: My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture

Speedygman
03-15-11, 12:34 AM
I just finished up my installation of my NorthStar Performance Head Stud kit. All went well. Shipped heads and cams off to Cadillac Hot Rod Fabrication to have a little work done on them. Installed New front cover, polished aluminum. Big thanks to Jake.
Grady

97EldoCoupe
03-15-11, 12:42 AM
Nice - very nice! :thumbsup:

jordan00escalade
03-15-11, 03:45 AM
Oh you fancy huh?

Submariner409
03-15-11, 09:23 AM
Grady, Nice work for an old fart.................:sneaky:

Go up to my album ^^^ (red Seville) and take a look at one of my Olds 455's.

ejguillot
03-15-11, 09:39 AM
Pretty! What is this Northstar going into?

JoeTahoe
03-15-11, 09:51 AM
Sweet!!!!

Speedygman
03-15-11, 10:01 AM
I already have a NorthStar in my 32 Vicky and I wanted to up the ante to the HORSE POWER some where around 450 or so to keep up with the younger folks. Car weight is 2600 pounds, 55 percent on rear wheels, runs 13:98 in quarter mile now and has always gotten 30 miles to the gallon with a 3:70 rear gear. I would like to run in the high 12 second range for a good street car. I have put 46,000 miles on the NorthStar that was a used engine when I got it in 1995. It has Camaro injectors and Howell Cobra II chip.

ThumperPup
03-15-11, 12:21 PM
wow man looking good

97EldoCoupe
03-15-11, 03:44 PM
That is a hot rod and a half. 450 HP? You won't have any problems blowing HG's even with all those horses. Give it a shot of N2O as well if you like.

30MPG with 3:70:1 - WOW! What type of trans are you running? Auto? Manual? I'll guess a 700-R4, I prefer the 200-4R for the .67 OD. A little better mileage while cruising, but the first gear ratio is not quite as favorable as the 700.

Speedygman
03-15-11, 03:51 PM
I am running a 700R4 from a 90 degree V6 Chevy S10 truck, with custom converter. I hope the new head studs will take care of the head gaskets. It also has 4 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel power disc brakes, rack and pinion steering.

Speedygman
03-15-11, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Like I tell young folks (If I knew that I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of myself)

Speedygman
03-15-11, 04:02 PM
Thanks,

97EldoCoupe
03-15-11, 07:02 PM
Yup Grady you can run all the horsepower you like and the studs will keep those heads down where they belong. Permission to use photos from this thread on my website Grady? Please and thanks :)

Speedygman
03-15-11, 08:58 PM
Jake,
It would be my honor for you to use the pictures anytime.:thumbsup::worship:

stoveguyy
03-16-11, 11:21 AM
you got any nice pics of how the motor mounts to the frame? i attend many car shows and always check out the frame mods. i like suspension work and fabricated stuff. you should put pics on a website that allows folks to check it out.

Speedygman
03-16-11, 01:47 PM
you got any nice pics of how the motor mounts to the frame? i attend many car shows and always check out the frame mods. i like suspension work and fabricated stuff. you should put pics on a website that allows folks to check it out.
The suspension is just the run of the mill Jerry Kugel custom stuff,American Stamping side rails, Pete and Jakes center round cross member, see lots of this kind of rod chassis kinda run-of the mill. If I knew how to do a web page I would be glad to do the pictures but that will be another day.

stoveguyy
03-16-11, 04:36 PM
i was interested in the motor mounts. did you use the CHRFAB stuff?

Speedygman
03-16-11, 05:08 PM
On the driver-side I used a old motor mount bracket with everthing cut off except the part that bolts to the side of the block between the air condition compressor and the oil filter adapter. welded 1 inch tubing in a V shape to a 1 1/2 inch piece of tubing for the urethane bushing, which is sandwiched between the frame tab ears with a 1/2 inch bolt. The passenger side is the approximately same thing stock block base motor mount, all the rest cut away,V shaped tubing two on engine base plate to one piece 1 1/2 tubing horizontal with urethane bushing and frame tabs. I will take some close up pictures and post later. These were the 1995 motor mounts that I cut apart, the reasoning is it is 3 different levels for the bolt boss's and I thought using the orginial mount base just for the stamping shape was the way to go. They attach to the sides of the block. If I was doing it again I would use mounts from CHRF they look GREAT. Alan and Diane are very nice and helpful folks.

cadillac kevin
03-16-11, 05:24 PM
thats a beautiful engine.

Speedygman
03-16-11, 05:32 PM
No, in 1995 when I did this Alan was just getting started and I made mine from scratch.

Speedygman
03-16-11, 05:34 PM
thats a beautiful engine.
Thank you,it has been a good little engine for 46,000 miles and I plan on a little redo of the whole car. It was done in January 2002 time for refresh.

Speedygman
03-16-11, 05:36 PM
you got any nice pics of how the motor mounts to the frame? i attend many car shows and always check out the frame mods. i like suspension work and fabricated stuff. you should put pics on a website that allows folks to check it out. I am planing on pulling the motor in a few days and I will take and post some pictures for you.

stoveguyy
03-17-11, 11:25 AM
lots of photo websites that share. never seen pics of the RWD northstar motor mounts online yet. i assume chrf is set up to provide parts for FWD motors in other rigs.

Speedygman
03-17-11, 11:44 AM
lots of photo websites that share. never seen pics of the RWD northstar motor mounts online yet. i assume chrf is set up to provide parts for FWD motors in other rigs. Yes they have a lot of nice things for the FWD Norstars and RWD, and the new Chevy big horse power stuff.

Pete1996
03-21-11, 09:05 AM
Nice, very nice!!!!
Which ECU are you using if you don't mind my asking?

Speedygman
03-21-11, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Pete1996;2534364]Nice, very nice!!!!
Which ECU are you using if you don't mind my asking?[/QUOTE
At present time I am using the 1995 ECU with a Howell Engine Development Cobra-II chip. With the new engine I am changing over to the Cadillac Hot Rod Fabrication/Hollie/HD EFI unit so as to have better control of the engine in order to get a little more out of it.

stoveguyy
03-21-11, 03:22 PM
were you using a stock intake to start with? and now are going to an aftermarket intake package? don't know what efi aftermarket packages are available for the northstar?

Speedygman
03-21-11, 05:55 PM
were you using a stock intake to start with? and now are going to an aftermarket intake package? don't know what efi aftermarket packages are available for the northstar?

I AM USING THE PLASTIC 1995 INTAKE AND THROTTLE BODY REVERSED ON THE ENGINE TO PUT THROTTLE BODY AT THE FRONT. I AM GOING TO STILL USE THE PLASTIC INTAKE BUT OPENED UP INTAKE PORTS AS MUCH AS I CAN TO FIT THE NEW PORTED AND POLISHED CHRF HEADS. CHRF MAKES HIS OWN WIRE HARNESS FOR THE EFI, USING THE HOLLEY HD950 EFI UNIT WHICH WILL WORK ONLY ON STAND ALONE TYPE INSTALLATIONS. LOOK AT www.chrf.com WEB SITE LOTS OF PICTURES AND PARTS. THIS STUFF IS FOR THE 1995 THRU 2000 WITH SOON TO BE RELEASED FOR THE VARABLE CAM SHAFT TIMING ENGINES.

stoveguyy
03-21-11, 09:51 PM
i have a used intake on my car. its from a 98 aurora 4.0. has my original throttlebody though. intake ports match up to the gasket so i think its ok. i may have even double checked the gm part # on the intake.

Speedygman
03-21-11, 11:26 PM
I will be using a modyfied stock intake, grind out intake openings as large as I can get them so as to match new big intake ports.

stoveguyy
03-22-11, 11:12 AM
molded plastic wall thickness is very thin. would be careful trying to enlarge ports. or maybe chfrb says it is ok since they deal with modding the NS alot.

Speedygman
03-22-11, 01:08 PM
molded plastic wall thickness is very thin. would be careful trying to enlarge ports. or maybe chfrb says it is ok since they deal with modding the NS alot.

Yes they are thin, thanks for JB Weld we will see?

Submariner409
03-22-11, 02:51 PM
There IS a bit of cleaning up to be done, but not much. be careful with that Dremel burr.................too much and the bolt bosses crack.

This is a 2000+ manifold, but the idea is about the same..................

Speedygman
03-22-11, 04:27 PM
There IS a bit of cleaning up to be done, but not much. be careful with that Dremel burr.................too much and the bolt bosses crack.

Thanks for the information.

Speedygman
04-01-11, 01:50 PM

I have now gone to a new intake and injection system. Will be useing the CHRF intake with the Holley 1000 CFM throttle body with intake drilled for individual Ford Racing injectors 30LBS an hour

stoveguyy
04-02-11, 12:27 AM
man, the aftermarket FI stuff is pricey. a mpi system is 2000 easy. the northstar 4 barrel intakes are 500 but are pretty nice. add 500 for a nice carb and your at a grand now.

Speedygman
04-02-11, 07:10 AM
man, the aftermarket FI stuff is pricey. a mpi system is 2000 easy. the north star 4 barrel intakes are 500 but are pretty nice. add 500 for a nice carb and your at a grand now.

I guess when you are spending the Grand Kids inheritance for good car parts, that it is a good thing. Yes very pricey, but @450 HP with 288 cubic inches with pump gas is OK for me. It is the same today as it was yesterday IT COST MONEY TO GO FAST, HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO. With the whole engine deal, Heads, Cams,Intake,Computer, Wire Harness, Ford Injectors,Throttle Body, new fuel pressure regulator,fuel rails and assorted plumbing, new in tank fuel pump, it starts to be very pricey for my limited funds. I have planned this for 10 years and now is the time to GETERRRRR DONE. LIFE IS SHORT, DRIVE A HOT ROD

Submariner409
04-02-11, 07:52 AM
Exactly ^^^^ - the 455 Olds engines I build for boats come in at around $7,500, running. And that's a basic, bulletproof workhorse. Get into roller cams/lifters, complete electronic ignitions and throttlebody FI and you're close to $10,000.

I still wish that at least some of the Northstar engine upgrades could be stuffed into a FWD sidewinder package but it ain't gonna happen.

Speedygman
04-02-11, 01:44 PM
So sad, it would take a Electrical Engineer, Computer Engineer and a Mechanical Engineer to do a deal like that, but it could be done, but way pricey out of my league.

97EldoCoupe
04-02-11, 08:24 PM
Jim I have that 455 out of my Olds now. The body was crushed. I'm looking for a better style car to fit that into, maybe an old mid early-late 70's Cutlass. If I want to spice that engine up a bit, should I send it over to you? Funds will be limited for some time- maybe two years down the road I'll have some cash to sink into an old iron block, RWD project. I'd love to have you build it up. It runs great just needs a bit more power.... I can seriously imagine a '97 Eldorado with a RWD setup and an old iron big cube V8..... I love the Northstar but that would just be downright cool- and time consuming to build!

As far as I know within the next 30 days I'll be visiting some prospective U.S. States to set up a U.S. shop. I may have to take time to visit a few people. Florida is one of them, Texas is another, and a few more I'm considering. I'll be looking at climate, geographic location, population centers within reasonable driving distances, etc...

Speedygman, I just may stop by to say hi and see your beautiful project first hand.

Speedygman
04-02-11, 10:24 PM
Jake,
The invitation is still extended for you at anytime. Come on down. Better do it before July/August it turns HOT HOT.

Stingroo
04-02-11, 10:29 PM
Hey, if you pop in to Florida send me a PM. :) Would be cool to meet the man, the myth, the legend, Stud guy. :thumbsup:

Speedygman
04-03-11, 05:31 AM
Wagon Man, this is my wife's wagon she loves them.

Submariner409
04-03-11, 10:14 AM
Jake, I'd be glad to do a 455 build for you, BUT - consider this: truck freight and crating. That's a 750# engine.

A 455, as you know, is a piece of cake to overhaul/build, and the aftermarket parts availability is fantastic - you can find multiple variations of any engine part. Surf through Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW), Mondello, and Dick Miller Racing (DMR) catalogs for starters. (A set of Mondello street ported heads is now over $1500). I have not used Edelbrock aluminum heads to date due to concerns about heavy marine manifolds and exhaust piping. Get Joe Mondello's Olds "Performance Products - Technically Prepared" paperback catalog - every engine spec and all torque settings as well as slews of build and gasket seal tricks.

A good block and head cleaning. ARP bolts all around. Valves, guides, springs, locks, retainers. Keith Black 10:1 pistons with Sealed Power moly rings in whatever size mikes out. Clevite mains and rod bearings. Complete FelPro gasket set. A Cloyes double roller timing set, advanced 4 degrees (don't forget the oil slinger ring). An Edelbrock Perfomer intake (not the RPM version) with Mr.Gasket intake gaskets, Edelbrock Gasgacinch for sealer - that setup gets you away from the valley tray "bathtub" intake gasket. A clean QJ with electric choke. March makes a serpentine belt kit. There's a cam cover in the valley. I remove it and drill/chamfer a drip hole above each cam lobe for additional flat tappet lubrication - not necessary if you go to rollers. Stock performance lifters. Mr. Gasket (expensive) valve cover gaskets #5875 and exhaust manifold #5945. I degree all my cams, but if you use a Comp mild grind or one of the Mondello (Engle) street grinds it's not necessary - they're dead accurate out of the box. Use the stock distributor with a Pertronix module and ACCEL 8mm wires, NGK Iridium plugs.

I could rattle on and on, but if you run into problems, call me. Same number as before.

Stingroo
04-03-11, 10:21 AM
Spedygman - that thing is gorgeous. I think I'm in love (With the car, honest. Don't shoot me. :lol:)

:thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
04-03-11, 11:50 AM
Jim the cost of shipping 750 lbs would be worth it to have someone build the engine that does it on a regular basis. Still, I enjoy turning wrenches on anything mechanical. I won't hijack Speedygman's thread on an Olds build but if I do tackle this engine myself, Jim I'll be looking to you for advice on the best parts. (Aluminum heads would take some weight off the old big block!) Thanks for all the info!!!! :)

That is a nice wagon speedygman!!

Speedygman
05-16-13, 11:58 PM
UP date, will be going to take a test run tomorrow to check everything out. It has been a real learning experience for me. Will try and do some pictures also maybe some video.

Submariner409
05-17-13, 08:59 AM
Very timely post, Speedy - :sneaky:

vincentm
05-17-13, 10:58 AM
Good to see ya back on here Grady. Hope all is well :-)

Speedygman
05-17-13, 11:27 PM
I have had a very tough year with my right leg. Broke leg bone just below right knee, 27 pieces, put together with screws and glue, lost ACL and MCL, waited 5 months, went in to replace knee, bones no good, installed a chrome moly leg from mid thigh to mid shin, with a spring for a knee, recuperating from that and knee collapsed and had a broke hip surgery again. Now recovering nicely and will need 6 to 8 months of 2 times a week therapy. Can walk short period with cane. Just now starting to get back on the work of the Vicky. Had a engine test run today couldn't go on the road because paint work underneath on the frame was wet. Engine is running GREAT, computer is still learning, it even idles at 700 RPM in neutral. Has a real nasty biting sound exhaust sound. Now running FAST, sequential EFI, with Holley throttle body. Will give a few more days of driving and learning for the computer, sounds like it needs a little more timing. Then I have a day set up to run DYNO to get the most that we can get. I have some pictures but I am having trouble getting them into this site. Will figure out and post latter.

vincentm
05-18-13, 09:19 AM
I have had a very tough year with my right leg. Broke leg bone just below right knee, 27 pieces, put together with screws and glue, lost ACL and MCL, waited 5 months, went in to replace knee, bones no good, installed a chrome moly leg from mid thigh to mid shin, with a spring for a knee, recuperating from that and knee collapsed and had a broke hip surgery again. Now recovering nicely and will need 6 to 8 months of 2 times a week therapy. Can walk short period with cane. Just now starting to get back on the work of the Vicky. Had a engine test run today couldn't go on the road because paint work underneath on the frame was wet. Engine is running GREAT, computer is still learning, it even idles at 700 RPM in neutral. Has a real nasty biting sound exhaust sound. Now running FAST, sequential EFI, with Holley throttle body. Will give a few more days of driving and learning for the computer, sounds like it needs a little more timing. Then I have a day set up to run DYNO to get the most that we can get. I have some pictures but I am having trouble getting them into this site. Will figure out and post latter.

Holy crap, man here's to wishing you a good recovery and therapy. Glad to see you got that monster of a northstar roaring. :)

Speedygman
11-03-13, 09:39 AM
Well folks it has been a real experience to say the least. I had weird trouble with the EFI from Holley but it was not Holley EFI trouble but dumb me Grady trouble. After trying to get engine to run correctly for 6 months I gave up and carried to my friends shop and he and I and one other expert tried to figure what was wrong to no avail.
I ordered a new EFI system and it came in and when I went to take out the wiring harness for the Holley system out We immediately saw the problem. The engine coolant temperature sensor leads were pinched between the bell housing and the rear of the engine block. So I now had two CUSTOM EFI SYSTEMS that can not be sent back. I go with the new system as I have a friend with a lot of experience with the new system. So the story has a happy ending even with my stupidity involvement. It has good manners now the engine I speak of. I can not stress enough READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THROUGHLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WHEN YOU GET WEIRD TROUBLE SIGNS GO BACK AND TAKE OUT THE INTIRE SYSTEM AND REINSTALL AND THE PROBLEMS WILL PROBABLY BE FOUND OUT AND FIXED, WE NEVER GET TO OLD TO LEARN. I will try and post some video and pictures soon.

Submariner409
11-03-13, 11:04 AM
Hi, Grady. How's the new starboard leg holding up ?

Speedygman
11-03-13, 08:29 PM
Sub,
Great to hear from you, I wanted to tell you of my Dad's 22 years as a shallow water sailor, United States Coast Guard, he passed away last year at 96, had full head of hair, all his teeth, never had spent the night in a hospital. Was in every Naval Landing in the Pacific driving a Higgins boat. Wow did he ever have some stories that he told me before he died. He was a real sailors sailor.

My starboard leg is still getting better, the starboard hip is still pretty bad but getting better, I can walk a 1/2 mile with my cane and a few hundred yards without any cane. I guess it will take time.

I am getting more and more adapt at tuning on the computer with guidance from my friend Bob Ream, he is a genius with my computer remotely from Arizona to Georgia over the internet and my lap top. New world for old dogs.

Submariner409
11-04-13, 10:09 AM
Good to hear .......... and my Dad died in 2004 at 94 - he, too was in the Pacific in WW-II - USN, Seabees - came home in '44 with a load of shrapnel in HIS right hip, but he never walked with even a slight limp.

ME - my right leg is screwed up from the nerve damage caused by crushed spinal discs in my neck: Football, rugby, motorcycle racing accidents. After a 9.5 hour surgery to remove the discs, my entire head is held on by a titanium ladder screwed onto 5 neck vertebrae with 10 sheet metal screws - makes it hard to roll around under cars ............

Speedygman
11-05-13, 08:03 AM
Sub
This is why we hear about, If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. You really have to be tuff to get old. So don't mess with a old guy he will kill you.

Submariner409
11-05-13, 09:19 AM
Yesterday I blew leaves for 2.5 hours - used a 4-cycle TroyBilt backpacker blower. It burns NO (straight) gas and makes a 2-cycle blower look like a soda straw by comparison. Same drill tomorrow. Creaks and arthritis be damned - life goes on.

BTW - we used one of the Holley TB FI/management systems on a boat engine I built last year - had troubles with fuel trims and long-term idling (while running crab trotlines). Went back to a standard Delco distributor with Pertronix Ignitor/Crane adjustable vacuum advance and a slightly tricked Quadrajet and all is well ..............

----------

................don't mess with a old guy he will kill you.

I carry .............. :cool2:

Speedygman
11-06-13, 08:54 AM
Packing feels real comfortable