: tahoe daily driver

stoveguyy
03-12-11, 12:39 PM
wonder why people drive 5000lb rigs around with 1 person? sure they can tow a lot and haul stuff but they sure seem to be overkill. we had a dakota 4wd 4dr w/4.7 which was fun but sucked gas. saw new ad for durango. general theme is its a cool ride. yea, 5.7 hemi, awd, 5klbs, 11mpg around town. guess thats cool. the tahoe/denali/lade is the same only more. even more iron and worse mileage.

hueterm
03-12-11, 12:51 PM
As one of whom you speak, my guesses are:

They want to? (me)

They can afford it? (me)

They bought one years ago when gas was cheap, but now are stuck with it and can't unload it? (not me)

They switch off with other vehicles, so it's really not a "daily" driver? (me)

They need what it can do (me), and don't want two vehicles? (not me)

By the time you see them and judge, they've already dropped their brood of children off at school? (not me)

They don't care what nosy people think? (me)

Just off the top of my head...

Jesda
03-12-11, 12:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarcity

If you have the means, then its not really an issue.

hueterm
03-12-11, 01:04 PM
Oh, and remember... While you question SUV drivers' choices, there are a bunch of Prius/Yaris/Fit/Smart, or whatever other Clown Car drivers questioning your choice of an old V8 overpowered, over carbon emitting Cadillac.

To them, you should be in a 12 year old Civic or something.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-12-11, 01:18 PM
hueterm hit the nail on the head.

Let me drive whatever i want to drive, unless you want to buy me a car, and pay me to drive it

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 03:13 PM
As one of whom you speak, my guesses are:

They want to? (me)

They can afford it? (me)

They bought one years ago when gas was cheap, but now are stuck with it and can't unload it? (not me)

They switch off with other vehicles, so it's really not a "daily" driver? (me)

They need what it can do (me), and don't want two vehicles? (not me)

By the time you see them and judge, they've already dropped their brood of children off at school? (not me)

They don't care what nosy people think? (me)

Just off the top of my head...

Bingo. Dumb thread award goes here.

As for the Durango getting 11mpg, I find that hard to believe, as the Escalade gets 14 around town. This guy's numbers aren't even right.

RightTurn
03-12-11, 08:59 PM
Because I CAN. :coffee:

jordan00escalade
03-12-11, 09:04 PM
correction @ Playdrv4me... it's more like 13.4 mpg around town

lol

Stingroo
03-12-11, 09:05 PM
'Cause I love it, and I can, and it sounds better than the nothingness of a 4 cylinder or electric.

:D

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 09:09 PM
correction @ Playdrv4me... it's more like 13.4 mpg around town

lol

:p You know what you're probably right, I checked today and I'm down to 13.8. That was fun while it lasted!

hueterm
03-12-11, 10:07 PM
I get about 11, so you guys enjoy...

Stingroo
03-12-11, 10:20 PM
18-21, depending on how I feel like driving.

:)

Recently though, because I need a tuneup quite badly - closer to 12-14.

jordan00escalade
03-12-11, 10:25 PM
hue... try driving around with the LOW FUEL light on, it will make your vehicle lighter and could increase you MPG

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 10:31 PM
hue... try driving around with the LOW FUEL light on, it will make your vehicle lighter and could increase you MPG

LOL, in addition to the possible negative effects on the fuel pump (sucking up the poo at the bottom of the tank), I don't think I'd have the balls to run like that all the time with these GM fuel gauges as twitchy as they are!

I did put my third row seats up for sale though... They waste valuable space AND weigh as much as a damn person.

maeng9981
03-13-11, 12:12 PM
If I have to choose, I'd choose Tahoe over a Civic/Prius/anything.

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 12:14 PM
Perhaps change the question of this thread. I've always wondered, in light of Hue's comment, WHY they "want" to. I mean, I love driving my Dodge around, but it's from a different time, it has it's own set of characteristics that make it unique, all of which are hard to find at this point. Modern trucks and SUV's almost drive and ride like cars, especially Ford variants, IMO. If you didn't sit up higher, you'd never know what you were driving. Is that all it is for truck and SUV drivers? Is it just that seating position? What makes the experience that unique?

A lot of the "I do it 'cause I can" comments on the topic almost seem like the main reason is an ego thing, really. Comments on this topic always end up turning to what other people think (usually Prius drivers are mentioned, this thread is no exception). Is it just a pride thing? I might be misunderstanding that, but that's the first thing that comes to mind with a lot of the commentary here.

Personally, I don't think most people care about what others drive as much as many think they do. And not every Prius driver is a tree hugger either. Rarely do I pay attention to other vehicle types on the road, judging their drivers. Other vehicles on the road, Prius or Escalade, are just another obstacle in my way, not something to gawk at and analyze :/

"I am what I drive" is not a way of life for everyone.

Rolex
03-13-11, 12:21 PM
Hueterm: NAIL ==> HEAD

My DD truck gets about 12.5 mpg. I drive a big v8 truck with knobby tires because I also use it on a farm, use it to tow a trailer, tow a boat, haul feed/stuff, etc. If I drove a car down the private drive to my farm just once, I would probably have to find a guy with a truck like mine to pull me back out.

In light of recent gas prices though, and because knobby tires for this truck are expensive, I'm thinking I may pick up a small car to drive back and forth to work and to the gym, etc. It would save me mpg, tire wear on the truck, and would probably get the tree huggers like the OP off my back. :peeking:

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 12:26 PM
Hueterm: NAIL ==> HEAD

My DD truck gets about 12.5 mpg. I drive a big v8 truck with knobby tires because I also use it on a farm, use it to tow a trailer, tow a boat, haul feed/stuff, etc. If I drove a car down the private drive to my farm just once, I would probably have to find a guy with a truck like mine to pull me back out.

In light of recent gas prices though, and because knobby tires for this truck are expensive, I'm thinking I may pick up a small car to drive back and forth to work and to the gym, etc. It would save me mpg, tire wear on the truck, and would probably get the tree huggers like the OP off my back. :peeking:

Er, isn't this the exact opposite of what the OP asks? You use your truck...for work, which makes sense. You are also thinking about picking up a small car for a errand runner/city bummer, which is where the OP (and yourself, apparently) questions the use of a truck.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-13-11, 12:29 PM
Perhaps change the question of this thread. I've always wondered, in light of Hue's comment, WHY they "want" to. I mean, I love driving my Dodge around, but it's from a different time, it has it's own set of characteristics that make it unique, all of which are hard to find at this point. Modern trucks and SUV's almost drive and ride like cars, especially Ford variants, IMO. If you didn't sit up higher, you'd never know what you were driving. Is that all it is for truck and SUV drivers? Is it just that seating position? What makes the experience that unique?

A lot of the "I do it 'cause I can" comments on the topic almost seem like the main reason is an ego thing, really. Comments on this topic always end up turning to what other people think (usually Prius drivers are mentioned, this thread is no exception). Is it just a pride thing? I might be misunderstanding that, but that's the first thing that comes to mind with a lot of the commentary here.

Personally, I don't think most people care about what others drive as much as many think they do. And not every Prius driver is a tree hugger either. Rarely do I pay attention to other vehicle types on the road, judging their drivers. Other vehicles on the road, Prius or Escalade, are just another obstacle in my way, not something to gawk at and analyze :/

I think you may be off a bit. I didnt go out looking for a vehicle that doesnt get great gas mileage so i could say "i drive a gas guzzler because i can afford it!" I bought a car that i like, and didnt take into consideration its fuel consumption properties. The reason I didnt factor economy into my decision is because my like for the car outweighs my dislike for the price of fuel.

hueterm
03-13-11, 12:34 PM
LOL, in addition to the possible negative effects on the fuel pump (sucking up the poo at the bottom of the tank), I don't think I'd have the balls to run like that all the time with these GM fuel gauges as twitchy as they are!

I did put my third row seats up for sale though... They waste valuable space AND weigh as much as a damn person.

Agreed on the fuel level...seriously...

RE the 3rd row...the fact that they're not fold flat is crazy...and they're so close to the rear glass as to be scary...but won't that hurt your resale, as often as you chg vehicles...?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-11, 12:34 PM
More people trying to control other people, that's all it boils down to.

I live my life for me. I buy what I buy because I like it and can afford it. If I can afford something that I like and gets 13 mpg and costs $80 to fill up, then I would, but I didn't.

I can complain about someone buying a gas hog (but I won't) or someone buying a foreign car because it "doesn't support the US economy", but I won't. Why? Because I keep to my business and wish everyone else would follow suit.

Rolex
03-13-11, 12:36 PM
Er, isn't this the exact opposite of what the OP asks? You use your truck...for work, which makes sense. You are also thinking about picking up a small car for a errand runner/city bummer, which is where the OP (and yourself, apparently) questions the use of a truck.

Perhaps the OP assumes the single person DDing a SUV has no use for it. My point is some people actually have a use for a large v8 truck based vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less. And I use my truck for everything: work, play, DD. eta: lately filling it up is becoming painful, hence I'm considering picking up a gas getting beater car.

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 12:39 PM
I think you may be off a bit. I didnt go out looking for a vehicle that doesnt get great gas mileage so i could say "i drive a gas guzzler because i can afford it!" I bought a car that i like, and didnt take into consideration its fuel consumption properties. The reason I didnt factor economy into my decision is because my like for the car outweighs my dislike for the price of fuel.

Yeah, I'm not generalizing EVERYONE here, but the comments DO pop up in every similar thread. Not necessarily a cut on you or any specific person here.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-13-11, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I'm not generalizing EVERYONE here, but the comments DO pop up in every similar thread. Not necessarily a cut on you or any specific person here.

gotcha, i didnt take it that way either. just saying alot of people who say it the way you say they say it probably mean it the way i said it

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFMcPFiYOO3rCQyl9-gA6jADIM2m18_ARLbx5lm1wGzwTxgmC9&t=1

hueterm
03-13-11, 12:53 PM

"I am what I drive" is not a way of life for everyone.

To quote Ronald Reagan... "There you go again..."

The point is...it DOESN'T MATTER why -- either for the OP to question, or for you to philosophize about. I mean, you can, you have the right to...but an SUV driver can do what they want for the exact same reason.

Whether it's a family who needs 7 seats and an acre of room in the back of a Suburban for sports gear, or dogs, or groceries... EDIT: Or grandma...

Or some poorly endowed guy who gets validation from his H2...

Or a pimp who needs room for his bitches in the back of his ESV...

Or some guy w/an Avalanche who sometimes needs a truck and sometimes just needs a vehicle with a big "trunk" that can plow through a foot of snow.

Or maybe someone just likes the look and/or feel of whatever they drive -- and that's as good a reason as any. He/she/I like it, and frankly that's all that's required (other than paying for it). I frankly want to like what I drive (and do) and have no desire to be told what to drive by someone else. Funny how (unless it's a limousine liberal) the ones that typically complain about this are the ones driving some little penalty box. Pride may play on one hand, but jealousy definitely plays on the other.

And no, not all Prius owners are ecoNazis, but there are a lot of ecoNazis out there, and they need to be challenged at every turn. Whether it's the thermostat in my house, the fixtures in my bathroom, the light bulbs I use, or the car I drive. We have plenty of oil...and also plenty of busybodies that want to keep us from using it, who can F- OFF!

hueterm
03-13-11, 12:53 PM
Perhaps the OP assumes the single person DDing a SUV has no use for it. My point is some people actually have a use for a large v8 truck based vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less. And I use my truck for everything: work, play, DD. eta: lately filling it up is becoming painful, hence I'm considering picking up a gas getting beater car.

Still got that minitruck???

hueterm
03-13-11, 12:56 PM
...but the comments DO pop up in every similar thread...

And amazingly, somehow, so do yours...

Rolex
03-13-11, 12:59 PM
Still got that minitruck???

Pulled a swap with my BIL about 2 weeks ago for this 6x6:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/photo-52.jpg

New toy. :bouncy:

96Fleetwood
03-13-11, 01:01 PM
I bought my Denali two months ago as a daily driver. I am getting 13.1 mpg average with city only driving (with the current Black Bear Tune and modifications). Why do I use it as my daily driver? Mainly because I want to.. but I also plan to use it to tow my T/A to long distance shows and to pull the boat I buy this summer :sneaky: My daily commute to work is 12 miles roundtrip, so I do not mind the gas mileage. Now, if I accept this locum tenens job where I will be travelling in a 100 mile radius of my home... then I might consider adding a 4 cylinder beater to the stable.

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 01:04 PM
To quote Ronald Reagan... "There you go again..."

The point is...it DOESN'T MATTER why -- either for the OP to question, or for you to philosophize about.

Er...easy there bud, you were the Pythagoras who came up with a list of 8 theorems to answer the question, remember?

And no, not all Prius owners are ecoNazis, but there are a lot of ecoNazis out there, and they need to be challenged at every turn. Whether it's the thermostat in my house, the fixtures in my bathroom, the light bulbs I use, or the car I drive. We have plenty of oil...and also plenty of busybodies that want to keep us from using it, who can F- OFF

Right. ecoNazi's are not synonymous with Prius drivers. I agree.

Or maybe someone just likes the look and/or feel of whatever they drive -- and that's as good a reason as any

Exactly. Prius, SUV, or scooter. No discrimination. Applies to all.

orconn
03-13-11, 01:36 PM
I don't care what anyone drives, but I do get very tired of people who drive gas hogs because they "can" bitching about gas prices! Pay the price of "what you choose to do" (which you apparently can) and quit yelping about the "oil companies" and the producing country's stealing you blind. You made your choice so live with it!

OffThaHorseCEO
03-13-11, 01:38 PM
exactly, i might say DAMN, or cringe every once in a while AT the pump, but i dont blab all day about how high the gas prices are

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 01:50 PM
I don't care what anyone drives, but I do get very tired of people who drive gas hogs because they "can" bitching about gas prices! Pay the price of "what you choose to do" (which you apparently can) and quit yelping about the "oil companies" and the producing country's stealing you blind. You made your choice so live with it!

Or blame the government for the result of ones poor choices...the other popular small-talk topic.

Jesda
03-13-11, 02:52 PM
Or blame the government for the result of ones poor choices...the other popular small-talk topic.

I know you're trying to make some sort of philosophical or political point, but you're not making the logical connection.

Stick to math, broseph.

hueterm
03-13-11, 02:52 PM
Er...easy there bud, you were the Pythagoras who came up with a list of 8 theorems to answer the question, remember?

Hello...I didn't start this verkakte thread...

hueterm
03-13-11, 02:59 PM

Our current situation is COMPLETELY the government's fault.

When you go out of your way to limit oil production and try to regulate it into a cage, if not oblivion, whose else is it?

When you don't play hardball with these foreign producers and threaten them with full court press development of natural gas, oil shale (which we PWN everyone else on), and "sensible" (not corn) biofuel alternatives to get the price down....whose else is it?

It's not the consumer's...when prices spike, eventually demand drops and prices go back down. They can't control the roller coaster...the government can, but doesn't.

Playdrv4me
03-13-11, 05:45 PM
Agreed on the fuel level...seriously...

RE the 3rd row...the fact that they're not fold flat is crazy...and they're so close to the rear glass as to be scary...but won't that hurt your resale, as often as you chg vehicles...?

Yes that was definitely a consideration, but they're not that hard to find so when that time comes ill just have to track some down.

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 06:34 PM
Our current situation is COMPLETELY the government's fault.

When you go out of your way to limit oil production and try to regulate it into a cage, if not oblivion, whose else is it?

When you don't play hardball with these foreign producers and threaten them with full court press development of natural gas, oil shale (which we PWN everyone else on), and "sensible" (not corn) biofuel alternatives to get the price down....whose else is it?

It's not the consumer's...when prices spike, eventually demand drops and prices go back down. They can't control the roller coaster...the government can, but doesn't.

My point is that the government is NOT your accountant. If you think it is, then you are part of this country's problem and we'd all appreciate it if you left.

Yeah, the government can influence the price of fuel, but it does not dictate how much you spend on it, period. That's in your control, only yours.

If someone breaks themselves by driving an Escalade as a DD, that's not Obama's fault. It's merely a poor decision by the Escalade's moron owner.

Jesda
03-13-11, 06:43 PM
Yeah, the government can influence the price of fuel, but it does not dictate how much you spend on it, period. That's in your control, only yours.

If someone breaks themselves by driving an Escalade as a DD, that's not Obama's fault. It's merely a poor decision by the Escalade's moron owner.

That makes a bit more sense now that you've clarified your statement, but government, for better or worse (WORSE), plays a role in regulating energy costs. I would prefer it didn't. Billions of dollars in corn subsidies didn't come from the free market.

As for individuals financially drowning due to their choice of vehicle, its why I brought up the basic economic concept of scarcity. It doesn't affect everyone equally. Someone driving a Tahoe might have a smaller home or may earn more money. They've given up something else to pay for fuel. Those with higher incomes give up less.

hueterm
03-13-11, 06:51 PM
My point is that the government is NOT your accountant. If you think it is, then you are part of this country's problem and we'd all appreciate it if you left.

OMG...again with this "leave the country" BS you babble on over and over. I will criticize what I like (you, Obama, policy, whatever), thank you very much.

Government policy is the biggest factor in the price of fuel, between energy, regulatory, and tax policy. Competitive forces wouldn't have nearly the impact they do, if we had a much more aggressive energy policy.

The only upside to these prices, is if they last another 18 months or so at this level or worse, a new President will be all but guaranteed...

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 07:00 PM
Government policy is not my argument. Like previously mentioned, I do agree with you on that point. Did you miss that?

70" TV's are very expensive, but I don't spend a lot on them.

No matter how much the government controls pricing, what you spend your money on is your decision. It's very possible to spend little on fuel even if it's cost is high.

Jesda
03-13-11, 09:46 PM
I don't even know why you brought this subtopic up, Drew. No else one mentioned it until you did, so you're arguing with yourself, or arguing for sport.

gary88
03-13-11, 09:53 PM
so you're arguing with yourself

http://i.imgur.com/lGlBx.png

hueterm
03-13-11, 10:01 PM
lolboy ^

drewsdeville
03-13-11, 10:43 PM
It was an addition to post #31 - Orconns comment on people drive gas guzzlers, bitching about oil companies and their influence on oil prices...which in turn reminded me of those who drive gas guzzlers and bitch about the government and their influence on oil prices. It's all the same to me - humorous for the first minute or two, then aggravating.

Thanks to Hue, I can honestly say I'm not arguing with myself. I never will be as long as he sticks around. I could mention how I don't care for the taste of crab meat in a thread about airplanes and he'd somehow turn it into a "nannystate" rant about how my government controls my life while making my life miserable.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/20/lolvo.jpg (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4253)

Jesda
03-13-11, 11:05 PM
If a subject annoys you, don't bring it up, doofus.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-11, 11:07 PM
Another closed thread thanks to Drew. How many are we up to now? Are ya keeping track bud?