it finally figured out that a downshift was needed.

Gronk
09-05-11, 03:41 AM
Hey finally! I found a Cadi dealer (150 miles away) who was willing to deal. I traded in my 2010 SRX for a new 2012 SRX. I was able to obtain low Blue book for the 2010 (which was more than any other dealer that I talked to). I use "TrueCar" on the web to get all of the correct prices for any particular vehicle. You are able to get the MSRP, the Invoice price, and the real price the dealer pays. TrueCar also has a free buying service, which in this case, offered a price of $100 over Invoice. Best deal I could find. In this instance, it was about $1700 off MSRP. I feel I obtained a good deal and it was the best I could find anywhere. I am a happy camper. What a difference the 2012 is!!! Nice to have the additional power; interior much quieter; ride is better, less harsh; and many more changes.
Haven't had the car long enough to ascertain any gas mileage numbers yet, but so far don't see much change from the 2010. The 2012 is a marked change!

Andy_TN
09-05-11, 11:13 PM
Glad I read thru this entire thread - our #1 complaint with our 2010 is horrible shifting patterns / lack of torque. I look forward to taking it in for this "update" when I return.

Secondly, just to add another data point - we also encountered this A/C issue. Occasionally, on very hot days (in Miami) it would not blow cold. Not every time though, and I thought for sure that they would not be able to reproduce the problem and not be able to do anything about it. To my surprise, they actually did locate the problem and it took them almost a week to fix! (IIRC it was the condenser, don't have the paperwork in front of me) No worries though, we enjoyed the CTS wagon loaner :)

At any rate, if we could just get our Nav to acquire the sat signal on startup and know where its "home" is - w'd have no complaints! That's a whole 'nother thread though....

inkostea
09-07-11, 08:29 AM
Second the last poster. Condenser FTW. getting a loaner. Once that's fixed, combined with the shifting tech update (indeed, fixed prob) should have my car back in tip-top shape. Now if I can only find a way to get that super glue off the seat.

Thanks again. Invaluable forum!

Jake2010
09-07-11, 09:50 AM
Second the last poster. Condenser FTW. getting a loaner. Once that's fixed, combined with the shifting tech update (indeed, fixed prob) should have my car back in tip-top shape. Now if I can only find a way to get that super glue off the seat.

Thanks again. Invaluable forum!

Looking to get my trans software updated in October when going in for an oil change. I had a 2011 SRX loaner at last oil change and as I mentioned earlier, the 2011 shifted great! When shifting correctly the 3.0 has very good power, can't wait to have it done!

Concerning the super glue on the leather seat... I heard nail polish remover also dissolves super glue. I AM NOT telling you to try it, but just want to give you an idea so you can do some research on google.

Good Luck!

sube5186
09-07-11, 12:38 PM
Concerning the super glue on the leather seat... I heard nail polish remover also dissolves super glue. I AM NOT telling you to try it, but just want to give you an idea so you can do some research on google.

Good Luck!

True, nail polish remover will remove super glue. However, nail polish remover contains acetone. Acetone is one of the active ingredients in PAINT REMOVER. So, while it will remove the super glue, it may remove the dye from the leather as well. If you decide to use it, blot (don't wipe) it off of the surface as soon as the super glue starts to dissolve. Try this method on a piece of scrap leather first to see how it works. If you're not in a gambling mood, you might be better off just leaving it as is. At least the super glue is probably clear, which is less noticeable than a light spot where there used to be color.

Sube

halp
10-21-11, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know when in 2011 they put in the new transmission calibration at the factory? I have a 2011 that was built in June of 2011.
Shifting is pretty smooth, but I do seem to get some lag when I step into it at low speeds.
Thanks