: Tpms

chazglenn3
03-11-11, 04:23 PM
Is a GM dealer the only place to have a new TPMS sensor programmed? I know I can buy the sensor many places, but I haven't found anyone other than a dealer that says they can program it...

rzambrano
03-11-11, 05:15 PM
Check out your manual. It tells you exactly how to do it on there.

Neutrocuted
03-11-11, 11:00 PM
I needed all 4 sensors when I bought my car so I went to where I buy my tires, Discount Tire. They quoted $50/wheel, installed, programmed, tax and out the door.

The dealer wanted $129.95/wheel + installation $19.95/wheel + programming $50 + tax on the parts!!! They also wanted $175 to replace one of the front parking light bulbs that was burnt out!!! AND... they wanted to charge me $50 to tell me what was wrong with the TPMS!!!

After a lively chat with the GM I was able to leave without paying the $50. If I knew that you could see the TPMS instead of a regular valve stem I would have know that the car only had 1 sensor, and it was broke!!!

The sales end of most of these car dealerships are real snake-pits!

chazglenn3
03-12-11, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replies! I sure hope the local Discount Tire will do it for $50...that sounds like a screaming deal to me. The cheapest sensor I have found was on eBay for $43 plus shipping.

chazglenn3
03-12-11, 03:08 PM
My local Discount Tire has one in stock and the price comes to $60 installed...on my way now! :D The Caddy dealer wanted $285 and the Chevy dealer was $280.

Greg00coupe
03-13-11, 09:54 AM
All true not sure why people "worship" the dealers and pay homage with their $$$s.

chazglenn3
03-13-11, 10:55 AM
Done! Thanks for the tip.

ddgm
03-13-11, 10:56 AM
Not defending the dealers but my Cadillac dealer in Hamilton, Ontario charged me $44.95 for the TPMS and $20. to install it, all in Canadian dollars. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
It was the cheapest anywhere I found. Previous owner had put chrome valve stem caps on and I twisted the stem off quite easily. Dealers still scare me though.

Doug

dkozloski
03-13-11, 11:08 AM
FWIW; aluminum and stainless steel are a bad combination. The aluminum sacrifices to the stainless steel and corrodes all to hell. Stainless valve caps look neat but are death to the valve stems.

chazglenn3
03-13-11, 12:46 PM
I'll be sure to keep the plastic ones on that I have now!

EChas3
03-13-11, 08:14 PM
My OEM stems & caps aren't corroded after 5 1/2 years.

Greg00coupe
03-13-11, 10:12 PM
Yea but Binkly is right........... I lose one of the OEMs and replaced it with another chrome one I had........... Needed a box wrench to get it off.........

dkozloski
03-13-11, 10:28 PM
My OEM stems & caps aren't corroded after 5 1/2 years.

OEM caps are aluminum.

EChas3
03-14-11, 09:57 PM
^^^ Makes sense. Wheels, stems & caps all aluminum makes for no corrosion?

j'scaddy06
03-15-11, 02:57 AM
Corrosion happens when you have disimilar metals touching or rubbing between similar metals and or other elements like salt etc...

Neutrocuted
03-15-11, 01:35 PM
A service director friend of mine told me that filling tires with nitrogen has a lot of advantages. First is the fact that you will not experience the fluxuation in pressure caused by temperature changes and second is that it almost completely eliminates internal corrosion, including corrosion between the rim and the tire.

Of course, he does work for the dealership and you can always tell when they are lying... their mouth is moving! (just a joke guys!)

But it makes sense I think. Oxygen I believe causes oxidation, which causes corrosion. Isn't that how it works?

malatu
03-15-11, 02:48 PM
A service director friend of mine told me that filling tires with nitrogen has a lot of advantages. First is the fact that you will not experience the fluxuation in pressure caused by temperature changes and second is that it almost completely eliminates internal corrosion, including corrosion between the rim and the tire.

Of course, he does work for the dealership and you can always tell when they are lying... their mouth is moving! (just a joke guys!)

But it makes sense I think. Oxygen I believe causes oxidation, which causes corrosion. Isn't that how it works?

There is some legitimacy to the advantages of nitrogen, although, I'm not convinced it's worth it. The main disadvantage to me is the access to ready available nitrogen. I find it greatly convenient having the air compressor in my garage at my disposal. Where do you go to get nitrogen?

chazglenn3
03-15-11, 03:31 PM
My local Costco fills the tires they sell with nitrogen.

malatu
03-15-11, 03:49 PM
My local Costco fills the tires they sell with nitrogen.

I guess that's my point. I don't want to go back to Costco every time I need to put air (nitrogen) in a tire. To me, having to do that would greatly diminish any value nitrogen offers.

EChas3
03-15-11, 10:44 PM
Air is almost 80% Nitrogen. Don't worry about it.

Neutrocuted
03-16-11, 01:20 AM
He sells it at his dealership for about $10 a tire and offered it to me for free... I took a pass. Air's been workin' out real good for me for the past 42 years, why change now??!!!