: Rust on Hood

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 05:52 PM
Ok so im looking for a little advice not sure how others feel about rust work
its actually really hard to find someone in cleveland that is a reputable and insurance shop that will do rust work
i have rust along the front of the hood its starting from the grill on the left side and goes all the way past the Driver side Headlamp so its a big portion of it then also on the back side of the hood close to the window
there is rust about the side of half your hand well my hand wich is big

So im debating on what to do
no way in hell im going to pay for it to be refinished because then it will just come right back chances are

so my other option is i can have it sand blasted one of the locale caddy dealerships will still do sandblasting for rust repair
but they want 600 to sand blast the hood then reseal and repaint it
what are my chances that the rust will come back ? is it high or low

second option is find a used hood that has no rust have them strip it sail it repaint it and that will probably cost about the same amount as sand blasting maybe a little less

3rd option is to get a aftermarket hood have them fill in the ornament hole what the body shop told me is they would have to weld a peace of sheet mettle to where the hole is since the aftermarkets all come with a hole
can pick up aftermarket for about 380 shipped on some websites
then probably spend about 400 to have it primed sailed and painted

or i can go to GMPD spend like and spend like spend 480 on the hood 233 on shipping so totale of lake 705 .00 on a NEW oem hood then spend 400 to have it painted and all

i asked Rippy chris about the hood he said that he could sell it to me for a decent price but i have to pick it up he cant ship for liability reasons and possible damage on a part that big

so what would you do in my feet ?

i wouldn't mind spending the 600 and have it sandblasted but if the possibility if the rust coming back is high then that is out of the question

also does anyone know why GM opted for an aluminum hood is it because of the weight it was lighter ?

i know all the aftermarket hoods that i see are steel but oem is Aluminum

drewsdeville
03-10-11, 06:00 PM
I'd take the time to search internet databases and call around to find a junkyard hood that's already the correct color. Bolt it on and you are done.

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 06:04 PM
I can pick up a Junkyard hood about 20 minutes from me 200 dollars same paint code same build year and all
no rust
but im afraid that rust will start
when i bought the seville the hood had no rust but here we are i think it started to rust over last spring so 12 months after buying it is when the rust showed up
so im afraid that might happen again if i don't take care of it before the rust hits

i just don't want to deal with it again in 2 years from now

drewsdeville
03-10-11, 06:09 PM
Living on Ohio, that possibility is just something you'll have to deal with.

If there is NO rust on that used hood now, there's no reason it will accumulate any with proper care.

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 06:16 PM
i always took care of the hood for the first year
i owned the seville no rust when i bought it so not sure how it came to be there last spring what was i doing wrong
i took it for car wash once a month waxed it well i didn't wax but the body shop detail shop i go to waxed it twice over the first year i had it
was there something els i should have been doing for treatment
is there a spray or something that you can put on a hood to avoid rust but something where you can spray it over the paint so you don't have to strip and repaint ?

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 06:18 PM
i always took care of the hood for the first year
i owned the seville no rust when i bought it so not sure how it came to be there last spring what was i doing wrong
i took it for car wash once a month waxed it well i didn't wax but the body shop detail shop i go to waxed it twice over the first year i had it
was there something els i should have been doing for treatment
is there a spray or something that you can put on a hood to avoid rust but something where you can spray it over the paint so you don't have to strip and repaint ?

cadillac kevin
03-10-11, 07:59 PM
I'd say either a bad paint job or possibly something that eats paint hitting the hood caused the rust. sanding it down to bare metal and repainting would get rid of the rust for a long time. problem is that if its pearescent paint (or whatever GM called it), it wont match when its repainted.

I'd go for the junkyard hood and call it a day.

btw, don't go to the dealer for a paint job unless you like getting royally f-ed.

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 08:32 PM
I'd say either a bad paint job or possibly something that eats paint hitting the hood caused the rust. sanding it down to bare metal and repainting would get rid of the rust for a long time. problem is that if its pearescent paint (or whatever GM called it), it wont match when its repainted.

I'd go for the junkyard hood and call it a day.

btw, don't go to the dealer for a paint job unless you like getting royally f-ed.

usualy the dealer body shop here is preaty decent Central Cadillac 44 dollars an hour is there body labor rate paint labor is 44 dollars and hour and also
i think the only thing they have there that is not 44 dollars and hour is the mechanic rate witch is 99 dollars an hour

yeah they told me if i repainted the hood with the same factory paint code it would not match unless they blended the fenders so it did not look off or anything
i think they where going to charge 175 per fender to blend them

but i think i am just going to go pick up that hood on the other side of town next week

Playdrv4me
03-10-11, 10:45 PM
I'd take the time to search internet databases and call around to find a junkyard hood that's already the correct color. Bolt it on and you are done.

^This. If you're so worried about it being an Ohio part, take a truck and go to a yard somewhere in the south. *IF* it's an ORIGINAL paint hood and any chips are covered it should NOT rust for many years. I see plenty of old Sevilles on Craigslist in your area with no rust.

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 10:57 PM
^This. If you're so worried about it being an Ohio part, take a truck and go to a yard somewhere in the south. *IF* it's an ORIGINAL paint hood and any chips are covered it should NOT rust for many years. I see plenty of old Sevilles on Craigslist in your area with no rust.

I think what might have been doen is the dealer sanded it down a bit then touched it up with some paint to try and make it look like it wasnt rusted

the car was not in a salt area it was from Pittsburgh owned and drove untill 2 years ago
it had the old owners info in the glove box so i was able to get some info on the car also he said never seen salt always sand

at fist i did not think it was rust i just thought maybe the sun was hitting it and that spot bad and it was just paint bubbling or something but then went i went to the shop they said it was rust starting to surface

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 10:59 PM
i was also doing some reading up thinking ones i get the new or replacment hood from the junkyard and its good im going to have one of those place around here that does those advisable bra's clear coat bras or what ever they are put on the hood hoping that might help also what you guys think ?

Playdrv4me
03-11-11, 01:10 AM
i was also doing some reading up thinking ones i get the new or replacment hood from the junkyard and its good im going to have one of those place around here that does those advisable bra's clear coat bras or what ever they are put on the hood hoping that might help also what you guys think ?

The 3M clear bras are a good investment, particularly for places when bits of gravel or sand can come in contact with the front of the car. There's not really a downside to using those except that over time they CAN turn yellow, but that is more of an issue in southern climates where there's lots of intense sunlight... just like headlight lenses in Florida.

ThumperPup
03-11-11, 01:31 AM
The 3M clear bras are a good investment, particularly for places when bits of gravel or sand can come in contact with the front of the car. There's not really a downside to using those except that over time they CAN turn yellow, but that is more of an issue in southern climates where there's lots of intense sunlight... just like headlight lenses in Florida.

ah well thats something els i would consider bfore doing that then cause this next winter is suposed to be my last winter in Ohio heading down south middle of next winter

so not sure i wnat to put something on there

Playdrv4me
03-11-11, 01:45 AM
ah well thats something els i would consider bfore doing that then cause this next winter is suposed to be my last winter in Ohio heading down south middle of next winter

so not sure i wnat to put something on there

I didn't mean that you CAN'T use them in the south, but just that the material they are made from can turn yellow quicker in the sunlight than in the northern climates. But even if it turns yellow you can just remove it and put a new one on. That would still take at least a few years before it ever changed color.

ThumperPup
03-11-11, 11:27 AM
I didn't mean that you CAN'T use them in the south, but just that the material they are made from can turn yellow quicker in the sunlight than in the northern climates. But even if it turns yellow you can just remove it and put a new one on. That would still take at least a few years before it ever changed color.

ah ok cool
if its somthing they spray on isnt it a spray they use or is it just a film that is clear and they put it on the front of the car ?
how do they remove it

see i did not know about all this

i just remember the GT has a Clear Bra on it that someone at the dealer put on as a terible job and they had to redue it but did not kno wthey took it off i thought they had to repaint over it or something and then put a new one on maybe i was wrong

Ranger
03-11-11, 01:39 PM
It's a film that is put on like a decal.

johnny kannapo
03-11-11, 01:46 PM
Heat to remove the film & chemical adhesive remover. If removed correctly you may find perfect paint under clear chip barrier.

ThumperPup
03-11-11, 01:51 PM
ah cool thanks didn't knwo that ok so for sure this is what im going to do when i get the hood next week first thing 2nd thing is take it to a shop and have them do the infisable bra thing just got to find somewhere that does that only place i know that does it for sure is the Dealership where dad goes
and i dont want to pay a fortune for it

but ok so thats the plan