: Adding Subwoofer-Options

kentuckyplow
03-13-11, 10:21 PM
Hello,
I appreciate any help. I have searched and read many posts but there seems to be a lot of conflicting info. I have a 2005 CTS-V with the Bose and NAV. I am ok with the sound, but would like to have some bass. I would like to add a box to the trunk. Maybe custom, maybe just a nice square pre-made one. I have seen installs where people used a cleensweep. That seems a little overkill for what I'm trying to do. I have also seen the David Navone LOC used. I think it hooks directly to the speaker leads on the rear deck sub and power and then goes to the aftermarket amp and sub that I want to use. It seems to be a simple solution, however after reading further, people claim that the output of the factory radio lowers the bass as the volume goes up, so that this is not ideal to run a sub amp as it will not give all the potential output you would want for a sub. The third option I've seen is the MTX RE-Q. I have read that it boosts the output rather than diminish it as the volume goes up. This seems to be a good option, however I have not seen this option used by anyone on this site, which makes me wonder if it is ideal. I have also seen the PAC C2A-GM24, but it doesnt list the CTS as an application.
I am leaning toward the MTX, but value anyone here that can give some firsthand experience. I am not trying to build a competition system, just trying to get some thump. A couple hundred dollars budget. Also, the MTX options include the regular RE-Q and also the RE-Q5 which adds some options, however some have said that the RE-Q5 is harder to set up.
Thanks in advance and if I can give any more info that would help clarify, please let me know.
B

perfect
03-14-11, 10:24 AM
I'm the one who is always recommending the David Navone LOC on the V forums. Yes, you can hook it up directly to the speaker leads on the rear deck sub and this will convert the high level (speaker) signals into usable RCA inputs to your amplifier. Convenient, simple, and inexpensive. I've heard that SOME factory radios lower the bass as the volume goes up...but never specifically seen that about our V radios. The output of the sub has always seemed very linear when turning the radio up. The MTX RE-Q is a pretty cool unit but is just a signal processor that overcomes the diminishing bass level output. At $120, however, it seems like a gamble compared to the Navone LOC as to how effective it will be. Ultimately, your ears will have to the judge of that.

mberisha
03-14-11, 01:47 PM
I'm the one who is always recommending the David Navone LOC on the V forums. Yes, you can hook it up directly to the speaker leads on the rear deck sub and this will convert the high level (speaker) signals into usable RCA inputs to your amplifier. Convenient, simple, and inexpensive. I've heard that SOME factory radios lower the bass as the volume goes up...but never specifically seen that about our V radios. The output of the sub has always seemed very linear when turning the radio up. The MTX RE-Q is a pretty cool unit but is just a signal processor that overcomes the diminishing bass level output. At $120, however, it seems like a gamble compared to the Navone LOC as to how effective it will be. Ultimately, your ears will have to the judge of that.

BTW OP....Perfect knows what the hell he is talking about...I've heard his system personally...sic....

I went with a Memphis system....about a $800 job...sounds amazing...but for one speaker, an amp and an install...it better for $800. Google "Navi Replacement and Subwoofer" and the thread should pop up....good luck!