: Geeks, little help with my computer please. Mod hell....

nikon
03-11-11, 07:28 AM
My system specs:

MSI 870a-G54 mainboard (latest firmware)
Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition w/ coolermaster hyper 212+
2x2gb ocz black edition ram 8-8-8-24 1333mhz
sapphire radeon 5770
1x dvd/rw
1x WD 640gb Black
1x OCZ Vertex 2 60gb
3x 120mm lighted case fans
Antex neohe 500w psu ~3-4 yrs old

All the reading I've done this processor overclocks easily...all I can overclock to is 3.4ghz stable, which is pathetic.
Tried unlocking cores with no luck....most of what I tried was just adjusting the multiplier.
Memory timing is set to ocz specs....
I'm kinda at a loss, not much to screw up if all your adjusting is the multiplier, everything (but memory) is set to auto.

newegg psu calculator puts me at ~414w.....

So question is am I running out of power? Or am I doing something else wrong?

With everything I've tried it will post but bsod as soon as windows tries to boot.

Any help greatly appreciated, really not run out and spend 100$ on a psu if it won't fix my problem.

The Raven
03-11-11, 10:19 AM
Ok I don't have all the answers, since i'm used to overclocking CPUs on FSB architecture, but I can answer some questions.

First - this whole thing about unlocking cores has become way overblown. AMD bins cpus very much like Intel, however they don't appear to have the same level of success Intel does with their multi-core cpus. That said, someone at AMD struck gold when they came up with this "locking cores" idea. The idea of a Triple core CPU is weird, but for a company that needs to do something with all the dies that won't pass a four-core bin test, the triple core solution is perfect. It even creates a more robust chip since you now have only three cores worth of electrical and thermal load in a package designed to dissipate energy equivalent to four cores. So they tend to overclock well too.

That said, there is no reason to believe that you should be able to use that fourth core. It was locked for a reason and therefore unlocking it is a risky venture at best. Sure it will work fine for a few chips, and for others the core will run but at severely reduced reliability. You will surely see alot of great stories about guys successfully unlocking the fourth core with no problems. But you are seeing the 5% that had success and not the 95% that didn't.

Personally, I have yet to see a single successful fourth-core-unlocking. Though I will admit that i'm far from the authority on these CPUs.

Second, we need a little more information on your testing process to determine where the issue lies, and then find a solution.

- What loading software are you using? (i.e. - Prime, Everest..etc)
- What temps are you seeing under full load after 10 mins?
- What is your Vcore setting during the test?

JimmyH
03-11-11, 01:48 PM
:yeah:

unlocking cores always seems to be trouble.

but if you are getting bsod on a fresh install, my money is on a bad piece of memory. this is why I don't built computers anymore.

JimmyH
03-11-11, 01:48 PM
oh, and moved to lounge

briggy
03-11-11, 04:28 PM
My system specs:

So question is am I running out of power? Or am I doing something else wrong?

With everything I've tried it will post but bsod as soon as windows tries to boot.

Any help greatly appreciated, really not run out and spend 100$ on a psu if it won't fix my problem.

doesn't sound like a psu problem, more stability, one note though most psu's operate at a lower wattage than advertised. had this problem not to long ago, psu spec wise was within limits but kept getting shut downs and hangs. replaced and everything works great. If your over clocking usually you need to tweak the voltage in order to get them to run stable. Also double check your heat output to make sure your in range. also you never mentioned if it runs stable once you set the cpu clock back to proper specs. if that doesnt' work you may want to check your trans cooler and timing chain

how did this question get here anyways ?

Kingoftypos
03-11-11, 04:54 PM
oh, and moved to lounge

Moved to the lounge??? Forget the lounge, how about computergeeks.com? I mean I've deal with the workings of slot machines at work, which are 90% computer. But clocking and all that stuff. I just remember changing a dip switch or two, this is back in the 90's. Now there's more to it? Geesh

KOT

JimmyH
03-11-11, 06:16 PM
That's the other reason I got out of computer building. Too many variables. Too many types of hardware that don't like to play nice with each other. Then there's the drivers... Gimme a pre-built computer with customized drivers. I'll pay the 20% premium.

Jesda
03-11-11, 06:49 PM
Sometimes the pre-built ones are cheaper thanks to the ads that come preinstalled. Whenever I pick up a new box for the doctors offices I spend 5 minutes installing essential programs and half an hour uninstalling junk.

But, it saves money.

JimmyH
03-11-11, 07:01 PM
^said mr hackintosh

Sevillian273
03-11-11, 07:43 PM
Lots of variables here. Remember that raising the multiplier also speeds up the memory. I would first assume that the memory is unstable at higher speeds.... Checkout overclockers.net, pcmech.com, tomshardware.com, etc... sites like that will have TONS of information. There are lots of things to tweak, lots of 'give-and-take' type scenarios for every situation. Try lowering the memory speed. - Of course that may make the cpu 'faster' on paper but it may also lower the overall system performance. You have LOTS of reading to do!