Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2002 Cadillac DeVille and engine skip

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to this Forum. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my engine started skipping. Seem to run better at higher speeds but not at idle or takeoff. There also have been a couple of times when sitting at a light that it seemed like I smelled gas fumes but thought it was for car in front of me.

Went to GoodYear to have them check it out.(Yes I Know :( They came back with the following:
1. Computer Check said #6 plug was fouled
2. Reason for fouling was due to valve cover gaskets leaking oil in to plug?
3. One of my Ignition banks was bad.

In all they wanted $1,200 to replace valve cover gaskets, all new plugs and
new Ignition bank. So for the moment I had them replace plugs. I need to find out about Ignition bank replacement and if Valver cover gasket can leak oil
into Plugs and foul them.

Which Ignition bank controls #6 Plug. I don't have all the codes but plan to go by Advanced Auto and get them to read them for me.

Thanks in advance for any help... Noel

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome:

Pull the codes yourself. See the sticky re: DTC's at the top of the forum page.

The cam covers have O rings that seal the plug wells and do seep oil sometimes, but the amount is minimal and will not cause a misfire.

#6 is on the left (front) bank. The ignition cassette can be replaced without removing the cam cover.

#3 ·
Thanks Ranger..
What are sticks and where are they located at the top?

Is there any information here on how to remove and replace cassette?
Is your statement on cam cover same as Valve covers?
Where would be the best price for the Ignition cassette purchace?
Any ideas why I might smell gas seemingly coming from engine compartment
while at a light?

Thanks Noel

#4 ·
Thanks Ranger..
What are sticks and where are they located at the top?
Is there any information here on how to remove and replace cassette?
Is your statement on cam cover same as Valve covers?
Where would be the best price for the Ignition cassette purchace?
Any ideas why I might smell gas seemingly coming from engine compartment
while at a light?Thanks Noel
"Sticky" posts - those information posts at the top of the threads on the main Deville page. Your car has its own built in code reader/scanner/memory. The Sticky "How to pull codes" will instruct you on how to do it all in your driveway. Study.

Look in Discussions, Item Specific; Technical Tips. Coil cassette work is in one of the 9 pages of tips.

Cam cover = valve cover. Know that the plug wells are sealed with O-rings which tend to weep over time. Not a problem. Oil is an insulator, and it took a LONG time for that oil to weep there. Common.

Talk to Chris up in RippyParts - Cadillac parts man - Vendors ^^^ or, a local junkyard.

You need to remove the engine cover and do a smell/sight search for a gas leak - fuel rail, pressure regulator, injector, fuel line.

The front bank is, from left to right, standing at the grille: 2-4-6-8. The rear bank is 1-3-5-7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.