: Anyone know anything about the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe?

ga_etc
03-13-11, 11:10 PM
Found an '88 that I'm seriously considering if it's in as good of condition as it looks in the pictures. Planning on looking at it tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has had one or knows what to really look for on them. The guy claims it's had a fair amount of work and upgrades done to it. Thoughts? Info?

Here's the car: 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2262813879.html)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-11, 11:14 PM
I don't know much about stock T-bird Turbo Coupes, but seeing the list of modifications on that one, I'd steer clear. You're selling the Eldorado to avoid any expensive headaches, and this looks like it could be a potential cluster****. Remember Austin, most times someone is selling a car, it's because it's got a problem they wanna shove off on someone else.

I still think a stock, unmodified Panther platform is still your best choice. Good solid, reliable, well tested cars.

ga_etc
03-13-11, 11:24 PM
I like the Panther platform. Honestly, and I really wouldn't mind having one. I'm open to the idea of something a little more fun too. You've heard me talk about enough different cars by now to know that just cause I look doesn't mean it's coming home with me lol. I might take one look at it in person and run the other direction. Still trying to work a deal on that '98 GM down towards ATL with 104k.

Jesda
03-13-11, 11:29 PM
I'm thinking its had a pretty hard life.

190hp I4 and weighs probably over 3100lbs. Might do 0-60 in 8 seconds? Similar to my old Saab.

ga_etc
03-13-11, 11:35 PM
Well, there's always this... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=294952324

orconn
03-13-11, 11:55 PM
Well, as I've mentioned on the forum before, I inherited a 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with 14,000 miles on it when the car was about 8 years old. It had been my stepfathers car, which he bought new in 1985, then it passed to my mother, the proverbial "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" when my stepfather went blind two weeks after buying the car.

My wife decide she wanted to drive it as her DD on her 100 (round trip) mile daily commute from L.A. to Orange County. During my wife's use of the car it ran well and held up fairly well. She put another 15,000 miles on it.

Driving impressions of the car are as follows. The car was a very good handler for an American car of the eighties; it cornered and stopped very well. This particular car was and automatic which again was a decent for feeway driving. My only real complaint with the car was that in city traffic the the little four cylinder engine just was very slow till the turbo cut in, which city traffic didn't allow to happen very often. The car being a real "sport coupe" was rather tightly suspended and the steering was fairly quick with more feel than you would expect of a Ford. The car just wasn't very quick, unless you had room to wind it out a bit.

My biggest complaint with the car was that the driver's side door panel and arm rest came loose and was never able to be fixed properly so would dislodge itself every time you tried to closed the driver's door.

Eventually my son took over the TB Turbo and drove it to High School his senior year. Not being a car guy he was not very impressed with this "poor man's" sports coupe. But truthfully they were pretty impressive in the mid-eighties, although I would have preferred a V-* version with all the goodies of the Turbo Coupe. For me it would have made a much better overall car.

However, your liking of the refinements and performance of your Eldorado, and the "Luxo cruiser" attributes of the Buick does not bode well for your enjoyment of the Turbo Coupe; a very different kind of car!

ga_etc
03-14-11, 12:04 AM
I can appreciate most cars for what they are. That's why I like the Roadmaster as much as I do. I like a lot of different cars. But at this point, nothing is a foregone conclusion. I'm just looking at options.

ga_etc
03-14-11, 12:12 AM
Really like this too.http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=293285669

ThumperPup
03-14-11, 12:30 AM
not familiar with the Turbo Coupe but the Mid erly to Mid 90s T-bird SC was awesome i was just about to buy one and then the day after i left my refundable deposit on it the tranny blew so i got that deposit back
they tried to pull it into the bay to clean it up got it in there but when they went to pull it out R did not work

Aron9000
03-14-11, 01:04 AM
Austin, that turbo coupe looks like a real nightmare. Yeah it might have a bunch of new parts on it, rebuilt engine, but you know how old rednecks wrench on their cars and hack them up. Even if it was a well preserved car with the proper work done on it, I wouldn't trust a 20+ year old, low production, turbocharged car to be all that reliable.

If you want something from that era of Ford, stick to a Town Car, Mustang, or Thunderbird with the multiport fuel injected 5.0 V8.

ga_etc
03-14-11, 01:05 AM
TP, Completely different. No help. And this one is a stick, not auto.

ga_etc
03-14-11, 01:08 AM
Austin, that turbo coupe looks like a real nightmare. Yeah it might have a bunch of new parts on it, rebuilt engine, but you know how old rednecks wrench on their cars and hack them up. Even if it was a well preserved car with the proper work done on it, I wouldn't trust a 20+ year old, low production, turbocharged car to be all that reliable.

If you want something from that era of Ford, stick to a Town Car, Mustang, or Thunderbird with the multiport fuel injected 5.0 V8.

Random CL find. There's no telling what I may or may not end up with. I'd rather go back to a larger 4 door truthfully. That's why the Panther's have my interest.

Aron9000
03-14-11, 01:24 AM
Random CL find. There's no telling what I may or may not end up with. I'd rather go back to a larger 4 door truthfully. That's why the Panther's have my interest.

Would you be interested in a navy blue 1991 Brougham?

ga_etc
03-14-11, 01:41 AM
You know better than to tempt me with that car.

billc83
03-14-11, 01:54 AM
My biggest complaint with the car was that the driver's side door panel and arm rest came loose and was never able to be fixed properly so would dislodge itself every time you tried to closed the driver's door.

^ This. The arm rest drove me nuts because that was where you grip it to close the door.

I didn't own a Turbo or Super Coupe, but my '93 T-Bird was, for the most part, reliable (if dull) transportation. Just a bunch of little problems that added up over time. It also went through two alternators within a 6 month span.

$3,800 seems expensive for an '88. Talk to the seller and gauge him for whether the modifications were done properly or if you're walking into a hack job. Act accordingly.

Sevillian273
03-14-11, 07:03 AM
I think it's funny how half the vehicles for sale on craigslist/AT have 'rebuilt' engines - with "*LOW LOW MILES*" since rebuild!

I say receipts or it didnt happen. :thumbsup:

Destroyer
03-14-11, 11:58 AM
I had one. Mine was an '85 silver/gray 5 spd. The '87 was nicer and had 30 or so more horsepower. It was a good car and it was fun to drive. The motors are basically old Pinto motors reworked. They are buzzy and they are not high revving motors like the Japanese cars. They actually sound and feel like they will explode after 5k rpm or so. I find these cars to be more attractive than Mustangs of the same vintage, more comfortable and generally nicer. Too bad Ford didn't offer this car with the H.O. 5.0. It is an easy swap to do though. :yup:

Rolex
03-14-11, 12:14 PM
Those were fast cars for their day, but would be dogs against a stock Honda Civic nowadays. Still it's a good looking car, but keep in mind that nobody bought those cars to baby them. It's old, been driven hard, and has been shade tree mechanic'ed on. The next gen Thunderbird SC was a big step forward in performance. I used to want one of those SCs sooo bad in HS.

hueterm
03-14-11, 12:40 PM
I think top speed on them was like 135 MPH, which was unheard of in the late '80s -- especially in that kind of car.

EcSTSatic
03-14-11, 01:06 PM
I bought mine new and had it for 18 years. I loved the car but since was only in production for 2 years (the intercooled TC), so parts are hard/impossible to find and expensive.

Looking at the mods, two questions I have are: does it still have the autoride suspension (probably not, you can't get the struts anymore) and did he do away with the ABS system when he swapped in the Mustang master cylinder? The TC had a unique (read expensive) nitrogen charged M/C.

The boost valve, adj cam pulley and 3" downpipe are typical TC mods. Find out if the heater core was ever replaced. That was a common problem and very involved to fix.

Sounds like a nice car but I'd say it was way overpriced

hueterm
03-14-11, 01:09 PM
BTW...you SO need to run away from this...

orconn
03-14-11, 01:54 PM
Interestingly, back in the day, R&T or C&D did a comparison road test between a BMW 635 and a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. While the finish and materials of the BMW were better and handling more refined, the TB Turbo's numbers and impression were very close to the BMW's number and overall impression. Quite surprising given the extreme difference in price.

When my stepfather got his, he let me drive it through the twisties of Griffith Park in L.A. I remember that the TB Turbo handled better and was quicker (once the Turbo kicked in) than my '84 Audi 5000S Avant (a car that was much touted by the automotive press of the day). In the mid eighties the Thunder bird Turbo Coupe was a real performance bargain and the build quality and available accessories was way ahead of the competition.

hueterm
03-14-11, 03:14 PM
Those were fast cars for their day, but would be dogs against a stock Honda Civic nowadays. Still it's a good looking car, but keep in mind that nobody bought those cars to baby them. It's old, been driven hard, and has been shade tree mechanic'ed on. The next gen Thunderbird SC was a big step forward in performance. I used to want one of those SCs sooo bad in HS.

I did too....

Aron9000
03-14-11, 03:15 PM
Orconn, you have to remember that these Thunderbirds had NOTHING on a Buick Grand National or T-type Regal back in the day. I'm sure they handled better, but IMO the Buick is a superior car in every other respect, styling, interior appointments, ride, not to mention how that turbo six under the hood delivered mind boggling acceleration.

orconn
03-14-11, 03:35 PM
Orconn, you have to remember that these Thunderbirds had NOTHING on a Buick Grand National or T-type Regal back in the day. I'm sure they handled better, but IMO the Buick is a superior car in every other respect, styling, interior appointments, ride, not to mention how that turbo six under the hood delivered mind boggling acceleration.

I have no real basis for a comparison between two Buick products you mention and the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I do doubt the Buicks handles as well as the Thunderbird Turbo ( which really was one of the best handling American cars of that era), but I wouldn't be surprised if the Buicks were a lot faster. I also don't remember Buicks of that era having exceptional build quality. I do seem to remember some members stating that while Buick Grand National hand a potent power source the car was not very high quality in the body build and interior area ... "a rattly pile" was the term I seem to remember. As far as looks go that is a matter of personal preference .... to each his own! I am not a big fan of the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe of the mid eighties, but I have to admit it was fairly decent compared to other cars available at the time.

Stingroo
03-14-11, 06:26 PM
The Regal GNX was the fastest regular production car in the world in 1987.

Food for thought.

ga_etc
03-14-11, 06:55 PM
Waiting on the guy with the T-bird to call me to go take a look at it. I went and looked at two cars here in town earlier too though. A '98 Grand Prix GT sedan and a '93 Lexus LS400. I like the LS but the whole point of getting rid of the Eldo is to avoid potentially expensive repairs. They told me that they'd trade with me on the Eldo for $1500 on the LS too. More than I really want to go. I'm really leaning towards the GP GT right now. It has high mileage, 184k, but the old car is still tight as a new one, in nice shape, and they'll let me keep my new tires that I just put on the Eldo. They said they'd fix the bad wheel bearing and swap out the tires on the cars and trade with me for the Eldo and $900. I may just bite the bullet and do it to avoid the possible expenses with the ETC. I guess tomorrow is decision day.

Playdrv4me
03-14-11, 07:03 PM
Omni GLH...

cadillac kevin
03-14-11, 07:20 PM
so $900 + an eldo will get you a grand am? doesn't sound like a fair trade IMO.

ga_etc
03-14-11, 07:24 PM
Grand Prix. And no, it's not the best deal, but apparently retail on a clean Eldorado has hit rock bottom. Even a '99 ETC.

orconn
03-14-11, 07:38 PM
Save yourself the $1500. or $900. continue to drive the Eldorado. 184,000 miles on a Pontiac Grand Prix plus $900. is a sucker deal. The Grand Prix has more than likely been driven hard and you have no idea of its' weaknesses. Keep what you've got and take your chances with a car you already know and enjoy!

Stingroo
03-14-11, 07:44 PM
^ What he said.

hueterm
03-14-11, 08:14 PM
You need to stay away from these 200K mile cars...just wait until you find a Panther that is a similar deal to the one you found earlier. A beat down GP is not a solution. Nor is an old LS. If you're going to do those, just keep what you have.

jayoldschool
03-14-11, 09:10 PM
They used a Tbird TC on one of the episodes of Top Gear USA. Worth a view...

Destroyer
03-14-11, 09:35 PM
The Regal GNX was the fastest regular production car in the world in 1987.

Food for thought.In the world? Really? NOT:thumbsup:

ga_etc
03-14-11, 09:46 PM
Just got home from looking at the Turbo Coupe. I could be in trouble. I like that little car. It's clean as hell and sharp. He's the one who had the motor rebuilt and knows everything about the car and doesn't live too far from me. He has been using it as his daily driver and putting 1100 miles a week on it and is after an automatic, where I want another straight shift. I really think I might pull the trigger and trade with him.

Stingroo
03-14-11, 09:52 PM
Sorry, you are correct. My source sucked. It was, however, the fastest American production car.

Destroyer
03-15-11, 11:24 AM
Sorry, you are correct. My source sucked. It was, however, the fastest American production car.It wasn't even the fastest car in America but it was the quickest as far as acceleration goes. The Vette and even Iroc/Formula with the TPI 5.7 motors were faster but the GN and GNX were quicker down the drag strip. Not by much though. The Mustang 5.0 wasn't far off either.

Playdrv4me
03-15-11, 06:38 PM
It wasn't even the fastest car in America but it was the quickest as far as acceleration....

http://beta.defsounds.com/wp-content/uploads/xzibit.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-11, 07:11 PM
Just got home from looking at the Turbo Coupe. I could be in trouble. I like that little car. It's clean as hell and sharp. He's the one who had the motor rebuilt and knows everything about the car and doesn't live too far from me. He has been using it as his daily driver and putting 1100 miles a week on it and is after an automatic, where I want another straight shift. I really think I might pull the trigger and trade with him.

You're in for a ride, and I don't mean that in the good way.

Shadetree mechanic + modified 23 year old car w/ hard to find drivetrain parts and servicability = bad bad idea, especially when you're trying to avoid any more expensive repairs. Not to mention you're trading a '99 Eldorado for an '88 Thunderbird. Just keep the Eldorado and find a nice panther platform.

Jesda
03-15-11, 07:15 PM
That's what I hate about owning these 80s-designed cars I love so much. Unless they were ubiquitous like full size Cadillacs and Chevys, every major part is out of stock or out of production and you're entirely reliant on the corpses of the dead to keep rolling. The exception to this is BMW.

hueterm
03-15-11, 07:28 PM
Or to build on what Chad said....keep the Eldo UNTIL you can find a nice Panther to TRADE it for...

You do not want this T-Bird...

ga_etc
03-15-11, 07:29 PM
It might be a horrendously bad idea, but it keeps life interesting.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-11, 07:30 PM
And it keeps you in the poor house.

You just keep trying to justify any reason to buy it. Don't blame us when you're broke and stuck with a 23 year old POS that's always broken down.

ga_etc
03-15-11, 07:40 PM
Why on Earth would I blame my friends on here for a decision I made? We've met, hung out, and talked a reasonable amount. Do you really think I'm that petty? I know if I trade and it takes a shit on me it's no one's fault but my own.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-11, 08:12 PM
No, but I just don't wanna see you in a car that's gonna be more of a headache and a hit to your wallet than your Eldorado. Remember, until this minor misfire issue (which may very well be just a bad coil or a carbon buildup like I said), the Eldorado was running extremely beautifully. I think it's time we step back and look at this big picture and maybe unwind and take a real good look at what else is on the market and ask yourself if it's gonna provide you with as many classy, fun, carefree miles as that Eldorado has.

Just step back and look at it like that...we'll get this fixed and you can then either decide to keep the Eldorado, or trade it off on something worthy of an Eldorado.

Even if this '88 Thunderbird was mint and low mileage and well maintained, you're still going from a '99 ETC to an '88 Thunderbird. Look at how bad the interior on the '88 is...it just looks nasty and cheap. The Eldorado's interior is still beautiful and shows a great design all the way back from 1996. The Northstar makes great power and has been very pleasant and enjoyable to drive, without any headaches and fusses. That 2.3 turbo was a coarse, peaky, torqueless engine back in the day, and even with those modifications I still bet it's slower than your Eldorado, and I bet it drinks the fuel about as bad too, considering everything is modified for more power. It won't ride as nice, it won't be as powerful or as fun to drive, you'll miss that V8 soundtrack, nobody will want to touch it because it's so heavily modded and forget about reselling it ever unless someone wants to trade you for it.

Honestly if you NEED to get rid of that Eldorado and want something more fun to drive, with a manual, find a nice fox body Mustang 5.0. Even if they were modded, the parts are SO MUCH easier to find than they would be for this Mustang, and so much cheaper, and it's such a more fun car to drive.

Jesda
03-15-11, 08:17 PM
How is the suspension? Is it still tight? Steering still sharp? What did you think overall?

Its usually structural things that quietly sneak up on older cars.

EcSTSatic
03-15-11, 10:11 PM
I beg to differ. IF all of the TC systems are fully functional and in good working order you will love the handling and power of the car. The only caveat, and the reason I sold mine as mentioned before is it is expensive to impossible to keep everything working correctly. The motor is indestructible but everything else can be an issue. I hope he hasn't been overboosting it.

If I was looking for a pocket rocket sleeper I'd look for an SVO Mustang with the same engine.

Playdrv4me
03-15-11, 10:48 PM
He's out driving it right now. One thing I know he told me is that the shocks were disconnected and as such, permanently set to FIRM. But he said everything else otherwise worked... A/C, Sunroof, brakes, Power windows, locks, all the modifications were professionally done and NOT a hack job, and that the car looked very very clean to his eyes. He had not yet driven it though, which is what he is apparently doing now, or was doing earlier.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-11, 11:47 PM
Oh, well I guess if it was done professionally and not just slopped together, than that'll make a big difference. I've just seen so many horror stories because someone bought a modded car that was hacked together.

ga_etc
03-15-11, 11:49 PM
The shocks still work, just unplugged because he wanted it to stay set to "firm". The trans has had a shift kit added. 3.55 gears in the rear end and it's limited slip. The interior is clean. No rips or tears in the seats. Sunroof, power mirrors, power seats, power lumbar, and windows work as they are supposed to. Even the system that tells you if door is open works. It has been repainted the original white less than a year ago, and all of the motor work was professionally done to the tune of $1,900. The steering is tight and handles great.

I know I'm going to catch unheard of levels of shit, but the deed is done. It's sitting in the driveway.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110315_225438.jpg

ben.gators
03-16-11, 12:50 AM
ga_etc
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
Cadillac(s) I Drive: 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe & 1992 Roadmaster

Oh, Eldo is gone! It is somehow ironic, Cadillacs I drive, Ford Thunderbird and Buick Roadmaster! :D

gdwriter
03-16-11, 01:15 AM
It's not something I would have done (but then I adore my Seville), but that T-Bird looks pretty sharp. Hope it serves you well.

ben.gators
03-16-11, 01:26 AM
:yeah:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-11, 07:34 AM
That looks better than I expected. Good luck!

We will need more pics and videos though.

Destroyer
03-16-11, 08:13 AM
Even if this '88 Thunderbird was mint and low mileage and well maintained, you're still going from a '99 ETC to an '88 Thunderbird. Look at how bad the interior on the '88 is...it just looks nasty and cheap. The Eldorado's interior is still beautiful and shows a great design all the way back from 1996. The Northstar makes great power and has been very pleasant and enjoyable to drive, without any headaches and fusses. That 2.3 turbo was a coarse, peaky, torqueless engine back in the day, and even with those modifications I still bet it's slower than your Eldorado, and I bet it drinks the fuel about as bad too, considering everything is modified for more power. It won't ride as nice, it won't be as powerful or as fun to drive, you'll miss that V8 soundtrack, nobody will want to touch it because it's so heavily modded and forget about reselling it ever unless someone wants to trade you for it.

Yet somehow the Turbo Coupe still seems like the cooler of the two cars. Note that the '87 TC was Motor Trends car of the year back then. It's a cool looking car that you don't see much of these days but it's also a good driving car. The fact that it IS basically a Mustang is good too. That means the 5.0 is an easy and worthwhile swap.

Destroyer
03-16-11, 08:15 AM
I know I'm going to catch unheard of levels of shit, but the deed is done. It's sitting in the driveway.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110315_225438.jpgNot from me. I think the car looks killer with those Cobra wheels. I have always liked the Turbo Coupes. Good luck with it :cool2:

Stingroo
03-16-11, 08:43 AM
I'm gonna give this one thumb up. Need moar picharz and videos to decide.

:postpics:

ejguillot
03-16-11, 09:21 AM
If the mechanicals beneath are as good as the exterior, you should be all right. Good luck!

johnny kannapo
03-16-11, 09:37 AM
Actually the 2.3L SOHC turbo coupe is a very sturdy powerful engine. High perf mods are widely availiable for it and 300 bolt on HP is easy money. I worked on a friends a 89 Merkur 4XRTi that would pin you back in the seat hard once you got by the lag time. It ate C4 transmissions for lunch. Its the same engine. A very quick machine.

EcSTSatic
03-16-11, 09:51 AM
I would challenge the owner's statement that he disconnected the shocks because he wanted them set to firm all the time. There's a switch on the dash to do just that. I'll bet that e-Shocks don't work anymore.
He must have done a 5-lug conversion to mount those wheels. The TCs came with 4-lugs. What's this about a shift kit? I thought it was a 5-speed? Test the shifting carefully, the clutch forks wore out on these birds.

I think you'll love this car. I did mine :thumbsup:

ted tcb
03-16-11, 10:43 AM
Great looking T Bird.

I owned a brand new, black 1988 T Bird sport. Basically, it was a T Bird with
nice rims, Turbo seats, and a detuned 155hp 5L V8.
As others have said, build quality was typical eighties domestic ... I remember
my front wheel bearings failing within the first 12 months.

I always regretted not going for the Turbo Bird ... nicer front end (no grill), plus
sunroof.

Tough call on the trade ... the Eldo is one of my favourite cars, and is a much
newer design.

Enjoy your new ride ... at least you don't need to worry about the Northstar
anymore.

ga_etc
03-16-11, 12:42 PM
Quick update. At work on my phone so it'll be short. So car the car is doing good. Got a couple of little things that need adjustment but nothing big. Biggest thing right now is getting to know the car and get settled in. Pics and a video or two to come. Promise.

AlBundy
03-16-11, 03:37 PM
I had a 92 T-Bird and your right, the arm rest was a problem. That car had a very big heavy door and the arm rest couldn't handle it.

orconn
03-16-11, 03:44 PM
There are some who would say the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe would be more age appropriate than the Eldorado ETC, but I wouldn't! Nevertheless you should have a good time with the manual transmisiion and the "sticky" tires and supension. The car, judging from the photos, is certainly presentable and I hope you have good luck with your new transportation!

Playdrv4me
03-16-11, 04:25 PM
So it sounds like this is a stout motor to begin with, and on top of that this one has forged internals... then it's mated to a balls simple stickshift transmission. Sounds like this car should have a lot more life in it and be relatively headache free. Knock on wood.

Sevillian273
03-16-11, 04:30 PM
I had a 92 T-Bird and your right, the arm rest was a problem. That car had a very big heavy door and the arm rest couldn't handle it.

Haha, even going all the way back to 1969 my T-bird also has that problem.

Even if the turbo coupe isnt as nice as the Eldorado, the car still has some 'cool factor' going on there.

ga_etc
03-16-11, 04:57 PM
More than just "some". It just looks mean. Plus it has a mild cam in it. Ok, so it's just 4 cylinder, but it's still entertaining.

Stingroo
03-16-11, 05:06 PM
:postpics:

ben.gators
03-16-11, 05:31 PM
Is there a famous forum for Ford Thunderbird owners?
Do you know what will be epic? The previous owner of Thunderbird, who can be a member of that forum, sends a thread about this trade too! His own comments and the comments of other Thunderbird owners about the trade can be very interesting... :D

Sevillian273
03-16-11, 05:32 PM
^Precisely why I will never be able to sell my Seville.

AlBundy
03-16-11, 05:42 PM
It was a solid cad. Had the 5.0 in it. I would have modded it up to mustange gt status but I was clueless about cars then.

ga_etc
03-16-11, 08:02 PM
As promised, more pics.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110316_185527.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110316_185514.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110316_185457.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110316_185547.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110316_185558.jpg

And to make things better, now the car has to go to the body shop. I was rear ended on the way home from work. Light damage thank God. The bumper is going to have to be repainted.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110316_182212.jpg

A guy in a Maxima rolled into me at a red light about 2 miles from the house.

Stingroo
03-16-11, 08:07 PM
No underhood pics? No videos?

This thread is a disappointment.

Sevillian273
03-16-11, 08:15 PM
Looks great! Rare to see one in that good of shape.

I wanna hear some FoMoCo turbo whistle!:burn:

ga_etc
03-16-11, 08:27 PM
Ray, I'll get some underhood pics tomorrow. The sun has set now. It's really pretty under there.

And the turbo has been upgraded. It now has a T3 turbo on it. The damn thing sounds like a diesel when it spools.

Playdrv4me
03-16-11, 08:28 PM
That thing is a frieken time capsule. Those door panels are in insane condition for something that supposedly falls apart.

Sevillian273
03-16-11, 08:32 PM
That thing is a frieken time capsule.

No doubt. Find some turbo coupe fanatic out there and FLIP IT!!!

Aron9000
03-16-11, 08:50 PM
I can see why you were seduced by that. The condition is simply amazing, and the stick shift makes it a lot more fun. Still an ugly SOB compared to the Eldorado, just not a fan of the styling on those 80's "aero" birds.

So I gotta ask, is it as quick as the Eldorado? I'm thinking with all those mods it would be faster once you spool the turbo up.

ga_etc
03-16-11, 10:03 PM
Just for you Ray. Best I could get tonight.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110316_212742.jpg

The Eldorado is faster because of the turbo lag. There's also a vacuum leak somewhere right now that's causing it not to pull as hard as it should under full boost. It's getting more air than fuel. After I get that sorted out, which I think I know what it is, it should be even more entertaining. It has a methanol/water injection system on it to cool the turbo and help boost HP. The tank is empty, and even though the system if turned off I think it's still trying to run and it's just getting air.

Stingroo
03-16-11, 10:16 PM
That does look good. I approve. I must get a ride in this vehicle during the FL meet.

hueterm
03-16-11, 10:26 PM
How many miles did this have vs. the ETC, and was it an even trade, or did he give you some extra?

And OMG...you got hit?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-11, 11:04 PM
That looks way nicer than expected. The interior is as clean as JD's Mark VII LSC was, and that was an '88 as well.

I really like the reverse hood scoops. Do those feed directly into the air filter or are they just for show? Does it have the adjustable bolsters on the seats? I think the Mark VII LSC's had those, but I know the Thunderbird Supercoupes had them too, along with the 93-95 Lightnings and SHO's.

How's the steering? Is it tight and firm, or numb on center like all other '80s era Fords (Mark VII LSC included). You say it's got adjustable, electronic suspension...is it an air pressure system like the Mark VII's or is it a different setup?

ga_etc
03-16-11, 11:07 PM
That does look good. I approve. I must get a ride in this vehicle during the FL meet.

I'll have to see how things go to see if I'll be able to attend.

How many miles did this have vs. the ETC, and was it an even trade, or did he give you some extra?

And OMG...you got hit?

The bird is showing 171,300 with roughly 20k on the rebuilt motor. The ETC had 140,500. Even trade. I was afraid I was running on borrowed time with everyone trying to jinx me. And just in general.

And yes. I was stopped at a red light on the way home and just after I took my foot off the brake a guy in a '06ish Maxima hit me at about 10 MPH. It busted the paint on the bumper and scuffed it up pretty good. A police report was filed. He got a ticket for following too close, I got one for no proof of insurance. :bigroll: Long story there. Not my fault, my insurance agent forgot to leave my temporary card where I could get it. There was coverage on the car at the time of the accident so I'll get that dismissed.

ga_etc
03-16-11, 11:14 PM
That looks way nicer than expected. The interior is as clean as JD's Mark VII LSC was, and that was an '88 as well.

I really like the reverse hood scoops. Do those feed directly into the air filter or are they just for show? Does it have the adjustable bolsters on the seats? I think the Mark VII LSC's had those, but I know the Thunderbird Supercoupes had them too, along with the 93-95 Lightnings and SHO's.

How's the steering? Is it tight and firm, or numb on center like all other '80s era Fords (Mark VII LSC included). You say it's got adjustable, electronic suspension...is it an air pressure system like the Mark VII's or is it a different setup?

The scoops are functional. They feed fresh air straight into the air-to-air intercooler. The driver seat has power lumbar and manually adjustable bottom bolsters.

The steering is a little numb, but there's enough road feedback that you can tell what's going on. Not really sure on the suspension set up.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-11, 11:24 PM
I know the automatic climate control was an option on there, does yours have that?

That thing looks about as clean as your Eldorado was as well.

Destroyer
03-16-11, 11:25 PM
Do you know what will be epic? The previous owner of Thunderbird, who can be a member of that forum, sends a thread about this trade too! His own comments and the comments of other Thunderbird owners about the trade can be very interesting... :DOh I think we will see him here soon in the N* section telling us how his car is overheating and he thinks he needs a new thermostat or something like that...........................

orconn
03-16-11, 11:30 PM
The trouble with Destroyer is not so much his daily whine, but the monotony of it!

Stingroo
03-16-11, 11:32 PM
Oh I think we will see him here soon in the N* section telling us how his car is overheating and he thinks he needs a new thermostat or something like that...........................

Wouldst thou enjoy some cheese with that whine? http://blog.southernanime.com/wp-content/plugins/tango-smilies/tango/emoticon_monocle.gif

ga_etc
03-16-11, 11:48 PM
I have turbo whine, does that count?

Aron9000
03-17-11, 12:31 AM
Wouldst thou enjoy some cheese with that whine? *monocle*

oui Monsieur, plus de: vin et fromage http://blog.southernanime.com/wp-content/plugins/tango-smilies/tango/emoticon_monocle.gif

Stingroo
03-17-11, 02:22 AM
I have turbo whine, does that count?

This must first be verified with video evidence.

Playdrv4me
03-17-11, 02:26 AM
thinks he needs a new thermostat or something like that...........................

Now THAT made me chuckle!

ga_etc
03-17-11, 04:59 PM
Quick video tour with a cameo by the Roadmaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTvhr1VP9Hw

Sevillian273
03-17-11, 06:27 PM
1:07 Passenger ejection switch. This explains the sunroof.

Jesda
03-17-11, 06:50 PM
Turbo sounds nice, and I like the distinctively 80s text on the side of the doors.

Stingroo
03-17-11, 06:58 PM
Nice.

Cameo by the Wendy's cup too.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-17-11, 07:18 PM
o noooo, you put cups on your cars?

my cup will sit on the floor if theres no where else, NEVER on my cars

cadillac kevin
03-17-11, 11:10 PM
what a great whine. gives destroyer a run for the money.

ltdltc
03-17-11, 11:17 PM
That's a nice bird. Though the MN-12 T-Birds were more my style. I really liked my friends 89 Cougar he had. It was a Blue Max edition complete with lower panel graphics and full digital dash. Slow as hell though with that turd V6 3.8L that popped head gaskets at a moments notice.

Playdrv4me
03-17-11, 11:22 PM
what a great whine. gives destroyer a run for the money.
:rimshot:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-11, 11:38 PM
A few things:

First of all, what'd you get at Wendy's? I hope it was a :chad:

Secondly, the grille-less front fascia reminds me of a hawk's beak. I wonder if that was intentional...

Thirdly, that turbo is really loud, almost sounds like a supercharger.

Lastly, it's weird to pop the hood and see that little 2.3 turbo. Most of the time when you pop the hood on one of these, you're greeted with a nice big 302 with that big aluminum intake plenum on it. I'd guess that most of the parts on that motor are easy to get at.

ga_etc
03-17-11, 11:54 PM
1:07 Passenger ejection switch. This explains the sunroof.

The switch is for the water/methanol injection system for the turbo. If active, and the tank is full, it will automatically spray when the turbo hits 15lbs to help keep it cool and increase efficiency.

o noooo, you put cups on your cars?

my cup will sit on the floor if theres no where else, NEVER on my cars

I set it down gently and didn't allow it to sweat on the car. I'm OCD about my cars too. Trust me, I'm not going to ruin the paint.

A few things:

First of all, what'd you get at Wendy's? I hope it was a :chad:

Secondly, the grille-less front fascia reminds me of a hawk's beak. I wonder if that was intentional...

Thirdly, that turbo is really loud, almost sounds like a supercharger.

Lastly, it's weird to pop the hood and see that little 2.3 turbo. Most of the time when you pop the hood on one of these, you're greeted with a nice big 302 with that big aluminum intake plenum on it. I'd guess that most of the parts on that motor are easy to get at.

1: Nope, just a basic double.
2: Probably. I noticed it too.
3: :P The wastegate is even louder. Dude in a Malibu about broke his neck looking this afternoon when I shifted coming around him.
4: Yeah. The only thing in the way is the intercooler. And a 302 can always be transplanted.

hueterm
03-18-11, 12:04 AM
I set it down gently and didn't allow it to sweat on the car. I'm OCD about my cars too. Trust me, I'm not going to ruin the paint.

MmmKay.... It's just condensation....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-11, 12:06 AM
Yeah, how does a cup of pop ruin your car's paint?

Playdrv4me
03-18-11, 12:12 AM
Hey, we have a guy in the Escalade forum that won't drive his truck in the rain... :Poke:

ga_etc
03-18-11, 12:18 AM
Some people drag stuff when they pick it up or set it down. I don't.

cadillac kevin
03-18-11, 12:19 AM
if you spill orange soda on a white car, it can permanently stain the paint job orange.
but I dont think condensation (i.e. water) will hurt the paint any.

Jesda
03-18-11, 12:26 AM
I use my car as a chalkboard.

With Mike's DTS and Austin's Thunderbird, that's two post-autoshow vehicle purchases.

ga_etc
03-18-11, 12:27 AM
Some people seem to think so. I'm seen some filthy cars on the road.

Aron9000
03-18-11, 01:32 AM
You still haven't answered my question, which pulls harder, the T-bird or Eldorado?

And I'll say it again, that thing is FARKING MINT!!!! Is that the original paint? I noticed how those black rubber moudlings with the red line in them still look new, those things always faded on old cars.

ga_etc
03-18-11, 01:44 AM
The Eldorado pulled harder. That may change once I get the Thunderbird tuned though. The PO had a larger turbo on the car, but changed it back out with a smaller one that isn't making as much boost. The car is still tuned for higher boost so it's not at it's most efficient right now. I'll let you know when I get it squared away.

It was repainted less than a year ago and he had the black rubber bump strip painted as well to keep it from dulling out.

EcSTSatic
03-18-11, 08:23 AM
I doubt it still works but you might like the autoride suspension. They will ride softer until they sense hard cornering or you go over 80MPH and then the struts go to Firm. The light on the dash indicates when.

I was never a fan of leaving the timing cover off, even with the adjustable cam gear. It's dangerous and really, how often do you mess with the adjustment.

Inspect the rear floating calipers. They freeze up real easy on the birds and you probably won't even sense they aren't working properly.

Don't mess with one of the short shifters out there for the TC and 'stangs unless you like a lot of annoying buzz in the cabin. I resold mine.

Stingroo
03-18-11, 09:45 AM

My hood IS a chalkboard. :lol:

ga_etc
03-18-11, 04:10 PM
I don't know what I'll end up doing with it right now. If I get to like it enough I might keep it and buy a winter beater when the time comes. For now it's a toy that plays daily driver.

elphil
03-18-11, 06:43 PM
I'm late to this thread, but I had a '83 Turbo, 5 speed for about 7 years and replaced it with a '91 SuperCoupe, auto. Really liked both those cars. Looked up performance of the Turbo and didn't remember it being so slow. They show zero to 60 in the low 9 second range.

billc83
03-18-11, 07:08 PM

At the Rod Run to the End of the World a few years back, there was a black-primered out '55 Chevy (? - my memory's really reaching here) that had chalk readily available, and was literally encouraging people to doodle or draw whatever. I've never seen something like that before or since.

Stingroo
03-18-11, 08:48 PM
My hood is like that. I leave a piece of chalk on the windshield when I park at work and stuff. Sometimes people sign it, sometimes they draw things. It's kinda cool. I might do more of the car in lieu of a real paint job... because that shit's expensive. :lol:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-11, 11:14 PM
I'd never allow anyone to write on my cars, but at a car show last summer, there was some triple five Chevy that the owner allowed everyone to sign on, he even provided the marker for it.

Playdrv4me
03-19-11, 01:53 AM
I'd never allow anyone to write on my cars, but at a car show last summer, there was some triple five Chevy that the owner allowed everyone to sign on, he even provided the marker for it.

BMW had a Breast Cancer awareness event all across the country a few years ago, where you could drive any of several models with no salesman and no sales pressure as availability allowed. They also brought along an X5 that they allowed every single person who took one of these drives to sign, from coast to coast. It was pretty neat.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-19-11, 10:18 PM
Yeah, how does a cup of pop ruin your car's paint?

Water has minerals in it that can eat at, or "etch" a car finish. This is usually only an issue if the water is allowed to sit on the paint instead of wiped off.

The guy who doesnt drive his Escalade in the rain would probably rather drive his other car than spend time having to wipe the Escalade down to avoid water spots. Also, cans and cups arent the smoothest materials in the world and of course you dont want rough stuff touching your paint

Playdrv4me
03-19-11, 10:24 PM
My Escalade is proud of his water spots. He's a truck for pete's sake.

The REALLY shitty water spots don't actually come from nature anyway, but cheap ass carwash owners who don't put a spot free rinse cycle (ionized water) in their wash system.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-20-11, 01:25 PM
that and when a car is already dirty, and it rains the water beads to an extent, the dirt is pulled together in those beads and if you dont wipe it BAM water spots

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-11, 04:36 PM
I haven't washed my Buick in a week and a half, and it was all caked in salt yesterday, but since I've driven it in the rain today, the salt appears to have washed off and now it looks clean, but wet. Hopefully I'll have time to swing home between jobs tomorrow, swap cars and wash the Buick at the dealership after I clock out tomorrow night.