: Warranty is ending soon

Cadillac_STS
03-14-11, 04:07 AM
My Cadillac is done 74,000 km (46,000 miles) and the warrantly will end soon because of 5 year time limit, not the milage.

I have had the dealer do the 80,000 km service on the car, I was wondering what other things I should ask them to check before the warranty will expire.

I am worried mainly about the transmission but I have no idea how to simulate trouble or fault, any other things I should complain about?

I had them, change:

2 TPMS
Water Pump
Spark Plugs
Brakes
A/C air filter

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Lifer
03-14-11, 11:12 AM
My 06 STS v8 has three hundred miles to go until the warranty is kaput. Last week the dealership replaced the thermostat and water pump - said they might have detected a very minor leak, so it was changed.

Today it is back to the dealer because the cruise will not engage when I press the button on the stalk. Thy asked if the CE light was on, as this disables the cruise. No. Then it may be a brake switch or something else. It worked in December.

I do wish to state that this STS remains flawless, comfortable, shiny, clean; it is a solid, well-built car, and I have had very little problems since day one (a few miles on it) It was built Oct 05 but was sold as new until 5/07. If you take care of it, it will last a long time.

SlickCityStan
03-14-11, 12:31 PM
have you checked on getting an extended warranty? There aresome available either through GM or aftermarket.

BaTu
03-14-11, 01:53 PM
Yea, why wouldn't you Re-Up?

NOW's when you're REALLY gonna need it! ;)

KRSTS
03-14-11, 02:04 PM
:confused:I am worried mainly about the transmission but I have no idea how to simulate trouble or fault, any other things I should complain about?

What do you mean "simulate trouble or fault"? Are you asking how to make a dealer believe there is something wrong with your transmission so he will replace under warranty?:wtf:

Cadillac_STS
03-14-11, 03:03 PM
:confused:
What do you mean "simulate trouble or fault"? Are you asking how to make a dealer believe there is something wrong with your transmission so he will replace under warranty?:wtf:

What I really meant: is to push the transmission thorugh tough points to show if there is in fact a problem with it. not to scam the dealer.

What is worrying me, is the shift from 2nd to 3rd, when I increase the speed from 20-40km/h, and let go of the throttle I hear a thumb, I guess this is 3rd gear engaging or the TC locking. It happens especialy in the morning when I just started and drove the car. How can you tell if the transmission is bad?

chazglenn3
03-14-11, 04:07 PM
Well, I have only had my '05 STS for a couple of weeks, but if the transmission is anywhere near as tough as the 4T-80E that is in my '00 STS I would say that failures are very rare. That thump you are feeling sounds like some kind of slack in the driveline to me.

KRSTS
03-14-11, 06:42 PM
What I really meant: is to push the transmission thorugh tough points to show if there is in fact a problem with it. not to scam the dealer.

What is worrying me, is the shift from 2nd to 3rd, when I increase the speed from 20-40km/h, and let go of the throttle I hear a thumb, I guess this is 3rd gear engaging or the TC locking. It happens especialy in the morning when I just started and drove the car. How can you tell if the transmission is bad?

Sorry. If there really is a problem, by all means get it taken care while the car is still under warranty. I would take it to an independent mechanic I really trust to get an opinion. Then you can go to the dealer prepared,

Cadillac_STS
03-15-11, 02:39 AM
My 06 STS v8 has three hundred miles to go until the warranty is kaput. Last week the dealership replaced the thermostat and water pump - said they might have detected a very minor leak, so it was changed.

Today it is back to the dealer because the cruise will not engage when I press the button on the stalk. Thy asked if the CE light was on, as this disables the cruise. No. Then it may be a brake switch or something else. It worked in December.

I do wish to state that this STS remains flawless, comfortable, shiny, clean; it is a solid, well-built car, and I have had very little problems since day one (a few miles on it) It was built Oct 05 but was sold as new until 5/07. If you take care of it, it will last a long time.

I love the car too and I believe it is strong, my water pump was replaced too 2 months ago, when the car had 70,000 km on it. It looks like this is the lifespan of the water pump, it fails around 70 k. I think the TPMS fail around the same time because they replaced 2 already, I feel the remaining too will fail soon as well.

I am trying to get extended warranty from the dealer, but I am not sure if they will offer it. I think they will offer services only, like oil change etc... but not warranty on the parts such as Engine and Transmission.