: N87 wheels

torogt
03-12-11, 10:59 PM
My 06 STS has the N87 wheels 18 in. with rivets. I have been looking for another set but when I talk to the salvage yards they tell me they are the silver painted, but mine on the car are not painted. is the information they have incorrect?

8323matt
03-13-11, 04:13 AM
I know the CTS's and XLR's option for the N87 are way different in style. I think they cross refrenced models.

If you check Edmunds.com the only options for the 2006 STS N* is the 17" or 18" polished rims. I haven't seen that style in silver. If i'm wrong someone will chime in :)

Oh yah random but I seen a 08 or 09 Cadillac Mary Kay CTS. Makes pink look good haha

Greg00coupe
03-13-11, 09:52 AM
I'm on the same mission........ getting rid of the same wheels and looking for different. I just hate the maintenance of the rivet wheels. I'd would think any factory at least what I see is polished and sealed. I guess have them send you a picture if you can't see them in person.

I just started but I'm looking to but new custom wheels. I figured why not add a little bling. Let us know how this works out for you.

torogt
03-13-11, 10:33 AM
I'm on the same mission........ getting rid of the same wheels and looking for different. I just hate the maintenance of the rivet wheels. I'd would think any factory at least what I see is polished and sealed. I guess have them send you a picture if you can't see them in person.

I just started but I'm looking to but new custom wheels. I figured why not add a little bling. Let us know how this works out for you.

I don't want to get rid of my wheels, I want another set of the same wheels, one for winter tires and one for summer tires. I don't really care for most aftermarket wheels.

chazglenn3
03-13-11, 10:58 AM
When I was shopping for my STS, I was very close to buying a 2006 STS4 that had those wheels. I really liked the look but the fronts had some curb rash. The lot had a mobile wheel repair guy come by to repair them and he ended up powder coating them in silver. I hated the look and feel of them after that. Felt like they would be serious brake dust magnets with the rough finish and hard to clean.

EChas3
03-13-11, 08:39 PM
My 2006 build sheet says, "N87 - 18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS" even though they look chrome. They do have the tiny rivets/allen lugs. My wife's 2007 has the "N93 - 17" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS" and they are not as shiny, looking more like brushed aluminum. All aluminum develops a white oxide if not finished with lacquer or clearcoat. Judging by appearance, they both appear to have a finish over the metal.

The owners manual specifically recommends chrome polish only on chrome wheels.