: Which CAI

rednumbers
03-14-11, 08:09 PM
It looks like the CAI is a good bang for the buck and was wondering between different brands

Airaid since the cheapest in price but is there really any difference from the other companies

Where is the best and cheapest place to purchase

e6t
03-14-11, 08:47 PM
airaid provides something like 900 rwhp. i installed it on my car and it actually pops wheelies.

its science.

Domsz06
03-14-11, 09:15 PM
airaid provides something like 900 rwhp. i installed it on my car and it actually pops wheelies.

its science.

lol!!!

jzchen
03-15-11, 02:52 AM
I believe Paschal Performance has a good price on the Airaid intake.

jordan00escalade
03-15-11, 03:16 AM
I heard the Volant CAI cost more, but the quality is a little better. I'd try to be a little more specific.. There are so many OTHER companies, who are you making your comparisons with? K&N, Volant? If your looking for the cheapest parts (usually means poor quality) the place with the lowest price is usually the BEST place to get it from.

and YES there is a difference in which company makes your products. Do you have any photos of your V?

GMX322V S/C
03-15-11, 04:06 AM
^^^
Does Volant actually make a CAI for the V2 now?

To the OP: Cheapest? Cut the bottom off the stock airbox. According to resident expert Wait4me, it's good for up to 600 RWHP. if you're going to build past that, swap the rubber intake tube with a solid metal one from Lingenfelter (to prevent it from collapsing under vacuum); at that point, the limiting factor is the CFMs the stock filter will flow. I don't remember exactly what that equates to in terms of RWHP, but I believe it's on the order of 650 or so. A K&N drop-in might offer a marginal improvement, but on a stock motor (and I mean bone stock with no tune), running with no filter at all reportedly (Wait4Me again, I believe) nets something like 6 RWHP.

jordan00escalade
03-15-11, 04:39 AM
GMX... Actually I don't believe they have officially released one for the V2. *Jacking of thread in progress* Is it true that the Throttle body diameters are the same as the LS2's, and you can make some adjustment to the fitting just before the Throttle body? He said, she said.. you could make them work due to very little differences. I don't know anymore about it than what i read... however

you could do what the big boys do..
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/lotuhecoairi.html

Gary Wells
03-15-11, 09:17 AM
FWIW:

03-19-2009: 04:19 PM: (JTHennessey) True Cold Air Intakes – Instock!: “True Cold Air intakes – Instock”: Want to add a quick 15 hp? This is the solution. Completely replaces the factory intake system with our true cold air intake. Last week, Nick @ American Racing Headers was able to test this induction system and was able to show a gain of 18 rwhp!!! Awesome setup. Images attached to this post

05-21-2009: 09:06 AM: “New Era CTS-V Cold Air Intake”: Mike @ New Era tuned a 09 CTSV and tested our intake on it. It made 451rwhp and 437rwtq in -stock- form and it picked up 34rwhp and 28rwtq with the New Era 09 CTSV intake untuned. After Mike tuned it, it made 505rwhp and 470rwtq.

05-14-2010: 03:11 PM: KPE Cold Air Intake: Designed to draw cold air and fit with the factory -engine- bay trim. The first CTS-V intake to feature injection molded plastic tube and large filter protected in sealed powdercoated aluminum box. Makes 24 RWHP on a -stock- motor and even more with other modifications.

06-06-2010: 06:32 PM: Airaid 250-253 - Best prices – Free Shipping!: Airaid Cold Air Intake System for the 2009-2010 Cadillac CTS-V 6.2L Supercharged -V8- includes a modular intake tube, air dam and highflow washable air filter. This System will give you 28 HP and 43 FT/LBS of Torque with out a Tune.

07-31-2010: 04:55 PM: KPE: Re: All KPE CAI owners………Instead of using our -car-, we grabbed a used 2010 CTS-V straight off the lot from our local Cadillac (Dealer) with 7980 miles which was bone stock. We then installed the KPE intake, and they ran the -car- again on the dyno..………….they took the average of the three runs which proved an 11 hp increase. They did have a run that showed +20 but the average at full temperature was +11.

07-31-2010: 06:53 PM: newcadman: Re: All KPE CAI owners: As indicated I took my 2009 V -auto- V (7000 miles) to the same (dynojet) dyno where it was previously tested when it was bone stock…………… Three pulls were made with the now installed KPE cai. End result, the (engine) made 8 MORE rwhp on its best pull than it did on its previous best bone stock pull.

HTH

e6t
03-15-11, 10:43 AM
seriously, get the wheelie-poppin' power of an airaid.

PhxTriode
03-15-11, 01:38 PM
I have had almost all of them on my car. The New Era has been my favorite thus far.

Gary Wells
03-15-11, 01:42 PM
How about some pics of the New Era CAI installed?

PhxTriode
03-15-11, 01:43 PM
Sure, give me a bit

musclesbmf
03-15-11, 02:02 PM
I have had almost all of them on my car. The New Era has been my favorite thus far.

Where did you purchase (website)?
also, does the air filter sit down in the "hole" that is below the stock intake like the hennessy unit?

thanks,
Mark

PhxTriode
03-15-11, 02:06 PM
Where did you purchase (website)?
also, does the air filter sit down in the "hole" that is below the stock intake like the hennessy unit?

thanks,
Mark

Way in the hole :-) so much so that I recommend flipping the horn to the back side of the bracket.

Yeah, bought it right through the website.