: Looking into ways to get pages to load fast more often than they do...

Lord Cadillac
03-11-11, 10:24 AM
You'll notice some changes around here today. If you don't, than great. In any event, they're all necessary. We're looking for ways to improve page-load times around here. More often than not, everything is fine - but too often - they're not. Please be patient while we look into these issues.

Thank you...

JimmyH
03-11-11, 01:26 PM
perhaps this has to do with unread posts not registering?

Lord Cadillac
03-11-11, 01:38 PM
Possibly.. The server is doing this in a less intensive way. I believe it's now cookie based instead of relying on the database.. It may be one of those things we have to deal with in order to have this place running quickly. Nothing is finalized so let's see what happens.. Right now I need people to text me when the site is slow so we can monitor things to figure out what we need to move forward with upgrading to a better server.

JimmyH
03-11-11, 02:06 PM
cookies-based anything could be annoying for those of us who browse from multiple computers. but if the forum speeds up, a worthy sacrifice.

drewsdeville
03-11-11, 02:41 PM
Most browsers offer an addon of some sort that will synchronize cookies...

JimmyH
03-11-11, 02:42 PM
you guys and your addons...no thanks. I like my browser ala carte

drewsdeville
03-11-11, 02:46 PM
Just sayin...the functionality exists to solve your problem, in case you didn't know.

FWIW, Google Chrome offers this functionality out of the box. Firefox 4 will include it on it's release, and is available in beta currently.

JimmyH
03-11-11, 02:47 PM
I know some things gotta be the way they gotta be, but Sal, the subscriptions page has gotten very confusing now. Granted, I am easily confused. I will say, the site has been very fast this afternoon. And this is usually when it is slow.

Lord Cadillac
03-11-11, 03:33 PM
What changed, Jimmy? That particular area seems to be the same for me.

ThumperPup
03-11-11, 04:28 PM
ok is this why the lower of the home page does not show who is online ?
due to the changes ?

oh and addons for cookies they are greaet sounding to me ill have Chocolate chip and M&M's on mine please
Oh you mean the other cookies lol

JimmyH
03-11-11, 05:43 PM

Before today, as I viewed threads with new posts, they would disappear from my subscriptions list, as I continually go back to it. Today they stay there. They just are no longer bolded (kind of like if you click on the "view all subscribed threads" down below.
Earlier today, if I closed my browser, and went back an hour later, all the same threads would be there with all the same new posts as if I never read them. It was weird. But when I logged in now, it is only showing the new posts I have not read.

I don't know. It's still a little weird. I am sure I will get used to it. If the site stays as speedy as it has been today, I will be willing to give up subscriptions altogether.

Submariner409
03-11-11, 06:00 PM
There were a couple of site slowdowns (one complete stop) earlier today - late morning to early afternoon - I was just stopping by and experienced a couple of really slow loads and posts, but figured something was being worked on. This evening, since about 4:45 EST, the site is apparently faster than it's been in a couple of weeks.

JimmyH
03-11-11, 08:39 PM

Also, notice, that after I make a post in a thread, it shows up in my subscriptions as having new posts (mine). And if I click on the new post link, it goes back to the first new post when I first logged on, even if I already have read them. That never happened before.

If I wait about an hour or so, when I come back later, it will only show actual new posts like it did before. But after browsing/posting for a while, it goes back to what I have described above, and the cycle repeats.

Maybe that is just the way it has to be. If so, so be it. i just wanted to point it out.

Submariner409
03-13-11, 10:07 AM
Practically impossible to post replies from 0915 to past 1000 this morning. Click submit, nothing. Wait. Click refresh. wait. Page loads, click Submit again - up comes the box "This is an identical........", page reloads, post is there. Maddening. Some threads refuse to open.

This went in fairly quickly - took 14 seconds from the Submit click.

^^^^ However, I had to refresh the page to get the above sentence to upload. maddening.