: Need stock CV joints

cam3439
03-14-11, 12:10 PM
I think my passenger rear CV joint is going out and I can't seem to find a store that is selling either the outer or inner CV joints. Has anyone's stock CV joints been replaced before, and if so, where did you find the parts?

I have searched rockauto.com, gmpartsdirect.com, autozone, orielly's, etc.

I can only find CV joints for the regular CTS, but not on the V's.

Thanks in advance.

Dan_Gurney
03-14-11, 01:04 PM
you are probably better off buying a complete axle assembly.

Why do you think you CV joint it going out?

Andringa
03-14-11, 03:41 PM
Call Luke Butler (703-647-8670) at Lindsay Cadillac parts department. They are a forum sponsor and Luke can usually get you the best price around for OEM parts. Lindsay Cadillac is in Virginia but Luke seems to ship anywhere in the US.

cam3439
03-15-11, 06:34 AM
First, the sound kinda sounds like a gradual whining/grinding sound that only appear once warmed up. The sound increases with speed to a certain extent, but you can really hear it once you slow down and you hear nothing but the slight whine/grind. When going down the highway, or at a decent speed, you cannot hear it at all, but once you start to slow down and the car quiets down, the sound appears from the background noise. If I start my drive to work (suspension/axles cold), the sound isn't there and you cannot tell that there is something wrong. It's definitely coming from the right rear and not the differential or brakes (I have already checked the brakes). I thought it was a wheel bearing so I replaced the bearing with a timken, but the sound is still there.

This weekend, I will lift the car up from all four corners, and put the car into 1st in order to find the noise. I cannot remember if the CV joints, when barely wearing down, only make noise when the weight of the car is on the axle, or if it doesn't matter.

Does anyone think that they might just be dry and require some grease? The boots didn't look cracked, but then again I didn't really pay that close attention to the CV joints.

I want to replace the whole rear end assembly, but I was kinda adding to the mod budget for that 9" IRS setup. For now, I just want to keep this from failing while making my 10mi trip to work.