: V-day 5 june 24

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
03-14-11, 10:17 AM
V-day 5 will be Friday June 24th at Summit point (on the Summit track) in West Virginia. for those who havent been to a previous Vday this is the countrys largest V dominant track day.at the first 4 Vday's we have had an average of 40 V's on the track and 10-20 more that show up to hang out. cost is $250.00, that gets you aproximately 2 hours of track time with an experienced in car instructor, class room time to hone your skills and a catered lunch. this year Cadillac will be involved supporting their new race team, more details on that soon. please call 703-647-8670 or email lbutler@lindsaycadillac.com with any questions or to register.

Chris0nllyn
03-14-11, 11:38 AM
Awesome, I know a bunch of guys were chomping at the bit wondering if V-Day was happening this year.

Now, I was wondering...If I didn't want to race, what would I have to pay? I just would want to come hang out and watch everyone else.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
03-14-11, 12:44 PM
Awesome, I know a bunch of guys were chomping at the bit wondering if V-Day was happening this year.

Now, I was wondering...If I didn't want to race, what would I have to pay? I just would want to come hang out and watch everyone else.

doesnt cost anything to spectate ($10.00 for lunch). more importanly Vday is not a race. its a high speed driving "school"

Chris0nllyn
03-14-11, 12:58 PM
doesnt cost anything to spectate ($10.00 for lunch). more importanly Vday is not a race. its a high speed driving "school"

Cool, definately debating coming up (have plans for that weekend already).

I don't think I've ever been excited for "school" :lol:

GMBOUND
03-14-11, 05:56 PM
Wish I would've seen this post before I sent an email to the Cadillac Motorsports Mgr today! Good Deal!

JimmyH
03-14-11, 06:12 PM
that time of year already?

Chris0nllyn
03-14-11, 11:24 PM
Completely forgot about my girlfriend's birthday that weekend :banghead:

Pretty safe to say I won't be making it.

Junior1
03-15-11, 12:18 AM
I'm in brother, use the c/c on file and email me the registration form...

AAIIIC
03-15-11, 09:23 AM
I'll be there.

Completely forgot about my girlfriend's birthday that weekend :banghead:

Pretty safe to say I won't be making it.
Dude, V Day is Friday. You'll still have all weekend to spend time with your girl.

Besides, it's 3 months from now - you can totally break up with this girl and get a new one (whose birthday is not that weekend) in 3 months! :p

Chris0nllyn
03-15-11, 10:00 AM
Dude, V Day is Friday. You'll still have all weekend to spend time with your girl.

Besides, it's 3 months from now - you can totally break up with this girl and get a new one (whose birthday is not that weekend) in 3 months! :p

I like the way you think! Totally didn't even look at the calender to see what day it's on. I have just over 1 day of PTO left, so it looks like I'll be saving it for this!

Maybe I missed something, but what time should we start heading up?

AAIIIC
03-15-11, 11:10 AM
I don't remember the exact schedule from last time, but for most track events you have to be at the track early (~7am) to get everyone through registration and tech inspection. Instructor and driver meetings will take place in the 8 or 8:30 ballpark, with people getting on track shortly thereafter.

My recommendation would be to drive up and stay at a hotel Thursday night. I typically stay at the Hampton Inn in Winchester, VA, which is about 20min from the track. Driving on track safely takes a lot of sustained concentration and is physically and mentally draining. I would say it's not advisable to be waking up at 4am or whatever to drive a couple/few hours to get to the track Friday morning; much better to be at the hotel the night before so you can be well rested.

smbstyle
03-15-11, 02:34 PM
we should make sure we all schedule in time for Summit Point Karting!

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
03-15-11, 04:00 PM
I don't remember the exact schedule from last time, but for most track events you have to be at the track early (~7am) to get everyone through registration and tech inspection. Instructor and driver meetings will take place in the 8 or 8:30 ballpark, with people getting on track shortly thereafter.

My recommendation would be to drive up and stay at a hotel Thursday night. I typically stay at the Hampton Inn in Winchester, VA, which is about 20min from the track. Driving on track safely takes a lot of sustained concentration and is physically and mentally draining. I would say it's not advisable to be waking up at 4am or whatever to drive a couple/few hours to get to the track Friday morning; much better to be at the hotel the night before so you can be well rested.

Couldnt have said better. schedule is still under construction but arriving before 7 AM is a given. the Hampton Inn in Winchester will have a block of discounted rooms for Vday participants. that is not quite set up yet but will be by the time people start registering...

rand49er
03-15-11, 04:25 PM
I'll be there.

Besides, it's 3 months from now - you can totally break up with this girl and get a new one (whose birthday is not that weekend) in 3 months! :pPost of the month!!!

Stop, Pat! Stop it! :yup:

JDB
03-15-11, 08:36 PM
From another forum, posted by a track junkie buddy... there are some improvements made to Summit Point.

I was at Summit Point on Saturday with ___ instructing for SCCA's PDX. I'm happy to report that Summit has made some marked improvements in the name of safety.

First off, the pavement is still holding up. There's a change in grip at the large asphalt patch at T1, not a big change in grip, but it's noticeable. But everywhere else around the track, the pavement is still good and holding up. The dip and bumps at T9 give that turn character IMO.

T3 received a significant improvement. First off, all the gravel has been graded and smoothed out and it's not strewn all about. Second, they cleared a good 150' of trees from behind the gravel so that if you run off and need more runoff room than the gravel can provide, there is now a huge, flat field that you can use. At the end of the field is a small berm that should provide the final barrier to get you stopped (albeit while damaging the car), should you run THAT far off track, which is unlikely.

T10 coming on the front straight, the berm that is on the outer edge, track left, has been flattened. This is Bobster's berm, right? Now, if you run off the track outside of or after the rumble strips, there is a long, flat area for you to safely get the car slowed down and to smoothly pull it back on to the front straight. With all the rains, it's a huge mud pile right now as they're not totally done grading the land yet. However, if you wanted, you could drive down the entire front straight in the grass now, whereas before, that berm came up pretty quickly. It seems that people would try to avoid that berm, yank the wheel and would end up in the tire wall on the inside of the track. Now, you no longer need to do that.

Finally, all the flag stations now have new and, in my opinion, more visible gazebos. I think they may even sit a bit higher than they did before, which is a good thing.

So, I'm happy to report that Summit Point is improving. Rumour has it that they main bathrooms in the paddock are shut down for renovation, but that's all hearsay at this point.

GMBOUND
03-16-11, 01:45 AM
You plan on making this one Randy??

thebigjimsho
03-16-11, 02:08 PM
I'm still shocked he made the 1st one...

rand49er
03-16-11, 03:55 PM
You plan on making this one Randy??Yesterday, it looked like a "maybe."

Today, it's not looking so promising.

Women. :canttalk:

I'm still shocked he made the 1st one...Ain't it the truth.

EDIT: Phil, if I can do it, I won't know till it gets pretty close and assuming there are spots still left. If you go, and if I end up getting the go ahead, maybe we could set up a two-V convoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwaygKjs2fI

ahahnu
03-16-11, 08:55 PM
What are the chances the V coupe racecar will have a passenger seat in it again this year? I've seen some pics and videos of the new car and recall the greatest ride of my life (the original V racecar) and can only hope it can / will be repeated or beaten.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
03-17-11, 10:58 AM
What are the chances the V coupe racecar will have a passenger seat in it again this year? I've seen some pics and videos of the new car and recall the greatest ride of my life (the original V racecar) and can only hope it can / will be repeated or beaten.

There is a chance......more on that as Vday5 takes shape..

ahahnu
03-17-11, 02:33 PM
There is a chance......more on that as Vday5 takes shape..

"Lloyd.... You're one in a million." -Mary Swanson

"So you're saying I have a chance!" -Lloyd Christmas

thebigjimsho
03-17-11, 09:41 PM
"Lloyd.... You're one in a million." -Mary Swanson

"So you're saying I have a chance!" -Lloyd Christmas
Awful.

Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Not good.

You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

I'd say more like one out of a million.

So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

ahahnu
03-17-11, 11:58 PM
Yeah yeah. Not everyone is up to speed on it-

Nice accent you have, what is it New Jersey?

Austrian.

G'day mate. Put another shrimp on the barbie.

thebigjimsho
03-18-11, 01:03 PM
Good to see you've caught up...

ahahnu
03-18-11, 06:21 PM
I know it's ok cause YOU'RE the limo driver, but have you fallen off the jet way recently?

AAIIIC
03-19-11, 02:00 PM
A little something to whet your appetites, shot last weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjbCwuLZvBQ

Or, if you'd like to download it rather than streaming it, you can get it here (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Video%20clips/Summit%20Point%20Mar11/Catching%20Z06-2-resized.wmv). (~32MB)

thebigjimsho
03-19-11, 05:23 PM
I'm now whet.

CTSV_Rob
03-20-11, 01:21 PM
Will JimmyH be there?

JimmyH
03-20-11, 01:36 PM
sure. I will put some V badges on my V6 camaro.

CTSV_Rob
03-20-11, 01:52 PM
Maybe time for an upgrade :) (not just the badges :lol:)

AAIIIC
03-28-11, 06:24 AM
Some more videos from a few weekends ago, now with gauges!

First, a short clip (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Video%20clips/Summit%20Point%20Mar11/Watch%20the%20Viper%20disappear.wmv) of me getting walked by a race-prepped Viper on the main straight. Obviously the V is no slouch in the acceleration department, but he pulls on me like I'm standing still! :eek:

And then a longer clip (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Video%20clips/Summit%20Point%20Mar11/SCCA%20PDX%20-%20Summit%20Point%20-%203%20good%20laps.wmv) of ~3 laps of pretty open running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u86iMfL6Ybk

odla
03-28-11, 07:16 AM
Nice driving. Looks like a fun track!

CancerJCC
03-28-11, 09:32 AM
Nice driving. Looks like a fun track!

X2 on the driving although I would have no idea what a fun track is. (noob so any would be fun to me).

odla
03-28-11, 10:21 AM
that has some good speed to it. looks kind of easy on the brakes as there is good cooling before next hard use. Thats a awesome transition onto the long straight. You can keep a lot of speed before you get on it.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
03-28-11, 12:30 PM
allready 10 signed up for Vday5. 7 CTS-V's, 1 STS-V, and 2 vettes (one of which is a ZR1). give me a call to get on the list. Luke===703-647-8670 or lbutler@lindsaycadillac.com

nmaier2201
03-28-11, 12:39 PM
I might be in for it this year as well. I think I have this weekend open, and I might take my dad with me as he's a huge fan of everything GM... If the CTS-V racecar shows up i'll make his day for sure.

So I'm penciling myself in at this point.

PS. I'll use the fact that I have three dudes in my car as an excuse for my slow lap times as well!

AAIIIC
03-28-11, 10:18 PM
that has some good speed to it. looks kind of easy on the brakes as there is good cooling before next hard use.
There's only that 1 big stop, but it's a big stop. I see rotor temps over 1250F (using Tempilaq paint on the rotors) and have to keep moving my braking point back as the session goes on. I pretty much killed a set (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Auto-x%20and%20Track%20Days/XP16s-1.jpg) of Carbotech XP16s in 2 days.

ssstealth
04-03-11, 10:33 PM
Andy Pilgrim had some nice things to say about the last V-Day in this article...

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?story=1927

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
04-04-11, 09:24 AM
an excerpt from another Pilgrim article, this one was after Vday3....."This was not just any track day; Lindsay Cadillac is a dealership near DC in Alexandria, VA which organizes track days for their customers and other enthusiasts. Luke Butler, who leads this program, is a really good guy.
Well, this year Luke outdid himself and had Pratt and Miller bring the two-seat Cadillac CTS World Challenge race car. Pratt & Miller, who, as you recall, built the Cadillac race cars I drove between 2004 and the end of last season, hired me to drive it.
My deal was that I was on call all day to give rides to anyone who wanted a ride. I was at the track before 7 am to help with the driver instruction school as we had a lot of new track day drivers there, then we started giving rides at 10 am.
It was great to see almost 50 CTS-V’s out for this event, especially in this economy.
I was in the two-seat race car for over six hours - and it was over 90 degrees on that Monday. I think we made some more friends and hopefully helped Lindsay sell more cars. I can tell you six hours in that race car with no cooling, and not even an air duct, gave me a heck of a work out.
I got out of Summit Point about 5:30 pm and started the 280 mile drive down to Virginia In’t Raceway in Danville, VA, right on the border with North Carolina – and by that, I mean right on the border. In fact, you cross the state line twice just driving into the property.
I got into my hotel around 11 pm after stopping for dinner in the middle of nowhere along the way. The diner was excellent; I just couldn’t believe this place was attached to gas station and there was not even a village around.
The lady and her sons running it had spinach salads, fresh fish and great soups. I loved it, and I needed it after that day.
Not that you really need to know this, but I’ll tell you anyway in case you’re dropping off: I drank six bottles of water during the 280-mile drive from Summit Point to VIR and never needed to use the bathroom. This is not supposed to be impressive in the sense that I have a bladder the size of a fuel truck. It’s to let people know how fit you have to be in the race cars when doing endurance racing. I did drink several bottles of water during the day but still needed that much rehydration. And some people still think race driving is not a sport, yeah right!!"

rjoffe
04-04-11, 09:25 AM
Very nice of him. !!

Nice plug for Lindsay.

ssstealth
04-04-11, 09:01 PM
So when do we have a track day at V.I.R.????

AAIIIC
04-04-11, 11:52 PM
When you sign up for one. :) I'll be there next Mon/Tues with the Audi Owners Club and 4/23-24 with Trackdaze.com.

I think VIR's rental fee has to be significantly higher than Summit Point's, so I imagine it would be hard to swing VIR with the small group that the VDays attract.

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 11:12 AM
When you sign up for one. :) I'll be there next Mon/Tues with the Audi Owners Club and 4/23-24 with Trackdaze.com.

I think VIR's rental fee has to be significantly higher than Summit Point's, so I imagine it would be hard to swing VIR with the small group that the VDays attract.
The SHO Convention is in NC this year, mainly to run at VIR. We have a single day, midweek and supposedly we break even, or close, if we can get 50 cars to sign up. I don't know who blew who to get that to happen, but I'm telling them to get more cars. 50 in total is going to be a ghost town on the track.

smbstyle
04-06-11, 09:18 AM
any word yet on Pratt and Miller bringing the CTS-V racecar out for ride alongs? That is my deciding factor.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
04-07-11, 08:47 AM
JUST confirmed. Cadillac will be at Vday5 with a 53' long V display AND a 2 seater show car/race car that SHOULD be available for hot lap rides with Andy Pilgrim (returning for his 4th Vday). more details soon

V-Guy
04-07-11, 08:53 AM
JUST confirmed. Cadillac will be at Vday5 with a 53' long V display AND a 2 seater show car/race car that SHOULD be available for hot lap rides with Andy Pilgrim (returning for his 4th Vday). more details soon

That is cool!! I wonder if I could talk them into showing up at our Indy V meet??

smbstyle
04-07-11, 10:19 AM

that's it, I have to come now.

thebigjimsho
04-07-11, 02:31 PM
Luke is da man!!

AAIIIC
04-08-11, 02:40 PM
Very cool!

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
04-13-11, 01:48 PM
update...
8 V1's signed up
1 STS-V
5 V2's
2 GTO's
1 ZR1
1 Z06
1 Katech prepped Z06
1 Trans Am

Aurora40
04-14-11, 08:28 AM
Does anyone know of any, or recommend any, track-day insurance? I'm signed up for the event, but am thinking this might be worth looking into.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
04-14-11, 09:22 AM
Does anyone know of any, or recommend any, track-day insurance? I'm signed up for the event, but am thinking this might be worth looking into.

in the confirmation email I should have sent you there is a link to a track day insurance company. let me know if i didnt send you that email, theres other important info in it as well. here is the link to the company http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/

Aurora40
04-14-11, 08:58 PM
Hey Luke,

There were just the three attachments. I'll check out that link. Thanks!

Aurora40
04-16-11, 08:31 AM
Ah, the link was in the document! d'oh!

12race
04-19-11, 02:51 PM

When I did a track day recently I called my insurance agent to inquire about my policy and what I needed. I did a HPDE event and he told me it was considered to be driving school and my policy covered me, saved me a few bucks not having to go with track day policy. However, for total piece of mind it is money well spent.

JDB
04-19-11, 05:33 PM
When I did a track day recently I called my insurance agent to inquire about my policy and what I needed. I did a HPDE event and he told me it was considered to be driving school and my policy covered me, saved me a few bucks not having to go with track day policy. However, for total piece of mind it is money well spent.

which company?

(not that anyone should take this as confirmation of coverage. always check with your ins. carrier)

JimmyH
04-19-11, 09:25 PM
Allstate and State Farm do not cover ANY kind of off-road driving. It is all considered competitive driving and is an exclusion. I suspect most major carriers are the same.

thebigjimsho
04-19-11, 09:54 PM
Commerce Insurance in Massachusetts had the policy worded to cover an HPDE as long as contact was not with another car. My agent refused to confirm, probably to cover their own butt(I don't blame them), but I went over that policy with a fine tooth comb and my V was covered.

It's not too common, but check your own policy. Your agent probably also will not confirm it for you...

12race
04-19-11, 10:28 PM
which company?

(not that anyone should take this as confirmation of coverage. always check with your ins. carrier)

You are correct, the point was to suggest checking with your carrier/agent so you are not spending money you don't have to. My company is Grange Mutual through an independent agent. I did not intend anyone take my statement as implied coverage. I did close the posting with a pretty clear statement that track insurance is total piece of mind for your ride.

Aurora40
05-01-11, 05:57 PM
Checked with USAA and they won't cover it. The track day coverage is almost as much as the event itself, and has a pretty high deductible, but I guess if the worst happens, it's better than nothing...

1madstsv
05-01-11, 08:29 PM
Any one going to this from pa/nj/Ny I'm taking my v and going down the night be for. Any one up for a convoy?

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
05-06-11, 12:43 PM
about 30 signed up so far with around 20 being V's. still spots and time to get registered. just got word that while the V coupe race car will still be there it may not be ready to give rides (which is kind of a bummer....) oh well, I will find something for Andy Pilgrim to drive

Luke 703-647-8670

JimmyH
05-06-11, 01:46 PM
Get one of those tandem Indy cars.

smbstyle
05-06-11, 03:35 PM
about 30 signed up so far with around 20 being V's. still spots and time to get registered. just got word that while the V coupe race car will still be there it may not be ready to give rides (which is kind of a bummer....) oh well, I will find something for Andy Pilgrim to drive

Luke 703-647-8670

grab a loaner from the dealership and let Pilgrim wring it out!!

ahahnu
05-07-11, 02:59 PM
That's a catch 22. On one hand you get a ride of a lifetime. On the other for newer guys (like myself) you spend most of the day waiting on the list to get a ride instead on thinking about the track and going faster around it.

JDB
05-07-11, 07:33 PM
Any one going to this from pa/nj/Ny I'm taking my v and going down the night be for. Any one up for a convoy?

I'm in PA and plan to go. Still deciding if signing up or not.

Anyone have any track pads they want to sell?

smbstyle
05-10-11, 09:26 AM
I'm in PA and plan to go. Still deciding if signing up or not.

Anyone have any track pads they want to sell?

I might be selling my PFC 01 pads with two events on them (about 60% material left on them). More than enough to get you through V-day.

JDB
05-10-11, 02:39 PM
I might be selling my PFC 01 pads with two events on them (about 60% material left on them). More than enough to get you through V-day.

Interested ...PM sent.

JDB
05-10-11, 02:54 PM
That's too bad the V race car can't give rides.

Paisan
05-14-11, 04:03 PM
I'll be there. Heading down Thurs afternoon from NNJ. Andy can drive my car again. I think that's why I ended up running out of gas! He used it all during the 30 min session he took me out in my car!

-mike

thebigjimsho
05-14-11, 10:59 PM
Yeah, the V2s need to gas up at lunch. No shot of making close to a full day...

rand49er
05-15-11, 07:00 AM
I'm in PA and plan to go. Still deciding if signing up or not. ...Do it! Can't be an 8+ hour drive like the rest of us, so do it! You'll never regret it.

Yeah, the V2s need to gas up at lunch. No shot of making close to a full day...I filled up just before V-Day I and good thing. Only got five sessions in and was pushing empty at the end of the day.

Guys, make sure you top off your tanks, you lucky dawgs!

rangerrob
05-16-11, 10:04 AM
Hey Guys,

I've been on hiatus for awhile... Still have the V! Checking to see if I'm free that weekend, if so, I'm in. Recently moved back to Indianapolis, any guys from here planning on going? I'm up for a V Convoy.

JimmyH
05-16-11, 12:37 PM
^rumour had it you sold your V.

rangerrob
05-16-11, 01:25 PM
Well I was trying to sell it at the end of last year... didn't have any buyers... i know I wasn't asking too much for it. If someone offered me 18-19k, I'd probably still sell it? The V2 is too appealing to sit around and still drive my 04. It'll be paid off in a 5 months, so I guess I will keep it for now.:suspense:

JDB
05-16-11, 03:52 PM
Do it! Can't be an 8+ hour drive like the rest of us, so do it! You'll never regret it.

I have plenty of seat time around tracks, just not in my V...yet. just on the fence...

thebigjimsho
05-16-11, 08:58 PM
I have plenty of seat time around tracks, just not in my V...yet. just on the fence...
Well, it's a great V track, so...

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
05-25-11, 07:37 AM
less than a month left until the big day! less than 20 spots left to fill so PLEASE sign up soon!

CadzillaTN
05-25-11, 04:56 PM
I won't be able to run my V but I need a nice long road trip. How much is it just to show up and drool?

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
05-26-11, 07:33 AM
everybody is welcome to come and hang out. if you want lunch it will cost $15.00 and I need TO KNOW IN ADVANCE OF VDAY!! that way there is enough food for everyone

JimmyH
05-26-11, 06:39 PM
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, would like to come and hang out. And meet you and JAMES! But it's just too far to drive right now. I am already setting aside several weekends for autocross. Wife would kill me if drove an entire weekend just to race.

Maybe when I get an ATS-V...

rjoffe
05-26-11, 07:40 PM
Bring family along, drop them off to sightsee in DC, and head to the track !

JimmyH
05-26-11, 08:23 PM
stop tempting me please, kthx :D

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
06-03-11, 07:39 AM
couple of things....only 3 weeks from today!! still about 10 spots left, please dont wait till the last minute to sign up!! also Andy Pilgrim has regretfully had to pull out from what would have been his 4th consectutive Vday.

AAIIIC
06-05-11, 10:43 PM
Anyone want to let me co-drive their car, since I ventilated the block on mine at VIR this weekend? :D

rjoffe
06-06-11, 08:34 AM
18 days !, you have plenty of time to put the air back in your block.

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 02:19 PM
Anyone want to let me co-drive their car, since I ventilated the block on mine at VIR this weekend? :D
Man, that sucks. I really wanted to run with you again this year...

AAIIIC
06-06-11, 06:27 PM
Oh, I'll still be there. I'll either drive my Subaru (likely) or my Mustang (less likely), or co-drive my brother's 3-series Bimmer. None of the above will as fast as the V, of course, but that's OK.

JDB
06-06-11, 10:04 PM

Uh oh... :-(

Pay my event fee and use your track pads?? ;)

Aurora40
06-07-11, 08:44 AM
Uh oh... :-(

Pay my event fee and use your track pads?? ;)
And, presumably, promise not to ventilate your block? ;)

JDB
06-07-11, 12:18 PM
And, presumably, promise not to ventilate your block? ;)

Yeah...that too!!

thebigjimsho
06-09-11, 02:10 PM
hmm...

PISNUOFF
06-10-11, 09:19 AM
Ok, Luke, I'm in. You talked me into it, send me the forms again.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
06-13-11, 02:18 PM
Just confirmed, Hampden Tener Cadillac Global Product Director will be on hand to answer any questions. about 10 driving spots left, PLEASE call or email to sign up!! as previously mentioned if you don't have any interest in the track but want to come hang out and take it all in PLEASE do. I want Cadillac to see what a big deal Vday is so they want to come back!

JFensty
06-13-11, 05:53 PM
Not coming to race but I'll be there to hang out.

rand49er
06-16-11, 11:15 PM
Got a "personal invite" in the mail today. I just can't do it this year.

BUT, as soon as the next one gets talked about here, I'm going to lobby hard with my wife to make it.

Guys, if you haven't been there, it's an experience you'll never forget.

Take it from me, treat yourself to a GREAT gift. Go. Do it. Some day, you'll be laying there in your smelly ol' death bed thinking, "DAMN! ... I should've gone to Summit Point when I had that chance back in 2011. Now, all I got is this ugly hospice nurse cramming these sedatives up my rear with those untrimmed nails."

Yeah, that's a terrible image, but it's more real than you know. Do it! You can thank me later.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
06-17-11, 08:43 AM
ONE WEEK until V-day!! 1-2 spots left to fill for the track. PLEASE come out and hang out with your fellow V brethren. Cadillac will be on hand with the backup CTS-V coupe racecar along with some folks from Cadillac (including an engineer from the proving grounds) that will be able to answer any V questions you have. Friday June 24th at Summit Point raceway (on the Summit Point circuit) in West Virginia. if you are wanting one of the last few spots for the track please call ASAP 703-647-8670 Thanks, Luke

jacobcalero
06-17-11, 03:46 PM
wish i could go

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
06-20-11, 09:11 AM
All the track spots are spoken for! please come out and enjoy the day. looks like good weather. if you are coming from out of town, most of the guys stay at this Hampton Inn the night before...540-678-4000. tell them you would like the Summit Point rate to get a discount

Aurora40
06-20-11, 01:29 PM
I flushed my brake fluid over the weekend with Valvoline synthetic. And checked the tires and the state of the pads. I've checked the fluid levels, and things all look good. Any other tips or things to do before Friday?

What's the word on cameras in the car? Do they have to be rigidly mounted? Or would something like a flipcam and a suction cup mount be ok?

I'm pretty excited!

ahahnu
06-20-11, 02:38 PM
In the Vday III thread (located in the sticky of questions) page 2 or 3 has a great list of over all stuff.

AAIIIC
06-20-11, 09:49 PM
Suction cup mount should be fine. That's what I use with my Chase Cams and I've never had anyone tell me it wasn't good enough at multiple track events. Some folks mount a lanyard of some sort to the camera so if the suction cup(s) let go the camera won't be flying free, but I've never done that.

yooper
06-20-11, 11:21 PM
Luke or anyone else, Please ask the engineer if the V2 rear cradle and diff will physically bolt up to the V1 chasis.

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 10:02 AM
What the hell is that?

JimmyH
06-21-11, 02:06 PM
Luke or anyone else, Please ask the engineer if the V2 rear cradle and diff will physically bolt up to the V1 chasis.

not without modifications.

qqik4u
06-21-11, 02:33 PM
Hello all - I will be ther again this year - Not going to miss any if could - that one's a year event that all must go: see you all there - BTW I decided to keep my 06 V and coupe will have to wait.....

Aurora40
06-21-11, 08:16 PM
In the Vday III thread (located in the sticky of questions) page 2 or 3 has a great list of over all stuff.

This: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/167123-v-day-iii-monday-june-29th-2.html#post1794290

Thanks for the heads up on it. Though I was hoping for a few small things, like add an extra quart of oil or that sort of thing. That post runs the gamut from change your brake fluid to get a bigger power steering cooler.

Do I need to remove the wheel center caps? If so, I wish I'd thought of it when the wheels were off to bleed the brakes...

AAIIIC
06-22-11, 09:00 AM
That list is certainly comprehensive, but it's probably overkill in some respects, and some of the comments are just wrong (IMO). I won't quote the whole thing, but addressing the things I think are inaccurate:

Running an extra 1/2qt of oil is a good idea. (The comment at that link that says, "Mobile [sic] 1 5w30 for racing, 10w30 for normal driving," is one that I would take issue with. Running a thinner oil for hard track running doesn't make any sense.)

There's no need to flush and refill the coolant system just to go to the track. My coolant has been changed once in 69k miles, and that was because the dealer had to remove the radiator to do other work.

I did my first couple/few events, and a couple auto-x events, with the stock PS fluid. It did eventually kill the pump, but I really think that was more the auto-x events rather than the track events. If your PS fluid is due for replacement, then I would definitely use good synthetic, but if it looks clean, I'm not sure I would bother changing the PS fluid just for a single track day.

Center caps don't have to come out, although it's not unheard of for cars to lose center caps on track (which is why some clubs require you to remove them). I know I lost a couple on my Subaru once, but they don't snap into the wheel nearly as tightly as the V ones do, so take that with a grain of salt.

Use blue painter's tape (rather than duct tape) if you want to tape off the front of the car, tape off your headlights, etc etc. There's no need to do either, but some people do. The front of the car does get "sand blasted" over time when you're running 130+mph on track. I didn't notice it after my first couple events, but now that the car has done 20+ days on track it's definitely noticeable. Some also put tape on the rockers behind the wheels, as that's a common area for rubber marks, so the tape just makes clean up after the event easier. I'm assuming there will be a photographer at the event, in which case some blue tape on the car might make it easier for you to find your car amongst the various Vs that are all the same color. :)

32/33psi in the tires seems pretty low to me. Obviously it depends on the tires, but when I was running street tires I was aiming for 40-42psi hot, which probably means you'll be starting in the mid/upper 30s cold. 40-42# seemed to work well both for Falken FK452s and Bridgestone RE01Rs. The TPMS sensors come in handy for figuring out what hot temperatures work on track, when the tires start to feel greasy, etc.

I don't know why it says to fill the tank only 3/4 full. :confused: And you might not be able to get to 1/4 tank before encountering fuel starvation. I leave "Fuel Used" called up on top of the Nav screen, and find that with R-compounds, I've gotten fuel starvation at 11.2gal used. So, I now fill up when I get to 10gal used. (That's a bit below 1/2 tank indicated on my car, so apparently someone at Cadillac isn't very good at math! :p)

I've never seen anyone put tape on their steering wheel to mark 12 o'clock.

The sunroof is required to be closed, and it has nothing to do with adding structural rigidity!

Typically a window must be rolled down if someone is in the associated seat. So, if you have an instructor, both front windows will be down. People have had problems with the "sail panels" (interior trim between the rear window and the rear doors) popping off at speed if the rear windows are down, so I always leave my rear windows up. If I don't have an instructor/passenger, I leave that front window up, too.

It can't hurt to have wheel chocks, but I just leave the car in gear and shut it off. The paddock is pretty much flat, so the car's not going to go anywhere. Applying the parking brake after coming off the track could warp the rear rotors and could result in the parking brake getting stuck (as the hot rotors contract). I've never actually seen anyone encounter either of those problems, but everyone says not to apply the parking brake for those reasons, so I don't. :)

JDB
06-23-11, 03:16 PM
Why you would add too much oil is beyond me. Just check that you're at Max/Full at the lunch break.

Be safe by watching every flag station, listen to your instructors, give people space, and don't be a meathead by not pointing people by who are behind you...aliens didn't drop them there...if they're faster than you some place on the track, then point them by and learn why they're quicker and pass them back.

Aurora40
06-23-11, 06:39 PM
Use blue painter's tape (rather than duct tape) if you want to tape off the front of the car, tape off your headlights, etc etc. There's no need to do either, but some people do. The front of the car does get "sand blasted" over time when you're running 130+mph on track. I didn't notice it after my first couple events, but now that the car has done 20+ days on track it's definitely noticeable. Some also put tape on the rockers behind the wheels, as that's a common area for rubber marks, so the tape just makes clean up after the event easier. I'm assuming there will be a photographer at the event, in which case some blue tape on the car might make it easier for you to find your car amongst the various Vs that are all the same color. :)

Thanks for the post. Your thoughts on much of it were similar to mine.

As for the tape, I use this product: http://prowax.com/specialty_products/S-10-22_Bug_Guard.html

I don't track my car, so I can't say for sure it works for that. But you can spray it on fairly thick if you do a couple of coats. The car looks normal except from close up where it's a little cloudy/goopy looking. Tape always weirds me out. For one, it's not all that thick. But for two, if a rock does chip the paint, it seems like the paint could peel it off and exacerbate the problem on removal.

I've coated my front end up with it, though. And used that Armor-All stuff on the wheels. We'll see how it all fares soon enough!

I suspect the parking brake thing is more a problem when you have a caliper-activated brake. Our drum-in-hat one seems unlikely to be a problem, but as you say, better safe than sorry.

AAIIIC
06-23-11, 10:33 PM
Why you would add too much oil is beyond me.
Because years of people open tracking and racing LS motors has shown that they are susceptible to oil starvation issues, particularly when running on sticky tires. Long left-hand turns in particular seem to be the Achilles' heel. Running an extra 1/2 to 1qt has been shown to help.

See you kids bright and early!

rand49er
06-24-11, 07:40 AM
Today's the day, you lucky dawgs!

Have a great V-Day!!!

CadzillaTN
06-24-11, 10:27 AM
:jealous:

rand49er
06-24-11, 12:03 PM
Just checking in ...

What, no "incidents" yet? J/k ... you guys enjoy this day!

JFensty
06-24-11, 06:25 PM
Didn't run today but had a blast watching the action. Worth the trip. Def will be driving mine next year.

JDB
06-24-11, 08:12 PM
The only incident that I saw was an original tire on an early V2 split and created a slow leak. The Cadillac guys that were there showcasing the V2 Coupe, , Sedan, and Wagon... they pulled the same wheel off of the show sedan and swapped it over so that he could get home. Talk about brand loyalty... and going above and beyond.

jwilson2598
06-24-11, 11:35 PM
That's pretty impressive on their part, kudos to them for doing that.

Aurora40
06-25-11, 09:13 AM
It was pretty incident-free. And a total blast! I confess, I beached my car on the 2nd to last novice session. I guess I didn't realize how much gas gets used up, I was at about 1/4 of a tank, and on the second lap my engine died approaching turn 3. I pushed the clutch in because it was pretty rough, which in retrospect was pretty dumb. Because I lost all power steering and brakes and went into the gravel. So sorry for anyone incovenienced by the yellow or by me limping back to the pit.

I did join a certain club though, I was pretty surprised to see this after the second session:

AAIIIC
06-25-11, 09:58 AM
All in all a good day. I obviously missed having my V out there, but the Subaru ran well all day.

Cadillac Racing was there with their big display rig, which was damn impressive. Here it was in the morning before they pulled out the race car and set up all the static displays and video monitors and what-not:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Auto-x%20and%20Track%20Days/V%20Day%205/Cadillac%20display%20rig1.jpg

http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Auto-x%20and%20Track%20Days/V%20Day%205/Cadillac%20display%20rig2.jpg

Of course, a couple shots of Andy's coupe:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Auto-x%20and%20Track%20Days/V%20Day%205/CTS-V%20racing%20coupe1.jpg

http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Auto-x%20and%20Track%20Days/V%20Day%205/CTS-V%20racing%20coupe2.jpg

http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Auto-x%20and%20Track%20Days/V%20Day%205/CTS-V%20racing%20coupe%20brakes.jpg

In normal pictures you don't get to see details like the adjustability of the rear wing:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Auto-x%20and%20Track%20Days/V%20Day%205/wing%20adjustment.jpg

Mr. Tener from Cadillac gave a nice little talk at lunch about how the V Division has really revitalized the brand and made a lot of people take notice. He pointed out that the V is outselling the M5 and E63 combined, the V sedan is outselling the M3 sedan, and the V coupe is neck-and-neck with the M3 coupe. I'm not surprised the V is outselling the M5 and E63, but the fact it's outselling them combined is pretty damn impressive.

I talked with him a little over by the display later in the afternoon. The first thing I asked was, "I'm not sure if you're the man to ask or if you're involved at all in the program, but what's the story on the ATS-V?" He deferred on that one, said something along the lines of, "Nobody is the right man to ask on that one, it's very close hold at this point." So, no scoops there. :)

Aurora40
06-25-11, 11:06 AM
Oh, whoever recommended that ArmorAll wheel protector stuff, kudos to you! My wheels were absolutely mint looking at the end of the day. I was blown away by that.

rand49er
06-25-11, 11:28 AM
Oh, whoever recommended that ArmorAll wheel protector stuff, kudos to you! My wheels were absolutely mint looking at the end of the day. I was blown away by that.That'd be JimmyH, IIRC.

Dang! No pics of guys going down straights or around corners?!! What's up with that?!! C'mon guys, post 'em up!

Aurora40
06-25-11, 11:37 AM
Here's a few short clips of cars going down the track. Mostly my car, but it was my wife filming, so what do you expect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VyL4ohSCjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cxmpksltA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhaqfqAIcA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXoEGrdO2yA

AAIIIC
06-25-11, 01:51 PM
I guess I didn't realize how much gas gets used up, I was at about 1/4 of a tank, and on the second lap my engine died approaching turn 3.
Hmmm, if only someone had posted advice about how to prevent fuel starvation... :p

I don't know why it says to fill the tank only 3/4 full. :confused: And you might not be able to get to 1/4 tank before encountering fuel starvation. I leave "Fuel Used" called up on top of the Nav screen, and find that with R-compounds, I've gotten fuel starvation at 11.2gal used. So, I now fill up when I get to 10gal used. (That's a bit below 1/2 tank indicated on my car...)

The big annoyance of the day for me was that my Chase Cam setup didn't want to work. For some reason the digital recorder wouldn't acknowledge that it was receiving video input from either camera, thus it wouldn't record anything. I haven't run the setup in the Subaru since I added the GPS, g-sensor, and OBD2 datalogging, so I was really curious to see what data the Subaru would generate.

With my instructor in the car I was topping out around 110mph into the braking zone for turn 1. With him out of the car I picked up another 3mph or so. Woohoo! Looking at my video footage from the V when I was at Summit back in March, I was faster between 9 and 10 (~117mph under the bridge) than the Subaru is on the main straight. On the main straight the V is already doing ~115mph at pit out, which is faster than the Subaru is doing when I hit the brakes a couple thousand feet later. :lol:

With that said, it was definitely nice to not have to worry about the brakes. I was braking at the 3 marker, and could've gone a little deeper. I hadn't even bothered to install the cooling ducts on the car, as I didn't think the brakes would be an issue. Doing some quick math, with the added ~800# and 25-30mph, the V is shedding almost 80% more kinetic energy in the braking zone for turn 1.

Aurora40
06-25-11, 03:18 PM
Hmmm, if only someone had posted advice about how to prevent fuel starvation... :p
Heheh, yeah yeah... I filled up the car before driving out there. I didn't realize you could use up so much gas, it didn't seem like I was out there all that long. I didn't really notice it was getting low until it was too late, there's so much going on all the time, I just didn't think about it.

ahahnu
06-25-11, 10:48 PM
Had a great time yesterday. Great to see everyone. Nice to meet some new people and see some familiar faces. V1 numbers are dwindling. Many more V2s and a coupe on the track. Just got home from my adventure about an hour ago. VdayV was a great success. Pulled some new personal highs on the g meter 1.08(L) 1.04(R) and in my instructors opinion did real well with my lines through the turns. As for the car, well it definitly didn't leave in the same shape it went. The gas issue... When leaving I has less then 1/4 a tank on the gauge. I filled up and put in 16.6 gallons! A few people had starvation from what I herd. Most if not everyone herd the car "creaking" when manuvering around the pits. I only herd that last night a little on my trip from Summit Point to Carlisle. Not once today from Carlisle to home did I hear it. However last night after I left the track I started hearing an audible screaching sound. Sounded like it was coming from my belt. AS the RPMs would go up it would get louder. Now I'm driving all back roads and as I'd enter towns for some reason lots of people were out and about. My car is screaching and creaking loudly causing lots of people to turn around. Needless to say it was quite embarrassing and interesting to say the least. Today, no screaching, just no A/C.

At the GM Nationals I saw a few Vs. Meguire's car products had a big semi there and on one side was a black V1 and the other was a V2 coupe. Some other person along the manufacture's midway had a coupe with a Lindsay badge. In the Cadillac area I was the only V1 and there were two silver and two black V2s. One V2 had 630hp to the wheels and sounded incredible. Had the engine area all carbon fiber (swade) and had all the chrone trim smoked. Looked real sweet. The burnt orange GTO from Vday (yellow group) was there as well. Didn't see the owner though. I did make out real nice here. After walking the field I came back to find a sticker and note saying I won a celebrity choice award. The person who selected me was Bill Miller the owner of the fairgrounds! I am quite honored.

Sunday Morning Update: Today I was finally able to give a good look into the engine compartment and see the smaller of the two belts on the engine is split in two and off of the pulleys on the engine... And when backing out of the garage I heard the loud creaking. Oh well.

ahahnu
06-25-11, 11:05 PM
This is at Carlisle
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0822.jpg

VdayV
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0775.jpg (javascript:void(0);)

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0811.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0802.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0797.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0792.jpg

As the rep said "The engine is set a little lower and further back then stock."

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0786.jpg

LS-A

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0784.jpg

I love the metal flake in the Black Diamond paint. Almost looked silver in the sun.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0777.jpg

Check out the brake dust

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0814.jpg

thebigjimsho
06-26-11, 12:19 AM
Glad you guys had fun! As did I, just did it shooting the p00p instead of driving...

rand49er
06-26-11, 08:20 AM
... As the rep said "The engine is set a little lower and further back then stock."

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/ahahnu/IMG_0786.jpg

GREAT intake!

jwilson2598
06-26-11, 10:42 PM
At the GM Nationals I saw a few Vs. Meguire's car products had a big semi there and on one side was a black V1 and the other was a V2 coupe. Some other person along the manufacture's midway had a coupe with a Lindsay badge. In the Cadillac area I was the only V1 and there were two silver and two black V2s. One V2 had 630hp to the wheels and sounded incredible. Had the engine area all carbon fiber (swade) and had all the chrone trim smoked. Looked real sweet. The burnt orange GTO from Vday (yellow group) was there as well. Didn't see the owner though. I did make out real nice here. After walking the field I came back to find a sticker and note saying I won a celebrity choice award. The person who selected me was Bill Miller the owner of the fairgrounds! I am quite honored.

I wish I had seen you near your car, I would have said hi. Very nice looking ride, I was up for the day myself. Congrats on winning the award!

Aurora40
06-26-11, 11:10 PM
GREAT intake!

Does anyone repro that restrictor? It looks sexy! I'd rock that thing, and slap some :v: badges on it.

JDB
07-06-11, 09:56 AM
Because years of people open tracking and racing LS motors has shown that they are susceptible to oil starvation issues, particularly when running on sticky tires. Long left-hand turns in particular seem to be the Achilles' heel. Running an extra 1/2 to 1qt has been shown to help.

See you kids bright and early!

Interesting...good to know. So, the manual says 6.0 is the capacity yet people are putting in 6.5 for normal daily driving. If I put in 6.0 with the larger M1 filter, dip stick reads just below full...maybe 7/8ths between the MIN and MAX marks. So, maybe the extra space is in the oil filter and 6.25 quarts would make it full (depending upon how much you can get out on ramps). Saying that, how much over "full" are people running on the track? 7.0 qts total??...that would be about .75 qts over full on the dip stick. Where on the dip stick are people filling to?

I assume we're doing this because of oil starvation issues, but we don't want to add to much and have the crank splashing in the oil in the pan = foam.

Did you break open your motor yet to see what caused your issue?

AAIIIC
07-06-11, 02:20 PM
I believe the manual says 6qt + filter for the LS6, which works out to roughly 6.5qt for me. I add about 1/2qt beyond that when I go to the track. As you said, you don't want the oil level too high to keep it below the crank.

FWIW, running 1/2 to 1qt extra is hardly specific to LS motors. I would say such measures are pretty common at track days regardless of marque.

As for my engine, based on what I've seen thus far, I think the rod bolts on #5 failed and everything cascaded from there. The #5 rod and piston are gone, #6 rod is broken but the two ends are still attached to the piston and crank.

JDB
07-06-11, 03:42 PM
I believe the manual says 6qt + filter for the LS6, which works out to roughly 6.5qt for me. I add about 1/2qt beyond that when I go to the track. As you said, you don't want the oil level too high to keep it below the crank.

FWIW, running 1/2 to 1qt extra is hardly specific to LS motors. I would say such measures are pretty common at track days regardless of marque.

As for my engine, based on what I've seen thus far, I think the rod bolts on #5 failed and everything cascaded from there. The #5 rod and piston are gone, #6 rod is broken but the two ends are still attached to the piston and crank.

Thanks, will do. I'm headed to NJMP on T'bolt with PCA on 7/8 with some old Audi buddies, which none of them are bringing an Audi....most are bringing M3s or a Porsche, and an Exige and my V.

Sucks about your motor. New motor time? Plans? GL!

Aurora40
07-08-11, 08:49 AM
Here's one novice lap around Summit Main in my car:

-CPXSffoqxs

Video was taken with my cell phone, but it's decent quality. The audio is pretty bad, it picks up a lot of wind noise.

rjoffe
07-08-11, 09:02 AM
How did you have your phone mounted ?

Aurora40
07-08-11, 04:03 PM
suction cup to the windshield. You can see the mount a bit on the right side of the picture.