: Oil cooler under the intake, see what I did to it and give me a comment

edgrmndz
03-14-11, 12:01 AM
The water was taking in oil, the water was already brown and really oily, I did all the work to remove the cooler,, (see the pictures I posted) but when it came to replace the cooler it was just too expensive so I just bypass it, hacked off the
lines and put a hose from on plug to the other plug by the oil filter.
Now the question is: what is going to happen?? I figured nothing. but I am no expert and I think the oil is already pretty hot in there and a few more degrees won't do much harm.

catera00
03-14-11, 07:04 PM
Other than not cool the oil, I cant think of any problems. This is a picky engine that runs hot so I dont know if its gonna freak out now that the oil isnt cooled via the oil cooler. As long as you sealed up the cover plate since there will still be coolant flowing under it. Youll have to let us know what your temp gauge and oil pressure gauge report this summer.

retho78
03-14-11, 11:59 PM
I think the same the engine might freak out since it won't cool the oil. In my opinion, you should have replaced the oil cooler since you spend the time taking everything apart. Like cater00 said, keep us posted how the temp gauge and oil the pressure reads this summer.

CaddyshackCadillac
03-15-11, 12:11 AM
Definitely a risky gamble ....just not one Ide be willing to risk

waco-brian
03-16-11, 06:07 AM
what did you do with the oil cooler? I on my 1st go at this i removed the oil cooler, put an exteral cooler in the grill, JB weld the holes closed on the cover plate, worked for couple years til the JB weld broke loose, this time i made a stainless steel plate to go between the block and cover plate, red rtv it in,works good so far

edgrmndz
03-16-11, 11:59 PM
I had the holes welded; a small piece was welded on the rear of the plate and on the other side it was filled with aluminum welding, but I filled it up even more
with jb weld just to make sure all the pores were closed. i trust jb weld you can tell i am the kind of guy who uses it.

CaddyshackCadillac
03-17-11, 01:29 AM
Ya know I just read a bit about this on a saab forum seemed to work for him good luck keep us posted