Cadillac Owners Forum banner

bad idle and shuts off

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  drewsdeville 
#1 ·
just adjusted the ISC motor i have a question , when i adjusted the gap and reconnected the ISC motor , the plunger still hits the throttle plate , is that normal? idle jumps to about 500 and lower sometimes it shuts off the car in cold weather, the egr is cleaned , could it be carbon chunks somewhere in the egr valve passage?
car is a 1994 STS northstar

#3 ·
i followed instructions from here , hold rpm and push plunger to retract at the same time i disconnected the motor cable , then the car stalled on me though , im not sure that was supposed to happen but i continued adjusting the gap with engine off . when i adjusted the gap i reconnected the cable

#11 ·
EGR only operates with the engine running at light to moderate loads; it does not operate with the engine off or at idle.

You could test the valve by removing it and applying 3 to 5 VDC across the terminals - it receives a varying voltage according to a PCM signal - matter of fact it may not operate until the emissions systems go open loop at 160 degrees coolant temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.