: Issue's getting a Carfax report in Glasgow, Scotland - Please help

John P
03-15-11, 04:12 PM
Hi there,

Im currently in the middle of negotiations with an Import company on buying a 2004 Escalade.

As with all cars, Your best getting your own Carfax or HPi as its known in the UK.

I've been trying for the last 24 hours to complete a Carfax report on it but because im not a US resident I dont fit the criteria.

Its fresh to the UK so I only have the VIN (1GYEK63N84R234764) and the US registration plate (5UKB215).

I know most of you will not have a clue as you won't ever come across this problem but i'm lost on what to do now.

Thanks for any help.


03-15-11, 04:26 PM
I have no idea of how to get a CARFAX printout in the UK - but know that the system is voluntary - the only items required to be reported to the data gathering agency are emissions check results and ownership - registration - changes.

For a full list of GM services performed on the car, take the VIN to a GM dealer and ask them to get the old VIS (it has a new acronym) - a report from the central GM database of all warranty, recall, and service work performed. The information is not privileged - it's in the public domain.

(Hello ! from a MacLean of Duart descendant..............)

John P
03-15-11, 04:36 PM
Ahhh, I wasn't aware of that. Is there any mandatory databases that can tell me Accident History, Stolen/Recovered status etc?

I'm not sure where my nearest GM dealer is. Do you think a HUMMER dealer would be able to do it for me?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it's hard with it being a foreign issue.

(And Hello to you too, Nice to know.)

03-15-11, 04:51 PM
There are two primary vehicle check services that we use here. One is Carfax, the other is Autocheck.com. The nice thing about Carfax is that in addition to reporting accidents and other vehicle incidents (theft, flood), Carfax also lists out services at any GM dealership that reports them. Or for that matter, ANY service garage that reports to Carfax.

However, your primary concern should be accident and flood data, and both Carfax and Autocheck have access to nearly identical databases. If a police report was taken in 95 percent of jurisdictions in the United States, that information will be reported on both. If the vehicle was repaired through an insurance claim that will also be there most of the time. If a vehicle was declared a total loss for a flooding event, both report that and in addition Carfax gives a caution when a vehicle was registered in a flood prone area. Of course the reason you can't depend on entirely on either of these services, is that it's not unusual to have an accident that never got reported to anyone for various reasons and was fixed by a less than competent individual or shop that doesn't report either.

I would try for the Autocheck and see if you are able to purchase that from outside the United States. Otherwise, you will need to find a way to pay someone you know in the U.S., or worse case, the import/export person himself, to run one and send it to you. If he has nothing to hide, he should have no problem with this.

John P
03-15-11, 05:11 PM
Very, very helpful.

Like I said to Jim above, Thanks for taking the time. Helps me out alot as this place is my last hope really.


John P
03-15-11, 06:29 PM
In just over an hour, With nothing less than fantastic help from Submariner409 and Chris from Rippy Cadillac, I've now got this sorted out.

Cannot thank these guys enough and for their help for someone who is no more than a stranger to both of them.

Fantastic guys, Your both a credit to the forum.

I will become a supporting member due to these guys.

Thanks again!